67% of Democrats want someone other than Biden; 82% can’t name who they want
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:27:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  67% of Democrats want someone other than Biden; 82% can’t name who they want
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: 67% of Democrats want someone other than Biden; 82% can’t name who they want  (Read 1853 times)
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 07, 2023, 01:52:40 PM »

The VP garners 1%. Beyond embarrassing for the Democratic Party.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 02:05:22 PM »

People are just confused it seems. Unfortunately it matters more that Biden isn't the most charismatic guy rather than the fact he's gotten a ton of stuff done. I'm certainly biased, but I actually believe he should run away with his election.

In the end, it won't matter and he will easily cruise to the nomination unless a dramatic change of events/decline of his health.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 02:31:24 PM »

Not really surprising. There’s just this kinda frustrated acceptance that has dogged the idea of Biden’s candidacy since 2019.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 02:32:04 PM »

This is what happens when your entire party apparatus has been controlled by the Clintons and Obama. Fortunately for Dems, they will get a chance for new blood in the party in 2028 regardless of the 2024 election. Kamala Harris is just too unpopular to win, and Biden is way too old to run in 2028 if he loses this time.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 02:52:06 PM »

Mark Kelly.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2023, 02:55:17 PM »

This is what happens when your entire party apparatus has been controlled by the Clintons and Obama. Fortunately for Dems, they will get a chance for new blood in the party in 2028 regardless of the 2024 election. Kamala Harris is just too unpopular to win, and Biden is way too old to run in 2028 if he loses this time.

I doubt Biden would run in 2028 then even if he was 20 years younger. Trump isn't the norm here.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2023, 03:17:32 PM »

Yeah, Harris with 1% support is even more embarrassing. This isn't 1968 when you could plausibly run the VP and still have a chance of winning. I always said she was a terrible choice as given Biden's age, there was a very real chance (even more than usual) she could end up actually being POTUS. And nothing in her career suggests she could handle that job any better than her previous jobs/campaigns. Whitmer or somebody would have been a far better pick.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2023, 03:34:57 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2023, 03:39:19 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Lol with the Magas as of now running the H no D can get nothing passed even when we controlled the H we had Sinema Filibuster, once Biden is rerlected with a Filibuster proof Trifecta then everything will get done. This poll is just frustrating that nothing is getting done. The Magas wantta shutdown the Govt

People don't understand what a Filibuster is, I talk to the average person they don't know what it is they think Biden personally don't wantta pass things and that's not true just like with Boehner he blocked everything, everything that Biden wants to do with passing increase on taxes only on the wealthy could of been done during Boehner yrs. But, the unemployment went down and we had surpluses because of 35% Corporate taxes

CNN is the worst pollster they have Biden down 1 all the others have Biden ahead by 3 where are the state by state polls that show Biden down in PA, WI and MI there are none just like with Redban he post the Approvals not the state by state polls Biden is at 39% no he isn't
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2023, 03:41:52 PM »

Part of the reason no one can name an alternative is because no good Democrats have run for president in over 15 years. Biden and Sanders were the best candidates (every other one in 2020 was terrible) and they are in their 80s now. No one else has publicly expressed interest, even though there are now many credible Democratic candidates with roots in Real America that would be good options.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2023, 04:07:32 PM »

Yup. I've always thought this was a bad use of polling. When you ask people whether they would like Biden or "someone else", they're just imagining their ideal candidate, whether that's Joe Manchin, AOC, Gretchen Whitmer, Jared Polis, or Bernie Sanders. But obviously Biden can't run against "someone else", he can only run against a real, specific person.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2023, 05:29:00 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2023, 05:36:51 PM by xavier110 »

Democrats are basically in the opposite situation that Republicans find themselves in. While the GOP is now functionally a personality cult that’s in lockstep/has certain “purity” tests during primaries, the Dems are rudderless.

Biden was sort of a default choice in 2020, and Kamala is not capable enough to fill the void looking forward.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2023, 05:32:09 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2023, 05:39:45 PM by Interlocutor is just not there yet »

Not really surprising. There’s just this kinda frustrated acceptance that has dogged the idea of Biden’s candidacy since 2019.

Started a little bit with 2016 and Hillary too.

And here I thought the message of "You're stuck with him. What are you gonna do, vote for Trump?" would resonate among Democrats.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2023, 05:42:49 PM »

We know this. Many less tuned-in Democrats who aren't accepting that changing horses would actually be worse than nominating Biden are bring pouty and not all that constructive since they can't name someone they prefer.

It's frustrating right now, but I'm still confident that they'll come around in time when it becomes clear what the choice actually is and that they can't order off the menu if they want to eat at all.

All I know is that "You're stuck with him. What are you gonna do, vote for Trump?" doesn't sound like the best message to send to Democrats.

To hell with inspiration. That sunk us in 2016 and that's the reality. Sorry, but the entire Democratic Party is behind Biden and if it isn't him who stays President then an even more empowered Trump will. That fear should be a sufficient enough motivator if  these certain Democrats knew what was good for them.

I'm sorry, but sometimes in life you don't always get every choice you want. Maybe it would help if these voters actually could identify who they would prefer. If they can't then they really just need to get their heads straight and stop whining.

I know this sounds patronizing, but as I said before, I do think when Biden hits the campaign trail, especially in contrast to Trump, they'll recognize that even if he is too old and benign that he is still the better fit for the job.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2023, 05:44:11 PM »

I've never met a Democrat outside of the internet who doesn't think Biden is a senile fool and simply "way better than any Republican," lol.  It's okay to admit you chose a bad candidate over a worse one, and in an ideal world you'd simply have a "good" candidate!
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2023, 05:52:47 PM »

Democrats are getting exactly what they want and they simply can't stand it!
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2023, 05:57:01 PM »

We know this. Many less tuned-in Democrats who aren't accepting that changing horses would actually be worse than nominating Biden are bring pouty and not all that constructive since they can't name someone they prefer.

It's frustrating right now, but I'm still confident that they'll come around in time when it becomes clear what the choice actually is and that they can't order off the menu if they want to eat at all.

All I know is that "You're stuck with him. What are you gonna do, vote for Trump?" doesn't sound like the best message to send to Democrats.

To hell with inspiration. That sunk us in 2016 and that's the reality. Sorry, but the entire Democratic Party is behind Biden and if it isn't him who stays President then an even more empowered Trump will. That fear should be a sufficient enough motivator if  these certain Democrats knew what was good for them.

I'm sorry, but sometimes in life you don't always get every choice you want. Maybe it would help if these voters actually could identify who they would prefer. If they can't then they really just need to get their heads straight and stop whining.

I know this sounds patronizing, but as I said before, I do think when Biden hits the campaign trail, especially in contrast to Trump, they'll recognize that even if he is too old and benign that he is still the better fit for the job.
Biden is literally neck and neck with Donald Trump! A competent candidate would blow him out of the water!
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2023, 05:59:56 PM »

Biden is literally neck and neck with Donald Trump! A competent candidate would blow him out of the water!

Then why not poll them?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2023, 06:00:05 PM »

We're still a year away from the election. That prospect will mean more and alarm Democrats when it is actually in their faces. Right now voters like them are entertaining scenarios that aren't going to happen, when that uncertainty is gone things will change.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2023, 06:01:37 PM »

We're still a year away from the election. That prospect will mean more and alarm Democrats when it is actually in their faces. Right now voters like them are entertaining scenarios that aren't going to happen, when that uncertainty is gone things will change.
Because people are scared that if Biden doesn't run, Harris will have a good chance at the nomination. She could be beaten but it's so late that it would be harder for a Whitmer/Shapiro to win
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2023, 06:07:28 PM »

Democrats are basically in the opposite situation that Republicans find themselves in. While the GOP is now functionally a personality cult that’s in lockstep/has certain “purity” tests during primaries, the Dems are rudderless.

Biden was sort of a default choice in 2020, and Kamala is not capable enough to fill the void looking forward.

Well as I said in the other part on the forum, we do have very talented state level democrats, and some senators as well. Tim Walz. Gretchen Whitmer. Jared Polis. JB Prtizker, Raphael Warnock, Josh Sharpiro, And yes Mark Kelly.

Problem is; unlike before, most of these people don't have the national profile; Mark Kelly, and Warnock, and maybe Whitmer are exceptions.

And would these people even WANT to run for President at all ??
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2023, 06:07:53 PM »

I've never met a Democrat outside of the internet

Could've just ended your post there tbh
nerd73
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -7.83

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2023, 06:20:40 PM »

There's definitely a perception among most people outside of the party activist bubble that Biden is a do-nothing President (at best) and an incompetent senile fool (at worst), regardless of where the truth actually lies. Perceptions matter a hell of a lot more than the facts on the ground, and Democrats need to come to terms with this fact.

Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2023, 06:22:01 PM »

Americans aren't happy about something but can't name an alternative. News at 11. Also, water is wet.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2023, 06:26:20 PM »

There's definitely a perception among most people outside of the party activist bubble that Biden is a do-nothing President (at best) and an incompetent senile fool (at worst), regardless of where the truth actually lies. Perceptions matter a hell of a lot more than the facts on the ground, and Democrats need to come to terms with this fact.

But shouldn’t these voters still come home to him?
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2023, 06:32:35 PM »

But shouldn’t these voters still come home to him?

Yeah, because they fear Donald.

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies