Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:22:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 313
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 222102 times)
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1525 on: October 10, 2023, 10:45:48 AM »
« edited: October 10, 2023, 11:24:37 AM by Zinneke »

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/15/world/middleeast/israelis-watch-bombs-drop-on-gaza-from-front-row-seats.html

Looks like the NYT managed to find Hnv1

The holy land everybody. Baby killers and champagne corks popping off when bombs are dropped.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1526 on: October 10, 2023, 10:49:25 AM »

Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #1527 on: October 10, 2023, 10:58:39 AM »
« Edited: October 10, 2023, 11:10:02 AM by Hash »

Link

The holy land everybody. Baber killers and champagne corks popping off when bombs are dropped.
Do you know anything about Sderot? God forbid people celebrate when the terrorists who rain rockets down on them day after day get their facilities and munitions knocked out. Did you harshly judge Americans for cheering when Osama was killed (which was good, btw?) Keep your self-righteous moral grandstanding to yourself. It does not somehow become unacceptable to celebrate the defeat of terrorism just because the terrorists are right on your doorstep instead of the other side of the world.

Last we heard Hnv is volunteering, despite being past reserves age, to do anything they can find for him to help Israel in this moment of crisis. I would hope you would do the same should Belgium be attacked. Going after him in such a way in this moment says much more about you than it does about him. He is clearly an honorable man and this speaks volumes.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1528 on: October 10, 2023, 11:04:55 AM »

Why don't people ever fix those long stretching links when posting them especially since the ending parts aren't even necessary?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #1529 on: October 10, 2023, 11:14:36 AM »

Link

The holy land everybody. Baber killers and champagne corks popping off when bombs are dropped.
Do you know anything about Sderot? God forbid people celebrate when the terrorists who rain rockets down on them day after day get their facilities and munitions knocked out. Did you harshly judge Americans for cheering when Osama was killed (which was good, btw?) Keep your self-righteous moral grandstanding to yourself. It does not somehow become unacceptable to celebrate the defeat of terrorism just because the terrorists are right on your doorstep instead of the other side of the world.

Last we heard Hnv is volunteering, despite being past reserves age, to do anything they can find for him to help Israel in this moment of crisis. I would hope you would do the same should Belgium be attacked. Going after him in such a way in this moment says much more about you than it does about him. He is clearly an honorable man and this speaks volumes.

I don’t have any issue with people like Hnv presenting themselves for duty after such an attack. I do have issue with people popping champagne corks and singing jingles while civilians and especially children are slaughtered. It shows how decrepit and morally vacuous the Holy Land and the Middle East in general is, a place so hardened by hatred its propaganda videos and media treatment of such an operation is almost indistinguishable from Fauda (which I enjoy watching on Netflix)

Incidentally this why I find also the blubbery eyed reaction from anyone who has.never been there completely inappropriate. There are posters here who think of Israelis and Palestinians the same way some people thought of the Irish during the Troubles i.e quasi-mythical beings to be elevated because they are somehow in a Kibbutzim the same way people think they identify with Japanese because of Manga or worse some weird religious reason. In the end there are arseholes who believe in massacring “the other side” and then there are the rest and for me there is not much distinguishing between the two regardless of which side they are on. Hnv for me has the same rhetoric as the Hamas terrorist. He has had enough time for the rage to subside. Calling for an entire bantustan-city to be extinguished would be genocide in any other context.

patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #1530 on: October 10, 2023, 11:17:46 AM »

They should really bring about a national unity government under Bennett. Would be far more competent than Netanyahu as leader

Unfortunately I don't know if it's constitutionally possible to have someone who's not an MK as PM
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1531 on: October 10, 2023, 11:31:40 AM »

Gantz definitely runs as a Labor nostalgia candidate of sorts but I think the agenda of his present National Unity vehicle is definitely right of center.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1532 on: October 10, 2023, 11:49:18 AM »

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1533 on: October 10, 2023, 11:56:29 AM »

If Israel had known about the attack, their only option would have been to strike first and who would have believed them?

Golda Meir concluded in 1973 that a second pre-emptive strike wasn't the best option.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1534 on: October 10, 2023, 12:08:32 PM »

If Israel had known about the attack, their only option would have been to strike first and who would have believed them?

Golda Meir concluded in 1973 that a second pre-emptive strike wasn't the best option.

In Israel the 1973 decision that it wasn't considered the best option is widely considered disastrous. Had Netanyahu known about the attack (or considered it credible, or whatever), there would likely have been a preemptive strike; in 2018, Israel actually conducted such strikes against groups trying to infiltrate. I don't think this was really that controversial among anyone who matters, but certainly you're right that Wikipedia editors were skeptical and the "Reactions" section details reactions from the usual groups and governments. In Israel it seems, based on the article, like the public relations effort associated with it was considered a failure (though I would be unsure of this, people who do public relations management for the Israeli government are very neurotic), but nobody really disputed that the intervention was correct and necessary.

(Also, the article is very much written in 2018: it uses the phrase 'overwhelmingly peaceful' in what seems like a sincere way. After 2020 I think that expression is forever tainted/interpreted as a dark meme.)
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #1535 on: October 10, 2023, 12:10:54 PM »

Here's an excellent opinion piece in the Guardian from Orly Noy, an editor of a Hebrew-language news site.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #1536 on: October 10, 2023, 12:11:24 PM »

A Palestinian man has been killed by a Hamas rocket from Gaza that landed in the West Bank village near Tulkarm where he lived. Aside from the tragedy and irony of it all, this goes to show just how primitive these Qassam rockets are. They aren't spin-stabilized, unlike most other rockets, so they can't be targeted with any degree of accuracy.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1537 on: October 10, 2023, 12:11:49 PM »

What's the deal with Netanyahu's tense relationship with the IDF? Do the rank and file hate him or the officer corp/senior leadership? Is it just because of the haredi issue?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1538 on: October 10, 2023, 12:15:12 PM »

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1539 on: October 10, 2023, 12:25:30 PM »

What's the deal with Netanyahu's tense relationship with the IDF? Do the rank and file hate him or the officer corp/senior leadership? Is it just because of the haredi issue?

There's been a large amount of radicalization between the "right" (Netanyahu-associated parties) and "left" (anti-Netanyahu parties, plus YB) since around 2019 and especially since the Supreme Court protests since 2022, and the officer corp/senior leadership are very much of the second group. This is much less the case among the rank-and-file -- Netanyahu-associated parties have a younger electorate even among non-Haredi Israelis -- but is still true to a substantial extent.

In the event of a constitutional crisis between Netanyahu and the Israeli Supreme Court (which came close to happening; had Netanyahu passed his first court reform, indications were that the court would simply declare it impermissible), it may well have come down to whose orders the military would've followed, and the answer was likely the court's. We can argue about the exact definition of 'coup', and it never came that close to happening, but it was clear that after a certain point Netanyahu became afraid of a military coup (with the support of the country's court system), and trying to maintain a deliberate state of unreadiness to make a coup less likely may have been the reason the military was so unprepared to respond this weekend.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1540 on: October 10, 2023, 12:27:59 PM »

There are really disturbing reports of more atrocities Hamas committed on hostages that might be going mainstream soon ☹️
And they have 😞
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1541 on: October 10, 2023, 12:33:50 PM »

What a f**king loser lmao.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1542 on: October 10, 2023, 12:35:58 PM »

Link

Yet when Palestinians cheer for the same reason, you say they want the death of all Jews on here. Do you see the problems in your reasoning? Hello?
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1543 on: October 10, 2023, 12:38:32 PM »

Certainly Netanyahu (and others before him) has accomplished the mission.The Palestinian state is thwarted. At what price, Bibi

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1544 on: October 10, 2023, 12:39:32 PM »

Apparently people in “mixed-cities” in Israel, not the settlements, will be armed in a widescale deputizing against Palestinians
Cashew
United States

« Reply #1545 on: October 10, 2023, 12:41:58 PM »

I don't see how Hamas thinks that they are helping Palestinians in what they have done.

The goal is to hurt Israel, not help Palestinians. If getting hundreds of thousands of Palestinians killed makes even a few Jewish mothers weep that is a sacrifice they are willing to make.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1546 on: October 10, 2023, 12:43:06 PM »

No, their best option would be to up security and deploy IDF near Gaza, as opposed to the almost no security that actually existed.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1547 on: October 10, 2023, 12:54:49 PM »

No, their best option would be to up security and deploy IDF near Gaza, as opposed to the almost no security that actually existed.

Perhaps this would have been easier absent the enormous security commitments that are the various illegal settlements in the West Bank, especially with Israel-PA relations being what they are right now. Food for thought
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #1548 on: October 10, 2023, 12:54:59 PM »

Link

Yet when Palestinians cheer for the same reason, you say they want the death of all Jews on here. Do you see the problems in your reasoning? Hello?
Okay, fine, I overgeneralized yesterday in a moment of stress and anger. Sorry. However I will not listen to anyone claim the rallies in places like NYC and Sydney where people have been chanting things like "gas the Jews" and displaying swastikas are out of anything other than pure, genocidal Judenhass. People like the NY DSA deflecting and making excuses for this are utterly shameful.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1549 on: October 10, 2023, 12:56:31 PM »

I don't see how Hamas thinks that they are helping Palestinians in what they have done.

The goal is to hurt Israel, not help Palestinians. If getting hundreds of thousands of Palestinians killed makes even a few Jewish mothers weep that is a sacrifice they are willing to make.

In that case, I hope that Palestinians learn to report plans, and build-up, of Hamas terrorists to Israeli intelligence forces, in their communities and streets (from here forward).
(But yet we see Palestinians partying in the streets, en masse, immediately after Hamas commits atrocious acts towards the Jewish people.)

I don't see how so many terrorists could organize and plan this, without the Palestinians (officials and citizens) not having a strong idea an attack was going to take place.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 313  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies