2023 NCAA conference realignment (12/20: the PAC-2 join the WCC)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:48:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2023 NCAA conference realignment (12/20: the PAC-2 join the WCC)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Author Topic: 2023 NCAA conference realignment (12/20: the PAC-2 join the WCC)  (Read 6979 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2023, 05:58:47 PM »

The original rumor in this thread was that the Pac-12 was going to add SDSU and SMU, so maybe that's finally happening.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2023, 06:48:27 PM »

Probably the Pac 12.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2023, 06:04:26 PM »

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2023, 05:15:15 PM »

Colorado is meeting today to discuss a formal move back to the Big Twelve.

The future of Colorado in the Pac-12 is in flux, as the school is discussing the future of athletics in a university board of trustees meeting Wednesday regarding "athletics operations."

The school is mulling a potential move to the Big 12, according to sources, and Wednesday's meeting represents a potential step in the process for university officials to approve a move there, according to sources. Colorado has discussed athletics in a private session multiple times in recent months, but sources indicate the tenor of this meeting is different.

Now if Nebraska could get the hint and also move back to the Big Twelve, we might actually have a halfway decent Big Twelve (even without Oklahoma and Texas).
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2023, 06:49:00 AM »

Big Twelve votes to bring back Colorado after the 2023-24 season.

The Big 12's presidents and chancellors voted unanimously on a conference call to accept Colorado as a new member on Wednesday night, sources told ESPN.

The vote marks one of the final remaining steps to be completed for Colorado to leave the Pac-12 for the Big 12, a move that's hurtling toward being finalized on Thursday.

Colorado still has not formally applied for Big 12 membership, another of the final formal steps remaining for it to join the league. But Wednesday night's Big 12 vote marks a necessary step toward it joining the conference, a move that's increasingly becoming an inevitability.

A Colorado departure from the Pac-12 would come after the 2023-24 season and coincide with the end of the Pac-12 television deal. That would mean that Colorado would not have to pay any exit fee to the league.

Colorado is expected to formally apply for membership on Thursday, the same day that the school's Board of Regents is holding a "special board meeting" that sources say includes a vote on the move to the Big 12. Sources expect the final steps to be taken on Thursday and a deal to be formalized.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2023, 01:56:16 PM »

Florida State 247 insiders say there is a lot of rumbling about the Seminoles pulling out of the ACC in the next 3 weeks. If this happens, it 90% means that they and Miami are headed to the Big Ten. Absolutely crazy stuff.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2023, 02:25:38 PM »

Florida State 247 insiders say there is a lot of rumbling about the Seminoles pulling out of the ACC in the next 3 weeks. If this happens, it 90% means that they and Miami are headed to the Big Ten. Absolutely crazy stuff.

I highly doubt the SEC will sit back and let Florida State slip away to the Big 10. Miami, maybe.

I expect Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, and 1-5 other ACC schools to eventually move over to the SEC.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2023, 03:26:08 PM »

Neither Florida State nor Miami are academic fits for the Big Ten, which seems to at least somewhat value academics on some level.

They'd be better off pursuing some combination of Vanderbilt/Duke/Notre Dame/Stanford.

In fact, if I were them, I'd pursue Stanford instead of Florida State or Miami, as it gives them another major media market on the West Coast (San Francisco), gives USC and UCLA a regional partner, and is a better academic school than Florida State or Miami (and for that matter far better than Nebraska.)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2023, 07:48:11 AM »

The Big Twelve is looking to add another school.

While the odds favor Arizona, I'm personally hoping the school in question is Nebraska. (or alternatively, Memphis, I suppose.)
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2023, 11:17:01 AM »

The Big Twelve is looking to add another school.

While the odds favor Arizona, I'm personally hoping the school in question is Nebraska. (or alternatively, Memphis, I suppose.)

Nebraska isn't walking away from Big Ten money and stability, lol.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2023, 07:13:40 PM »

ACC also looking to expand.

Other than Notre Dame, or a shock move like Florida or South Carolina leaving the SEC, I can't think of any school that fits the geographic profile and is a fit.

Maybe UConn?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2023, 09:19:56 PM »

Other than Notre Dame, or a shock move like Florida or South Carolina leaving the SEC, I can't think of any school that fits the geographic profile and is a fit.

Maybe UConn?

Crazy prediction (kinda): Stanford, Cal. Maybe Washington and Oregon if those don't go to the Big 10.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2023, 09:27:33 PM »

Maybe UConn?

Crazy prediction (kinda): Stanford, Cal. Maybe Washington and Oregon if those don't go to the Big 10.

I don't see the Washington and Oregon as interested in the ACC.

They might try and fight the Big Twelve for Arizona (Duke and North Carolina would love that) or make Notre Dame some truly massive offer that the Fighting Irish just can't refuse.

Other than that, I'd guess UConn, and maybe West Virginia (Big Twelve), Buffalo (MAC) and Rutgers (Big Ten).
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2023, 10:21:42 PM »

Maryland and/or Rutgers to the ACC?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2023, 11:03:58 PM »

No way anyone is leaving the Big 10 for the ACC, period.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2023, 10:33:36 AM »

Maryland would be more likely than Rutgers given the emphasis that school places on Basketball (and the ACC being slightly stronger in theory than the Big Ten in basketball). But it's very unlikely, unless Maryland (or Rutgers) is really unhappy in the Big Ten and we don't know about it.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2023, 10:34:59 AM »

Of that list, Colorado State,  San Diego State, Boise State, UNLV and Fresno State would all make sense for the PAC-12. I'd expect to see most of those programs get an official invitation (maybe UNLV or Fresno State doesn't make the cut),
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2023, 02:37:10 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2023, 02:49:44 PM by Storr »

Maybe UConn?

I've long been dying on this hill, but West Virginia is such a natural fit for the ACC. It was a crime the ACC rejected them in the early 2010s because of "academics". The ACC isn't the Ivy League. It's a sports conference, get over yourselves.

Notre Dame football would be a great get for the ACC (ND is already in the ACC for non-football sports), but with the university's lucrative media rights deal with NBC, they have no incentive to join.

Maryland will not leave the B1G for the ACC. They make so much more money than ACC schools.

If I were the ACC (assuming ND has no interest in joining the conference for football), I'd invite West Virginia and Cincinnati. West Virginia is a no brainer with all of the former Big East schools and longstanding rivalries currently in the ACC. Meanwhile, Cincinnati expands the conference into a large new state (useful for media rights/coverage and recruiting purposes) and pairs well with Louisville, which has been an odd fit in the ACC ever since the conference added them in a panic when Maryland left for the B1G.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2023, 11:08:40 PM »

Notre Dame football has two years left on its contract with NBC. What will the next deal be when it expires?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2023, 09:35:38 AM »

West Virginia is a much better fit for the Big 12 than the ACC.

I don't see these moves as destroying the PAC just yet. All the Big 12 has done I'd poach two of the three weakest football programs. San Diego State and SMU arguably are an upgrade. They may not be above the average PAC squad in upping the AAV, but you still need 10 to be considered a serious conference, so they won't bring down the value compared to who they are replacing.

Utah is not eager to leave. If the Big 12 really wanted to deal a death blow, it has to go through Oregon first. That is the only way to make Utah sweat and force them to fold.

Also, the longer this goes, the better it is for Oregon State. They struggled a lot last decade, but if they can prove they are back, they could survive this - which I don't think is possible for Washington State under any circumstances.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2023, 02:12:25 PM »

Maybe UConn?

I've long been dying on this hill, but West Virginia is such a natural fit for the ACC. It was a crime the ACC rejected them in the early 2010s because of "academics". The ACC isn't the Ivy League. It's a sports conference, get over yourselves.

Notre Dame football would be a great get for the ACC (ND is already in the ACC for non-football sports), but with the university's lucrative media rights deal with NBC, they have no incentive to join.

Maryland will not leave the B1G for the ACC. They make so much more money than ACC schools.

If I were the ACC (assuming ND has no interest in joining the conference for football), I'd invite West Virginia and Cincinnati. West Virginia is a no brainer with all of the former Big East schools and longstanding rivalries currently in the ACC. Meanwhile, Cincinnati expands the conference into a large new state (useful for media rights/coverage and recruiting purposes) and pairs well with Louisville, which has been an odd fit in the ACC ever since the conference added them in a panic when Maryland left for the B1G.

The problem there is the same problem the current ACC members are dealing with: the ACC media grant of rights that lasts until 2036. It seems possible, maybe even likely, that if it survives as a major power until then the Big 12 will be able to secure a larger media contract than the ACC has come 2028 when their current contract expires. The ACC is chained to their own deal and there's no chance that ESPN will willingly get rid of it. The ACC is also quite clearly only being held together by that contract. The biggest moneymaking programs would have already ditched the conference if they could do so legally. Why would anyone want to jump from the Big 12 to join an ACC ready to fall apart the moment it can do so? Particularly if staying in the Big 12 could end up paying out more in just a few years.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2023, 07:46:57 PM »

Rumor is Big 10 adds Oregon, Washington, FSU and Clemson this week.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2023, 07:51:01 PM »

I'm very skeptical. If ACC teams are available, the Big 10 would be going for North Carolina and Virginia.

I mean, I guess it's possible that UNC and UVA have chosen the SEC over the Big 10, while Florida State and Clemson chose the Big 10 over the SEC, but that would be pretty surprising.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2023, 08:01:20 PM »

I'm very skeptical. If ACC teams are available, the Big 10 would be going for North Carolina and Virginia.

I mean, I guess it's possible that UNC and UVA have chosen the SEC over the Big 10, while Florida State and Clemson chose the Big 10 over the SEC, but that would be pretty surprising.

Those four would be the biggest gets, conference could say “you’ll come, we need these guys first” and then could eventually get UNC, Virginia, Stanford, Cal and Miami.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2023, 08:04:10 PM »

UNC isn't going anywhere without Duke.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies