Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 11:11:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 312
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 221133 times)
Birdish
Bartlet2002
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: October 08, 2023, 11:08:15 AM »

The areas in question that were attacked were most definitely not war zones. If anything, they resemble small cities and suburbs.

Its like when people think of Israeli settlements, they think of orthodox Jews living in the middle of the desert who farm and have 20 children. When in reality, it's a bunch of town houses, schools and grocery stores that people move to because its more affordable.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #876 on: October 08, 2023, 11:09:32 AM »

Who in their right mind would vacation in a warzone?
It was not a warzone two days ago you sick ghoul. I suppose some of them were wearing revealing skirts too.

It's to the border of the world's largest open air prison. A bit distasteful to party there if you ask me.

Doesn't mean they should be kidnapped/etc or so too ofc.

And it's more the organisation of the music festival that has to be criticized, not the people that attended it.
Angel of Death
« Reply #877 on: October 08, 2023, 11:15:30 AM »

I see a fair degree of the posters here are absolute morons who fail to understand context. I said I hope the civilian population with move to Sinai as I hoped we would topple Hamas and I don't want them in the crossfire. Not that I want them permanently banished.

Yes, because Palestinians were totally allowed to return to their own homes after the 1948 war. Now who's failing to understand context here?
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #878 on: October 08, 2023, 11:15:52 AM »

The areas in question that were attacked were most definitely not war zones. If anything, they resemble small cities and suburbs.

Its like when people think of Israeli settlements, they think of orthodox Jews living in the middle of the desert who farm and have 20 children. When in reality, it's a bunch of town houses, schools and grocery stores that people move to because its more affordable.

I wouldn't be able to party next to such a barrier. That's all I know. (especially as a foreign tourist)
Nobody gives a flying f**k, stop whatabouting the kidnap, rape, brutal torture, and murder of hundreds of innocents.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #879 on: October 08, 2023, 11:17:13 AM »

I should specify that I had a chance to visit the Balkans with family there, but in no way am I going to be uncomfortable with Islamist trump supporters tell me of the glory of the Rajavis. They are creepy and might kidnap me and my family.

I hear Sulaymaniyah is a nice town and the people there are avid history fans, but the risk of a missile strike or being arrested by Iraqi authorities doesn’t sound ideal.

It was not a warzone two days ago you sick ghoul. I suppose some of them were wearing revealing skirts too.

It's to the border of the world's largest open air prison. A bit distasteful to party there if you ask me.

And it's more the organisation of the music festival that has to be criticized, not the people that attended it.
Ironically, this event was by a peace organization advocating for Palestinians. My loved ones are potentially in danger and I have no time or patience for your Judenhass right now. Kindly f**k off.
Taking drugs during Woodstock was counterproductive in ending Vietnam, and certainly endangering yourself near an active warzone is too.

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #880 on: October 08, 2023, 11:25:06 AM »

MSNBC reporting that US Senator Cory Booker was in Israel at the time of the attacks. He and his staff are safe and have left the country.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #881 on: October 08, 2023, 11:25:40 AM »

Ironically, this event was by a peace organization advocating for Palestinians. My loved ones are potentially in danger and I have no time or patience for your Judenhass right now. Kindly f**k off.

I've done my research.

That's not true

The outdoor Nova Festival event in a rural farmland area near the Gaza-Israel border was supposed to be an all-night dance party, celebrating the Jewish holiday of Sukkot.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/2023-10-07/ty-article/.premium/survivors-of-massacre-at-israeli-outdoor-rave-describe-battlefield/0000018b-0a85-dae9-adcb-abbfa4990000

It was a psytrance rave music festival that coincided with the Jewish holiday of Sukkot.

How is that a "peace organization advocating for peace with Palestinians".

Next time, tell the truth, thank you.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #882 on: October 08, 2023, 11:32:13 AM »

Israel is starting to really hammer Gaza
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #883 on: October 08, 2023, 11:38:38 AM »

They’ve been pounding them since the beginning, Gazans has gotten used to it. Humans are very versatile creatures y’know
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #884 on: October 08, 2023, 11:42:54 AM »

Look.

I hope your loved ones are safe (and this applies to any user in the thread/forum with potential loved ones in danger). And so do I hope that our users in Israël despite them hating me are also safe.

But I cannot know that you potentially have loved ones in danger. You have a R-VA avatar, i can't "know" that based on that.

So, while yes, i want to be more understanding to people closer to the conflict, we must also not forget that a lot of lives are in danger on the Palestinian side, but no-one of the forum seems to know anyone that lives in the Gaza strip or West Bank. But there are still a lot of humans there as well that might be targetted by air strikes now or a ground invasion (?) soon.

I feel sorry about the people who attended the music festival (regardless of the type of festival or the kind of music that was played or where it was held). Killing those people is obviously wrong. I don't think it was a deliberate attack in the sense that it was planned to target this festival specifically, because it was really close to the Gaza border and happened to happen in the wrong place in the wrong time, but I agree that Hamas fighters/soldiers should have not targetted the place and go on a murderous campaign here, and instead focus on soldiers if they wanted an invasion from a military strategic point of view (though it likely was used for taking hostages and potential negotiations for exchanging/releasing Palestinian soldiers in exchange for their release). And Israël has unlawfully taken Palestinians as prisoners as well, for instance here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahed_Tamimi (who was a minor at the time).

WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
« Reply #885 on: October 08, 2023, 11:46:21 AM »

Well...goodbye, Hamas! You will not be missed, neither by supporters or critics of the Israeli government!
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #886 on: October 08, 2023, 11:53:07 AM »

Well...goodbye, Hamas! You will not be missed, neither by supporters or critics of the Israeli government!
You have to make alliances as purity politics isn’t how you enact change, and then you can deal with problematic people, but I fail to see the relevance here given Hamas is having a field day.

The Palestinians have been driven here and there yet have kept the rebellion going since the end of the Ottomans. It’s been over a hundred years at this point. The Circassians and wider caucuses have gone for centuries against Russia. People’s War is a long standing thing.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #887 on: October 08, 2023, 11:54:10 AM »

great news, hopefully it continues for a good long while until the terrorists who committed these attacks and those who harbor them have been completely destroyed.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #888 on: October 08, 2023, 12:00:55 PM »

Looks like the cleaning up has finally started properly. For the sake of everyone's safety in the region this is very much needed. Hamas needs to go.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #889 on: October 08, 2023, 12:01:32 PM »

Death toll in Israel passed 700. For context, during the second intifada of 2000-2004, 1057 Israelis died (70% of them civilians). During the Yom Kippur war, 2689 Israelis died, presumably mostly military.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #890 on: October 08, 2023, 12:03:16 PM »

The best thing Palestine could do would be to fully divorce the Gaza Strip and the West Bank.

They haven't shared political leadership in nearly two decades.
Their standards of living and needs are completely different.
The problems they face are completely different.
Their end goals are completely different.
The way they're treated by Israel is completely different.
The way they're treated by their neighbors is completely different.

West Bank is run by Fatah which is relatively reasonable, has not made much effort to attack Israel over the last couple decades, and has shown a willingness to work with Israel towards a two-state solution and to maintain peace.  They've also demonstrated a basic level of competence in building and maintaining infrastructure, agriculture, and a civil society.

Gaza is run by Hamas, a terrorist organization whose sole occupation is maximizing the number of Jews it kills (or Jewish women it kidnaps for gang rape).  It has zero interest in building any sort of infrastructure or agriculture.  It actively works against any sort of civil society.  Gaza is entirely dependent on aid from Israel to survive, even as it openly advocates for genocide against Israel on a daily basis.  Egypt hates Gaza and has it walled in like a rat trap.  Gaza hasn't shown any willingness to change its ways and seems destined to continue being an impoverished, starving, failed state that only exists to continue attacking its Israeli host.

So why continue the farce of treating these two completely distinct states like they're the same thing?  They're not even the same people.  The West Bank is full of Jordanians.  It was annexed by Jordan in 1950 and held until the Six Days War.  Jordan continued to claim the West Bank as part of its territory until 1988.  Only after that did it become the "Palestinian state" combined with Gaza.  This entire time, Arabs from the east side of the Jordan river (Jordanians) and Arabs from the west side of the Jordan river (Palestinians) were freely intermixing and moving between the two areas.  Which makes sense because they're the same people and have family on both sides of the river.  If the West Bank wants to be an independent state called Palestine, fine.  But it's just Jordan.

Gaza?  Has little to nothing to do with Jordan.  It's Egypt.  It was part of Egypt for many, many periods of time over the last few centuries -- they regularly battled the Ottomans for control of it.  The result of the 1948 Arab-Israeli war was that Egypt controlled Gaza.  Since 1967 it's been controlled by Israel but Egypt has also had a big hand in how Gaza is run and what life there looks like.

The West Bank should separate off and make a separate deal with Israel to have a two-state solution.  Then either become independent Palestine, or join with Jordan.

Gaza should be UN-administered with input from Egypt, Israel and whatever becomes of the West Bank.  Just like other failed states.  It should be rebuilt into a functioning state while also militarily occupied by an international coalition to suppress Hamas and other terrorist organizations.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #891 on: October 08, 2023, 12:03:41 PM »

Death toll in Israel passed 700. For context, during the second intifada of 2000-2004, 1057 Israelis died (70% of them civilians). During the Yom Kippur war, 2689 Israelis died, presumably mostly military.
Prof. Kontorovich is probably already correct when he claims this is the biggest slaughter of Jewish civilians since the Holocaust. This is really the magnitude we're speaking about. Those who always claimed they would self-evidently stand on the correct side back then now have the opportunity to truly prove what their character is like.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #892 on: October 08, 2023, 12:08:26 PM »

If Fatah loses Gaza, then that’s one more area lost. There’s already so few spoils after UNRWA that may lead them kaput. There’s also the problem that a lot of people apart of the civil service and government in the West Bank are, yknow, fighting Israel currently and would be furious if a split occurred.

Hey, dealing with the devils close to you has some serious benefits. I’m starting to get revisionists now.

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #893 on: October 08, 2023, 12:08:35 PM »

great news, hopefully it continues for a good long while until the terrorists who committed these attacks and those who harbor them have been completely destroyed.

You are greatly mistaken if you think the oppressed can be bombed into oblivion.

There will always be a resistance.

The only lasting solution is to give them a place of their own to live.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #894 on: October 08, 2023, 12:10:56 PM »

Prof. Kontorovich is probably already correct when he claims this is the biggest slaughter of Jewish civilians since the Holocaust. This is really the magnitude we're speaking about. Those who always claimed they would self-evidently stand on the correct side back then now have the opportunity to truly prove what their character is like.

Yes, I think one can even have a fairly maximalist antizionist position and still condemn the Palestinian liberation/conquest/reconquest/whatever being effectuated via an antisemitic cult filming old ladies' deaths with their own cell phones, taking hostages and then raping them, dragging mutilated corpses of civilians through the streets, etc. etc. etc.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #895 on: October 08, 2023, 12:13:32 PM »

You are greatly mistaken if you think the oppressed can be bombed into oblivion.

— Zionists circa 1948
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
« Reply #896 on: October 08, 2023, 12:13:54 PM »

Yes, I think one can even have a fairly maximalist antizionist position and still condemn the Palestinian liberation/conquest/reconquest/whatever being effectuated via an antisemitic cult filming old ladies' deaths with their own cell phones, taking hostages and then raping them, dragging mutilated corpses of civilians through the streets, etc. etc. etc.

Most people condemn the actions of Hamas.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #897 on: October 08, 2023, 12:15:31 PM »

Most people condemn the actions of Hamas.

Yes, thankfully. People who aren't doing so, or who are equivocating about doing so, are a very loud minority.
Logical

« Reply #898 on: October 08, 2023, 12:16:15 PM »

The areas attacked yesterday were well within the 1947 lines. It wasn't and it shouldn't have been a war zone. Holding a "peace" festival next to the largest open air prison in the world is kinda ghoulish I believe, but that does not justify their mass murder, kidnapping and rape.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #899 on: October 08, 2023, 12:16:36 PM »

— Zionists circa 1948

How ironic that, since then, the oppressed had become the oppressor.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 312  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies