Nancy Mace makes her fiance wait to have sex at prayer breakfast so she can meet Tim Scott first
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:36:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Nancy Mace makes her fiance wait to have sex at prayer breakfast so she can meet Tim Scott first
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Nancy Mace makes her fiance wait to have sex at prayer breakfast so she can meet Tim Scott first  (Read 3695 times)
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2023, 03:00:04 PM »

Hot Take : A Stronger religious foundation ( all religions, not just Christianity ), makes for less political extremism on both ends.

Take for example the average Trump voter. They're actually far less likely to attend Church, and they channel their " discontent " through other means. They might call themselves " Christian ", but, they have little in common with the historical protestant ( or Catholic ) church.

When I'm talking about Protestantism, I'm talking about in the classic reformation era style churches. Lutherans, Presbyterians, Anglicans, they can be conservative or mainline. But they have a theology, a confession of faith, to rely on.

The big Box megachurch that a Trump voter might attend is just your garden variety baptist. Little to no theology. Nothing but just blood and soil American politics, and a hyper americanist ideology, that is deeply anti Christian to the core.

Unfortunately, the American Baptist evangelical model dominates in America right now, especially in white America for many many reasons. Those " high church " lutherans, Anglicans are shrinking, even the conservative branches.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2023, 03:01:09 PM »

The burden of proof lies on whoever makes the claim. Saying that religion is fiction is a claim, and therefore, the burden of proof lies on him.

That is incorrect.

People in 2004 cared about the place and occasion you were making a comment and the reason this is bad is because it happened at a prayer breakfast

Hate to break it to you, but so long as the people in question are straight white adult Christians in a stable relationship, Republicans have always been complete and utter perverts about sex.

George W Bush was absolutely sincere about his moral values and he was the leader of our party then

Cool. How did that work out?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2023, 03:02:22 PM »

The idea that "morality" peaked at any given time, 2004 or otherwise, is complete nonsense, although it's certainly true that there are discernible troughs in certain kinds of moral virtues (the 1930s and early 1940s, for instance, were definitely a time in which the milk of human kindness flowed sluggishly when it came to not perpetrating genocidal wars of choice, the late 1970s a time when it flowed sluggishly in terms of avoiding full-bore sexual dissipation). I don't particularly think Nancy Mace should be having premarital sex, I don't particularly want to know whether or not she is, and I don't particularly care that she is. (Normal, insane)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2023, 03:04:27 PM »

Sounds like they've already settled into married life.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2023, 03:04:55 PM »

The idea that "morality" peaked at any given time, 2004 or otherwise, is complete nonsense, although it's certainly true that there are discernible troughs in certain kinds of moral virtues (the 1930s and early 1940s, for instance, were definitely a time in which the milk of human kindness flowed sluggishly when it came to not perpetrating genocidal wars of choice, the late 1970s a time when it flowed sluggishly in terms of avoiding full-bore sexual dissolution). I don't particularly think Nancy Mace should be having premarital sex, I don't particularly want to know whether or not she is, and I don't particularly care that she is. (Normal, insane)

It should be pointed out that Blue States ironically, have lower birthrates of unwed mothers compared to Red states. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/unmarried/unmarried.htm

Teen Birth Rates are also lower in Blue States, than red states. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/teen-births/teenbirths.htm

For all the talk about morality, and Christian Values, it seems as if the Blue States ( probably thanks to the more Puritan values of the North east ironically ) got it more than the red states ever did.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2023, 03:06:04 PM »

The idea that "morality" peaked at any given time, 2004 or otherwise, is complete nonsense, although it's certainly true that there are discernible troughs in certain kinds of moral virtues (the 1930s and early 1940s, for instance, were definitely a time in which the milk of human kindness flowed sluggishly when it came to not perpetrating genocidal wars of choice, the late 1970s a time when it flowed sluggishly in terms of avoiding full-bore sexual dissolution). I don't particularly think Nancy Mace should be having premarital sex, I don't particularly want to know whether or not she is, and I don't particularly care that she is. (Normal, insane)

It should be pointed out that Blue States ironically, have lower birthrates of unwed mothers compared to Red states. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/unmarried/unmarried.htm

Teen Birth Rates are also lower in Blue States, than red states. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/teen-births/teenbirths.htm

For all the talk about morality, and Christian Values, it seems as if the Blue States ( probably thanks to the more Puritan values of the North east ironically ) got it more than the red states ever did.

I don't know that I think morality and Christian values have much to do with birth rates of unwed mothers one way or another, since there are a lot of distinct moral choices that go into the process of having a baby.
Rat
Snickleton
United States

« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2023, 03:08:22 PM »

This is completely ridiculous and disrespectful of the occasion. Joking about having sex let alone having premarital sex at a religious gathering is literally mocking Christianity and religion in general
You sure? That was pretty funny if you ask me.

Given this is a religious gathering, this is completely inappropriate and in 2004 America people would have agreed .

It seems like we are heading in a direction where I am more socially conservative than the average Republican voter let alone the average American sigh .

You realize 2004 was 20 years ago, right?
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2023, 03:11:45 PM »

I don't know that I think morality and Christian values have much to do with birth rates of unwed mothers one way or another, since there are a lot of distinct moral choices that go into the process of having a baby.

There's a book somewhere, I forgot what it was called that talked about how the " Puritian " values in the Northern Colonies, and ( essentially the West ), in the early Days of the American colonies, influenced American moral life there, even as religion itself declined.

While, the South used to be the most irreligious place out of the 13 colonies, but adopted Christianity as a status symbol, and as a identity, to justify slaves.

That's why in the early days, the " Puritian " culture would shun those who had babies before marriage, while the Southern Culture didn't care.

There, now I remember. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albion%27s_Seed

And here's an overview of the book. http://cameronblevins.org/cblevins/Quals/BookSummaries/Fischer_AlbionsSeed.html

" 1. Massachusetts stemmed from the Great Migration of English Puritans in 1630s, who were of middling and upper-middling means from the east of England ("East Anglian"), under an elite of Puritan ministers. This folkway was marked by relative homogeneity, stable families, older demographics, and a more balanced sex ratio. Fischer argues that it was essentially a conservative folkway that attempted to strive backwards for lost piety and had harsh institutional mechanisms for control. Finally, it was marked by several different conceptions of freedom, including spiritual freedom to focus on God, a collective liberty that restrained individuals, and more contemporary notion of liberty of protecting people from basic wants.

2. Tidewater Virginia stemmed from the Royalist Cavaliers, who were loyal to the crown during the English Civil War in the 1640s and came from Southwest England (embodied by Governor William Berkeley). These elites were actively recruited and established a hegemonic stranglehold on the region, lording over a stratified society in which 75% were poor indentured servants. They followed the Anglican church and cherished their English cultural inheritance. They ordered their society in an extremely hierarchical manner following the Anglican church and institutionally deeply tied to the crown and systems of rank and status. They crafted an ideology of "hegemonic liberty," the power to rule over others and where liberties were not universal but divvied up according to rank.

3. Delaware Valley stemmed from Quakers from northern England counties, whose ideological framework laid the ground for structuring one of the most pluralistic societies in the region. It was a culture that valued commerce and industry, and that ordered society according to keeping the peace between people rather trying to enforce unity or hierarchy. Political parties emerged fairly early on and centered on ethnic divisions. Finally, freedom centered on reciprocal (golden rule) liberty, religious liberty, and growing antislavery sentiment.

4. The Southern Backcountry stemmed from England's northern borderlands of Ireland, northern England, and southern Scotland. It was a mixed, if largely impoverished group, led by the "Ascendancy" social class of English borderlands. Fischer argues that the "Scotch-Irish" label is a misnomer, and was much more mixed. Society was structured around a culture of retaliation and retribution, and politics that were marked by improvisation and personal leadership ("men of influence") like the future Andrew Jackson. Finally, its conception of freedom revolved around "natural liberty" that stressed personal autonomy from institutions"

Democrats are more the bolded part, despite the decline in religiosity.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2023, 03:14:05 PM »

Lmao, if you really think the average American in 2004 would've given a tuppeny f**k about a woman making an oblique reference to having sex with her own fiancée, then you do not understand this country at all.

I think a woman having sex with her fiancée would have raised a lot of eyebrows in 2004!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2023, 03:17:51 PM »

Just to clarify yes, religion is bad. But Jesus Christ is good.

It's like a church message series title put it: "Exchanging the Bad News of Religion for the Good News for Jesus Christ"
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2023, 03:20:37 PM »

It's like a church message series title put it: "Exchanging the Bad News of Religion for the Good News for Jesus Christ"

This is a BS talking point that nobody outside the Evangelical bubble takes seriously.
Wouldn't a church being essentially All Liberal All The Time make it by definition not part of the "Evangelical bubble"?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2023, 03:21:29 PM »

This is a BS talking point that nobody outside the Evangelical bubble takes seriously.
Wouldn't a church being essentially All Liberal All The Time make it by definition not part of the "Evangelical bubble"?

No it would not. The messaging you're describing is a dead giveaway for Evangelical theology, which in this context is, or should be, upstream from politics.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2023, 03:33:11 PM »

People in 2004 cared about the place and occasion you were making a comment and the reason this is bad is because it happened at a prayer breakfast

Hate to break it to you, but so long as the people in question are straight white adult Christians in a stable relationship, Republicans have always been complete and utter perverts about sex.

George W Bush was absolutely sincere about his moral values and he was the leader of our party then
He was so sincere he lied us into a war and killed a million Iraqis.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2023, 03:35:54 PM »

What denominations do you consider to be evangelical ?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2023, 03:51:24 PM »

This is why you should wake up at 6, not 7.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2023, 03:58:37 PM »

I don't really blame seculars for rejecting morality when American Christians rejected it first. As St. Paul wrote to the Christians in Rome, "For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you". If it could apply to them who, as we are told from the account of Philo, lived in steadfast faith and harsh asceticism, it applies vastly more to Christians in America, whose deeds multiply unbelief and ungodliness.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2023, 04:05:34 PM »

You know I just realized that if Tim Scott stopped saying he's a virgin between when Nancy Mace was divorced and was engaged again it's entirely possible that he lost his virginity to Nancy Mace!
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2023, 04:17:25 PM »

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2023, 04:26:44 PM »

Most of atlas seriously do not have any social experience with women I take it.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2023, 04:29:01 PM »

Books are being banned, but talking about sex at a prayer breakfast (which should be family friendly) is ok. With that said her entire statement gives the vibe of a person who really, really wants people to know that they are engaged. Overall it was just one big "no one cares" type of moment of oversharing.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2023, 04:43:46 PM »

It's amazing how seamlessly some users on this site would integrate into 17th-Century Puritan New England. Reading some of these comments, you'd think Nancy Mace was on OnlyFans or something.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2023, 04:48:40 PM »

You know I just realized that if Tim Scott stopped saying he's a virgin between when Nancy Mace was divorced and was engaged again it's entirely possible that he lost his virginity to Nancy Mace!

You can still delete this you know
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2023, 04:54:35 PM »

It's amazing how seamlessly some users on this site would integrate into 17th-Century Puritan New England. Reading some of these comments, you'd think Nancy Mace was on OnlyFans or something.

Exactly. It was definitely weird that she made the comment at a religious event, but this is really not that big a deal.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2023, 05:02:53 PM »

Exactly. It was definitely weird that she made the comment at a religious event, but this is really not that big a deal.

It's not a "big deal," but it is fascinating how much the Evangelical movement has changed over the last decade even. In 2013, this would have been a major faux paus on her part just from the perspective of keeping good relations with the party base. By 2023, nobody really cares anymore.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2023, 05:08:51 PM »

You can still delete this you know

Yes but why would I?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies