Georgia grand jury investigating Trump returns indictments
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:03:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Georgia grand jury investigating Trump returns indictments
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 41
Author Topic: Georgia grand jury investigating Trump returns indictments  (Read 33460 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: January 09, 2024, 08:16:37 AM »
« edited: January 09, 2024, 01:34:43 PM by Chancellor Tanterterg »

Yes and no.  Let’s assume all this is true for a moment and tbf, it sounds like this was filed by a pretty well-respected lawyer rather than one of the clowns Trump normally hires (although he also has a real lawyer in Georgia) and Willis hasn’t exactly denied the allegations.  The RICO case is still almost certainly not in any jeopardy and even in the unlikely event that some charges do end up getting tossed, it would only be those against Mr. Roman as he’s the only one you could credibly argue was prejudiced by all this.  Then again, Judge Mr. X would be leaning toward tossing the charges against Mr. Roman (although, again, I doubt this happens) pending arguments from the State, so maybe he caught a lucky break.

What is far more likely is that Willis, Wade, and maybe (but not a given like the other two) the entire Fulton County District Attorney’s office get conflicted out of the Roman case (which almost certainly gets tried separately) and a special prosecutor is appointed.  I don’t think Willis or her office get conflicted out on the rest of the case because unless I missed anything, there are no allegations of anything that would have prejudiced or created a conflict regarding any defendants other than Michael Roman.  An embarrassing unforced error for sure, but unlikely to be a game changer or anything to worry too much about unless you think Michael Roman is mission-critical.  

Of course, if it turns out not to be true or is unsupported then that’s moot.  My question is, assuming this is true, how did Mr. Roman’s attorney gain access to sealed divorce records.  If Mr. Roman’s lawyer sought an unredacted copy of sealed records from Mr. Wade’s wife/ex or her attorney (or worse, got a courthouse employee to leak her an unredacted copy), then that’s obviously a serious potential ethics violation by Mr. Roman’s attorney.  
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #701 on: January 10, 2024, 03:13:02 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #702 on: January 10, 2024, 05:43:56 PM »

Yeah, those Billings stink to high heaven.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #703 on: January 10, 2024, 06:28:13 PM »

I don't think that necessarily means he billed 24 hours in one day.  It shows the date each line item was completed, so parts of that line item could have been performed earlier (though it should be noted that some other line items do show a range of dates).  Having said that, the billings do seem absurdly high.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #704 on: January 11, 2024, 12:10:45 PM »

IDK, $250 an hour actually seems like a pretty low rate for a serious lawyer to be billing.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #705 on: January 11, 2024, 01:15:50 PM »

Birdish
United States

« Reply #706 on: January 11, 2024, 02:13:24 PM »

Well, we know how Andrew Fleischman feels about it.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #707 on: January 11, 2024, 05:32:43 PM »

Well, we know how Andrew Fleischman feels about it.

Birdish
United States

« Reply #708 on: January 12, 2024, 08:18:49 PM »

I imagine a former judge like Wade would be quite an expensive lawyer, so the $250 doesn't sound all that ridiculous. And Wade has been practicing law for over 20 years so you'd presume he'd be quite wealthy.

The optics suck but it's hard for me to buy the "Wade was billing the county and using the proceeds to go on cruises with Willis" when he's a partner at a prestigious law firm and probably a millionaire.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #709 on: January 12, 2024, 09:16:32 PM »

I imagine a former judge like Wade would be quite an expensive lawyer, so the $250 doesn't sound all that ridiculous. And Wade has been practicing law for over 20 years so you'd presume he'd be quite wealthy.

The optics suck but it's hard for me to buy the "Wade was billing the county and using the proceeds to go on cruises with Willis" when he's a partner at a prestigious law firm and probably a millionaire.

250 an hour with those kind of credentials is entirely reasonable. But the hours he's been billing, unless this has been some very sloppy bill into cover the work of multiple Associates working with him on the project- which absolutely should have been denoted in the billing as well - is out and out fraud
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #710 on: January 14, 2024, 04:59:52 PM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #711 on: January 14, 2024, 05:33:16 PM »

Seems like a nothing burger as far as Trump's case is concerned. A true bill has already been obtained.
Neo-Malthusian Misanthrope
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #712 on: January 18, 2024, 01:16:25 PM »

Ga. judge in Trump case orders hearing on accusations of Willis misconduct

If Willis fumbles what should have been the strongest case against Trump due to her own poor personal conduct, it will go down as one of history's great failures.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #713 on: January 18, 2024, 05:03:52 PM »

I suspect the entire case will be thrown out
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #714 on: January 18, 2024, 05:06:54 PM »

What do you base this on?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #715 on: January 18, 2024, 05:31:18 PM »

Roll Eyes
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #716 on: January 18, 2024, 05:32:31 PM »

We don't even know if there's a relationship between them beyond friendship. That's just a suspicion. And if there is, at most it needs a special prosecutor. It's not going to be thrown out.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #717 on: January 18, 2024, 06:29:32 PM »

If Willis and her team broke no rules and/or laws while collecting evidence and building their case then what the hell does it matter if she was fooling around with the other guy?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #718 on: January 19, 2024, 06:18:16 PM »

Yeah this is objectively bad. Not a "nothingburger" at all. It shouldn't derail the actual case, which I always thought was perhaps the strongest against Trump (I mean he's literally on tape telling Raffensperger to "find" him votes), but will give Trump plenty of ammo to attack the prosecution politically. Not good.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #719 on: January 19, 2024, 06:22:39 PM »

Yeah this is objectively bad. Not a "nothingburger" at all. It shouldn't derail the actual case, which I always thought was perhaps the strongest against Trump (I mean he's literally on tape telling Raffensperger to "find" him votes), but will give Trump plenty of ammo to attack the prosecution politically. Not good.

His end goal has always been to win the public opinion battle, not the courtroom battle. I don't think it's a stretch to say the odds have tipped towards him on that front.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #720 on: January 19, 2024, 06:26:02 PM »

His end goal has always been to win the public opinion battle, not the courtroom battle. I don't think it's a stretch to say the odds have tipped towards him on that front.

I mean, how much does that really matter when you’re spending at least the next few years in prison
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #721 on: January 19, 2024, 09:13:48 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2024, 11:11:30 PM by Badger »

I mean, how much does that really matter when you’re spending at least the next few years in prison

Everything. His primary purpose for running for president again, in addition to raw unbridled narcissism and a virulent streak of revenge, is to be able to dismiss all counts against him the minute he's elected. He may have trouble doing so in state courts, but being elected president will go a long way towards shielding him even there I'm sure
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #722 on: January 19, 2024, 10:15:06 PM »

Everything. His primary purpose for running for president again, in addition to Roth unbridled narcissism and a virulent streak of revenge, is to be able to dismiss all counts against him the minute he's elected. He may have trouble doing so in state courts, but being elected president will go a long way towards shielding him even there I'm sure

He’ll be a broke, failed presidential candidate come 2025 with nothing awaiting him but prison time.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #723 on: January 19, 2024, 11:12:03 PM »

Everything. His primary purpose for running for president again, in addition to Roth unbridled narcissism and a virulent streak of revenge, is to be able to dismiss all counts against him the minute he's elected. He may have trouble doing so in state courts, but being elected president will go a long way towards shielding him even there I'm sure

He’ll be a broke, failed presidential candidate come 2025 with nothing awaiting him but prison time.

Inshalla
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #724 on: January 20, 2024, 07:33:44 AM »
« Edited: January 20, 2024, 07:37:25 AM by Farmlands »

For all of the questions of "where are all the blue avatars" in other cases, there's a distinct lack of interest here too. Same thing in r/conservative, in regard to this story, and I wouldn't have known if not for checking this thread.

The story is getting basically no traction in general media, which I assume is a mix of most journalists realizing the case won't get thrown out wholesale because of this, and the GOP primaries being in full motion.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies