NEW: Trump commits to no federal role on abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 02:16:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  NEW: Trump commits to no federal role on abortion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: NEW: Trump commits to no federal role on abortion  (Read 2341 times)
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2023, 02:48:25 PM »

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 02:51:13 PM »

He's taking the 'worst of both worlds' position. Pro-choice voters will not trust him to keep his word or believe that his position is still too conservative, and pro-life voters will think he doesn't go far enough.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 03:08:46 PM »

He's taking the 'worst of both worlds' position. Pro-choice voters will not trust him to keep his word or believe that his position is still too conservative, and pro-life voters will think he doesn't go far enough.

While you might be right politically (I personally doubt it sways anything one way or another with him, specifically), I also personally think this is the most logical stance to take.  The fifty states are quite different, and most sensible people can at least empathize with the moral arguments made on both sides of this issue.  I think this will be the sensible, moderate position in less than a decade once people are used to our new post-Roe world.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 03:11:26 PM »

Certainly now is the time we should trust Donald Trump, a man who has never lied about anything before in his life.
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 03:20:38 PM »

Quite remarkable how Trump has turned a horrific campaign start to a slew of endorsements and moderate policy proposals.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2023, 03:23:27 PM »

Smart move.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2023, 03:35:21 PM »

While you might be right politically (I personally doubt it sways anything one way or another with him, specifically), I also personally think this is the most logical stance to take.  The fifty states are quite different, and most sensible people can at least empathize with the moral arguments made on both sides of this issue.  I think this will be the sensible, moderate position in less than a decade once people are used to our new post-Roe world.

This kind of argument makes sense for stuff like farming policy, or climate policy, or rural broadband, but what bearing does it have on a civil rights issue? If abortion is murder, then it shouldn't matter whether that murder takes place in California or Idaho. If abortion is not murder, then that right should not be restricted anywhere.

"Let the states decide" is probably the most incoherent and cowardly position I can think of.

There is no logical whatsoever to "let the states decide on abortion".

"I think abortion is murder, but also I'm fine if California legalizes it" is nonsense.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2023, 03:42:48 PM »

Very strategic and this could help among more culturally conservative voters in the Upper Midwest/Northeast who don't care as much about the issue without alienating pro-lifers who care deeply about it.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2023, 03:43:39 PM »

This is exactly why Stephen A. Douglas is remembered as the greatest American president
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2023, 03:51:16 PM »

This kind of argument makes sense for stuff like farming policy, or climate policy, or rural broadband, but what bearing does it have on a civil rights issue? If abortion is murder, then it shouldn't matter whether that murder takes place in California or Idaho. If abortion is not murder, then that right should not be restricted anywhere.

"Let the states decide" is probably the most incoherent and cowardly position I can think of.

There is no logical whatsoever to "let the states decide on abortion".

"I think abortion is murder, but also I'm fine if California legalizes it" is nonsense.
Different states have different legal definitions of murder, and different requirements for evidence and intent. So it makes sense from a fetal viability perspective.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2023, 04:00:15 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2023, 10:09:45 AM by Del Tachi »

Trump is the most moderate Republican president since Nixon.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2023, 04:03:10 PM »

Trump is the moderate Republican president since Nixon.

The fact you can even argue that point shows you how horrifically right wing the Republican Party actually is
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2023, 04:03:34 PM »

He's not winning even 2016 said that Biden is at 50, in Rassy tracking polls
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2023, 04:18:23 PM »

DeSantis campaign on supporting a national ban on abortion.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2023, 04:25:59 PM »

Ugh. Start counting me as undecided for the primary now. It's still a contest of whose baggage is worse, but DeSantis would obviously be stuck with abortion, even though Trump's justices overturned Roe.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2023, 04:37:09 PM »

He appointed half the court that overturned Roe vs. Wade. It's not like he didn't know that the judges were anti-choice so to call Trump pro-choice is stupid.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2023, 04:50:03 PM »

Trump is the moderate Republican president since Nixon.

You can argue he’s more moderate than Reagan or W but to say he’s more Moderate than George HW Bush or Gerald Ford is just laughable
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2023, 05:08:00 PM »

Few in the media and political punditry will say this because they are disproportionately white/affluent and think about abortion as an issue separate from all others but "leave it up to the states" is a code-laced saying that sets off alarm bells in the Black community.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2023, 05:10:04 PM »

LMAO what kind of delusion? No. The point of Roe, and the pro-choice movement, is that *everyone* has a choice - whether you're in California or Idaho.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2023, 05:10:32 PM »

He appointed half the court that overturned Roe vs. Wade. It's not like he didn't know that the judges were anti-choice so to call Trump pro-choice is stupid.
No, he appointed the majority of justices that did. Three out of five were appointed by Trump.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2023, 05:11:46 PM »

Few in the media and political punditry will say this because they are disproportionately white/affluent and think about abortion as an issue separate from all others but "leave it up to the states" is a code-laced saying that sets off alarm bells in the Black community.

Not only that, but given the amount of GOP-led legislatures still in even bluer or swing states, who would trust a GOP government to do what's right with abortion for their state? Committing to no federal role is essentially a cop-out and everyone knows it.

And of course, Trump knew what he was doing when appointed his 3 justices - and once again - did we all forget the comments he made in the 2016 where in the *general election* he said the infamous "there has to be some form of punishment" for women who get abortions.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2023, 05:19:14 PM »

Whoopdie-doodly-doo!

This doesn't mean jacks*** after he appointed 1/3 of the current Supreme Court, all of whom voted to overturn Roe and as GOP trifectas all over the country are more than happy impose their will on their states. If he and Republicans think this will be forgotten about and will be enough to stop the electoral suffering Republicans have been experiencing on the abortion issue lately, then they are assuming that all Americans are as shortsighted as their base and haven't actually learned anything.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2023, 05:27:13 PM »

Whoopdie-doodly-doo!

This doesn't mean jacks*** after he appointed 1/3 of the current Supreme Court, all of whom voted to overturn Roe and as GOP trifectas all over the country are more than happy impose their will on their states. If he and Republicans think this will be forgotten about and will be enough to stop the electoral suffering Republicans have been experiencing on the abortion issue lately, then they are assuming that all Americans are as shortsighted as their base and haven't actually learned anything.
I mean he can just say he was surprised of the repeal of Roe. IIRC Kavanaugh said it was settled during his confirmation hearings.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2023, 05:29:17 PM »

Trump is singlehandedly responsible for Roe being overturned.

Democrats absolutely cannot let anyone forget this no matter how much he tries to faux-triangulate.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2023, 05:31:59 PM »

Whoopdie-doodly-doo!

Let's just hope they're not right about that...

Let's also hope, perhaps in vain, that some evangelical voters will be less than pleased with this change in direction, causing it to backfire on them as they fail to appeal to moderates and lose some of the diehards.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies