What Gives You Away as Being "Low Class"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 02:20:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What Gives You Away as Being "Low Class"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: What Gives You Away as Being "Low Class"  (Read 12675 times)
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2007, 07:14:02 PM »

For me, its apparently the fact that I eat ketchup on my scrabbled eggs.  Apparently, only people of lower breeding would do such a thing... I acctually had a girl decline me for another date because I did this.

Geez!  That's awful!

I am kinda of "better breeding", upper middle class, and I would only dislike you putting ketchup on your scrambled eggs because I hate ketchup.  I would never not date something for something that stupid, though.  That girl was definately not worth it.

I've never really been around people much richer than people in my own economic class, so I don't really know what would "give me away".

However, I could guess it would be the fact I don't sit up straight and wouldn't know which fork to use.

Rin-chan
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2007, 07:15:46 PM »

I was going to say something like that, but I decided against it for that reason Tongue

I was also going to say that I'm not articulate enough, but that's mostly just me, not like a lower class thing.

Rin-chan
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2007, 07:18:07 PM »

I was also going to say that I'm not articulate enough, but that's mostly just me, not like a lower class thing.

It might just be the fast talking getting caught up on the way out.

lol Yeah.

Or maybe I'm trying to trap people, again. Tongue

Rin-chan
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2007, 07:18:41 PM »

My profession- maybe my shoes.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2007, 07:19:22 PM »

BTW... the really sh**tty part about this is that we were discussing what we were going to do together that night... on most nights, we left the office at 11pm, if that helps you figure out what we were discussing.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2007, 07:26:49 PM »

I was engaged when I was 21 to a girl that, when she broke up with me, told me when she married, it would be to a doctor or a lawyer. Luckily we hooked up a few years later so I got to screw her and dump her, so all's even. We're both teachers, but she is married to a lawyer.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2007, 07:45:10 PM »

Things that I've noticed when I compare myself to a friend of mine whose father owns a steel company and makes $8-10 million/year...

I know how to do my own laundry.

I know how to change a tire on a car.

I know how to change the oil on a car.

I don't live in a gated community.

I don't have 8 houses.

I have a concept of the worth of money.

I don't play polo.

And what gives it away the most?  I am proud of every one of those things.

Other than that, though, my friend is quite normal.  Our politics don't mix well, though.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2007, 08:24:45 PM »

I know, some of us have to make do with 7.  It's a hard life.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2007, 08:27:39 PM »

His dad didn't want any more neighbors, so he bought all the neighbor's houses.  Now only one old lady lives next to them and they're just waiting for her to die so they can buy her house too.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2007, 08:28:21 PM »

He also replaced all the unionized workers during a strike in 1988 and hired Korean immigrants to replace them...

the guy isn't exactly what I'd call an honest business man.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2007, 08:35:50 PM »

He also replaced all the unionized workers during a strike in 1988 and hired Korean immigrants to replace them...

the guy isn't exactly what I'd call an honest business man.

I knew an arrogant douchebag I was kinda friends with at Lehigh who's dad hired Cambodians as subcontract labor and he made a fortune.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2007, 08:39:49 PM »

What is it about your behavior that gives you away as being "low class" when you are with people of "better breeding"?

For me, its apparently the fact that I eat ketchup on my scrabbled eggs.  Apparently, only people of lower breeding would do such a thing... I acctually had a girl decline me for another date because I did this.

P.S.  Maybe you don't have anything.  Maybe you have the proper breeding... in which case, I congratulate you for being better than the rest of us.

I do the same thing.  I add a little tabasco when available as well.  The thing is guys like us are "in-betweeners".  We don't carry union cards and we're no doctors/lawyers/big businesspeople.  For those in Philly that means it's best to carry a Union card whether it be FOP, Firefighters, Electrician, Pipefitters, etc. when you're at Finnegan's Wake or a NE Philly bar.  Better be a doctor or lawyer when you're in Olde City.  I think occupation plays a part too. 
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2007, 09:15:09 PM »

Paying for stuff with coins, rather than dollars and scrounging around.

I wouldn't say I'm "low class"per se.  I'm generally pretty mild mannered around people I don't know or don't know well and to those with authority.

As for what Soulty says: f--k her (so well she'll enjoy it to where she'll never give you bitchy behavior again) Wink
I also have a pallate of lesser quality, lot of 'store brand' food, simple meals such as tortilla+cheese=quesadilla...
That kinda stuff, like I say doesn't bother me-I only consider people who buy 'Banquet' brand meals to be low class Cheesy

What does bug me is my midwestern Michigan accent.  Michigan people talk waayyy too fast, and it's too nasally.

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2007, 01:03:49 AM »

I drink way too much soda.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2007, 01:41:47 AM »

My profession, clothes, eating habits.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2007, 04:22:09 AM »

smoking

tattoos

foul language
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2007, 07:27:52 AM »

I thought of one more about myself - my complete lack of interest in sport/physical activity.

How is an interest in sports an upper-class thing?

I always thought of it that way - skiing, golf, raquetball, etc.  Sports are expensive, and anyway you know the British public school ethos of sport.  Most working class people in the US have neither the time nor the space for sport.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2007, 10:47:38 AM »

I ski all the time and it is by no means an upper class sport!!  (Unless you ski at Vail or Aspen)

I can go skiing here for $10 on Friday nights.  Sure, we don't have mountains, but it's affordable.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2007, 11:02:19 AM »

cheap rum.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2007, 12:16:52 PM »

I am reasonably well-bred, play tennis, can ski in the Alps, knows my way around the sailing boat, can sing folk songs and so on. But I don't like etiquette and I hate to dress up. I'm also not really great with faking social stuff. But that doesn't really give me away. It may even make me look confident, I don't know. I'm not really rich enough though, so that can be a bit of a giveaway I guess. I'm not sure exactly how though, since I'm not interested in enough in designer clothes and cars and that sort of thing.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2007, 12:44:37 PM »

Wait, what happened to "my parents don't give me anything but food and shelter"?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2007, 03:30:11 PM »

The fact that I ain't got no damn money, and have to work six days a week.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2007, 08:13:28 PM »

Soulty, mostly the only people I know that put ketchup on eggs are from either, western PA or west virginia. My grandfather, being a coalminer, did that and I got it from him. So I come by it honest I suppose. I know virtually no southerners that do it.

I use my bread to suck up the gravy from my plate, eat chicken, ribs and bone-in porkchops with my fingers. Clothing wise I wear jeans, tshirts and ball caps which I guess could be considered "low class". My jeans have a skoal ring in them, so yeah, I guess so. Tongue
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2007, 09:00:17 PM »

I reject the label of low class.  Low class implies an inferiority in morals, mores and worth.  The working class people may act differently out of necessity.  You may value certain things that others would take for granted.  Further, certain social conventions don't really take precedence when you are most concerned about putting food on the table. 

Soulty, this whole business with ketchup on eggs is ridiculous. You like the taste and have no explanations to give.     
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2007, 09:56:44 PM »

I use my bread to suck up the gravy from my plate, eat chicken, ribs and bone-in porkchops with my fingers. Clothing wise I wear jeans, tshirts and ball caps which I guess could be considered "low class". My jeans have a skoal ring in them, so yeah, I guess so. Tongue
Who doesn't eat ribs with their fingers?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies