New Senate Rankings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:58:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New Senate Rankings
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: New Senate Rankings  (Read 14925 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2007, 05:52:52 PM »

Democrats
Strong Dem
Illinois
Massachusetts
Delaware
Rhode Island
West Virginia
Michigan
Arkansas
Iowa
Montana

Likely Dem
New Jersey
South Dakota

Lean Dem
Louisiana-  Landreiu has appeared to weather the storm much better than Blanco, and Jindal is a much stronger opponent than anyone she will have to face.  Will be a battle, but she should win

Tossup
-

Republicans
Strong GOP
Idaho
Wyoming
Kansas
Alaska
Tennessee
Nebraska
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
South Carolina

Likely GOP
Kentucky
New Mexico-  Domenicci could retire, which would open this up quite a bit
Oklahoma
Texas

Lean GOP
North Carolina-  If Miller does run this could be quite interesting, in for a decent fight regardless, how big the fight depends on her opponent.
Maine-  Allen is going to give Collins a real serious run, she should prevail, but its going to be tough
Virginia-  Raising $500 in Q 1 leaves a very unclear sign if Warner will run for re-election.  If he doesn't this seat is up in the air, if Mark Warner jumps in kiss it goodbye.

Tossup
Minnesota - Coleman is in for a tough race.
Oregon-  Smith is in beyond deep if Defazio decides to jump in and he is facing a possible $$ draining challenge from the right.

Lean Dem
New Hampshire-  Sununu is just too conservative for the state.  His views on Iraq really are going to hurt him and his recent vote against expanding Embryonic Stem Cell research really hurts him. 

Likely Dem
Colorado -  looks as good as dead for the GOP

I mostly agree with your predictions - Minnesota and Oregon could both easily become Lean Dem if Franken gains traction and DeFazio enters the race.  I think Louisiana is probably a toss-up though, the Democratic Party seems to be quite unpopular there now and the NRSCC will definitely target hardest there; Landrieu could end up facing an uphill battle.

I still think Louisiana is lean Dem rather than a tossup.  keep in mind that the GOP is going to be playing so much defense next year that they simply may not have the resources and $$$ they would otherwise have in order to go after a state since they have to defend so much.  Also the bench for the GOP in Louisiana isn't anything amazing.  After Vitter who is already in the Senate and Jindal who will likely be Gov, its a real big drop off and while they are strong enough to probably have a decent candidate they are unlikely to have a real strong candidate to take on Landreiu.

The GOP will not have the financial capacity or the resources that the Democrats have, but they will definitely want to do more than play a defensive strategy - and Louisiana is the most obvious assault.  Landrieu won in the past by 50% and 52%, in the post-Katrina Louisiana with an unpopular Democratic Party and in a Presidential year - I still think she is clearly vulnerable.  I agree, however, that the Republicans need to find a strong candidate and as of yet have not.

I did some figuring with the 02 numbers.  If you would cut her New Orleans margin in half she still wins, by a few thousand votes.  Also keep in mind how Republican of a year 2002 was.  Louisiana is more GOP now, and it is a Presidential year, but that difference is marginalized a bit when compared with the very Republican year of 2002.

Yes, but Landrieu only wins by 2500 votes, or 0.2%.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2007, 06:42:19 PM »

Because of recent events, I will update this.
as of 4/16/07:

Democrats
Strong Dem
Illinois
Massachusetts
Delaware
Rhode Island
West Virginia
Michigan
Arkansas
Iowa

Likely Dem
New Jersey
Montana

Lean Dem
South Dakota

Tossup
Lousiana

Republicans
Strong GOP
Idaho
Wyoming
Kansas
Alaska
Kentucky
Tennessee
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
South Carolina

Likely GOP
New Mexico
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Texas

Lean GOP
Virginia
North Carolina
Oregon
Maine
Minnesota

Tossup
New Hampshire

Lean Dem
Colorado
Rawlings
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: 5.22

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2007, 07:46:56 PM »

Because of recent events, I will update this.
as of 4/16/07:

Democrats
Strong Dem
Illinois
Massachusetts
Delaware
Rhode Island
West Virginia
Michigan
Arkansas
Iowa

Likely Dem
New Jersey
Montana

Lean Dem
South Dakota

Tossup
Lousiana

Republicans
Strong GOP
Idaho
Wyoming
Kansas
Alaska
Kentucky
Tennessee
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
South Carolina

Likely GOP
New Mexico
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Texas

Lean GOP
Virginia
North Carolina
Oregon
Maine
Minnesota

Tossup
New Hampshire

Lean Dem
Colorado

If you're gonna lean Oregon, Virginia, and Minnesota for the GOP then you HAVE to lean Colorado and New Hampshire the same way.  John Warner's not running in VA and that seat is going to the Democrat.  If Peter DeFazio runs in OR then Gordon Smith is toast.

On the other hand you have the incumbent Sununu who will show strongly and then a hippie running for the Dems in Colorado (not exactly a hippie state!).

I would lean VA and OR to the Dems.  NH a toss-up.  MN and CO lean Republican.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2007, 10:44:34 PM »

If you're gonna lean Oregon, Virginia, and Minnesota for the GOP then you HAVE to lean Colorado and New Hampshire the same way.  John Warner's not running in VA and that seat is going to the Democrat.  If Peter DeFazio runs in OR then Gordon Smith is toast.

On the other hand you have the incumbent Sununu who will show strongly and then a hippie running for the Dems in Colorado (not exactly a hippie state!).

I'll just say that you have some interesting ideas on politics and leave it at that.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2007, 12:16:05 PM »

Democrats
Strong Dem
Illinois
Massachusetts
Delaware
Rhode Island
West Virginia
Michigan
Arkansas
Iowa

Likely Dem
New Jersey
Montana

Lean Dem
South Dakota

Lean GOP
Lousiana

Republicans
Strong GOP
Idaho
Wyoming
Kansas
Alaska
Kentucky
Tennessee
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
South Carolina

Likely GOP
New Mexico
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Texas

Lean GOP
Virginia
North Carolina
Oregon
Maine

Tossup
Minnesota
New Hampshire

Lean Dem
Colorado
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2007, 12:34:46 PM »

Without any serious challengers to Landrieu, it is absurd to put her seat at more than Tossup.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2007, 12:38:52 PM »

Without any serious challengers to Landrieu, it is absurd to put her seat at more than Tossup.

I agree.  The 2008 Tossup states are: Louisiana, New Hampshire and Minnesota.
Rawlings
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2007, 04:32:04 PM »

I'll just say that you have some interesting ideas on politics and leave it at that.

Come on!  If you're liberal you're likely have a more hopeful view of things for the Democrats.  And if you're not your view will be more hopeful for the other team.  You're an East Coast liberal--of course you think Udall and the Democrats are in the clear!

I'm a Colorado conservative--maybe I'm looking at things a little myopically---but if you think Udall's got things wrapped up you're in for a big surprise.

And about Minnesota--how in the world do you think Al Franken--of all people--pulls it out?  He's Al Franken!  Rush Limbaugh would lose if he ran in a mostly Republican state.  There's no way Coleman loses unless a more serious Democrat jumps in.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2007, 06:06:41 PM »

Come on!  If you're liberal you're likely have a more hopeful view of things for the Democrats.  And if you're not your view will be more hopeful for the other team.  You're an East Coast liberal--of course you think Udall and the Democrats are in the clear!

I'm a Colorado conservative--maybe I'm looking at things a little myopically---but if you think Udall's got things wrapped up you're in for a big surprise.

And about Minnesota--how in the world do you think Al Franken--of all people--pulls it out?  He's Al Franken!  Rush Limbaugh would lose if he ran in a mostly Republican state.  There's no way Coleman loses unless a more serious Democrat jumps in.

With the only serious Republican challenger out of the race, I think it would be absurd to label this as anything safer than a Tossup.

With MN, that I can agree with you on. But, Mike Ciresi is also running, so don't be too sure to put MN as safe.

With VA, Warner hasn't announced that he wouldn't run, so that is why I originally put this as 'Likely', but M. Warner might run, so that is why it is 'Lean'. I wouldn't put any incumbent as anything more dangerous than a tossup at this stage.

Rawlings
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2007, 06:09:13 PM »

With the only serious Republican challenger out of the race, I think it would be absurd to label this as anything safer than a Tossup.

With MN, that I can agree with you on. But, Mike Ciresi is also running, so don't be too sure to put MN as safe.

With VA, Warner hasn't announced that he wouldn't run, so that is why I originally put this as 'Likely', but M. Warner might run, so that is why it is 'Lean'. I wouldn't put any incumbent as anything more dangerous than a tossup at this stage.

If you want to toss Colorado up I'd go with that.  Since there is no announced Republican I guess you can put it as toss-up.

Minnesota I just don't know about.  I know it's a helluva liberal state.

Can you please explain Virginia to me?  Is it still a conservative state?  Was it ever?  How would it compare to Colorado?  What will happen in '08?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2007, 06:26:17 PM »

If you want to toss Colorado up I'd go with that.  Since there is no announced Republican I guess you can put it as toss-up.

Minnesota I just don't know about.  I know it's a helluva liberal state.

Can you please explain Virginia to me?  Is it still a conservative state?  Was it ever?  How would it compare to Colorado?  What will happen in '08?

Minnsesota I agree with you is lean Republican.

Virginia is like this: It is Republican on the national level, but competitive on the local level. The only person who could threaten John Warner is Mark Warner, but if he retires, this will become a tossup, because neither party would have a clear advantage. Tom Davis would probably win though, mainly because I don't think Virginia will want two Democratic senators, but I could be wrong. Virginia hasn't had two Democrats in the Senate since 1972.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2007, 12:13:20 AM »

Graphic Representation:
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2007, 02:08:17 AM »

A hard guess of what the Senate map will look like after Nov. 4, 2008:

Net gain of 5 seats for the Democrats.

VA includes a run and victory by Mark Warner. Stephanie Herseth will keep Tim Johnson's seat in SD. Mary Landrieu will barely survive, as Bobby Jindal is elected governor of LA in 2007. Earl Blumenauer defeats Gordon Smith in a close Oregon race. Coleman will be reelected. New England continues to trend Democratic. Jeanne Shaheen kicks out John Sununu and Tom Allen wins against Susan Collins. Mark Udall also wins the Colorado Senate seat by about 5%.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2007, 05:26:18 PM »

as of 5/3/07:

Democrats
Strong Dem
Illinois
Massachusetts
Delaware
Rhode Island
West Virginia
Michigan
Arkansas
Iowa

Likely Dem
New Jersey
Montana

Lean Dem
South Dakota

Tossup
Lousiana

Republicans
Strong GOP
Idaho
Wyoming
Kansas
Alaska
Kentucky
Tennessee
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
South Carolina

Likely GOP
New Mexico
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Texas

Lean GOP
Virginia
North Carolina
Oregon
Minnesota

Tossup
New Hampshire
Colorado
Maine

Graphic Representation:

SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2007, 10:53:29 PM »

update due to Thomas's death:

Democrats
Strong Dem
Illinois
Massachusetts
Delaware
Rhode Island
West Virginia
Michigan
Arkansas
Iowa

Likely Dem
New Jersey
Montana

Lean Dem
South Dakota

Tossup
Lousiana

Republicans
Strong GOP
Idaho
Wyoming
Kansas
Alaska
Kentucky
Tennessee
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
South Carolina

Likely GOP
New Mexico
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Texas
Wyoming #2

Lean GOP
Virginia
North Carolina
Oregon
Minnesota

Tossup
New Hampshire
Colorado
Maine

Graphic Representation:

Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2007, 09:06:52 AM »

Democrats
Strong Dem
Illinois
Massachusetts
Delaware
Rhode Island
West Virginia
Michigan
Arkansas
Iowa

Likely Dem
New Jersey
Montana

Lean Dem
South Dakota

Tossup
Lousiana

Republicans
Strong GOP
Idaho
Wyoming
Kansas
Alaska
Kentucky
Tennessee
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
South Carolina

Likely GOP
New Mexico
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Texas
Wyoming #2

Lean GOP
Virginia
North Carolina
Oregon
Minnesota

Tossup
New Hampshire
Colorado
Maine

I'm surprised I agree with most of that list.  Still, with Collins at a 25 point lead, it's absurd to call Maine a toss-up at this point (I'd have it at Lean GOP).  I'd also have placed Colorado at Lean Dem, and put Virginia in Likely GOP, since the chance of Warner running, I feel, is small enough to justify placement there.  (It's just not competitive otherwise.)
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2007, 09:15:03 AM »

I agree.

I'd put Maine at leans republican, and Colorado at leans democrat.

Also, I'd move Virginia to likely republican. I think John Warner will run for re-election, and Mark Warner will wait to run for Governor in 2009.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2007, 09:28:09 AM »

...and Mark Warner will wait to run for Governor in 2009.

In the words of Judge Judy, if it makes sense, it must be true.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2007, 02:37:03 PM »

Democrats
Strong Dem
Illinois
Massachusetts
Delaware
Rhode Island
West Virginia
Michigan
Arkansas
Iowa

Likely Dem
New Jersey
Montana

Lean Dem
South Dakota

Tossup
Lousiana

Republicans
Strong GOP
Idaho
Wyoming
Kansas
Alaska
Kentucky
Tennessee
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
South Carolina

Likely GOP
New Mexico
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Texas
Wyoming #2

Lean GOP
Virginia
North Carolina
Oregon
Minnesota

Tossup
New Hampshire
Colorado
Maine

I'm surprised I agree with most of that list.  Still, with Collins at a 25 point lead, it's absurd to call Maine a toss-up at this point (I'd have it at Lean GOP).  I'd also have placed Colorado at Lean Dem, and put Virginia in Likely GOP, since the chance of Warner running, I feel, is small enough to justify placement there.  (It's just not competitive otherwise.)

It doesn't look like John Warner is going to run for re-election...
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2007, 06:14:27 PM »

Democrats
Strong Dem
Illinois
Massachusetts
Delaware
Rhode Island
West Virginia
Michigan
Arkansas
Iowa

Likely Dem
New Jersey
Montana

Lean Dem
South Dakota

Tossup
Lousiana

Republicans
Strong GOP
Idaho
Wyoming
Kansas
Alaska
Kentucky
Tennessee
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
South Carolina

Likely GOP
New Mexico
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Texas
Wyoming #2

Lean GOP
Virginia
North Carolina
Oregon
Minnesota

Tossup
New Hampshire
Colorado
Maine

In Maine, there are two very popular figures running. At this point, I really don't trust polling. In Colorado, while the Democrat has the advantage, I have a feeling that the Schaffer campaign will be criticizing Udall for being a liberal, so I think it will be a tossup. Also, if the chance of Warner retiring weren't so huge, I would have this as Likely GOP. That, and the possibility of Mark running even if John runs foir reelection, makes this a Leans GOP.
Rawlings
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2007, 11:33:46 PM »

I agree.

I'd put Maine at leans republican, and Colorado at leans democrat.

Also, I'd move Virginia to likely republican. I think John Warner will run for re-election, and Mark Warner will wait to run for Governor in 2009.

Colorado cannot possibly be anything more than a toss-up.  The state hasn't had two Democratic senators for a long time and hasn't had a liberal elected to statewide office for, oh, maybe 30 years.  Udall, being a lot more liberal than the state, has an uphill battle as it is.  He can still win--but the idea that it will be easy is just crazy.  Don't get bamboozled by one election.  The state is still a red state.  2008 will determine if it will stay that way.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2007, 11:48:57 PM »

Those damn East Coast liberals, they hate your freedoms.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Myopically is giving yourself a lot of credit. Even rose-tinted lenses would be a lot of credit.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Franken is not so polarizing nor so disgusting and plagued by scandal as Limbaugh. Moreover, he is not alone in the race and probably not going to be the Democratic nominee. Coleman is nothing safer than Toss-up.

Likely Dem
New Jersey
South Dakota (without Tim Johnson; with him it's safe despite health conditions. South Dakotans won't like anyone campaigning against a sick guy, and, if he retires, Stephanie Herseth is the obvious replacement.)

Lean Dem
Louisiana (I hesitate to put this as a toss-up due to a lack of serious challengers.)
Colorado

Toss-up
Minnesota
New Hampshire
Virginia (without John Warner)

Lean GOP
North Carolina
Maine

Likely GOP
Oregon (Again, lack of challengers)
New Mexico
Virginia (with John Warner)
Oklahoma
Texas

Others are Safe. There's no evidence at all that Montana will be more competitive than Iowa or Arkansas.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2007, 11:57:43 PM »

Likely GOP:
Mississippi

This is essentially an average of Strong GOP (should Cochran run for reelection) and Lean GOP (should Cochran retire and the race be Mike Moore v. Chip Pickering).
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2007, 02:56:28 AM »

Franken is not so polarizing nor so disgusting and plagued by scandal as Limbaugh. Moreover, he is not alone in the race and probably not going to be the Democratic nominee. Coleman is nothing safer than Toss-up.

Saying Franken is not as polarizing as Limbaugh is like saying that getting raped is preferrable to getting murdered.  He's still incredibly polarizing, and a terrible candidate for the seat that Coleman automatically has a built in advantage over.

He's 'Hollywood Liberal.'  Bob Corker won a race he shouldn't have by using that label successfully.  It energizes Republicans, and it turns off a lot of conservative Democrats, too.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2007, 04:20:34 PM »

Saying Franken is not as polarizing as Limbaugh is like saying that getting raped is preferrable to getting murdered.  He's still incredibly polarizing, and a terrible candidate for the seat that Coleman automatically has a built in advantage over.

He's 'Hollywood Liberal.'  Bob Corker won a race he shouldn't have by using that label successfully.  It energizes Republicans, and it turns off a lot of conservative Democrats, too.

I concur. I nhink that the Democrats on this board are really overestimating their chances in MN and CO. They'll be in for a surprise when Coleman wins in a near landslide and Schaffer just barely squeaks by.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies