Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 08:33:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 319 320 321 322 323 [324] 325 326 327 328 329 ... 333
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 246425 times)
axiomsofdominion
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8075 on: June 10, 2024, 02:20:05 PM »

Question for the pro-Palestine crowd. Who is responsible for the collateral in this operation to free the 4 hostages, Israel or Hamas?

"Responsibility" is for when one of your kids breaks a vase. For adults, the answer is that both Israel and Hamas have repeatedly and intentionally failed to minimize Palestinian civilian deaths, which they both have an obligation to do. That's not an either/or question, and neither side need wait for the other to clean up its act before cleaning up theirs.
Which side was more at fault?

What do you think Israel should have done here? Just not even try to free these 4 to begin with? Let Hamas gun down the Israeli soldiers and hostages rather than conduct air strikes to let them get out of there?

Did you not follow the thread? GALeftist is the one that said Bibi should simply accept the hostage deal on the table and free all the hostages with no loss of life. Why ask a question they already answered. The fact that no such deal actually exists does not bother them.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8076 on: June 10, 2024, 03:00:21 PM »

Question for the pro-Palestine crowd. Who is responsible for the collateral in this operation to free the 4 hostages, Israel or Hamas?

Doesn't matter because they shouldn't have rescued the hostages anyways, don't you know? Insidious of them.

Yeah how dare people get all worked up about the fact that hundreds of Palestinians were killed in the raid to save four Israeli hostages. The lives of the latter are obviously more important, and if you disagree you’re pro-terrorist. Roll Eyes
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #8077 on: June 10, 2024, 03:10:43 PM »

"Responsibility" is for when one of your kids breaks a vase. For adults, the answer is that both Israel and Hamas have repeatedly and intentionally failed to minimize Palestinian civilian deaths, which they both have an obligation to do. That's not an either/or question, and neither side need wait for the other to clean up its act before cleaning up theirs.
Which side was more at fault?

What do you think Israel should have done here? Just not even try to free these 4 to begin with? Let Hamas gun down the Israeli soldiers and hostages rather than conduct air strikes to let them get out of there?

Did you not follow the thread? GALeftist is the one that said Bibi should simply accept the hostage deal on the table and free all the hostages with no loss of life. Why ask a question they already answered. The fact that no such deal actually exists does not bother them.

If Israel agreed to the deal they laid out and Hamas refused it because they were more interested in killing hostages than in ending the war or whatever, I'd probably change my tune significantly! As of now, though, Netanyahu seems to be wholly beholden to the fascists in his government and therefore unable to do so.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8078 on: June 10, 2024, 04:08:30 PM »

Doesn't matter because they shouldn't have rescued the hostages anyways, don't you know? Insidious of them.

Yeah how dare people get all worked up about the fact that hundreds of Palestinians were killed in the raid to save four Israeli hostages. The lives of the latter are obviously more important, and if you disagree you’re pro-terrorist. Roll Eyes

Their deaths were caused by Hamas flooding area with militants. I am very worked up about how potentially hundreds, but we don't know the count of civilians vs militants, of civilians died and frankly I think the people aren't going after Hamas for causing all those deaths is awful.

The thing that is disagreed on is whether Israel is at fault for the deaths. Terrorist supporters like you think they are, non-terrorists agree that Hamas is responsible for starting a giant firefight with heavy explosives and machine guns in a civilian area that caused potentially hundreds of innocent civilians and one Israeli hostage rescuer to die.

Another name for the terrorist ignore list, thanks for outing yourself.

Calling other posters are terrorists should be sanctionable behaviour.
axiomsofdominion
United States

« Reply #8079 on: June 10, 2024, 04:13:47 PM »

Their deaths were caused by Hamas flooding area with militants. I am very worked up about how potentially hundreds, but we don't know the count of civilians vs militants, of civilians died and frankly I think the people aren't going after Hamas for causing all those deaths is awful.

The thing that is disagreed on is whether Israel is at fault for the deaths. Terrorist supporters like you think they are, non-terrorists agree that Hamas is responsible for starting a giant firefight with heavy explosives and machine guns in a civilian area that caused potentially hundreds of innocent civilians and one Israeli hostage rescuer to die.

Terrorist supporters. And the claim stands up. The problem for the mods is that if they ban for that they'd have to ban many of those terrorist supporters from the obvious implications of their claims about the anti-Hamas side. Although I know forum moderators in some places are very happy to play a game where obvious implications are allowed but clear statements are not allowed. No idea how the mods here fall.

I accept any moderation decision because saying that Israel and not Hamas is responsible for the deaths in this specific incident, the hostage rescue, does in fact make someone a terrorist supporter.

Some people on the pro-Hamas side have even gone so far as to say that Oct 7th was justified resistance. I'm not super motivated to go back and see if anyone here said that, but given their current comments I suspect prudence is the only thing holding some people back.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8080 on: June 10, 2024, 04:18:06 PM »

I accept any moderation decision because saying that Israel and not Hamas is responsible for the deaths in this specific incident, the hostage rescue, does in fact make someone a terrorist supporter.

If an Israeli soldier pulled the trigger and shot someone dead, then they are responsible for that death. Whether pulling the trigger was morally justified depends on the circumstances.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8081 on: June 10, 2024, 04:20:54 PM »

Terrorist supporters. And the claim stands up. The problem for the mods is that if they ban for that they'd have to ban many of those terrorist supporters from the obvious implications of their claims about the anti-Hamas side. Although I know forum moderators in some places are very happy to play a game where obvious implications are allowed but clear statements are not allowed. No idea how the mods here fall.

Some people on the pro-Hamas side have even gone so far as to say that Oct 7th was justified resistance. I'm not super motivated to go back and see if anyone here said that, but given their current comments I suspect prudence is the only thing holding some people back.

And I happen to think that's low behaviour, but labelling someone a terrorist supporter-without evidence and just because they expressed some concern for civilian lives-is just as low. You don't get to label people as terrorist supporters because they express a different view from you; the mods have been ruthless on this in the past.
axiomsofdominion
United States

« Reply #8082 on: June 10, 2024, 04:23:45 PM »

If an Israeli soldier pulled the trigger and shot someone dead, then they are responsible for that death. Whether pulling the trigger was morally justified depends on the circumstances.

Not correct. They were the cause of the death but they are not necessarily responsible.
axiomsofdominion
United States

« Reply #8083 on: June 10, 2024, 04:28:08 PM »

And I happen to think that's low behaviour, but labelling someone a terrorist supporter-without evidence and just because they expressed some concern for civilian lives-is just as low. You don't get to label people as terrorist supporters because they express a different view from you; the mods have been ruthless on this in the past.

No I've been extremely clear on this. Expressing concern for civilians lives doesn't make someone a terrorist supporter. After I've expressed such concern in this very thread myself.

Yes it would be horrible to say that anyone who expresses concern for civilian lives is necessarily a terrorist supporters.

What makes someone a terrorist supporter is attributing civilian deaths to a party performing a hostage rescue where they made a clear effort to get in and out with as little fuss as possible because a bunch of militants and/or terrorists opened fire on them, almost killing both Noa and the 3 male hostages including the use of anti-tank and anti-air weapons while charging towards the hostages and rescuers with hundreds of armed men carrying machine guns and firing on them which forced a defensive response.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8084 on: June 10, 2024, 04:59:39 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2024, 05:05:53 PM by pppolitics »

No I've been extremely clear on this. Expressing concern for civilians lives doesn't make someone a terrorist supporter. After I've expressed such concern in this very thread myself.

Yes it would be horrible to say that anyone who expresses concern for civilian lives is necessarily a terrorist supporters.

What makes someone a terrorist supporter is attributing civilian deaths to a party performing a hostage rescue where they made a clear effort to get in and out with as little fuss as possible because a bunch of militants and/or terrorists opened fire on them, almost killing both Noa and the 3 male hostages including the use of anti-tank and anti-air weapons while charging towards the hostages and rescuers with hundreds of armed men carrying machine guns and firing on them which forced a defensive response.

Israel is responsible for those civilian casualties.

In an operation like this, there are likely to be collateral damage

Pointing that out doesn't make someone a "terrorist supporter".
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #8085 on: June 10, 2024, 05:00:46 PM »

Why are we ignoring that the reason for these civilian deaths is because Hamas decided to pick a fight with the rescue squad in the middle of a crowded area? Was the IDF just supposed to let themselves and the hostages be gunned down?
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8086 on: June 10, 2024, 05:03:33 PM »

Meh, let them call us "pro-terrorist" or whatever other label they'd like to slap onto us. I've been called that enough times at this point that I've simply stopped giving a f**k at this point.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8087 on: June 10, 2024, 05:04:28 PM »

Why are we ignoring that the reason for these civilian deaths is because Hamas decided to pick a fight with the rescue squad in the middle of a crowded area? Was the IDF just supposed to let themselves and the hostages be gunned down?
What's your point?

In an operation like this, there are likely to be collateral damage (esp. in the form of civilian injuries and deaths).

There is nothing wrong with pointing that out.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #8088 on: June 10, 2024, 05:05:06 PM »

And you wonder why your Jewish friends don’t want to associate with you anymore.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8089 on: June 10, 2024, 05:06:22 PM »

And you wonder why your Jewish friends don’t want to associate with you anymore.

What are you talking about?
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #8090 on: June 10, 2024, 05:07:01 PM »

What's your point?

In an operation like this, there are likely to be collateral damage (esp. in the form of civilian injuries and deaths).

You know that Hamas simply could have not opened fire on them in a crowded area, right?

Are you saying that Israel should not free its own citizens if there’s even a chance of collateral damage?
axiomsofdominion
United States

« Reply #8091 on: June 10, 2024, 05:09:29 PM »

What's your point?

You know that Hamas simply could have not opened fire on them in a crowded area, right?

Are you saying that Israel should not free its own citizens if there’s even a chance of collateral damage?

Now, now. You can't expect Hamas not to pointlessly cause the deaths of hundreds of their own citizens, again though we don't actually know how many civilians died, that's an unfair expectation. In fact didn't a Hamas guy literally say it wasn't the job of Hamas to protect Palestinians and that it was the job the the Jews and the UN? Case closed eh?
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8092 on: June 10, 2024, 05:10:44 PM »

What's your point?

No, and don't put words in my mouth.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #8093 on: June 10, 2024, 05:12:57 PM »

If there was a hostage situation near Times Square and the NYPD responded by calling in multiple airstrikes, killing hundreds of random passersby to rescue a handful of hostages, would you say that the NYPD deserves no blame or criticism whatsoever and that all responsibility lies with the hostage takers?
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8094 on: June 10, 2024, 05:37:30 PM »

UN Security Council approves US proposal for permanent ceasefire in Gaza
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #8095 on: June 10, 2024, 05:49:01 PM »

What's your point?

…The point is that these civilians deaths are all on Hamas because they started a firefight with the IDF in a crowded area, and obviously the IDF isn’t going to worry about collateral when the lives of their soldiers and Israeli citizens are in serious danger.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8096 on: June 10, 2024, 06:09:09 PM »

What's your point?

…The point is that these civilians deaths are all on Hamas because they started a firefight with the IDF in a crowded area, and obviously the IDF isn’t going to worry about collateral when the lives of their soldiers and Israeli citizens are in serious danger.

This is just semantics nonsense that you are using to defend axiomsofdominion calling other users "terrorists".
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #8097 on: June 10, 2024, 06:16:12 PM »

What's your point?

This is just semantics nonsense that you are using to defend axiomsofdominion calling other users "terrorists".
Do you think that the IDF should have just let their soldiers get killed in this operation?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8098 on: June 10, 2024, 06:16:51 PM »

Some of the posts were deleted and I assume sanctioned but yeah, a certain new user clearly isn't getting the message.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8099 on: June 10, 2024, 06:23:45 PM »

UN Security Council approves US proposal for permanent ceasefire in Gaza

This is the US proposal that largely matches what Israel has offered, so I'm not expecting any blowback from Israel over this. But there are a few key points that Israel and Hamas can't meet on yet, so it's far from a silver bullet.
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 321 322 323 [324] 325 326 327 328 329 ... 333  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies