6 dead in shooting at Christian elementary school in Nashville (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:23:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  6 dead in shooting at Christian elementary school in Nashville (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 6 dead in shooting at Christian elementary school in Nashville  (Read 7755 times)
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« on: March 27, 2023, 04:55:44 PM »

So was the shooter a man or woman? Every report I'm seeing is saying it was a woman, but the individual being identified is a transgender man?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 04:59:46 PM »

Notice nobody really even cares that six people are dead because it happens literally every day and it’s all about politics now

How can you can say that nobody cares that six people are dead when it is literally the top story everywhere?

Many millions of people care, but our political system makes sure that nothing can be done about it.

That's why it becomes about politics.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 05:06:33 PM »

So was the shooter a man or woman? Every report I'm seeing is saying it was a woman, but the individual being identified is a transgender man?

Biological female / born a woman.

So why are they being misgendered everywhere, even in mainstream/left-leaning publications?

The front page of the NY Times literally reads, "The shooter, a woman, was shot and killed by the police."  This is false, right?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 05:22:02 PM »

How lucky are conservatives right now?  Usually they have to sit quietly for a day or two and awkwardly wait for either a counter-narrative to emerge, or if not, just let the story disappear on its own.  But as if by magic, the excuse to throw this story about murdered 9-year olds directly into the trash already presented itself within about three hours; TRANSGENDERS Shocked Shocked  No need to fix any gun laws when we still have TRANS PEOPLE freely roaming around. Angry

Assuming the shooter was a transgender man, this event would seem to me to lend legitimacy to the pro-trans position.  I.e. that transgender people truly are the gender they identify with and not the gender they are born into.  

Because, honestly, a woman would never shoot up a school.  

I know it's a risk to essentialize like this on anything. But it really feels like in this case it's true, and the data backs that up.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 05:48:29 PM »

How lucky are conservatives right now?  Usually they have to sit quietly for a day or two and awkwardly wait for either a counter-narrative to emerge, or if not, just let the story disappear on its own.  But as if by magic, the excuse to throw this story about murdered 9-year olds directly into the trash already presented itself within about three hours; TRANSGENDERS Shocked Shocked  No need to fix any gun laws when we still have TRANS PEOPLE freely roaming around. Angry

Assuming the shooter was a transgender man, this event would seem to me to lend legitimacy to the pro-trans position.  I.e. that transgender people truly are the gender they identify with and not the gender they are born into.  

Because, honestly, a woman would never shoot up a school.  

I know it's a risk to essentialize like this on anything. But it really feels like in this case it's true, and the data backs that up.

One of the very first school mass shootings was actually a teenage girl. Incredibly disturbing story.

I can believe that a teenage girl would do something like that.  I'd have a much harder time believing an adult woman would.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 05:49:51 PM »

The mandatory minimum sentence for mass shooting should be the death penalty.

How would that be helpful? Most school shooters are essentially trying to commit suicide.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 03:08:23 PM »

1. So what would be an effective deterrent for school shooters?

This one seems very easy. Making it almost impossible to get a gun would be a very effective deterrent for school shooters.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2023, 12:15:48 AM »

What is this graph intended to prove? That having more guns, in the short run, increases deaths from guns?

That’s kind of a truism, no?

But isn’t the whole Republican argument that reduce the availability/legality of guns wouldn’t reduce the amount of gun violence because then “only criminals would have guns”?  

And that the fact that the US is a huge outlier in gun violence is not due to gun ownership but other sociatal factors?

Why don’t all the criminals still have guns in all the countries where civilian ownership is illegal?

In fact, the US is right on the regression line of the graph (at least I assume it is a regression line?).  This would somewhat suggest that the US has exactly the number of gun deaths that our rate of gun ownership would suggest when compared to other countries, and thus the US really isn’t any different than those other countries -except- with respect to gun ownership.  I.e. there’s no large positive residual left to be explained by other factors.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 12:41:19 AM »

This detail from this WP article is really vague, but potentially very disturbing:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/03/28/nashville-school-shooter/

Drake, the police chief, said investigators had interviewed the shooter’s parents. Hale was receiving a “doctor’s care for an emotional disorder,” Drake told reporters at a news briefing; he did not elaborate on what that disorder was or the nature of the treatment.

Did Hale’s parent believe that being trans was an “emotional disorder”? If so, how exactly were they being “treated” for it?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 03:10:20 PM »

This detail from this WP article is really vague, but potentially very disturbing:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/03/28/nashville-school-shooter/

Drake, the police chief, said investigators had interviewed the shooter’s parents. Hale was receiving a “doctor’s care for an emotional disorder,” Drake told reporters at a news briefing; he did not elaborate on what that disorder was or the nature of the treatment.

Did Hale’s parent believe that being trans was an “emotional disorder”? If so, how exactly were they being “treated” for it?

Right, because someone who killed six innocent people clearly didn’t have an emotional disorder…

Hale was clearly emotionally/mentally unwell at the time of the shooting.  But what was the cause of that? 

There’s lot of evidence indicating of mental health problems among trans people being the result of attempts to “treat” them.  And “emotional disorder” is the type of vague language than transphobic people use to justify babaric treatments in lieu of accepting trans identity.

Obviously we need a lot more information.  But the language here just raised a lot of red flags for me.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies