What are gas prices where you're at?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 11:20:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What are gas prices where you're at?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 27
Author Topic: What are gas prices where you're at?  (Read 70269 times)
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2007, 01:49:30 AM »

It's about $3.25 for regular right now.  I heard that the price of oil jumped on Friday though, so I'm expecting it to go up.  I topped off my tank yesterday for that reason.

Unfortunately its about 70 miles round trip to work, but I get about 30 MPG so it's not that bad.

Another good thing about you taking the night shift you can at least get good gas mileage, going 15 mph on the LIE at 8:30 Am or 6:00 PM wouldn't be good for gas mileage.

Its all about RPMs. Ugh...I'm way too heavy on the gas in town. So many stop and gos.

True, although efficiency tends to drop off over 60mph, and with the traffic so light I'm often tempted to start speeding heavily when I'm heading home at 1am and the traffic is light.  Often I find myself approaching 80 when I look down at the speedometer and I have to ease off the gas.  I'm trying to do no more than low 70s, but you don't even notice when there's no one in front of you.  I've tried turning on the cruise, but the traffic is just heavy enough that it's not really feasible.

You sure 60mph?

I mean, if I do 70, my car only does about 2000 rpms in overdrive...which means i get about 28-32mph hwy...and its a v6

Well of course it's different for each car, but everything I've read about gas mileage always says that gas mileage usually decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph.

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2007, 01:55:26 AM »

It's about $3.25 for regular right now.  I heard that the price of oil jumped on Friday though, so I'm expecting it to go up.  I topped off my tank yesterday for that reason.

Unfortunately its about 70 miles round trip to work, but I get about 30 MPG so it's not that bad.

Another good thing about you taking the night shift you can at least get good gas mileage, going 15 mph on the LIE at 8:30 Am or 6:00 PM wouldn't be good for gas mileage.

Its all about RPMs. Ugh...I'm way too heavy on the gas in town. So many stop and gos.

True, although efficiency tends to drop off over 60mph, and with the traffic so light I'm often tempted to start speeding heavily when I'm heading home at 1am and the traffic is light.  Often I find myself approaching 80 when I look down at the speedometer and I have to ease off the gas.  I'm in no mood to get a speeding ticket, especially since my record is clean.  I'm trying to do no more than low 70s, but you don't even notice when there's no one in front of you.  I've tried turning on the cruise, but the traffic is just heavy enough that it's not really feasible.

True when i use to work for a mortgage company (which was in Babylon) I generally went in around 11:00 or so.  The traffic was generally pretty light and going east on sunrishe Highway, i would reach 80mph + without realizing it, especially once Sunrise opens up into more of a real Highway once you get east of 109.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2007, 09:29:34 AM »

About $2.85/gallon. We're always well below the national average.

I guess I was a little too smug because the price just shot over three dollars. This blows!
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2007, 01:04:20 PM »

Was $3.12, then $3.15, then $3.19, and now yesterday it jumped to $3.33

Recession, here we come!!!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2007, 02:04:25 PM »

I called that one in October 06.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2007, 05:31:23 AM »

I don't Know and as I don't have a car or a driver's license I don't really care - but I can assure you the price of petrol is much higher over here than in the United States.

And of course, again, it doesn't matter as much to you Euros is your countries are smaller and you drive a LOT less then we do. The sheer size of our states, let alone our nation is so large that driving is pretty much mandatory to survive/make a living the only way to really save on fuel by using public transport is to live in a major city. So really, when it comes down to it, I'd think comparing Europe to the USA in gas usage/driving needs is like comparing apples to oranges.

Just because the country is large doesn't mean people can't live in concentrated urbanizations.  The reason for US fuel wastage is bad public policy (or rather public policy that prioritizes other values than economic efficiency), not the physical size of the country.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2007, 06:36:05 AM »

I don't Know and as I don't have a car or a driver's license I don't really care - but I can assure you the price of petrol is much higher over here than in the United States.

And of course, again, it doesn't matter as much to you Euros is your countries are smaller and you drive a LOT less then we do. The sheer size of our states, let alone our nation is so large that driving is pretty much mandatory to survive/make a living the only way to really save on fuel by using public transport is to live in a major city. So really, when it comes down to it, I'd think comparing Europe to the USA in gas usage/driving needs is like comparing apples to oranges.

Just because the country is large doesn't mean people can't live in concentrated urbanizations.  The reason for US fuel wastage is bad public policy (or rather public policy that prioritizes other values than economic efficiency), not the physical size of the country.

Not everyone in the US can/wants to live in an urban area. I doubt many Euros either here on this board on in general drive 15+ miles to work, one way, on a daily basis.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2007, 01:24:38 PM »

Not everyone in the US can/wants to live in an urban area. I doubt many Euros either here on this board on in general drive 15+ miles to work, one way, on a daily basis.

States, the point is there is nothing about the US that makes living absurdly far away from everything inevitable.  Most European countries are made up of mostly empty space, just like the Bad Place.   However public policy in the US has made it very difficult to live in urban areas, creating a major economic problem.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2007, 01:56:39 AM »

4.80$ yesterday (Diesel)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2007, 02:59:55 AM »

Gas is about $3.50 a gallon here.

There is evidence that oil has already peaked.

Maybe someone who cared about finding new energy sources should have been elected President, instead of electing a ticket of 2 Texas oil men?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2007, 05:11:28 AM »

jfern, I fear the brash confidence most people have that 'alternative fuels' are really available and capable of sustaining the present standard of living is unwarranted and excessively optimistic. 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2007, 10:10:08 AM »

Gas prices dropped a whoppin 2 cents overnight.  They were at $3.32, now they're at $3.30.  Not a big change, but a step in the right direction.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2007, 02:02:15 PM »

NJ is, as of today, the only state with gas prices below $3.00/gal. (New Hampshire went over $3.00/gal today.) My closest gas station is currently at $2.90/gal for regular.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2007, 03:05:37 PM »

NJ is, as of today, the only state with gas prices below $3.00/gal. (New Hampshire went over $3.00/gal today.) My closest gas station is currently at $2.90/gal for regular.

I heard on the Weather Channel this morning that South Carolina is also under $3.00, even closer to $2.70.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2007, 05:16:04 PM »

Gas is about $3.50 a gallon here.

There is evidence that oil has already peaked.

Maybe someone who cared about finding new energy sources should have been elected President, instead of electing a ticket of 2 Texas oil men?

What did Clinton do about alternative energy?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2007, 05:42:35 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2007, 05:46:48 PM by Verily »

I heard on the Weather Channel this morning that South Carolina is also under $3.00, even closer to $2.70.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/

New Jersey's at $2.934/gal. South Carolina is exactly at $3.000/gal.

EDIT: While I was posting that, South Carolina dropped to $2.996/gal, which is still essentially $3.00/gal but technically below it.
Conan
conan

« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2007, 07:07:31 PM »

EDIT: While I was posting that, South Carolina dropped to $2.996/gal, which is still essentially $3.00/gal but technically below it.
The newspaper said we had the lowest in the nation. It's 2.90 where i live.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2007, 07:10:22 PM »

The newspaper said we had the lowest in the nation. It's 2.90 where i live.

Yeah, but you still can't pump it yourself. Suckers!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2007, 01:00:22 AM »

The gas price in the Netherlands is nearly 8$ the gallon now ...
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2007, 01:39:19 AM »

The gas price in the Netherlands is nearly 8$ the gallon now ...

And the average Dutch person drives how many miles in a week? We have states the size of countries here and some people drive them on a bi-weekly basis. Can Euros say the same? I think not.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2007, 09:15:41 AM »

Though Massachusetts has a terrible reputation for high taxes, I've never actually found that reputation justified.  We have one of the lowest sales tax rates at 5%, and some of the lowest gasoline taxes in the country: the last time I filled up, it was at $2.959 a gallon.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2007, 10:25:08 AM »

The cheapest station has it at $2.86. Most are at $2.99.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2007, 10:52:34 AM »

After jumping up to $3.07, the gas is back down to $2.93.  Still higher than the $1.97 earlier this year though.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2007, 11:21:42 AM »

We've come down from $3.32 to around $2.92
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2007, 09:59:23 PM »

In central IL gas was down as low as $3.03 today. However, it was $3.54 in the Chicago 'burbs.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies