Elon Musty changing Twitter branding and logo to "X"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 12:32:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Elon Musty changing Twitter branding and logo to "X"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Author Topic: Elon Musty changing Twitter branding and logo to "X"  (Read 12980 times)
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2023, 06:00:41 PM »

Elon Musk is the best thing that has ever happened to Twitter and frankly the World.

He exposed all the Govtm lies during COVID, non stop censoring stuff, etc.

We were all played by our irresponsible Governments.

And anyone who worships the old Twitter CEO's & Directors like Gadde needs to be put behind bars.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2023, 06:05:59 PM »

Elon Musk is such a dumb tool. He’d be a laugh stock if he didn’t have power.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2023, 06:39:18 PM »

And anyone who worships the old Twitter CEO's & Directors like Gadde needs to be put behind bars.
I get that you're a European. But it's high time you learn that here in the land of the free we don't throw people in jail for having opinions.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2023, 07:09:45 PM »

That would violate the 1st Amendment.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2023, 07:16:41 PM »

I'm starting to wonder if he's intentionally making Twitter even worse than it was before in order to build up his own new social media platform.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2023, 09:59:42 PM »

The logo seems awfully similar to the X Windows logo. And that dates from the 80s.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2023, 10:38:24 PM »

I get that you're a European. But it's high time you learn that here in the land of the free we don't throw people in jail for having opinions.
This is from the guy who said this deranged opinion:
McCarthy is an illegal immigrant and needs to be defeated and he will be defeated.

If not in Congress then by harrassing & vandalizing his Home.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2023, 11:12:59 PM »

I'm starting to wonder if he's intentionally making Twitter even worse than it was before in order to build up his own new social media platform.

I have begun to wonder if some of the things he's done (not X, he just has always wanted that on something apparently) are to deliberately decrease throughput and therefore expenses.  With his constant takes about twitter as a money loser,  advertisers not resigning, and backend contract supposedly going haywire,  it makes twisted sense to no longer maintain your economy of scale.  Cut users, and functions for users, so you can cut daily expenses,  so you can make profits from what remains.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2023, 01:41:02 AM »

So many people have said this, but it's worth repeating: the word "tweet" is literally in the dictionary.

Do you have any idea how big of a deal it is for your product to be used as a verb? You don't search for things, you "google" them.

Why Elon threw away the once-in-a-generation level of branding success... I will never know.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2023, 02:18:42 AM »

So many people have said this, but it's worth repeating: the word "tweet" is literally in the dictionary.

Do you have any idea how big of a deal it is for your product to be used as a verb? You don't search for things, you "google" them.

Why Elon threw away the once-in-a-generation level of branding success... I will never know.

He also named one of his sons X.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2023, 10:39:58 AM »

He’s so weird
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2023, 11:52:19 AM »

He's weird and rich! If you have money you can buy and do anything, just about.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2023, 12:54:59 PM »

I have begun to wonder if some of the things he's done (not X, he just has always wanted that on something apparently) are to deliberately decrease throughput and therefore expenses.  With his constant takes about twitter as a money loser,  advertisers not resigning, and backend contract supposedly going haywire,  it makes twisted sense to no longer maintain your economy of scale.  Cut users, and functions for users, so you can cut daily expenses,  so you can make profits from what remains.

That's a death spiral.  The value is in the users, their eyeballs, and the interrelated network effect. If Twitter loses 50% of its users, it loses far more than 50% of its revenue. (So far, it's lost less than 10% of its users and seen its revenue halved.) Despite the talk, the Blue Check and other such direct payment schemes are a drop in the bucket of Twitter's cash flow. And Twitter has $1.5 billion in annual debt load thanks to somebody named Elon Musk. Without that, it might be able to trim costs and stabilize. But with debt servicing eating around half the (still declining) gross income, Twitter is a walking dead corporation. The only question is how long it will take to rot and fall apart.

My prediction is that Musk is just trying to hold out until he gets slapped by the law:US regulators whose consent decrees he's flagrantly violating, EU regulators whose laws he's breaking, former employees whose contractual obligations he's ignoring, creditors he's stiffing*. Once the hammer drops, he can engage in one of the right's other favorite pastimes: blame throwing.

Musk after X collapses: "I was this close to turning it all around and making it a paradise when all these pesky 'rule of law' people came around and wrecked it by finally making me face some consequences for my actions! How unfair is that?"

Billionaires should not be allowed to exist.

* As is so often true, "success" for the hyper-wealthy is really just lack of responsibility, lack of  accountability, and externalizing costs. I.e. legalized crime.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2023, 12:56:59 PM »

It's incredibly rare for that to happen and for a business it is a priceless advantage. Elon's problem is that he has an ego that drives him to do things that don't make any sense. That's why I say other people are responsible for his other successful ventures. Again, I'm not businessperson, but it doesn't take an MBA to know that if you buy an established brand that you leave the branding alone if you want it to keep generating revenue.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2023, 02:17:36 PM »

That's a death spiral. 

I never said he was smart. In fact, I don't think may people in Silcon Valley are smart when it comes to the more normal sides of business,  where compared to development and data.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2023, 05:10:39 PM »

Thankfully your dream won't exist.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2023, 03:30:36 PM »

As is so often true, "success" for the hyper-wealthy is really just lack of responsibility, lack of  accountability, and externalizing costs. I.e. legalized crime.

It took a whole day to find a fresh example:
Elon Musk’s X blocks San Francisco building inspectors from giant rooftop sign
ccording to San Francisco’s city permit and complaint tracker, building inspectors tried to gain access to the building on Friday and Saturday, and were denied entry both times. A complaint had been filed with the city for installing the structure without a permit.

The structure appears to be held in place by sandbags, photos of the rooftop show, posing a potential hazard in high winds or an earthquake.

Meanwhile, at the-company-formerly-known-as-Twitter:
X reinstates Kanye West’s account after Musk banned him last year
Social media platform X (formerly known as Twitter) has reinstated the account of Kanye West (who legally goes by Ye) after he was banned last year for posting a picture of a swastika merged with the Star of David.

And, as it happens, at the same time:
Musk Threatens to Sue Researchers Who Documented the Rise in Hateful Tweets
An attorney representing the social media site wrote to the Center for Countering Digital Hate on July 20 threatening legal action over the nonprofit's research into hate speech and content moderation. The letter alleged that CCDH's research publications seem intended “to harm Twitter’s business by driving advertisers away from the platform with incendiary claims.”
Yoda
United States

« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2023, 06:13:32 PM »

I actually kinda wished I lived in that building across the street from the insanely bright "X" on top of twitter HQ. The class action lawsuit could be fun.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2023, 06:20:28 PM »

I actually kinda wished I lived in that building across the street from the insanely bright "X" on top of twitter HQ. The class action lawsuit could be fun.

Kramer?
Neo-Malthusian Misanthrope
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2023, 06:20:36 PM »

Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2023, 06:35:23 PM »

I literally took the damn app off the home screen of my phone because the X logo is so dumb.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2023, 07:37:30 PM »

I literally took the damn app off the home screen of my phone because the X logo is so dumb.

It makes me afraid to open it in public cause just innately it feels like a sex app now
Junior Chimp

« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2023, 07:47:45 PM »

Facebook/META CEO Mark Zuckerberg admitted yesterday that his Company had to do the Govtms Bidding censoring Stuff left and right during the Pandemic, even stuff that was questionable to censor. And the same stuff happened elsewhere in the world.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2023, 08:39:49 PM »

It's been taken down.
Twitter's new "X" sign was taken down on Monday after the city of San Francisco reprimanded the company for installing a giant, flashing sign above its building without a permit.

The San Francisco Department of Building Inspection said it received 24 complaints about the sign, including "concerns about its structural safety and illumination."

A building permit is technically required to dismantle the sign too, but the removal was allowed to proceed "duty to safety concerns," Patrick Hannan, a spokesperson for the department, told NPR.

Simultaneously Musk announced a new X slogan that seems to perfectly summarize his ownership.
X — the app formerly known as Twitter — has a new slogan, and it sounds a little too much like a Bon Jovi song.
"Blaze your glory!" the app's page in the Apple App Store now reads, a change from the former tagline of "Let's talk."
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2023, 09:21:50 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2023, 09:26:21 PM by All Along The Watchtower »

There are (or were—we’ll see) good journalists posting on Twitter, albeit mostly regarding more specialized stuff like underreported conflict zones. It’s also been a good place to find and follow smart and interesting people in general, which doesn’t mean that most people on Twitter are either smart or interesting. And since we’re decades into an era of divestment in things like newspapers, with the corresponding increase in freelancing and precarious employment for most writers and “creatives”, the site did provide a genuine service.

In light of the above, and for all of its preexisting issues and the toxicity and corrosiveness of Very Online culture, I’m rather skeptical that a tech billionaire with a Le Epic Bacon sense of humor turning Twitter/X into a place where crypto scammers and Nazi incels congregate is a net positive.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies