67% of Democrats want someone other than Biden; 82% can’t name who they want
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 01:28:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  67% of Democrats want someone other than Biden; 82% can’t name who they want
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: 67% of Democrats want someone other than Biden; 82% can’t name who they want  (Read 2385 times)
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2023, 06:33:52 PM »

It’s really amazing how a lot of left leaning people say they don’t like Joe Biden yet

1. Can’t name anyone better

2. Either Can’t articulate exactly what they don’t like about Biden or blame him for not achieving some next to impossible action or not tackling some issue they had not heard about till they scrolled through twitter that day
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2023, 06:36:57 PM »

Americans aren't happy about something but can't name an alternative. News at 11. Also, water is wet.
So many candidates would be better than Biden. Evers, Shapiro, Mark Kelly, etc.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2023, 06:39:55 PM »

We know this. Many less tuned-in Democrats who aren't accepting that changing horses would actually be worse than nominating Biden are bring pouty and not all that constructive since they can't name someone they prefer.

It's frustrating right now, but I'm still confident that they'll come around in time when it becomes clear what the choice actually is and that they can't order off the menu if they want to eat at all.

Not really surprising. There’s just this kinda frustrated acceptance that has dogged the idea of Biden’s candidacy since 2019.

Started a little bit with 2016 and Hillary too.

All I know is that "You're stuck with him. What are you gonna do, vote for Trump?" doesn't sound like the best message to send to Democrats.

To hell with inspiration. That sunk us in 2016 and that's the reality. Sorry, but the entire Democratic Party is behind Biden and if it isn't him who stays President then an even more empowered Trump will. That fear should be a sufficient enough motivator if  these certain Democrats knew what was good for them.

I'm sorry, but sometimes in life you don't always get every choice you want. Maybe it would help if these voters actually could identify who they would prefer. If they can't then they really just need to get their heads straight and stop whining.

I know this sounds patronizing, but as I said before, I do think when Biden hits the campaign trail, especially in contrast to Trump, they'll recognize that even if he is too old and benign that he is still the better fit for the job.
Biden is literally neck and neck with Donald Trump! A competent candidate would blow him out of the water!

We don't know if this is true or not.

Also people are missing the very obvious fact that in a world where Biden had stepped aside, we would have a crowded, messy Democratic primary while Trump cruises to the GOP nomination.

A lot of Democratic officials would Hate that outcome. I've met people who think the length and size of the 2020 primaries hurt the Democratic party and I think...they might have had a point? I don't see how a Biden-less 2024 would have been much different from the 2020 "clown car"
nerd73
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -7.83

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2023, 06:57:40 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2023, 07:10:45 PM by nerd73 »

There's definitely a perception among most people outside of the party activist bubble that Biden is a do-nothing President (at best) and an incompetent senile fool (at worst), regardless of where the truth actually lies. Perceptions matter a hell of a lot more than the facts on the ground, and Democrats need to come to terms with this fact.

But shouldn’t these voters still come home to him?

Some of them will because of Trump, yes.
But there's definitely also a lot of people who are disillusioned enough with Biden's uninspired and 'boring' image (particularly young voters) that they may just stay home or vote 3rd party in 2024, even against Trump. Regardless of how true such a paradigm actually is, a lot of young voters (especially young leftists) see establishment liberals and Republicans as being nothing but two sides of the same corporatist coin.

American politics is something that's very easy to get disillusioned about in the modern day, and you're not going to win many favors by trying to explain Modern Monetary Theory to someone who's complaining about their leaky roof.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2023, 06:59:31 PM »

It’s really amazing how a lot of left leaning people say they don’t like Joe Biden yet

2. Either Can’t articulate exactly what they don’t like about Biden or blame him for not achieving some next to impossible action or not tackling some issue they had not heard about till they scrolled through twitter that day
Because he is a old straight white guy. Thats it. Biden has presided as left as a president could with a 50 seat majority and they still want to complain. Even Bernie Sanders has called Biden amazing.
Americans aren't happy about something but can't name an alternative. News at 11. Also, water is wet.
Shapiro, Whitmer and Kelly would all be good in 2028. None have enough experience yet.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2023, 07:04:59 PM »

There's definitely a perception among most people outside of the party activist bubble that Biden is a do-nothing President (at best) and an incompetent senile fool (at worst), regardless of where the truth actually lies. Perceptions matter a hell of a lot more than the facts on the ground, and Democrats need to come to terms with this fact.

But there's definitely also a lot of people who are disillusioned enough with Biden's uninspired and 'boring' image (particularly young voters) that they may just stay home or vote 3rd party in 2024, even against Trump. Regardless of how true such a paradigm actually is, a lot of young voters (especially young leftists) see establishment liberals and Republicans as being nothing but two sides of the same corporatist coin.

American politics is something that's very easy to get disillusioned about in the modern day, and you're not going to win many favors by trying to explain Mixed Monetary Theory to someone who's complaining about their leaky roof.

Are we comparing this to 2016 again ?

2016 was a unique case because of Hillary Clinton; Biden doesn't have any of Hillary's issues, even if he's a moderate.

Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2023, 07:26:23 PM »

American politics is something that's very easy to get disillusioned about in the modern day, and you're not going to win many favors by trying to explain Modern Monetary Theory to someone who's complaining about their leaky roof.

I’d also argue that 2024 Trump isn’t as compelling a villain as 2016 Trump was to these voters. Trump in 2016 was more infamous for his views on POC and women rather than his stance on free and fair elections.

Also, won’t Trump have a similar enthusiasm issue regarding some of his soft supporters?
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2023, 08:51:45 PM »

Because he is a old straight white guy. Thats it. Biden has presided as left as a president could with a 50 seat majority and they still want to complain. Even Bernie Sanders has called Biden amazing.
Shapiro, Whitmer and Kelly would all be good in 2028. None have enough experience yet.

Not sure experience has much do to with things.  Trump had zero electoral experience and got elected.  Obama was a first-term U.S. senator.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2023, 08:54:33 PM »

Not sure experience has much do to with things.  Trump had zero electoral experience and got elected.  Obama was a first-term U.S. senator.

Also, Whitmer is being undersold. Whitmer has 20 years of Political experience.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2023, 09:06:53 PM »

American politics is something that's very easy to get disillusioned about in the modern day, and you're not going to win many favors by trying to explain Mixed Monetary Theory to someone who's complaining about their leaky roof.

Are we comparing this to 2016 again ?

2016 was a unique case because of Hillary Clinton; Biden doesn't have any of Hillary's issues, even if he's a moderate.

You just named one issue right there in the last clause.

Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2023, 09:07:27 PM »

I'll vote for Biden over Trump.  But I'm shopping for an alternative to Biden because I really, really don't like his age.  If a Republican other than Trump is nominated, I might vote for them over Biden -- I'd have to see how they handle the pivot from the primary to the general election campaign.  I've never voted R for any federal or gubernatorial office in the past.

I'd really like to see Tim Walz, or Dean Phillips, or Amy Klobuchar instead of Biden on the Democratic ticket.  And that's just among Democrats from Minnesota.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2023, 10:41:20 PM »

Trump was a diaster and Obama made several mistakes in his first term. The Biden administration has been the most competent presidency since George H.W Bush. The most transparent since Carter. Given the 50-50 senate, the most successful and well run in a generation.

I like Presidents with experience. Give me a old white guy anyday.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2023, 10:42:40 PM »

I like Presidents with experience. Give me a old white guy anyday.

I can maybe see an argument for old age bringing wisdom, but I'm not really sure what race and gender have to do with it.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2023, 02:42:23 AM »

I feel like the universal expectation in the 2020 primary was Biden was going to defeat Trump and serve one term after. The one term and pass to the torch expectation kind of smoothed over age concerns in the primary. Most Dem voters were probably not expecting the idea of voting for a soon to be 86 y/o President down the road. So the polling on this makes sense to me. Biden has accomplished enough that he could step aside and still have a respectable legacy but there's his ego and he boxed himself with Harris, maybe on purpose.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2023, 03:23:45 AM »

I feel like the universal expectation in the 2020 primary was Biden was going to defeat Trump and serve one term after. The one term and pass to the torch expectation kind of smoothed over age concerns in the primary. Most Dem voters were probably not expecting the idea of voting for a soon to be 86 y/o President down the road. So the polling on this makes sense to me. Biden has accomplished enough that he could step aside and still have a respectable legacy but there's his ego and he boxed himself with Harris, maybe on purpose.

There was also something of an expectation that if Trump lost he’d retire from politics, due to reports he didn’t like the actual job of the presidency during his first term.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2023, 08:49:57 AM »

There was also something of an expectation that if Trump lost he’d retire from politics, due to reports he didn’t like the actual job of the presidency during his first term.

If Trump didn't run again, would Biden ?
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2023, 09:00:38 AM »

Yes. Biden is a selfish person who puts his personal interest above everything else. See the depletion of the strategic petroleum reserve for political gain.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2023, 09:06:49 AM »

Generally speaking, I believe the biggest issue that hurts Biden is his age. He got as much done as possible given congressional realities. Considering latter alone, Dems should actually love him. He generall has been more effective as prez than Obama.

Yeah, Harris with 1% support is even more embarrassing. This isn't 1968 when you could plausibly run the VP and still have a chance of winning. I always said she was a terrible choice as given Biden's age, there was a very real chance (even more than usual) she could end up actually being POTUS. And nothing in her career suggests she could handle that job any better than her previous jobs/campaigns. Whitmer or somebody would have been a far better pick.

I agree about Whitmer. Even saying this as someone who initially backed Harris' 2020 campaign before she dropped out.

Dumping her from the ticket would be bad optics for Biden now; he's stuck with her for the rest of his presidency. However, Dems shouldn't nominate her in 2028. There are several better options available, Whitmer being one of them. Other names to deserve a mention are Shapiro, Newsom, Beshear (if reelected), Warnock or Moore.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2023, 09:07:19 AM »

This was a very strange universal expectation, because from the day Biden announced his bid he was crystal-clear that he was running to be a two-term President.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2023, 09:15:11 AM »

That may have been the expectation in some corners but it was far from universal. Most serious pundits and election followers always expected him to run again. It's the bomb throwers looking for clicks have been predicting that he would quit/resign since the day he entered the race.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2023, 09:24:57 AM »

I think he'd definitely be less likely to.
Meatball Slayer
NeverDeSantis
Rookie
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2023, 09:35:47 AM »

Also, Whitmer is being undersold. Whitmer has 20 years of Political experience.
Whitmer is incredibly overrated. She’s gonna be the Ron DeSantis of 2028.
Meatball Slayer
NeverDeSantis
Rookie
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2023, 09:36:14 AM »

Let’s dispel with this fiction that Newsom is somehow a strong GE candidate.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2023, 09:59:14 AM »

I like Tim Walz.

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2023, 01:28:42 PM »

I've never met a Democrat outside of the internet

Could've just ended your post there tbh

I have lived in Iowa City, IA and Chicago, IL for the last 24 years, bozo.  Your shlt continues to be so weak, haha.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies