NYT: Who Would Donald Trump Choose as his Running Mate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 04:46:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  NYT: Who Would Donald Trump Choose as his Running Mate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: NYT: Who Would Donald Trump Choose as his Running Mate?  (Read 1777 times)
oldtimer
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2024, 08:12:41 AM »

Huckabee Sanders seems to tick many important boxes.

- Sufficient experience
- Woman
- Appeal to evangelicals
- Not likely to overshadow Trump

Tucker Carlson, for example, lacks all of these qualities. Democrats should be hoping that he is the pick. Potentially the most disasterous ticket since McGovern-Eagleton.

The 1st requirement for a VP is to prevent an impeachment or assasination, by simply being hated more by the President's enemies (in this case Liberals).

Sanders and the Carsons (Ben & Tucker) tick that.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2024, 08:33:59 AM »

It will be Nancy Mace.

When you eliminate all the unacceptable options you are left with a shortlist of virtually one or two names. All of whom have excellent cases against them except they are the only ones left .

She is a younger, attractive, female Trump in her instincts and Trump values instincts over specific issues or actions.

Also the natural endpoint of the Post 2016 timeliness is President Nancy Mace.
Mace would be an excellent pick

Mace is a weak candidate who’d be a horrible pick for Trump.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2024, 08:55:38 AM »

It will be Nancy Mace.

When you eliminate all the unacceptable options you are left with a shortlist of virtually one or two names. All of whom have excellent cases against them except they are the only ones left .

She is a younger, attractive, female Trump in her instincts and Trump values instincts over specific issues or actions.

Also the natural endpoint of the Post 2016 timeliness is President Nancy Mace.
Mace would be an excellent pick

Mace is a weak candidate who’d be a horrible pick for Trump.
She's folksy, spunky and attractive. She's also from a state that's between NC and GA, the former of which Trump would be DOA without.
White Cloud
Rookie
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2024, 11:55:26 AM »

I've been reading Noem's autobiography. She, like Trump, is very much a Washington outsider. She is basically a farm girl from the plains, whose family had no background in politics. Her politics and his politics are very similar. They both have that "drain the swamp" anti-Washington approach to things. When you look at their relationship and the comments that they've made about each other, it's obvious that there's something there.

I think it would be a smart choice for Trump. She would help him with white women, which is a group that he needs to do better with. It would also neutralize any effect of Harris being a woman VP. Noem would wipe the floor with Harris in a debate. I also think if it ever came to it, Noem would be a good first woman president. The feminists would hate her, but I think America would like her.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2024, 11:57:37 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2024, 12:03:25 PM by I'm not a genocide apologist »

If i were an advisor, i'd advise Kristi Noem.

She seems acceptable for many core demographics within the Republicans, is relatively popular, adds some diversity to the ticket. She is not radical enough to alienate the more still remaining moderate elements within the GOP and does have her connections but she also isn't disloyal to Trumpism and wouldn't alienate hardcore trumpists.

Many of the other options, i think won't work at all. Haley seems to not fit well. And honestly her presidential run is gonna damage the VP prospects. But she also doesn't fit well with Trump I feel. I think Lake probably makes most sense if Noem declines but Lake is much more toxic, but let's be fair, so is Trump to many. I don't think many people aren't gonna vote for Trump because Lake is on the ticket.

The other way is riskier imo (someone who is too moderate or not loyal enough to Trump).

Noem potentially is a strong candidate or in a good position to take over in 2028. Being VP of Trump probably could put her in a front-runners position. However being second to Trump in what is inevitably going to be a controversially second term isn't going to be easy for her to navigate through. She and Harris are probably among the most likely to be elected first female president in the future at this point.
White Cloud
Rookie
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2024, 01:39:54 PM »

I thought it was interesting to see that J.D. Vance is in the courtroom today for Trump's trial in New York. He spoke some words to the media in defense of Trump. And I noticed that when Trump spoke to the media, Vance was behind him standing with the others who had gathered there. My sense is that J.D. is higher on the VP list than people think. He comes across to me as a Trumpian style of politician with a little more of an intellectual side.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2024, 01:56:26 PM »

I thought it was interesting to see that J.D. Vance is in the courtroom today for Trump's trial in New York. He spoke some words to the media in defense of Trump. And I noticed that when Trump spoke to the media, Vance was behind him standing with the others who had gathered there. My sense is that J.D. is higher on the VP list than people think. He comes across to me as a Trumpian style of politician with a little more of an intellectual side.

If he’s picked, then I eagerly await the ads about the time Vance explicitly compared Trump to Adolf Hitler.  Lots of fun material from Vance’s #NeverTrump days tbh.  I think Vance has a real shot at getting picked, but he’d also backfire badly on Trump for a variety of reasons.  If I were an advisor, I’d recommend Joni Ernst.  Of the names bandied about, Scott and Vance would be disasters.  Rubio and Doug Burgrum are a decidedly dull flavor of meh at best.  Noem is obviously DOA at this point.
White Cloud
Rookie
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2024, 02:44:05 PM »

If I were an advisor, I’d recommend Joni Ernst.

Interesting. She certainly has more gravitas than Stefanik and more of a conservative pedigree than Gabbard.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies