NYT: Who Would Donald Trump Choose as his Running Mate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 08:14:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  NYT: Who Would Donald Trump Choose as his Running Mate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: NYT: Who Would Donald Trump Choose as his Running Mate?  (Read 1778 times)
Octowakandi
Octosteel
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 26, 2023, 03:43:07 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/us/politics/donald-trump-vp.html

I think probably a pretty good breakdown of all the options. Some thoughts looking at this.

Noem seems like the one with most pros and few cons. If he's going for the safe pick, she makes a lot of sense.

Haley has a lot of benefits but seems to struggle most with what Trump would still think about her. Also her lack of loyalty will be a large issue.

Rubio is probably not a terrible suggestion that I don't really see anyone toss around. Surprised to hear more talk about Scott who has less of an upside than a Spanish speaker.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 03:57:43 PM »

I still think he'll go with either Noem or Stefanik. No matter what, I think he wants a woman and those two seem much less risky than picking someone like Lake or MTG without the "disloyalty" concerns that Haley or Ernst might bring.
Octowakandi
Octosteel
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 04:13:49 PM »

I still think he'll go with either Noem or Stefanik. No matter what, I think he wants a woman and those two seem much less risky than picking someone like Lake or MTG without the "disloyalty" concerns that Haley or Ernst might bring.
At the same time, the most important thing about Haley is probably bringing in the dissident GOP who dislike Trump. While those voters aren't a huge number, they do hold a lot of money that would otherwise be withheld from the Trump campaign. And if he's going to be both surviving lawsuits and running a campaign, he's going to need a lot more cash.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2023, 04:35:38 PM »

Why does it have to be a woman? I'm sick of Republicans buying the affirmative action nonsense. There have been 3 female VP candidates in history: Ferraro, Palin, and Harris- none of which were good candidates. The best VP for Trump is a straight white male and I hope he realizes that.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2023, 04:57:38 PM »

Why does it have to be a woman? I'm sick of Republicans buying the affirmative action nonsense. There have been 3 female VP candidates in history: Ferraro, Palin, and Harris- none of which were good candidates. The best VP for Trump is a straight white male and I hope he realizes that.

The rational for a woman specifically is to have someone to reach out and connect with women voters who’ve left the party like it’s a sinking ship (which it is imo)
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2023, 05:04:55 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2023, 05:09:09 PM by Shaula🏳️‍⚧️ »

Nikki Haley’s cons all rely on the notion, basically, that “Trump’s ego won’t let him pick someone who has ambitions, nor would his ego let him pick someone who previously criticized him”

And it is probably true that Trump prefers someone loyal and free of  ambition. But at the same time, he wants to win the presidency. I think between the two forces - winning the presidency versus soothing his ego - the desire to get back the White House wins over
It's not exactly that, it's that clearly his biggest problem with Pence is that he wasn't loyal enough, and Haley is even less loyal than Pence would ever be. Not to mention on multiple issues she's hostile to the Trump agenda.

I've rarely been completely certain about things, but I'm 100% certain Trump would never pick Haley as VP.

Remember Trump is open to picking more "electable" people, but his red line is 2020.
RilakkuMAGA
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.26, S: -2.43

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2023, 05:06:25 PM »

From a Trump perspective, Huckabee Sanders or Elise Stefanik is probably the safest best.

You really just want someone who adds balance and won't embarass him or backstab him.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2023, 05:06:48 PM »

It’s a paywall for me.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2023, 05:09:22 PM »

Use archive.org.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2023, 05:18:51 PM »

From a Trump perspective, Huckabee Sanders or Elise Stefanik is probably the safest best.

You really just want someone who adds balance and won't embarass him or backstab him.

Stefanik would absolutely break with trump if she felt it to her advantage long term
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2023, 05:20:06 PM »

Stefanik would absolutely break with trump if she felt it to her advantage long term
That is true. I remember seeing an article that said Trumpworld has been kinda skeptical of her because of her ambition.
Octowakandi
Octosteel
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2023, 05:38:11 PM »

That is true. I remember seeing an article that said Trumpworld has been kinda skeptical of her because of her ambition.

Stefanik I don’t think really helps that much with the disaffected Republicans and also doesn’t give much in terms of loyalty. She’s sort of worst of both worlds. When it comes to electoral benefit v loyalty for a female VP, I think it comes down to Noem or Haley.

If he doesn’t care about a woman, his options really do open up but it seems he’s pretty laser focused on a woman. Sanders I think wouldn’t add anything.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2023, 05:41:37 PM »

Something which disadvantages's the chances of Vivek of becoming VP is that he claims that he doesn't want to be VP. He of course could be political posturing but if he truly doesn't want to be VP, he won't be VP.
Redban

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2023, 05:47:49 PM »

Stefanik comes off as a Paul Ryan sort of VP pick

Like Ryan, Stefanik has a high status in the House, but also like Ryan, she just doesn’t come across  as presidential; she doesn’t convey the aura of a would-be president. Part of the issue is that House members seem to rarely do well in presidential races because they represent narrow districts. But another issue is that Stefanik, like Ryan in 2012, is very young. Stefanik would be 40 next year. Ryan was 42 in 2012. And she looks young too, just as Ryan did.

With Trump’s age, he probably would be better off with someone more obviously  presidential
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2023, 06:59:07 PM »

He is not picking Little Marco.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2023, 09:29:41 PM »

The best VP for Trump is a straight white male and I hope he realizes that.

Why?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2023, 09:55:09 PM »

Watch him go totally out of left field and not pick any of the above.
Octowakandi
Octosteel
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2023, 10:33:25 PM »

Stefanik comes off as a Paul Ryan sort of VP pick

Like Ryan, Stefanik has a high status in the House, but also like Ryan, she just doesn’t come across  as presidential; she doesn’t convey the aura of a would-be president. Part of the issue is that House members seem to rarely do well in presidential races because they represent narrow districts. But another issue is that Stefanik, like Ryan in 2012, is very young. Stefanik would be 40 next year. Ryan was 42 in 2012. And she looks young too, just as Ryan did.

With Trump’s age, he probably would be better off with someone more obviously  presidential

Man, I forgot how terrible of a pick Ryan was. I remember my thought at the time was "who?" Just seems like picking a House member comes off as weak. Like a clear Tier 3 choice, regardless of how "impressive" they are. Jack Kemp in 96, Geraldine Ferraro in 1984, William Miller in 64, not even sure who was before that. It's just not something you really do since they rarely provide anything except a "First X to be nominated VP."
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2023, 10:40:27 PM »

The best VP for Trump is a straight white male and I hope he realizes that.

Why?

Republicans are bigots ig
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2023, 10:44:25 PM »

Maybe she'd Underwood Trump.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2023, 12:17:25 AM »

Launched a coup and thereatened his last VP killed for refusing to cooperate. 91 indictments. Countless frauds. A constant stream of threats of political violence. Plans to declare martial law on the first day of a new term in office. And the f-ing New York Times f-ing runs a VP puff piece. "Fourth Estate"? Like hell. Which is where the NYT belongs.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2023, 12:19:53 AM »

Launched a coup and thereatened his last VP killed for refusing to cooperate. 91 indictments. Countless frauds. A constant stream of threats of political violence. Plans to declare martial law on the first day of a new term in office. And the f-ing New York Times f-ing runs a VP puff piece. "Fourth Estate"? Like hell. Which is where the NYT belongs.

Eh, it’s an interesting field analysis of where different people (and the wings they represent) stand when it comes to trump, which when you have a person running a party like a mob organization is pretty important
Octowakandi
Octosteel
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2023, 12:29:30 AM »

Did you want them to keep Trump political news in the entertainment section like that what newspaper in 2015?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2023, 12:39:20 AM »

Eh, it’s an interesting field analysis of where different people (and the wings they represent) stand when it comes to trump, which when you have a person running a party like a mob organization is pretty important

That he is running half the political establishment of this country as though it were an organized crime enterprise is more important than the NYT's effing "Trumpologly" musings. Crap like this normalizes him, which is the last thing a responsible journalistic enterprise ought to be doing.

Octowakandi
Octosteel
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2023, 01:12:21 AM »

That he is running half the political establishment of this country as though it were an organized crime enterprise is more important than the NYT's effing "Trumpologly" musings. Crap like this normalizes him, which is the last thing a responsible journalistic enterprise ought to be doing.

I'm not sure it's normalizing anything. He was elected President of the United States and is the frontrunner for the Presidency right now. The time to deny him air was in 2015 or immediately post-2020. But that's clearly failed.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies