Let’s talk about Gavin Newsom 2024.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 11:04:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Let’s talk about Gavin Newsom 2024.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: Let’s talk about Gavin Newsom 2024.  (Read 5966 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 27, 2023, 05:04:53 PM »

Newsom may lose, but not because he’s an "electoral underperformer." Bill Clinton underperformed badly in 1980 and still won twelve and sixteen years later with two of the most brazenly slick, womanizing, shallow campaigns America has ever seen. Granted, it would have been closer if not for Perot (sorry, Alben/Frank), but still, this stuff doesn’t matter as much as some think it does. (And sometimes it helps because you learn from your past mistakes.)

It might be hard for the average Atlas poster to relate to this, but Newsom has a lot of the qualities that actually matter in presidential elections — he’s good-looking, fit, can project strength/leadership, would probably give off alpha vibes on a debate stage, triggers the other side, combative, good at shifting the focus away from his record, etc. DeSantis would have benefited from this as well if he didn’t allow Trump to emasculate him. Too bad..

I've opined before that Newsom's appeal has similarities to that of Andrew Cuomo, who had a large following nationwide even as he was consistently the least popular politician in America on this forum. It makes sense, then, that people here wouldn't see the appeal of Newsom, either.

I think that Newsom will make a serious effort to win the nomination in 2028 and I think he'll have a serious chance, but for a couple reasons I don't think he'll ever actually be nominated for president. The first is the obvious one, which is that it's almost always a good idea to bet on the field. The second is that Newsom's appeal is calibrated toward cable news. Cable news viewers are a shrinking demographic and increasingly it seems like people who don't watch it are actively hostile to that sort of appeal, viewing it as fake. Witness that last time the Democratic nomination was won by Joe Biden, who had very little of this sort of appeal. If Newsom had been running thirty years ago, I'd think a lot more highly of his chances.

The comparison with DeSantis is obvious and the obvious difference is that DeSantis is not a natural performer in the way that Newsom is. Even in 2018, you could tell that he seemed stilted, like he was putting on an act. Of course it didn't matter then and probably he couldn't have won the nomination this time no matter what, but it certainly hasn't helped.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #101 on: October 27, 2023, 08:38:34 PM »

Heatcharger, for real for a second, how do you see this working out? If Newsom wants to run in 2024 he has to launch, like, approximately "now." We have had two filing deadlines go by and there's three more (SC and AL on Nov 10th, AR on Nov 14th) within the next three weeks?

If you really think Newsom's going to announce at his Nov 30th debate with DeSantis (which LOL) he's going to really really struggle with the massive amount of filing deadlines in the first half of December, many of which require signatures.

If he were going to run, why isn't he...running? Dean Phillips the Gelato Man is.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2023, 01:44:24 PM »

I've opined before that Newsom's appeal has similarities to that of Andrew Cuomo, who had a large following nationwide even as he was consistently the least popular politician in America on this forum. It makes sense, then, that people here wouldn't see the appeal of Newsom, either.

I think that Newsom will make a serious effort to win the nomination in 2028 and I think he'll have a serious chance, but for a couple reasons I don't think he'll ever actually be nominated for president. The first is the obvious one, which is that it's almost always a good idea to bet on the field. The second is that Newsom's appeal is calibrated toward cable news. Cable news viewers are a shrinking demographic and increasingly it seems like people who don't watch it are actively hostile to that sort of appeal, viewing it as fake. Witness that last time the Democratic nomination was won by Joe Biden, who had very little of this sort of appeal. If Newsom had been running thirty years ago, I'd think a lot more highly of his chances.

I do also wonder to what extent the Guilfoyle connection might matter here, especially for the extremely online and journalists.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2023, 02:04:24 PM »

heatcharger
Atlas Icon
★★★★★

BREAKING: Biden announces he's dropping out, citing age and need to defeat Trump
« on: April 1, 2024 1:09:25 pm »

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/01/us/politics/biden-drops-out-2024.html

Congratulations to President Biden on leaving the arena. It looks like Gavin Newsom will announce his campaign shortly.

The Mikado
Moderators
★★★★★

BREAKING: Biden announces he's dropping out, citing age and need to defeat Trump

Um, guys, why is anyone still talking about Gavin Newsom as a potential candidate? How will he possibly get enough delegates to win the nomination?? This isn't 1968 anymore! This is now obviously a race between Dean Phillips and Marianne Williamson to face Donald Trump this November.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2023, 12:28:01 AM »

It was funny to see BRTD in the other thread seriously say Newsom’s infidelity would hurt him.
And you seriously think his Covid restrictions wouldn't hurt him? They went well beyond any other governor in the country and thus were evidentially completely unnecessary.

Honestly the irony of you telling me this is great.
I never supported Newsom's late 2021 Covid restrictions. I was always pretty consistent in saying they should be lifted once the vaccine was widely available.

Newsom sent his kids to school in person and had in person meetings with anti single payer lobbyists at restaurants when everything was shut down, so he never personally followed those restrictions.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2023, 08:07:50 AM »

heatcharger
Atlas Icon
★★★★★

Congratulations to President Biden on leaving the arena. It looks like Gavin Newsom will announce his campaign shortly.

The Mikado
Moderators
★★★★★

Um, guys, why is anyone still talking about Gavin Newsom as a potential candidate? How will he possibly get enough delegates to win the nomination?? This isn't 1968 anymore! This is now obviously a race between Dean Phillips and Marianne Williamson to face Donald Trump this November.

If Biden drops out on April 1st with the primaries being over, Biden's campaign will decide where his delegates go to, not primary voters.

And if Biden dropps out after the Convention, it goes to Harris automatically.

It would be a big "no one voted for X to be my nominee" situation.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2023, 10:54:42 AM »

heatcharger
Atlas Icon
★★★★★

The Mikado
Moderators
★★★★★

If Biden drops out on April 1st with the primaries being over, Biden's campaign will decide where his delegates go to, not primary voters.

And if Biden dropps out after the Convention, it goes to Harris automatically.

It would be a big "no one voted for X to be my nominee" situation.

Technically if Biden dropped out at that point his delegates become free agents...but the delegates of the Biden campaign will all be people handpicked by the Biden campaign so they'll tend to be people pretty compliant with Biden's instructions. A candidate who dropped out can say who he/she wants the delegates to go to but delegates don't HAVE to follow those instructions.

Anyway, my guess is the delegates hand-selected by the Biden/Harris campaign, deprived of Biden, would go for Harris.

FWIW I think if this happens it's only because Biden literally has a debilitating stroke or heart attack or something (something that's arguably a greater risk for the GOP's rather obese nominee presumptive). He's not going to drop out if he's even remotely physically capable of continuing to run.
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2023, 03:21:39 PM »

Explain to me how Gavin Newsom could win in 2024. Gavin Newsom is too anti-union to have any appeal to the progressive wing of the Democratic Party, which is becoming an increasing more important faction of the party. Unless Gavin Newson dramatically shifts leftward on policy, there is no reality in which Gavin Newsom could win a Democratic primary.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2023, 03:31:54 PM »

Explain to me how Gavin Newsom could win in 2024. Gavin Newsom is too anti-union to have any appeal to the progressive wing of the Democratic Party, which is becoming an increasing more important faction of the party. Unless Gavin Newson dramatically shifts leftward on policy, there is no reality in which Gavin Newsom could win a Democratic primary.

I don't think he'd win a traditional primary. Based on his recent trips to Israel and China, as  well as meeting with donors, I think he's banking on Biden's health forcing him out of the race in the spring of next year and a majority of Biden delegates going his way at the convention.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2023, 02:15:35 PM »

heatcharger
Atlas Icon
★★★★★

The Mikado
Moderators
★★★★★

very interesting  Surprise
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2023, 02:43:16 PM »

I don't think he'd win a traditional primary. Based on his recent trips to Israel and China, as  well as meeting with donors, I think he's banking on Biden's health forcing him out of the race in the spring of next year and a majority of Biden delegates going his way at the convention.

He could also just be putting the pieces into place if Biden is forced to drop out. So rather than counting on Biden dropping out, he may just be positioning himself for the possibility of Biden dropping out. "Betting on it" rather than "banking on it", if I have my idioms right.

Personally, I would never vote for a party that would choose Gov. Newsom as a national candidate.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2023, 02:52:01 PM »

I'm sure he's egotistical enough to think that his debate with DeSantis will go down alongside the Lincoln-Douglas debates.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2023, 05:09:35 PM »

A new hypothetical primary poll came out showing Biden polling his lowest against Newsom in a head-to-head:

Team Biden is also starting to take aim at Newsom:

The Hill: Fetterman takes dig at Newsom over White House speculation

Fetterman told the crowd there are two Democrats “running for president right now” in addition to Biden.
“One is a congressman from Minnesota, the other is the governor of California, but only one has the guts to announce it,” Fetterman told the crowd, per NBC News.

The shadow primary is heating up.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2023, 05:11:32 PM »

So Fetterman has turned out to be a complete DNC hack
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2023, 07:47:38 PM »

A new hypothetical primary poll came out showing Biden polling his lowest against Newsom in a head-to-head:

https://x.com/usa_polling/status/1721618085579235329

Team Biden is also starting to take aim at Newsom:

The Hill: Fetterman takes dig at Newsom over White House speculation

Fetterman told the crowd there are two Democrats “running for president right now” in addition to Biden.
“One is a congressman from Minnesota, the other is the governor of California, but only one has the guts to announce it,” Fetterman told the crowd, per NBC News.

The shadow primary is heating up.

heatcharger
Atlas Icon
★★★★★

The Mikado
Moderators
★★★★★

Thinking Biden is a weak candidate is one thing, but you are completely delusional if you think Newsom is going to run against him. It's just wishful thinking on your part.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2023, 04:26:58 PM »

Newsom received lots of media attention from APEC last week. Lost in the discussions about San Francisco was Biden directly praising Newsom, recognizing his potential:

Also, the Newsom-DeSantis debate is set for November 30th. Fox decided against a live audience to make sure DeSantis isn’t too embarrassed, but Newsom will still get plenty of media impressions. Expect plenty of 30-second clips designed for X and Facebook consumption.

MSNBC Democrats are gonna enjoy seeing him.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2023, 04:31:42 PM »

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2023, 10:02:56 PM »

Gavin Newsom to Rob DeSantis:

"There's one thing we have in common. Neither of us is going to be our party's 2024 Presidential nominee."

Apparently some people here:

"Hm, he sure sounds like he's running."
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2023, 10:13:00 PM »

Newsom comes off as sly, evasive, and creepy. DeSantis is awkard, annoying, and just unlikeable. Biden and Trump are far better candidates than these clowns.
Redban

« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2023, 10:14:48 PM »

Newsom's hair and smile make him look like a used car salesman. They need to do something about that to have him look presidential
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #120 on: December 01, 2023, 12:32:36 AM »

Newsom's hair and smile make him look like a used car salesman. They need to do something about that to have him look presidential

It's a ploy to win over Republican voters.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #121 on: December 01, 2023, 08:18:52 AM »

Let's be quite honest: Ron DeSantis destroyed that hair geel oiled salesman Newsom yesterday Night.

Hillary Clintons former Pollster Mark Penn said quote "DeSantis had the best Night of his entire Campaign".
Redban

« Reply #122 on: December 01, 2023, 08:59:08 AM »

DeSantis was very good in the debate. He had some hard shots. He seemed very prepared. Debates are much better with just 2 people
Junior Chimp

« Reply #123 on: December 01, 2023, 09:14:54 AM »

DeSantis was very good in the debate. He had some hard shots. He seemed very prepared. Debates are much better with just 2 people
Yeah I agree with that. Would like to have 1 v 1 DeSantis/Haley Debate. Vivek and Christie are just sideshows.

I am pretty convincted DeSantis would smack down Nikki 1 v 1 as well.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #124 on: December 01, 2023, 10:05:34 AM »

This is why I suggested that Biden should challenge each of the serious Republican candidates to a 1-on-1 debate before the primaries start.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies