House GOP in disarray.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:33:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  House GOP in disarray.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 138
Author Topic: House GOP in disarray.  (Read 75172 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 26, 2023, 07:25:25 PM »
« edited: October 17, 2023, 03:12:43 PM by The Dowager Mod »

GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 07:35:41 PM »

Surprised it took this long. I assume there’s enough to take him out for the moment. Unless Dems come to his rescue, but they’d be idiots to. Making the GOP look absolutely dysfunctional would be good electorally
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 07:46:25 PM »

I’ll believe it when I see it. I don’t think Gaetz has the balls to actually go through with it.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 07:58:00 PM »

McCarthy can always call Mike Rogers in to handle this. Seems that's how Gaetz was put in check last time he made trouble for McCarthy.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 08:09:16 PM »

So who is to replace him? Who wants that job.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2023, 08:19:15 PM »

There is no person on Earth who could successfully manage the Republican House caucus at this point.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2023, 08:22:46 PM »

If he expects Democrats to bail him out, he should expect an exceptionally high price.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2023, 08:35:20 PM »

Lmao, get out the popcorn for another 15 ballots.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2023, 09:06:28 PM »

💅
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2023, 10:00:16 PM »

Somehow this will be Biden's fault too, right?
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2023, 10:43:09 PM »

Do it, coward, you won't.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2023, 05:20:09 AM »

If he expects Democrats to bail him out, he should expect an exceptionally high price.

Yeah, I'm not against Democrats bailing his sorry ass out but only for some juicy concessions.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2023, 08:46:05 AM »

Can McCarthy be ousted without the election of a successor? Ergo, the speakership becomes vacant again?
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2023, 09:18:05 AM »

Can McCarthy be ousted without the election of a successor? Ergo, the speakership becomes vacant again?
Nope, in the event of a vacancy it temporarily goes to someone pre-designated by the Speaker, until a new one gets elected.

Anyway it was obvious from the previous omnibus vote that McCarthy could not afford another cave in to Democrats.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2023, 09:32:01 AM »

Nope, in the event of a vacancy it temporarily goes to someone pre-designated by the Speaker, until a new one gets elected.

Anyway it was obvious from the previous omnibus vote that McCarthy could not afford another cave in to Democrats.

What I meant is whether he could be removed as speaker by just 218 votes without another 218 for a successor. Ergo, 212 Dems + a few of the "Gaetz gang" are enough to remove McCarthy?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2023, 09:40:33 AM »

God what an absolutely clown show the GOP has become. I guess we'll just go without a speaker unless the Dems and what is left of the sane Republicans join together to elect a compromise candidate.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2023, 11:33:30 AM »

What I meant is whether he could be removed as speaker by just 218 votes without another 218 for a successor. Ergo, 212 Dems + a few of the "Gaetz gang" are enough to remove McCarthy?

Yes. Then we have ballots to elect a new one.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2023, 11:36:39 AM »

Yes. Then we have ballots to elect a new one.

Please fix the link on your signature it’s messing up the formatting of threads you comment on
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2023, 12:17:15 PM »

If he's ousted though, do they still do nothing but vote until there's a new speaker elected, even if technically there's a pre-designated temporary one?
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2023, 01:48:51 PM »

If he's ousted though, do they still do nothing but vote until there's a new speaker elected, even if technically there's a pre-designated temporary one?

Yes. The pre-designated temporary one just takes the place of the Clerk having to do it.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2023, 01:56:05 PM »

God what an absolutely clown show the GOP has become. I guess we'll just go without a speaker unless the Dems and what is left of the sane Republicans join together to elect a compromise candidate.

Yeah, the Democrats should only agree to that. Ideally it would be a former member that is respected across party lines. Someone like Fred Upton. He's still a Republican, but moderate enough for most Democrats as a compromise candidate. This would also end the obstruction by the Freedumb Caucus. These people have no desire to actually govern and find practical solutions, just grandstanding and the my way or the highway approach. The times are too serious for these clowns holding everything hostage time and time again.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2023, 02:03:10 PM »

Yeah, the Democrats should only agree to that. Ideally it would be a former member that is respected across party lines. Someone like Fred Upton. He's still a Republican, but moderate enough for most Democrats as a compromise candidate. This would also end the obstruction by the Freedumb Caucus. These people have no desire to actually govern and find practical solutions, just grandstanding and the my way or the highway approach. The times are too serious for these clowns holding everything hostage time and time again.
It would be pretty neat from a historical perspective to see a non-partisan, non-elected member be Speaker, politics aside. Someone like Collin Powell if he were still alive, etc.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2023, 02:08:25 PM »

It would be pretty neat from a historical perspective to see a non-partisan, non-elected member be Speaker, politics aside. Someone like Collin Powell if he were still alive, etc.

I was thinking along similar lines earlier and trying to come up with any possibilities in the current environment, and really having trouble thinking of one.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2023, 02:53:41 PM »

McCarthy...forever cucked again
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2023, 04:34:50 PM »

“All but promises” is a cop out. Wake me up when he actually files it (or even gives a clear red line on filing one).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 138  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies