Official 2023 General Election Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 04:36:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Official 2023 General Election Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 77
Author Topic: Official 2023 General Election Results Thread  (Read 30617 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: November 07, 2023, 04:55:05 PM »

How is that even possible?

Guesstimation; some kind of coding error or broken sensor/reader device within the machine?

Poor calibration of the sensors can do it on touch-screen machines, i.e. it reads a touch at point (X,Y) as one at (X+something,Y+something).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #176 on: November 07, 2023, 04:55:34 PM »

So, only Ohio Ballot Measures will apparently have Exit Polling.

Conclusion = Edison Research are the biggest FRAUDS ever!

Could just be that no media outlets cared to have and pay for any other exit polling conducted.

I mean, I get this stuff costs money, but Ohio of all places, where the measures seem like the most likely outcome of the entire night seems like a weird place to spend money. At least chip in for KY, since the results of that exit poll would be fascinating given there is considerable likely crossover support.

The Ohio numbers are most relevant to the national picture though, which is what the news media ultimately cares about. Remember, exit polls exist not just to predict the outcome, but to show demographic data. The latter is really what the news media cares about when it comes to abortion (as far as marijuana being polled, it's just tagging along for the ride). To the extent that the KY and MS races are nationalized (particularly the former), that will be shown in the topline results.

Virginia elections are far more relevant than Ohio.

I don't think the national networks have ever done exit polling for state legislatures though.
Furthermore the results would be kind of useless since only voters in a few districts matter anyway.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #177 on: November 07, 2023, 04:57:37 PM »

VaTech is going to pass 2022 turnout.

It's worth noting that 2022 was actually a pretty trivial election in Virginia, because there was no Senate seat up and all state offices and the legislature are in odd years, the only thing on the ballot was the US House and maybe some random county or local offices, and Blacksburg is in a Safe R House district, so hardly much reason to vote then. But this does show that heatcharger's "vibes" were wrong and turnout isn't cratering.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #178 on: November 07, 2023, 05:08:13 PM »

Chaz is now saying Lily Franklin may be favored in HD-41. He rates this a Lean GOP district.

soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #179 on: November 07, 2023, 05:14:41 PM »

Chaz is now saying Lily Franklin may be favored in HD-41. He rates this a Lean GOP district.

What Seat would this be for the Dems? Definitely past 52-48, right?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #180 on: November 07, 2023, 05:15:07 PM »

First polls close in KY in 45 minutes. I honestly can't wait. I might be insane, but I love election nights. I just wish I was able to take off tomorrow...
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #181 on: November 07, 2023, 05:17:15 PM »

I wonder if anyone has freaked out over the free food at VTech yet? IIRC in some states free bottles of water/snacks to voters is a huge controversy and seen as a cheating tactic lol.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #182 on: November 07, 2023, 05:17:17 PM »

She could still easily lose, or she could win, but I need to get this out of my system. Everyone got collectively gaslit here in terms of the district's partisanship. Everyone knows about how allocating mail votes led to PG county having more Dems in the west and less in the east under the 2020 results breakdowns than there actually were.

But everyone forgot there are other counties where this occurred, not to any single parties benefit, and this included Montgomery county.  The normal polarization between the university in Blacksburg and the rural precincts does not work well with county-wide allocation of VBM. Toss in a county cut and the university being under COVID protocols and 2020 was not a good baseline here. It's still more Republican than the state, but not 10 points more GOP than VA. That is visible from pre-Covid elections.
jvmh2009
Rookie
United States
« Reply #183 on: November 07, 2023, 05:17:32 PM »

First polls close in KY in 45 minutes. I honestly can't wait. I might be insane, but I love election nights. I just wish I was able to take off tomorrow...
Same... I am literally.bouncing in my seat. Might be the caffeine but I love elections. And the data from them especially
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #184 on: November 07, 2023, 05:17:47 PM »

According to his forecasts, he has it as 55ish.
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #185 on: November 07, 2023, 05:17:59 PM »

I luckily don’t have class till 2:30 tomorrow
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #186 on: November 07, 2023, 05:19:06 PM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #187 on: November 07, 2023, 05:19:28 PM »

53 or 54. This is a Trump +1 district, and if they lose here, they’re done.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #188 on: November 07, 2023, 05:20:33 PM »

It really is insane that any state has a 6PM poll closing time.
Respect and Compassion
United States

« Reply #189 on: November 07, 2023, 05:22:22 PM »

The 2023 Kentucky Gubernatorial race is one of the elections I've been most uncertain about in a long time. It's a race winnable for both sides where the range of most likely margins is very wide - in my view, anywhere from Cameron+2 to Beshear+5. This is in contrast to close races where it could go either way but the most likely margins range from R+1 to D+1 (e.g. how I'd say it was for Romney vs Obama in Florida back in 2012). Also in contrast to races where the range of most likely margins is wide, but the outcome isn't in doubt (e.g. the 2021 NYC Mayoral race)
jvmh2009
Rookie
United States
« Reply #190 on: November 07, 2023, 05:23:29 PM »

That's how they keep the working class down.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #191 on: November 07, 2023, 05:24:14 PM »

Exit poll looks very good for the pro-choice side in Ohio.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #192 on: November 07, 2023, 05:24:46 PM »

If Republicans lose that district then it's a disaster night for them,  this is also a good chunk of the area that makes up SD-4.
Birdish
Bartlet2002
United States

« Reply #193 on: November 07, 2023, 05:25:31 PM »

That's how they keep the working class down.

I remember someone once explaining to me that the early poll closing time had something to do with Coal Miners getting to vote. Although I can't remember the entire context as to why.
Splash
United States

« Reply #194 on: November 07, 2023, 05:25:48 PM »

These exit polls will get adjusted as real vote data comes in but fwiw:

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #195 on: November 07, 2023, 05:26:46 PM »

Just FYI for all involved, these type of lawsuits are very common and almost in-and-out. Some judges are even on standby for them. They happen cause there is no way to extend hours, but that is the obvious solution to all involved. So there needs to be a emergency court order.

Last year a big one was all of Harris county got an extra hour cause of widespread delays in opening polling locations distant from Houston city center and government offices.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #196 on: November 07, 2023, 05:30:19 PM »

Issue 1 is winning in a landslide. Likely to see good results for Issue 2 as well.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #197 on: November 07, 2023, 05:31:11 PM »

Alright did my usual “Snapmaps” anecdotal analysis. For VA the data is mixed, for KY it does appear there is possibly a slight advantage in more Beshear friendly areas, and for MS there seems to be a good turnout overall with the exception of Jackson and the Gulf Coast. Read into this how you will.
Anything on New Jersey ?
So little data I just scrapped it. That may imply low turnout, or maybe Jerseyites are ashamed of their voting stickers, who knows…
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #198 on: November 07, 2023, 05:31:55 PM »

It's a Trump+1 seat but super polarized, Blacksburg of course is super-D and the rest of it is super-R rural countryside. So if the Democrats win it probably means rural turnout dipped and Blacksburg turnout was solid. The latter seems to be true so far. If that happens it means the Democrats are probably favored for control because it looks like all of the swing seats are ones where the Republicans rely on very Republican rural areas to counter D areas, but it's also not clear if turnout patterns in the mountainous part of western Virginia will be the same as turnout in the rest of rural Virginia.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #199 on: November 07, 2023, 05:32:16 PM »

My last piece of advice before results come in: Always keep things in perspective, never just look at the binary outcome (D/R win).

If Pressley and Beshear both lose by 1, for instance, they still massively overperformed the D baseline in their states.

Similarly, if VA Republicans lose a bunch of tipping-point races by the skin of their teeth, it’s far from a devastating showing for them in a state that leans very much to the left.  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies