6 dead in shooting at Christian elementary school in Nashville
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:44:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  6 dead in shooting at Christian elementary school in Nashville
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Author Topic: 6 dead in shooting at Christian elementary school in Nashville  (Read 7723 times)
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2023, 04:59:46 PM »

Notice nobody really even cares that six people are dead because it happens literally every day and it’s all about politics now

How can you can say that nobody cares that six people are dead when it is literally the top story everywhere?

Many millions of people care, but our political system makes sure that nothing can be done about it.

That's why it becomes about politics.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2023, 05:02:05 PM »

So was the shooter a man or woman? Every report I'm seeing is saying it was a woman, but the individual being identified is a transgender man?

Biological female / born a woman.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2023, 05:05:34 PM »

I hang out on a few trans subreddits because trans people objectively have some of the best memes, and in recent months I noticed a distinct increase in rhetoric about how trans people should "arm themselves." Take it with a grain of salt, but it's not hard to see how people fearmongering about an impending "trans genocide" could make a mentally ill person more paranoid and violent. I think this theory is plausible but I'm obviously going to wait for more information.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2023, 05:06:33 PM »

So was the shooter a man or woman? Every report I'm seeing is saying it was a woman, but the individual being identified is a transgender man?

So why are they being misgendered everywhere, even in mainstream/left-leaning publications?

The front page of the NY Times literally reads, "The shooter, a woman, was shot and killed by the police."  This is false, right?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2023, 05:10:15 PM »

So why are they being misgendered everywhere, even in mainstream/left-leaning publications?

The front page of the NY Times literally reads, "The shooter, a woman, was shot and killed by the police."  This is false, right?

My best guess is some combination of :
- Female sounding name (but possibly unisex)
- All old info they found on him indicates a woman, little new info
- Trans but partially in the closet, most people didn't know yet
- It's still really early so we don't have all the information yet

The front page of the NY Times literally reads, "The shooter, a woman, was shot and killed by the police."  This is false, right?
NY Times knows something we don't, or is jumping the gun on gendering the shooter too early, or is deadnaming for some reason?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2023, 05:11:01 PM »

Catchier headline, everyone expects a mass shooter to be male.
RFK 2024
BasedSanta
Canada

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2023, 05:15:55 PM »

Notice nobody really even cares that six people are dead because it happens literally every day and it’s all about politics now

How can you can say that nobody cares that six people are dead when it is literally the top story everywhere?

Many millions of people care, but our political system makes sure that nothing can be done about it.

That's why it becomes about politics.

I should rephrase that.  People do care, but not enough to do anything more than rage tweet about it for twelve hours until the next big story comes around.  The people making this about transgender issues because the shooter happened to be part of that community are especially gross.  
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2023, 05:16:57 PM »

How lucky are conservatives right now?  Usually they have to sit quietly for a day or two and awkwardly wait for either a counter-narrative to emerge, or if not, just let the story disappear on its own.  But as if by magic, the excuse to throw this story about murdered 9-year olds directly into the trash already presented itself within about three hours; TRANSGENDERS Shocked Shocked  No need to fix any gun laws when we still have TRANS PEOPLE freely roaming around. Angry
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2023, 05:18:29 PM »

Likely because the shooter presents female, and they didn't discover their gender identity until recently. Likely that they were in the closet.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2023, 05:22:02 PM »

How lucky are conservatives right now?  Usually they have to sit quietly for a day or two and awkwardly wait for either a counter-narrative to emerge, or if not, just let the story disappear on its own.  But as if by magic, the excuse to throw this story about murdered 9-year olds directly into the trash already presented itself within about three hours; TRANSGENDERS Shocked Shocked  No need to fix any gun laws when we still have TRANS PEOPLE freely roaming around. Angry

Assuming the shooter was a transgender man, this event would seem to me to lend legitimacy to the pro-trans position.  I.e. that transgender people truly are the gender they identify with and not the gender they are born into.  

Because, honestly, a woman would never shoot up a school.  

I know it's a risk to essentialize like this on anything. But it really feels like in this case it's true, and the data backs that up.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2023, 05:22:58 PM »

The front page of the NY Times literally reads, "The shooter, a woman, was shot and killed by the police."  This is false, right?

My best guess is some combination of :
- Female sounding name (but possibly unisex)
- All old info they found on him indicates a woman, little new info
- Trans but partially in the closet, most people didn't know yet
- It's still really early so we don't have all the information yet

NY Times knows something we don't, or is jumping the gun on gendering the shooter too early, or is deadnaming for some reason?

The authorities said "transgender female" when someone asked for clarification at the end.  That implies to me that the shooter was born male but identifies as female now.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2023, 05:29:29 PM »

It's the god-damned guns. It's always been the god-damned guns. It always will be the god-damned guns.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2023, 05:30:35 PM »

The authorities said "transgender female" when someone asked for clarification at the end.  That implies to me that the shooter was born male but identifies as female now.

That would be the correct definition of "transgender female", but I wouldn't exactly expect a police officer in Tennessee to be 100% correct on the terminology.

Based on the evidence so far, it seems like the shooter was born female but identifies as male, which would make them a trans man.

If they were in the closet and still presenting as female, that would be why they were initially mistaken for female.

But I could be wrong. Best to wait for more information.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2023, 05:35:55 PM »

I don't trust Tennessee police departments to not say it backwards. All other data shows a trans man born as a female.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2023, 05:36:41 PM »

Obviously the shooting is reprehensible, and the shooter being trans doesn't change that. If there's a hell, they're burning there.

This is very much not obvious. You aren't the judge of people's souls with an understanding of what demons they have faced and what illness afflicts them. I'm so sick of your cringe self-appointment as arbiter of the universe.

I hope her soul finds peace in paradise just as much as the others who perished today. I'm sure she faced many difficulties that led her to this today that I can't begin to imagine.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2023, 05:38:54 PM »

The mandatory minimum sentence for mass shooting should be the death penalty.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2023, 05:39:29 PM »

Assuming the shooter was a transgender man, this event would seem to me to lend legitimacy to the pro-trans position.  I.e. that transgender people truly are the gender they identify with and not the gender they are born into.  

Because, honestly, a woman would never shoot up a school.  

I know it's a risk to essentialize like this on anything. But it really feels like in this case it's true, and the data backs that up.

One of the very first school mass shootings was actually a teenage girl. Incredibly disturbing story.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2023, 05:39:55 PM »

Obviously the shooting is reprehensible, and the shooter being trans doesn't change that. If there's a hell, they're burning there.
This is very much not obvious. You aren't the judge of people's souls with an understanding of what demons they have faced and what illness afflicts them. I'm so sick of your cringe self-appointment as arbiter of the universe.

Did he repent in his heart between the murders and dying, and then Jesus took the burden of his sin for him so he could still go to heaven? Because otherwise this is a child murderer who ignored "thou shalt not kill". Other than the "Jesus died on a cross so that repentant sinners could go to heaven" angle, I think it's fairly clear otherwise that this guy is roasting in hell. The bible explains the rules fairly clearly.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2023, 05:40:52 PM »

No.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2023, 05:42:13 PM »

Kinda hard to enforce it when in most cases the shooter ends up dead.
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2023, 05:42:30 PM »

Because the dead body of the shooter is female. It's not like they were going to know she identified as a man right away.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2023, 05:42:53 PM »

R.I.P. to the innocent victims, and may whoever survived recover inshallah. Hopefully the person who shot up the school gets the death penalty.

So much for prayer in school preventing school shootings.

Roll Eyes

2. Gun control doesn’t always work. Somalia has a total ban on civilians owning guns, how’s that working out for them?

Roll Eyes

Yes, because that's exactly what Somalia needs, more people with guns!

My point is that Republicans claim that prayer is an answer to shootings and not gun control, but that logic clearly is faulty because there was a shooting at a Christian school that likely has prayer.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2023, 05:44:23 PM »

Why is misgendering a mass murderer something we should care about?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2023, 05:45:19 PM »

I hope her soul finds peace in paradise just as much as the others who perished today. I'm sure she faced many difficulties that led her to this today that I can't begin to imagine.

Well personally I think that "murdered 3 adults and 3 children" is a much better reason for someone to go to Hell than simply having the audacity to be member of a different religion.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2023, 05:47:46 PM »

My point is that Republicans claim that prayer is an answer to shootings and not gun control, but that logic clearly is faulty because there was a shooting at a Christian school that likely has prayer.

You don't have a point, you just made a crass joke that was more offensive than you realized and now you're trying to rationalize it because you hate to lose face. Just say sorry and move on.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies