A sorority at the University of Wyoming has been forced to include a 6-foot-2 trans-identified male.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 05:02:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  A sorority at the University of Wyoming has been forced to include a 6-foot-2 trans-identified male.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: A sorority at the University of Wyoming has been forced to include a 6-foot-2 trans-identified male.  (Read 1380 times)
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2023, 08:04:50 PM »

Concerning.

Anyway, this will probably reach ten pages by tomorrow.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 08:09:27 PM »

In his decision, [the judge] wrote: “The University of Wyoming chapter voted to admit — and, more broadly, a sorority of hundreds of thousands approved — Langford. With its inquiry beginning and ending there, the Court will not define ‘woman’ today.

So it doesn’t seem like the sorority was “forced” - rather the opposite, in fact. And what does it matter how tall she was? I don’t think it’s typical for sororities to have height requirements.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 08:58:58 PM »

Sororities/frats are never forced to admit anyone. The members vote on admission, so it is likely the women voted to admit this person.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 09:09:04 PM »

In his decision, [the judge] wrote: “The University of Wyoming chapter voted to admit — and, more broadly, a sorority of hundreds of thousands approved — Langford. With its inquiry beginning and ending there, the Court will not define ‘woman’ today.

So it doesn’t seem like the sorority was “forced” - rather the opposite, in fact. And what does it matter how tall she was? I don’t think it’s typical for sororities to have height requirements.

Wow, who would have ever guessed that Outkick lied? I'm shocked (shocked!) at this development!
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 09:27:32 PM »

The majority of the sorority did vote them in, but not all of them supported the decision. Regardless of the legal situation, I don't see how its transphobic for some of the girls to be concerned about a bio man getting erect to them as they claim.
Because when have bigots ever lied about their victims?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 09:28:27 PM »

The majority of the sorority did vote them her in, but not all of them supported the decision. Regardless of the legal situation, I don't see how its transphobic for some of the girls to be concerned about a bio man woman getting erect to them as they claim.

By this logic sororities should ban all non strictly Heteros

(also fixed the misgendering free of charge)
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 10:03:29 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2023, 10:07:29 PM by Doug Burgum Sugar Baby »

The majority of the sorority did vote them her in, but not all of them supported the decision. Regardless of the legal situation, I don't see how its transphobic for some of the girls to be concerned about a bio man woman getting erect to them as they claim.

They is a gender neutral pronoun and can be used in all situations without misgendering anyone.

As for the rest of this story: Fraternities and sororities are private organizations that can decide on their membership as they see fit. If a sorority decides to initiate a transwoman I fail to see how that is the government’s concern (or mine for that matter).
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2023, 10:05:53 PM »

It seems as though the majority of the sorority, at least at some point, wanted to include her. Now, were some of the plaintiffs those who originally supported her admission and changed their mind, or were they always opposed?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2023, 10:06:40 PM »

I like how the headline and this thread title both seem to imply that 6'2" women haven't always been a thing.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2023, 10:08:07 PM »

They is a gender neutral pronoun and can be used in all situations without “misgendering” anyone.

No. If a person has a clearly preferred gender then using they is not correct. Like imagine going “this is my friend Jo, Jo uses he/him. Aren’t they a nice person! You are going to love them!”
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2023, 10:09:30 PM »

Poor girls are probably traumatized that a biological male is getting erect while watching them undress at night and while they are sleeping.

Don't project your perverted fantasies onto this random woman.
NYDem

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2023, 10:12:26 PM »

They is a gender neutral pronoun and can be used in all situations without “misgendering” anyone.

No. If a person has a clearly preferred gender then using they is not correct. Like imagine going “this is my friend Jo, Jo uses he/him. Aren’t they a nice person!”

That is just objectively wrong. They is a gender neutral pronoun in the singular and is hence never “incorrect” to use with any person. This is how the word has historically been used (when it has been used as a singular pronoun). It isn’t some third grammatical gender that is used if and only if a person identifies with it.

There is no requirement that you have to use the maximum possible level of specificity at all times. If there were pronouns wouldn’t even exist— you would just use the noun in all circumstances.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2023, 10:13:35 PM »

No. If a person has a clearly preferred gender then using they is not correct. Like imagine going “this is my friend Jo, Jo uses he/him. Aren’t they a nice person!”

That is just objectively wrong. They is a gender neutral pronoun in the singular and is hence never “incorrect” to use with any person. This is how the word has historically been used (when it has been used as a singular pronoun). It isn’t some third grammatical gender that is used if and only if a person identifies with it.

There is no requirement that you have to use the maximum possible level of specificity at all times. If there were pronouns wouldn’t even exist— you would just use the noun in all circumstances.

No, just no. You clearly don’t interact with actual trans people.
NYDem

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2023, 10:18:05 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2023, 10:25:21 PM by Doug Burgum Sugar Baby »

No, just no. You clearly don’t interact with actual trans people.

Wow, you’ve convinced me. At first I thought the singular they was a gender neutral pronoun because that’s how it’s used in common speech and how it's defined in the dictionary, but now that I’ve heard the compelling argument of “No, just no” I’ve realized that I’m wrong.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2023, 10:54:50 PM »

If I were to label a cisgender male poster here as "she" instead of "he", I don't think they'd appreciate that. With that said the posts about sorority admission are correct, it's a private policy issue and if the majority of the sorority voted to admit a transgender person they are well within their rights.

The panic over transgender women is strange. Cisgender women are far safer around transwomen than they are around cisgender males who think they are entitled to the attention of women.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2023, 11:24:26 PM »

The majority of the sorority did vote them in, but not all of them supported the decision. Regardless of the legal situation, I don't see how its transphobic for some of the girls to be concerned about a bio man getting erect to them as they claim.

The allegations in the complaint are both (1) pretty upsetting/disturbing, which is why they're getting media attention and (2) not really relevant to the legal claim, which is that the chapter president breached a fiduciary duty.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2023, 11:32:32 PM »

The girls who are unhappy with the majority vote can always quit the sorority.

I can assure you this exact scenario without the trans aspect happens all over the country every year.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2023, 11:35:39 PM »

Meh, sorority is a social club so they can do wht they want and use criteria other than sex for admissionsion if they so desire. Don't like who a sorority admits then leave the sorority, perhaps join one that restricts based on sex if single sex spaces are important to you.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2023, 12:05:39 AM »

4chan was on this one months ago.

I do not think the best legal recourse regarding these allegations would have been a lawsuit where the central argument is the "WHAT IS A WOMAN" meme. The person responsible for that choice is an idiot and/or a grifter.

Or this lawsuit was filed with the intention of generating negative media about trans people, considering the lack of substance it had + the very clear biases against trans people of the plaintiffs and their attorney.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2023, 12:08:53 AM »

Fraternities and Sororities shouldn't exist anyways, so I'm not sympathetic here.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2023, 12:23:33 AM »

Scary stuff. I feel bad for those girls who sued- they probably viewed their sorority as a safe haven for women only to have this creepy pervert dude breach their space of privacy. Poor girls are probably traumatized that a biological male is getting erect while watching them undress at night and while they are sleeping.

Here’s a crazy idea - if they don’t like the members of the sorority, they can quit and go rush/pledge another sorority.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2023, 12:30:48 AM »

Fraternities and Sororities shouldn't exist anyways, so I'm not sympathetic here.
Sometimes you just got to enjoy the ride.

I fail to see how a hardon, even if this actually happened and isn't like the other grift lies, is actually something objectionable? Unless the individual was voyeuristically exposing themselves and jerking it, this is a nonstory.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2023, 12:31:22 AM »

Scary stuff. I feel bad for those girls who sued- they probably viewed their sorority as a safe haven for women only to have this creepy pervert dude breach their space of privacy. Poor girls are probably traumatized that a biological male is getting erect while watching them undress at night and while they are sleeping.

Here’s a crazy idea - if they don’t like the members of the sorority, they can quit and go rush/pledge another sorority.

You’re right in sentiment, but from what I understand if you get accepted to a sorority and quit you’re blackballed from the rest.

It’s not life changing, but it means they won’t have as easy access to wild parties
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2023, 01:13:08 AM »

Well that will certainly change the stakes in the pyjama-wearing pillow fights.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2023, 04:15:26 AM »

You’re right in sentiment, but from what I understand if you get accepted to a sorority and quit you’re blackballed from the rest.

It’s not life changing, but it means they won’t have as easy access to wild parties

I'm pretty sure that a Republican/conservative/Christian sorority would welcome these anti-trans ladies with open arms.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies