Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:31:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 313
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 222520 times)
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1300 on: October 09, 2023, 01:30:50 PM »

So Hamas doesn’t just want all Jews to die, but all Palestinians as well, at least in Gaza.

muh anti-colonial resistance

If this wasn't the case, they wouldn't have carried out the attack in the first place. They know it was suicidal and seemingly don't care that all of Hamas and thousands of Palestinian civilians will die because of it. As soon as someone gave that order, it was over for them.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #1301 on: October 09, 2023, 01:31:24 PM »

What are the odds that with the air strikes Israël is going to accidentally kill the hostages theirselves?
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1302 on: October 09, 2023, 01:32:36 PM »

Israel threatens to destroy Damascus and remove Assad if Hezbollah joins the war.

Laki I don't think you should be banned but posting partisangirl in here really is not helping your case at all

I saw it on a Belgian internet forum.

Is there a source other than her for it? She doesn't exactly have the best record of credibility, and doesn't actually include any attribution for the quoted statement.

Well i have no idea, perhaps you're right that it is a fake account. But i'm wondering why it was posted on that Belgian internet forum in that case (which is also moderated to remove fake news etc.)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1303 on: October 09, 2023, 01:34:59 PM »

No way Israel wants to deal with Hezbollah and Syria at the same time of them dealing with Gaza. This takes the toll of 1973 all over again.

We’ll see who blinks.
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #1304 on: October 09, 2023, 01:35:33 PM »

Israel threatens to destroy Damascus and remove Assad if Hezbollah joins the war.

Laki I don't think you should be banned but posting partisangirl in here really is not helping your case at all

Is there a source other than her for it? She doesn't exactly have the best record of credibility, and doesn't actually include any attribution for the quoted statement.

Well i have no idea, perhaps you're right that it is a fake account. But i'm wondering why it was posted on that Belgian internet forum in that case (which is also moderated to remove fake news etc.)

It's not so much that it's an outright fake account, but it is a very biased account which I wouldn't trust without some other confirmation.

I just find it hard to believe that with a war against Hamas in Gaza and a potential war against Hezbollah in Lebanon Israel would willingly open war on another front. 10+ years of civil war have made Syria weak, but it's not like the IDF is just going to march into Damascus unopposed.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1305 on: October 09, 2023, 01:37:21 PM »

It's not so much that it's an outright fake account, but it is a very biased account which I wouldn't trust without some other confirmation.

I just find it hard to believe that with a war against Hamas in Gaza and a potential war against Hezbollah in Lebanon Israel would willingly open war on another front.

Isn't it a threat to keep Hezbollah out of a full-blown conflict with them (because Syria wouldn't want war with Israel, so they negotiate with Hezbollah, which would make sense given Hezbollah and Lebanese politics are Syria-aligned).
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1306 on: October 09, 2023, 01:37:37 PM »

Once Hamas starts killing hostages en masse, there is nothing that will be able to save them and most likely nothing that will be able to save Gaza. Israel's rage will be such that it could very well spin out into a full regional war with Israel going full Allied bombing raids on the terrorists and their sponsors. So if possible, a joint US/Egypt invasion raid might just be the best option right now.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1307 on: October 09, 2023, 01:38:27 PM »

Please try to think critically about the sources of information you consume and choose to share as truth rather than outsourcing your thinking to the moderators of a Belgian internet forum.

Everyone posts tweets of random people, who is that Walter Bloomberg guy for instance?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1308 on: October 09, 2023, 01:38:57 PM »

What are the odds that with the air strikes Israël is going to accidentally kill the hostages theirselves?

You know, there's been a lot of continuing criticism of the Beslan response, but there has not actually ever been another attack like Beslan. Israel should try not to aim for the hostages, and it should try not to aim for Gazan civilians, but it should definitely open fire; it is a tragic characteristic of war that some people are in the wrong place at the wrong time.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1309 on: October 09, 2023, 01:41:29 PM »

Once Hamas starts killing hostages en masse, there is nothing that will be able to save them and most likely nothing that will be able to save Gaza. Israel's rage will be such that it could very well spin out into a full regional war with Israel going full Allied bombing raids on the terrorists and their sponsors. So if possible, a joint US/Egypt invasion raid might just be the best option right now.

At most I can see us providing air support. I highly doubt we send ground troops
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1310 on: October 09, 2023, 01:43:09 PM »

At most I can see us providing air support. I highly doubt we send ground troops

If we do Biden has lost my vote and likely the election. Not a single American soldier should be sent into this mess.
Hollywood
« Reply #1311 on: October 09, 2023, 01:43:55 PM »

About 5 hours ago, I told my co-worker that Egypt was involved.  There simply wasn't a way for the Gazans to pull-off this attack without help along the Egyptian border, and I wouldn't be surprised if soldiers from other countries were sent along with the weapons.  My co-worker thought I was crazy when I suggested it, and then he thought I'd lost my mind when I said Israel needed to push into the Sinai Peninsula.  Now he's onboard with an invasion of Egypt, even though I'm not really sure of it myself.  LOL.  

Egypt has no interest in helping Gaza in an attack of this kind. Of all Israel's Arab Muslim neighbors, they have the best relations with Egypt. It's a low bar, but still. In addition, Egypt has spent most of the past few decades under a mostly secular military dictatorship, repressing both the political Islamists and Palestinian militant groups. It is not in the Egyptian government's self-interest to support Hamas, even if regional sentiment and diplomacy mean that they have to make pro-Palestinian statements.

Hell, there's even credible (if-unconfirmed) reports that Egypt tried to tip Israel off to the attack and were ignored. I find it hard to believe they had any part in this.

It was just a theory I threw out to my co-worker earlier today.  I wasn't sure I believed it when I said it.  I just thought it was very unlikely that Egypt was without knowledge of the situation, and I can't imagine these weapons and soldiers sneaking into Gaza without some assistance from some faction in Egypt.  

Furthermore, I'm extremely suspicious of all the unconfirmed stories that seem designed to portray the attack as an Intelligence failure.  
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1312 on: October 09, 2023, 01:44:06 PM »

The Church of Saint Porphyrius, one of the oldest in the world, has been destroyed in an airstrike.

Haven't been able to verify this — have only seen posts from Jackson Hinkle and "Christian Mario." At least one source on the ground says it's not true:

Thankfully the church has confirmed this news is false (see their latest post). If Jackson Hinkle posts something you can always assume the opposite is true anyway.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1313 on: October 09, 2023, 01:44:13 PM »

Please try to think critically about the sources of information you consume and choose to share as truth rather than outsourcing your thinking to the moderators of a Belgian internet forum.

Everyone posts tweets of random people, who is that Walter Bloomberg guy for instance?

He's not really "a guy", the account is just an RSS feed for a Bloomberg terminal.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1314 on: October 09, 2023, 01:44:58 PM »

Yeah, ground troops should be avoided. But I'd be fine with the US Air Force carrying out massive air strikes against military targets if necessary. The Hamas needs to be destroyed.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1315 on: October 09, 2023, 01:45:51 PM »

Not to mention it is unnecessary.  Israel is more than capable (and motivated) of executing a ground invasion on their own. And they are probably accustomed to guerrilla warfare by this point. 
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1316 on: October 09, 2023, 01:49:30 PM »

Both Intifadas were explicitly declared by the Palestinians. You can consider them justified attacks -- I think this is totally ridiculous and that even stuff like WW2 had more shades of grey, but whatever -- but it certainly wasn't Israel who launched them.

Genuinely lol'd at this

Yeah, there's no Finland on the bad side and no USSR on the good side. This conflict is incredibly morally simple; the correct choice is very clear and making that choice has never caused less collateral damage.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1317 on: October 09, 2023, 01:52:07 PM »

The Church of Saint Porphyrius, one of the oldest in the world, has been destroyed in an airstrike.

Haven't been able to verify this — have only seen posts from Jackson Hinkle and "Christian Mario." At least one source on the ground says it's not true:

Thankfully the church has confirmed this news is false (see their latest post). If Jackson Hinkle posts something you can always assume the opposite is true anyway.

Thanks for the correction, sorry for the fake news guys.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1318 on: October 09, 2023, 01:52:57 PM »

Was Jackson Hinkle actually your source?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1319 on: October 09, 2023, 01:56:36 PM »

A full siege of Gaza is unacceptable. We are in the fog of war, but the response needs to both consider civilian lives and be proportionate to any military objective. Even in these conditions, civilians should get humanitarian aid. Fighting against 'human animals' (inappropriate language imo) does not mean all morality and restraint goes out the window.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #1320 on: October 09, 2023, 02:03:55 PM »

You're posting known sh**tposters
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1321 on: October 09, 2023, 02:04:33 PM »

Was Jackson Hinkle actually your source?

No: I just saw a bunch of blue checks share it and forgot that Twitter has been Elonified.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #1322 on: October 09, 2023, 02:04:52 PM »

A full siege of Gaza is unacceptable. We are in the fog of war, but the response needs to both consider civilian lives and be proportionate to any military objective. Even in these conditions, civilians should get humanitarian aid. Fighting against 'human animals' (inappropriate language imo) does not mean all morality and restraint goes out the window.
Then how do you propose Israel respond, exactly? Hamas needs to be removed from power one way or another.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1323 on: October 09, 2023, 02:08:10 PM »

Is this some sort of elaborate suicide by cop?
Russia attacking Hamas would be great!

Whoever loses, we (and Ukraine) win!
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1324 on: October 09, 2023, 02:09:14 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2023, 02:13:31 PM by Frodo »

Then how do you propose Israel respond, exactly? Hamas needs to be removed from power one way or another.

Actually he is making a good point in this sense -Hamas will likely go underground upon any invasion, so Israel will need to go on a 'hearts and minds' campaign to root them out.  So being cognizant of the welfare of Gazan civilians is in Israel's immediate interests, and will help them militarily.  Also, it will put to the test the claim made by some here that they are themselves hostages of Hamas (and other terrorist groups). 
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 313  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies