2023 NCAA conference realignment (12/20: the PAC-2 join the WCC)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:39:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2023 NCAA conference realignment (12/20: the PAC-2 join the WCC)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: 2023 NCAA conference realignment (12/20: the PAC-2 join the WCC)  (Read 6977 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: August 09, 2023, 09:21:01 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #176 on: August 10, 2023, 11:19:53 AM »

lmao

Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #177 on: August 10, 2023, 12:38:13 PM »

Where will Stanford and Cal go? Crucial schools for Olympic sports.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #178 on: August 10, 2023, 01:04:37 PM »

Either the ACC or AAC.  Oregon State and Wazzu will end up in either the MWC or AAC.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #179 on: August 10, 2023, 01:30:50 PM »

Would the American or Mountain West be better for Oregon State and Washington State? Home broadcast rights for the Mountain West don't require any subscription streaming service.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #180 on: August 10, 2023, 02:51:27 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2023, 07:08:36 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

The Pac-12 has half of its 2021 $36 million in NCAA Tournament units to distribution and most of its 10-12 million to distribute for each of the last two years.

Further, there is an annual $20 million CFP payment per G5 conference. Why split this 18 ways when you can split it 9-10? (And keeping a Pac conference may be able to steal a bowl tie-in worth more than $20 million although perhaps less than the full $80 million share that the real powers get.)

I do not believe the Pac is ready to die. Surely they can at least get a tv deal matching the AAC's $7 million per school annually and perhaps 2.5x that. Why settle for so little when your schools are certainly worth more than Charlotte?

The Pac's path forward will be to secure SMU and Tulane for 2024 (Rice may not be up to par for a tv contract) - unless NorCal can swallow their pride and accept Memphis too. Then in one year they can grab San Diego State and either Colorado State and Utah State - or, if NorCal allows it for the sake of tv money, UNLV and Boise State.

The hardest consideration will be if the exit fee is worth it for those Mountain West schools. It would likely be worth it in the long-run (especially for San Diego State), unless Cal and Stanford suddenly get a life raft and they get stuck with the same old conference - but it will rely on a television partner's help in setting up a much better deal before they agree to it.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #181 on: August 10, 2023, 02:53:20 PM »

Is Clemson really going to leave the ACC?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #182 on: August 10, 2023, 04:19:37 PM »

A bit further down in the weeds, but starting in 2024, Bryant University is joining the CAA in football.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #183 on: August 10, 2023, 04:25:32 PM »

Is the ACC in danger of losing major schools?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #184 on: August 10, 2023, 04:32:09 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2023, 04:37:37 PM by Storr »

Either the ACC or AAC.  Oregon State and Wazzu will end up in either the MWC or AAC.

There is a scenario where the Pac-4 adds 4 AAC schools in 2024 (let's say SMU, Rice, Tulane, and Memphis), reaching the power conference minimum of 8 members. Then the Pac-8 adds 4 (or more?) Mountain West schools in 2025, when the MW exit fee lowers to $17 million down from $34 million in 2024.

I don't feel this is likely as it would take good leadership to manage such a plan. The Pac-4's current leadership has accomplished nothing, so I don't have any faith they could pull off a multi-year conference rebuild.

My guess is that Oregon State and Wazzou end up joining the Mountain West with concessions where they receive extra money. Boise State got similar concessions in 2012 when agreeing to stay in the MW instead of joining the Big East. "The MW's television deal pays schools $3.2 million per year with Boise State getting $5 million".
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #185 on: August 10, 2023, 04:33:54 PM »

There is a scenario where the Pac-4 adds 4 AAC schools in 2024 (let's say SMU, Rice, Tulane, and Memphis), reaching the power conference minimum of 8 members. Then the Pac-8 adds 4 (or more?) Mountain West schools in 2025, when the MW exit fee lowers to $17 million down from $34 million in 2024.

I don't feel this is likely as it would take good leadership to manage such a plan. The Pac-4's current leadership has accomplished nothing, so I don't have any faith they could pull of a multi-year conference rebuild.
Where could Stanford, Cal, and San Diego State go?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #186 on: August 10, 2023, 06:42:57 PM »

Is the ACC in danger of losing major schools?

Guaranteed they lose the top half of the conference. Might take a few years but they will.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #187 on: August 10, 2023, 07:00:37 PM »

Is San Diego State going to at least stay in the Mountain West, or will it be relegated to Conference USA?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #188 on: August 11, 2023, 06:38:19 PM »

The Pac-12 has half of its 2021 $36 million in NCAA Tournament units to distribution and most of its 10-12 million to distribute for each of the last two years.

Further, there is an annual $20 million CFP payment per G5 conference. Why split this 18 ways when you can split it 9-10? (And keeping a Pac conference may be able to steal a bowl tie-in worth more than $20 million although perhaps less than the full $80 million share that the real powers get.)

I do not believe the Pac is ready to die. Surely they can at least get a tv deal matching the AAC's $7 million per school annually and perhaps 2.5x that. Why settle for so little when your schools are certainly worth more than Charlotte?

The Pac's path forward will be to secure SMU and Tulane for 2024 (Rice may not be up to par for a tv contract) - unless NorCal can swallow their pride and accept Memphis too. Then in one year they can grab San Diego State and either Colorado State and Utah State - or, if NorCal allows it for the sake of tv money, UNLV and Boise State.

The hardest consideration will be if the exit fee is worth it for those Mountain West schools. It would likely be worth it in the long-run (especially for San Diego State), unless Cal and Stanford suddenly get a life raft and they get stuck with the same old conference - but it will rely on a television partner's help in setting up a much better deal before they agree to it.

The first thing that needed to happen for the Pac to survive, just happened. Personally, I'm hoping a rebuilt Pac includes Tulane, Rice, and SMU because all three schools used to be in power conferences back in the olden days.

Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #189 on: August 11, 2023, 06:40:41 PM »

If the Pac conference can rebuild, why not add Gonzaga and San Diego State?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #190 on: August 11, 2023, 06:56:54 PM »

The first thing that needed to happen for the Pac to survive, just happened. Personally, I'm hoping a rebuilt Pac includes Tulane, Rice, and SMU because all three schools used to be in power conferences back in the olden days.

All four schools are looking to leave the ACC. It's not in their interest to try and save that conference by adding new members.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #191 on: August 11, 2023, 08:48:30 PM »

Will Stanford and Cal be able to get into another power conference?
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #192 on: August 11, 2023, 09:28:22 PM »

Does Cal and/or Stanford actually get relegated to Conference USA or the Sun Belt?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #193 on: August 11, 2023, 09:38:27 PM »

Does Cal and/or Stanford actually get relegated to Conference USA or the Sun Belt?

No, the AAC (which is better than either of those) has already made it clear they値l take the remaining PAC-4 schools.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #194 on: August 11, 2023, 09:44:24 PM »

No, the AAC (which is better than either of those) has already made it clear they値l take the remaining PAC-4 schools.
Is the AAC better than the Mountain West?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #195 on: August 11, 2023, 10:16:16 PM »

I've seen speculation that the average annual value for my proposed contract is just below $11 million (Fresno is being substituted for Utah State - same US News rank, equivalent football standing - but I can't see another local school acknowledged as a peer. Utah State's outdated and undersized football stadium must suffice. But few seem to agree at this stage.) I suppose my $17 million estimate was quite hopeful, and I guess I knew it.

I think it needs to be at least $13-14 million to entice the MW's top teams. Exit fee covered by NCAA tournament payouts and a TV deal that reaps major dividends once the current one is set to expire. $11 million could pay off, but I don't know how you trust snakes like Stanford and Cal to sit still and not leave you stranded in the same boat they are in right now, aside from the fact that they provide no value to anybody unless they are packaged with Notre Dame. Even then they are likely dilutive.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #196 on: August 12, 2023, 07:44:00 AM »

Athletically they're comparable.  The AAC has a few "name" academic schools that might make them more attractive to Stanford and Cal.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #197 on: August 12, 2023, 07:19:49 PM »

Athletically they're comparable.  The AAC has a few "name" academic schools that might make them more attractive to Stanford and Cal.

The AAC earns more TV revenue than the other G5 conferences. So, from a money perspective it's on a level above the Mountain West. The actual quality of the athletics in the two conferences is more even, in my opinion.

Group of 5 conference TV revenue payouts to each member school per year:

American: $7 million

Mountain West: $3.2 million

Mid-American: $600,000

Sun Belt: $500,000

Conference USA: $400,000 to $500,000

I'd be fine with the hypothetical conference in the first tweet below. Though, I doubt the Pac would take Fresno State. That would give the conference 4 of 10 schools being in California. I think they'd take Colorado State or UNLV instead for their media markets.

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #198 on: August 12, 2023, 07:26:21 PM »

[text snip]

I'd be fine with the hypothetical conference in the first tweet below. Though, I doubt the Pac would take Fresno State. That would give the conference 4 of 10 schools being in California. I think they'd take Colorado State or UNLV instead for their media markets.

One of the comments on the r/CFB reddit thread for Mandel's comments gave me a chuckle:

"And they'll split nicely into divisions

Nerd Divison--Stanford, Cal, Rice, Tulane, SMU

All "State" Division--Oregon State, Washington State, San Diego State, Fresno State, Boise State"
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #199 on: August 12, 2023, 10:30:40 PM »

Create a new Southwest Conference!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies