2023 NCAA conference realignment (12/20: the PAC-2 join the WCC)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:59:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2023 NCAA conference realignment (12/20: the PAC-2 join the WCC)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12
Author Topic: 2023 NCAA conference realignment (12/20: the PAC-2 join the WCC)  (Read 6981 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: August 27, 2023, 09:23:54 PM »

I have the perfect solution to this realignment that's been caused by television money.

Stop televising the games.

It's really that simple.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #226 on: August 27, 2023, 09:24:09 PM »

Who else other than Clemson, Miami, and Florida State that want to leave?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #227 on: August 27, 2023, 09:29:01 PM »

Who else other than Clemson, Miami, and Florida State that want to leave?

North Carolina and NC State both want out too.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #228 on: August 27, 2023, 09:56:18 PM »

Time for the ACC to add Stanford, Cal, San Diego State, and the football program of Notre Dame.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #229 on: August 27, 2023, 10:08:33 PM »

Time for the ACC to add Stanford, Cal, San Diego State, and the football program of Notre Dame.

Notre Dame isn't interested (and it certainly won't join the ACC once Florida State, Clemson etc. leave), and I don't think the votes are there to bring any of the others.

The ACC is dead, it's just a matter of determining the time of death.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #230 on: August 28, 2023, 12:18:34 PM »

Cal and Stanford are making progress in negotiations to join the ACC.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #231 on: August 28, 2023, 03:22:55 PM »

Notre Dame isn't interested (and it certainly won't join the ACC once Florida State, Clemson etc. leave), and I don't think the votes are there to bring any of the others.

The ACC is dead, it's just a matter of determining the time of death.

The only way ND would join the ACC in FB is if NBC decides they don't want to renew the media deal with ND. ND joining the ACC could, I guess, in theory, force the ACC and ESPN to re-negotiate the media deal, but all of that is unlikely.

It's only a matter of time until a school in the conference finds a way to get out of the GoR and just leaves. I don't think the likes of FSU, Clemson, UNC will sit around for another 12 years and make less and less money compared to schools in the B1G and SEC.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #232 on: August 28, 2023, 03:28:19 PM »

San Diego State should be in a conference with an ESPN deal.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #233 on: August 28, 2023, 06:42:17 PM »

They, and a lot of other teams should be FCS.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #234 on: August 28, 2023, 07:13:58 PM »

They, and a lot of other teams should be FCS.
You really think San Diego State’s basketball program deserves to have an extreme conference downgrade?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #235 on: August 29, 2023, 12:24:20 PM »

Hmm...

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #236 on: August 29, 2023, 06:25:22 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #237 on: August 31, 2023, 02:12:10 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2023, 02:15:36 PM by Storr »

The ride never ends:

Of the four previous no votes, NC State is seen as the most likely to flip their vote to yes. At minimum, 12 of 15 ACC member schools need to vote yes in order to expand the conference.

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #238 on: September 01, 2023, 07:48:44 AM »

The ACC has voted to invite Cal, Stanford, and SMU.

I didn't think they had the votes for inviting anyone. I wonder which school flipped their vote.

Also, this is horrible news for Oregon State and Washington State, as this closes a door to them (probably the AAC would have only taken all four PAC-12 schools together. I don't think they take Oregon State and Washington State by themselves). That leaves either the Mountain West, or possibly the WAC if that conference jumps up to FBS level in the near future.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #239 on: September 01, 2023, 10:06:33 AM »

I didn't think they had the votes for inviting anyone. I wonder which school flipped their vote.

Also, this is horrible news for Oregon State and Washington State, as this closes a door to them (probably the AAC would have only taken all four PAC-12 schools together. I don't think they take Oregon State and Washington State by themselves). That leaves either the Mountain West, or possibly the WAC if that conference jumps up to FBS level in the near future.

It has been confirmed it was NC State. FSU, Clemson, and UNC remained as no votes.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #240 on: September 01, 2023, 10:44:31 AM »

All Coast Conference, anyone?

UNC message boards claim it was NC State that flipped their vote. It makes sense it was them since the decision to expand was for the schools that will not get an invitation from the P2. The NC State, Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh, and Wake Forest's of the conference. Adding these three schools means that if/when FSU, Clemson, and UNC leave, the ACC would be able to survive unlike the PAC 12 and Big East [football version].

SMU joining the ACC means that Rice will be the only former Southwest Conference member to not be a member of a power conference. It took nearly 30 years for Houston and SMU to rejoin one.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #241 on: September 01, 2023, 11:22:03 AM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #242 on: September 01, 2023, 01:42:33 PM »

There have been some jarring moves already, but having two California schools in the Atlantic Coast Conference is just plain wrong.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #243 on: September 01, 2023, 02:24:40 PM »

Not ideal, but probably the best possible outcome for us here. Long-term goal should still be Big Ten, but when the ACC cracks in 5-6 years (which seems more likely than ever) being in the ACC instead of independent is likely a better position to make that jump.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #244 on: September 01, 2023, 06:53:52 PM »

A later tweet in the thread explains that Army would be a football-only member of the AAC, as Navy is now.  Army and Navy in the same conference would be pretty cool; maybe they can get Air Force too!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #245 on: September 02, 2023, 08:36:07 AM »

https://www.gocomics.com/tankmcnamara/2023/09/02
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #246 on: September 02, 2023, 09:43:38 AM »

The MW TV deal pays $3 million annually. Nothing makes sense to me anymore. If that is their best option, why not take the Cal/Stanford deal with the ACC and get $12 million a year, or heck, even $6 million for reduced brand value? All I heard was that they can't afford to go forego revenue like the other schools, but now they have no choice. The AAC would have at best matched that annual payout and now that is not even on the table.

The sole option is to expand the P-2 and even then, they would have troublesome, if not impossible, buyouts to bear to add the best AAC squads and likely no TV deal. They seem completely screwed into making nothing and playing nobody.

The AAC is probably not interested in adding them since they pose no serious poaching risk now. USF won't join this Pac-X. Maybe the five westernmost schools have some interest - UTSA, Tulsa, Rice, Memphis and Tulane - but at the end of the day, I am certain that conference pays less than the AAC.

Goodbye PAC!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #247 on: September 02, 2023, 10:33:40 AM »

The MW TV deal pays $3 million annually. Nothing makes sense to me anymore. If that is their best option, why not take the Cal/Stanford deal with the ACC and get $12 million a year, or heck, even $6 million for reduced brand value? All I heard was that they can't afford to go forego revenue like the other schools, but now they have no choice. The AAC would have at best matched that annual payout and now that is not even on the table.

The sole option is to expand the P-2 and even then, they would have troublesome, if not impossible, buyouts to bear to add the best AAC squads and likely no TV deal. They seem completely screwed into making nothing and playing nobody.

The AAC is probably not interested in adding them since they pose no serious poaching risk now. USF won't join this Pac-X. Maybe the five westernmost schools have some interest - UTSA, Tulsa, Rice, Memphis and Tulane - but at the end of the day, I am certain that conference pays less than the AAC.

Goodbye PAC!

Bold part confirmed:

The AAC will not expand "westward" after SMU decided to leave for the ACC, commissioner Mike Aresco said Friday.

In a statement, Aresco wished SMU well and updated fans on the AAC's plan for expansion.

"We have known that today’s move was a possibility, which has allowed us time to investigate a number of options, including consideration of the larger group of institutions in the Pacific time zone," the statement said. "We have concluded, however, that the best way to proceed for our outstanding student-athletes is to not look westward. Instead, we plan to focus any expansion efforts on schools that allow for sensible and sustainable competition and student-athlete well-being within our strong geographic footprint. We look forward to continued success as a leading FBS conference."

https://sports.yahoo.com/aac-not-expand-westward-wake-154332225.html
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #248 on: September 02, 2023, 09:08:15 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2023, 01:50:40 AM by Taylor Swift Boat Veterans for Truth »

Goodbye PAC!

I could see a sort of expansion that looks more like a hostile takeover — keep the name, the playoff slot (if they let you) and $60 mil in accrued NCAA tournament units (which they likely have to let you keep), and Oregon State/Wazzu, and fill it out with the Mountain West. Kliavkoff out, Nevarez in.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #249 on: September 03, 2023, 04:28:16 AM »

Not ideal, but probably the best possible outcome for us here. Long-term goal should still be Big Ten, but when the ACC cracks in 5-6 years (which seems more likely than ever) being in the ACC instead of independent is likely a better position to make that jump.

If the Big Ten was interested in Stanford and Cal, they would have made an offer now. It isn't happening.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies