Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 01:01:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 301
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 211356 times)
Isaak
Rookie
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1400 on: October 09, 2023, 06:53:06 PM »

I'll join the fun.

I like Netanyahu/Israel and Biden's response so far. A few more days of continuous bombing in Gaza and targeted killings of Hamas fighters should lead to an end of the conflict within the next few weeks; but part of me does have a feeling that some other Islamic country will try to involve themselves deeper in this - leading to worsened escalation. Let's hope not, but we'll see.
“Islamic Country”?
The only countries which have even a remote possibility of getting involved on behalf of Hamas are Iran and Syria, and neither of those are likely. Unless you think Bosnia and Bangladesh are gonna start funneling money to bus bombs just because they read the same book…

Nobody else in the Arab World wants to touch this lmao. Palestine is probably screwed long term.

Well, there are already rumors Iran orchestrated planning of it. Zelenskyy seems to be under the impression that Ukraine has evidence of Russian participation as well. There's also Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, and Turkey nearby; all with differing relations to the U.S. and long-term goals. I wouldn't disqualify the possibility that things become much worse internationally.

Why would Iraq, Lebanon or Turkey (a NATO member state?!) get involved in any way? The first two are the epitome of regime dysfunctionality, and the latter has nothing to gain and an incredible amount to lose.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1401 on: October 09, 2023, 06:56:15 PM »

In Israel there is talk about RZ and Otzma having to leave the government for the sake of national unity, but I would actually argue it's the Haredim who need to go now. You don't deserve to decide on the (way of) deployment of the army if you fight vehemently to have everyone in the country serve in it except for your own community.
Yeah, I've been wondering if this will be the moment that would finally force the Haredim to do their fair share to defend and support the country that protects their way of life. I agree with them that Torah study should be part of the fabric of a Jewish state, but certainly not at the expense of literally everything else. Their kollelim don't defend themselves.

Military needs are much higher than they were 3 days ago, and Israel can't afford to have 20% of its Jewish population not contributing.

So you want Israel to be even more of a theocracy than it already is.

Do you know what the term "theocracy" means? Because Israel is currently light years away from being one.

But, well, this is a board where everything is also a "genocide" or "ethnic cleansing" these days...

Yes.

The traditional definition is a state ruled by priests in the name of god.

The modern definition is a state ruled by a religious group.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1402 on: October 09, 2023, 07:03:54 PM »

I'm skeptical of the claim that Netanyahu had previous knowledge. It seems reminiscent of the conspiracy that FDR had prior knowledge of Japan invading Pearl Harbor.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #1403 on: October 09, 2023, 07:03:59 PM »

In Israel there is talk about RZ and Otzma having to leave the government for the sake of national unity, but I would actually argue it's the Haredim who need to go now. You don't deserve to decide on the (way of) deployment of the army if you fight vehemently to have everyone in the country serve in it except for your own community.
Yeah, I've been wondering if this will be the moment that would finally force the Haredim to do their fair share to defend and support the country that protects their way of life. I agree with them that Torah study should be part of the fabric of a Jewish state, but certainly not at the expense of literally everything else. Their kollelim don't defend themselves.

Military needs are much higher than they were 3 days ago, and Israel can't afford to have 20% of its Jewish population not contributing.

Do you know what the term "theocracy" means? Because Israel is currently light years away from being one.

But, well, this is a board where everything is also a "genocide" or "ethnic cleansing" these days...

Yes.

Is Brooklyn a theocracy because there are a large number of Orthodox Jews who study Torah in kollel there?
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1404 on: October 09, 2023, 07:07:24 PM »

Yes.

Is Brooklyn a theocracy because there are a large number of Orthodox Jews who study Torah in kollel there?

No, because the people in the government aren't trying to force their religious beliefs on everyone.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #1405 on: October 09, 2023, 07:09:12 PM »

Yes.

No, because the people in the government aren't trying to force their religious beliefs on everyone.
And Torah study being a part of the fabric of life in Israel, which it very is and would remain so even if all state funding and support for it disappeared tomorrow, is the government trying to force its religious beliefs on people how exactly?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1406 on: October 09, 2023, 07:09:58 PM »

Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #1407 on: October 09, 2023, 07:10:58 PM »

Yes.

What are you talking about
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1408 on: October 09, 2023, 07:14:17 PM »

I am glad they at least acknowledged that the Palestinian movement as a whole (not Hamas obviously) is legitimate. A Republican president never would've signed onto that.

I am still very worried about the West deprioritizing Ukraine for this.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1409 on: October 09, 2023, 07:18:12 PM »

Yes.

And Torah study being a part of the fabric of life in Israel, which it very is and would remain so even if all state funding and support for it disappeared tomorrow, is the government trying to force its religious beliefs on people how exactly?

Who do you think controls the levers and keep Netanyahu in office?

--> the ultra-Orthodox parties
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #1410 on: October 09, 2023, 07:24:00 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2023, 07:29:10 PM by Aurelius2 »

Yes.

Did you even read my initial post? I'll requote it for your benefit:

Where did I say a word in there about any desire to prop up Netanyahu or Shas or UTJ?

----

Please stop clogging the thread with one-line non sequiturs. I'm not going to pretend I've been some objective, rational observer of this conflict, and I've had my moments in this thread where I've inadvisedly let my emotions get ahold of me, but some of us are actually trying to discuss the situation and learn from it and you just keep spouting platitudes into the wind with seemingly no engagement with what people are actually saying. At the very least please stop cheering on a hypothetical war between Israel and Iran that no thinking person should hope for.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1411 on: October 09, 2023, 07:27:43 PM »

Aurelius: Wants to remove exemption based on religion that Haredim get to not be part of the IDF.
PPPolitics: Why do you want Israel to be a theocracy?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1412 on: October 09, 2023, 07:29:53 PM »

Fortunately, our State Department is well-equipped to focus on more than one thing at once.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1413 on: October 09, 2023, 07:33:07 PM »

Fortunately, our State Department is well-equipped to focus on more than one thing at once.

Supposedly there are ammo shortages. I don't want any bullets wasted on a conflict where both sides are terrible.

All of it should go to Ukraine.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1414 on: October 09, 2023, 07:35:02 PM »

Yes.

Did you even read my initial post? I'll requote it for your benefit:

Where did I say a word in there about any desire to prop up Netanyahu or Shas or UTJ?

I don't even have a clue anymore about whatever you are trying to say.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #1415 on: October 09, 2023, 08:18:41 PM »

Either this guy knows something and there's going to be a major Hezbollah/PIJ assault tomorrow, or he's stirring shlt for attention.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1416 on: October 09, 2023, 08:22:13 PM »

Either this guy knows something and there's going to be a major Hezbollah/PIJ assault tomorrow, or he's stirring shlt for attention.

What was this? It's deleted.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #1417 on: October 09, 2023, 08:24:26 PM »

It was something along the lines of "my fellow Lebanese, don't upload and share the video of a rocket launch you're going to record tomorrow. It's best for you and for all of us if it stays in your phone gallery."
Birdish
Bartlet2002
United States

« Reply #1418 on: October 09, 2023, 08:48:11 PM »

It was something along the lines of "my fellow Lebanese, don't upload and share the video of a rocket launch you're going to record tomorrow. It's best for you and for all of us if it stays in your phone gallery."

Probably just a reference to Israel getting hit by missles from southern Lebanon the last two days and Israel retaliating. "If your going to do something, don't post it on social media because Israeli intelligence will certainly see it". Atleast that was my interpretation.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1419 on: October 09, 2023, 08:54:34 PM »

Probably just a reference to Israel getting hit by missles from southern Lebanon the last two days and Israel retaliating. "If your going to do something, don't post it on social media because Israeli intelligence will certainly see it". Atleast that was my interpretation.

If you watched the rocket attacks out of Gaza yesterday, these were hit by Israeli missiles within 20-30 minutes.

You can see the Hamas munitions exploding as they are hit, so Israel are clearly hitting active rocket sites.

US and Israeli technology overhead (UAV's) would quickly isolate the rocket launch locations as opposed to social media posts.
Birdish
Bartlet2002
United States

« Reply #1420 on: October 09, 2023, 08:56:35 PM »

If you watched the rocket attacks out of Gaza yesterday, these were hit by Israeli missiles within 20-30 minutes.

You can see the Hamas munitions exploding as they are hit, so Israel are clearly hitting active rocket sites.

US and Israeli technology overhead (UAV's) would quickly isolate the rocket launch locations as opposed to social media posts.

Sure, but does War Monitor on Twitter know that? Seeing some of their previous posts, I'm not so sure.

Edit: Also, there's the pre emptive Israeli strike angle.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1421 on: October 09, 2023, 08:57:41 PM »

Our State Department will be able to follow the events. Its ability to respond to them is the part that, if one does have concern, they ought to be concerned about.
Too early to fret, though.
Hollywood
« Reply #1422 on: October 09, 2023, 09:09:31 PM »

IDF has now taken full control of the Southern Border after eliminating all positions taken by Hamas soldiers.  They are still looking for terrorists that may be hiding around the community.  Residents have been given the 'green light' to leave their bomb shelters.  

Significant build-up of IDF soldiers on Lebanese Border.  All signs point to a significant attack by Hezbollah, but experts aren't sure whether this will come to fruition.  Large movement of Lebanese Civilians towards Beirut from Southern Lebanon.  

Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #1423 on: October 09, 2023, 09:10:49 PM »

IDF has now taken full control of the Southern Border after eliminating all positions taken by Hamas soldiers.  They are still looking for terrorists that may be hiding around the community.  Residents have been given the 'green light' to leave their bomb shelters.  

Significant build-up of IDF soldiers on Lebanese Border.  All signs point to a significant attack by Hezbollah, but experts aren't sure whether this will come to fruition.  Large movement of Lebanese Civilians towards Beirut from Southern Lebanon.  

Source on the second paragraph? Very concerning if true.
kwabbit

« Reply #1424 on: October 09, 2023, 09:21:06 PM »

Source on the second paragraph? Very concerning if true.

I'd take it with a grain of salt, given that Hollywood also casually pinned the initial invasion on Egypt earlier in the thread.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 301  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies