House GOP in disarray.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 05:18:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  House GOP in disarray.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 138
Author Topic: House GOP in disarray.  (Read 82358 times)
MRS DONNA SHALALA
cuddlebuns
South Africa

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: October 05, 2023, 08:57:34 AM »

You literally cannot make this sh**t up.

DougJBalloon is a satire account (created to make fun of NY Times-style both-sidesism) so in this case, yes, it's quite literally made up.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #776 on: October 05, 2023, 09:03:44 AM »

Quite possibly the very last intelligent, honest republican congressman.

Well, he doesn't have to face the voters again.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #777 on: October 05, 2023, 09:19:54 AM »

McCarthy blocked the JT Committee that's why Ds voted to oust him as Speaker 208 Ds and 8 Rs

Whomever is Speaker still gonna have to compromise because Biden is Prez or face another shutdown
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #778 on: October 05, 2023, 09:31:52 AM »

I am a Democrat and I want my part to win a trifecta next year. This chaos makes it easier.

But I still want Republicans to elect a sane, moderate Speaker. Why? Because I am an American first. Speaker Matt Gaetz might be better for Democrats in 2024, but not good for our country.

That is why Jeffries should be open to a deal to elect a speaker and change the rules. Because at the moment, Gaetz is basically the speaker if he alone can call for a motion to vacant.

We’re years/decades beyond this. Republicans do not want to elect a moderate (are there even any left in the caucus anymore??) and they do not want to work with Democrats. Period!

Not 5, anyways.
Dr. Frankenstein
DoctorFrankenstein
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #779 on: October 05, 2023, 09:35:00 AM »

You literally cannot make this sh**t up.

DougJBalloon is a satire account (created to make fun of NY Times-style both-sidesism) so in this case, yes, it's quite literally made up.

I dunno if I should be scared or amused by the fact that I got so used to the insane sh**t the GOP says/does that I did not for one second suspect it might be satire...
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #780 on: October 05, 2023, 09:36:57 AM »

If Republicans cared about the institution, they could've just had 5 "moderate" members vote for Jeffries. But they didn't, so I don't want to hear it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #781 on: October 05, 2023, 09:42:05 AM »

If Republicans cared about the institution, they could've just had 5 "moderate" members vote for Jeffries. But they didn't, so I don't want to hear it.

Lawler already said he won't do it because Rs won, they tried that already , but he is gonna lose to Carr anyways . The only poll taken had it tied
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #782 on: October 05, 2023, 09:58:30 AM »

Doesn't even have to be Jeffries or an actual Dem. I'm sure enough Dems would have gone along or would go along with someone like Fred Upton or John Katko.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #783 on: October 05, 2023, 10:04:14 AM »

I don't care how moderate they are, if a congressperson is calling themselves a "Republican" there is exactly one person they cannot in any scenario vote for to be speaker and that is Jeffries. Not voting for the head of the democratic caucus to be speaker is THE defining feature thing that makes a congressman a Republican.

Do people really not get this? If a congressman is willing to vote for Hakeem Jeffries they can't call themselves a Republican. Full stop. I know the REAL wish is that there were no Republicans in Congress at all, but surely everyone here must understand that it was impossible Jeffries (or McCarthy, on the other side) was ever going to get affirmative votes for speaker from the other side of the aisle, yes?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #784 on: October 05, 2023, 10:12:11 AM »

I don't care how moderate they are, if a congressperson is calling themselves a "Republican" there is exactly one person they cannot in any scenario vote for to be speaker and that is Jeffries. Not voting for the head of the democratic caucus to be speaker is THE defining feature thing that makes a congressman a Republican.

Do people really not get this? If a congressman is willing to vote for Hakeem Jeffries they can't call themselves a Republican. Full stop. I know the REAL wish is that there were no Republicans in Congress at all, but surely everyone here must understand that it was impossible Jeffries (or McCarthy, on the other side) was ever going to get affirmative votes for speaker from the other side of the aisle, yes?

I would agree with this.  Democrats would not vote for McCarthy and Republicans are not going to vote for Jeffries.   What is potentially possible (though still extremely unlikely) is enough Republicans get so pissed off they just go F*** it and vote Present, and if enough to do Jeffries could get in with 211 votes.   Again, the chances of it happening are very slim, but that is more likely than any Republicans actually voting Jeffries.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #785 on: October 05, 2023, 10:12:19 AM »

Dereich is 100% right. If the "coalition government" thing is to be even remotely possible, it needs to be about electing a Speaker Cuellar or Speaker Golden or Speaker Fitzpatrick or Speaker Bacon, not about having a bunch of Rs become Ds (which is what voting for Jeffries means). The compromise Speaker play would still be an unworkable fiasco, but at least it's something we can talk about.

There are simply more Rs than Ds in the House, albeit by a very small margin, and voting for the Democratic Leader for Speaker makes you a Democrat. It's literally the vote that defines who you are  politically. At least with a compromise Speaker fantasy they have a fig leaf rather than surrendering outright.

By the way, I know everyone here loves the "Speaker doesn't need to be a current Rep" rule but it's basically wildly unworkable for it to be someone else. Could people stop suggesting a bunch of ex-reps like Fred Upton?

I'd take 50-1 odds that the next Speaker is a Member of the House of Representatives. It's purely in one weird trick land to think otherwise.

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #786 on: October 05, 2023, 10:19:16 AM »

Neither party has an incentive to vote for the other side. Had McCarthy made concessions to the Democrats, then MAYBE he could have been saved, but he said no concessions, so they voted against him. If things were flipped, Republicans would have done the same thing.

This notion either side had a duty to save McCarthy out of respect for the institution is lunacy. Republicans are responsible for disrespecting the institution. This isn't a both sides are at fault matter.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #787 on: October 05, 2023, 10:43:22 AM »

So funny looking back on the 2016 GOP primary and thinking that was the height of GOP dysfunction and in-fighting.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #788 on: October 05, 2023, 10:45:26 AM »

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #789 on: October 05, 2023, 11:40:36 AM »

You are missing his point; the Republicans wbrocks is addressing are the ones who are whining that Democrats have "destroyed the institution" by not voting to keep McCarthy afloat. The point is that these Republicans who complain about Dems refusing to back the Republican leader for Speaker are just as liable because they refuse to back the Democratic leader for speaker.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #790 on: October 05, 2023, 12:16:33 PM »

Dereich is 100% right. If the "coalition government" thing is to be even remotely possible, it needs to be about electing a Speaker Cuellar or Speaker Golden or Speaker Fitzpatrick or Speaker Bacon, not about having a bunch of Rs become Ds (which is what voting for Jeffries means). The compromise Speaker play would still be an unworkable fiasco, but at least it's something we can talk about.

There are simply more Rs than Ds in the House, albeit by a very small margin, and voting for the Democratic Leader for Speaker makes you a Democrat. It's literally the vote that defines who you are  politically. At least with a compromise Speaker fantasy they have a fig leaf rather than surrendering outright.

By the way, I know everyone here loves the "Speaker doesn't need to be a current Rep" rule but it's basically wildly unworkable for it to be someone else. Could people stop suggesting a bunch of ex-reps like Fred Upton?

I'd take 50-1 odds that the next Speaker is a Member of the House of Representatives. It's purely in one weird trick land to think otherwise.

I suppose thinking about it more that yes, Speaker Fitzpatrick or Gottheimer or whoever is more likely than Speaker Upton. I mostly suggested him because as a Republican with a good relationship with Biden, he seemed to make the most sense for the role.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #791 on: October 05, 2023, 12:53:46 PM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #792 on: October 05, 2023, 12:57:59 PM »

In your heart you thought it could never happen. Your head thought otherwise. Imagine him trying to be both President and Speaker.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #793 on: October 05, 2023, 01:00:14 PM »

That'd be a good way to lose the Presidential race.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #794 on: October 05, 2023, 01:23:01 PM »

That'd be a good way to lose the Presidential race.

Ask yourself what you think will happen and what you feel should happen. With Trump, they are rarely the same in terms of predicting things.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #795 on: October 05, 2023, 01:29:10 PM »

We'll caveat since it's Trump who knows but I also think it would hurt his Presidential chances. It will take time away from campaigning. And it will turn people against him when either he cuts a deal with the Democrats to fund the government (which will come up again next year even if they take care of this year somehow) or when he shuts it down for a month again.

It's also not clear how he'll be able to be a functioning Speaker when he'll be in court all next year.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #796 on: October 05, 2023, 01:30:22 PM »

Republicans: John Fetterman is disrespecting the sacred halls of government by wearing a hoodie and shorts

also Republicans: introducing the new Speaker of the House: a guy who thinks wounded veterans are suckers and brags about sexually assaulting women and is also currently charged with 91 felonies
Mr. Matt
United States

« Reply #797 on: October 05, 2023, 02:12:43 PM »

You know what they say about stupid criminals returning to the scene of the crime...
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #798 on: October 05, 2023, 02:27:55 PM »

In your heart you thought it could never happen. Your head thought otherwise. Imagine him trying to be both President and Speaker.

In your heart you know he's right.

However, I have my doubts he would actually get the votes. And Trump would almost certainly only agree to put his name up when victory is assured. He doesn't want to be embarrassed.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #799 on: October 05, 2023, 02:30:17 PM »

If Trump becomes second in line to the presidency, they gotta put Kamala in a bunker somewhere for her own safety.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 138  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies