LGC 11.36 — Worker Improvement Act — PASSED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:49:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LGC 11.36 — Worker Improvement Act — PASSED
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: LGC 11.36 — Worker Improvement Act — PASSED  (Read 496 times)
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2023, 11:15:04 PM »
« edited: January 23, 2023, 06:39:30 PM by LGC Speaker ZMUN M441 »

Worker Improvement Act

Section I. This bill will be known as the Worker Improvement Act

Section II. Improving Worker Rights
A. It will be illegal for workers in Lincoln to be scheduled to work greater than 6 days a week or to be called in to work if they have already worked 6 days that week.
B. Workers will be entitled to a minimum of 60 days combined of vacation and sick pay that is accumulated every year. Those who retire with unused time will receive a day's wage for each unused day.
C. Employers must provide a minimum of 1 year of full paid maternity leave. Up to 10 years is permitted, although they will not receive it in full. For example, someone that requests 5 years off will only receive 20% of pay for that period. Fathers are normally entitled to half of the time off (up to 6 months fully paid), although single fathers are entitled for maternity leave benefits. Married or taken men who file for divorce or break up with their girlfriend/wife will not be eligible for full services unless there is proof of abuse or adultery. This is to prevent a loophole that would have incentivized fathers to become single to get more money. Single fathers who enter into a relationship on full benefits will not lose them.
D. Any individual in a same-sex relationship that makes the least amount of money will be eligible for maternity leave regardless of gender.

Section 3: Implementation
This bill will take place effective immediately

Occupying: Slot 6 of 10
Sponsor: Christian Man
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 07:09:35 PM »

Amendment:

Worker Improvement Act

A. It will be illegal for workers in Lincoln to be scheduled to work greater than 6 days a week or to be called in to work if they have already worked 6 days that week.
B. Workers will be entitled to a minimum of 60 days combined of vacation and sick pay that is accumulated every year. Those who retire with unused time will receive a day's wage for each unused day.
C. Employers must provide a minimum of 1 year of full paid maternity parental leave. Up to 10 years is permitted, although they will not receive it in full. For example, someone that requests 5 years off will only receive 20% of pay for that period. Fathers are normally entitled to half of the time off (up to 6 months fully paid), although single fathers are entitled for maternity leave benefits. Parental leave may be given in full to an individual who makes the least amount of money out of them and their spouse, regardless of gender; the individual in a relationship who makes more than their spouse will be entitled to half of the time off (up to 6 months fully paid). Single parents will also be entitled to parental leave. Married or taken men who file for divorce or break up with their girlfriend/wife will not be eligible for full services unless there is proof of abuse or adultery. This is to prevent a loophole that would have incentivized fathers to become single to get more money. Single fathers who enter into a relationship on full benefits will not lose them.
D. Any individual in a same-sex relationship that makes the least amount of money will be eligible for maternity leave regardless of gender.

The amendment changes the way the parental leave provided by this bill works, so that the individual in a relationship who makes less money than their spouse can receive it, regardless of gender. It also eliminates Section II Provision 'D', as it is rendered redundant by the amendment.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 02:32:29 PM »

Amendment:

Worker Improvement Act

C. Employers must provide a minimum of 1 year of full paid maternity parental leave. Up to 10 years is permitted, although they will not receive it in full. For example, someone that requests 5 years off will only receive 20% of pay for that period. Fathers are normally entitled to half of the time off (up to 6 months fully paid), although single fathers are entitled for maternity leave benefits. Parental leave may be given in full to an individual who makes the least amount of money out of them and their spouse, regardless of gender; the individual in a relationship who makes more than their spouse will be entitled to half of the time off (up to 6 months fully paid). Single parents will also be entitled to parental leave. Married or taken men who file for divorce or break up with their girlfriend/wife will not be eligible for full services unless there is proof of abuse or adultery. This is to prevent a loophole that would have incentivized fathers to become single to get more money. Single fathers who enter into a relationship on full benefits will not lose them.

The amendment changes the way the parental leave provided by this bill works, so that the individual in a relationship who makes less money than their spouse can receive it, regardless of gender. It also eliminates Section II Provision 'D', as it is rendered redundant by the amendment.

Perfect
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 09:47:06 PM »

The ZMUN amendment is adopted.
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2023, 12:09:26 PM »

Motioning for a final vote.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 11:57:53 AM »

Speaker ZMUN, I respectfully object to the final vote proceeding.

I request additional time be administered for discussion and debate.

It may be more functional to address Section II-A with an amendment to LGC 11.9. Also, regarding vacation and sick time, I would ask that we separate these two into separate line items of the bill. Furthermore, we should specify that vacation time cannot be taken until a set amount of time after hiring to deter exploiting this provision.
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 03:35:46 PM »

A vote on the objection has been initiated. Vote AYE to proceed to a final vote, and NAY to delay it for debate.

Nay
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2023, 04:40:41 PM »

Aye
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2023, 08:39:57 PM »

Aye
nerd73
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -7.83

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2023, 09:07:43 PM »

Nay
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2023, 10:08:03 PM »

Nay
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2023, 12:24:43 AM »

The final vote has been delayed.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2023, 10:37:11 PM »

I propose the following amendment to address my concerns as previously outlined:

Worker Improvement Act

Section I. Title

A. This bill will be introduced known as the Worker Improvement Act

A. LGC 11.9 30 Hour Work Week Act shall be amended as follows.

Section II - 30 Hour Work Week
1. Employers must offer to full-time workers a 30-hour work week with wage or salary retention.
a. It shall not be permissible to demote full-time workers to half-time, or less than half-time, without signed consent from the worker.
b. Employers may not penalize or eliminate benefits to full-time workers engaging in the 30-hour work week.

Section III - Defining the Work Schedule
1. Employers must offer to full-time workers a flexible work week composed of 30 hours.
a. Work days must contain a minimum of 3 hours, and a maximum of 8 hours.
b. Work days containing 6 or more hours must contain one lunch break period.
c. Work days containing at least 3 hours must contain two 15-minute break periods.

2. Employers must offer to all workers -
a. A minimum of 14 hours between work performances or shifts.
b. A minimum of one day off per work week.
c. Overtime pay at the rate of 150% for all hours worked beyond 7 hours.
i. Overtime must be voluntary in all cases.
d. The option to disconnect, or power off, work-related electronic devices when outside of working hours.

B. Full-time workers concurrently employed for at least six months will be entitled to a minimum of 14 paid vacation days and 10 paid sick days per calendar year. Unused paid vacation time may be accumulated into the following calendar year. For waged workers, the rate of pay for either vacation or sick time must be equivalent to the agreed-upon working wage.

C. Employers must provide a minimum of 1 year of full paid parental leave to all workers.
1. Up to 10 years is permitted, although beneficiaries they may not receive it in full.
a. Extended parental leave will be paid on a sliding scale. For example, workers who request someone that requests 5 years off may will only receive 20% of pay for that period.
2.Parental leave may be given in full to an individual who has a lower taxable income than their spouse, regardless of gender. makes the least amount of money out of them and their spouse, The individual who has a higher taxable income than their spouse in a relationship who makes more than their spouse will be entitled to half of the time off (up to 6 months fully paid).
3. Single parents will also be entitled to parental leave. Married or taken men who file for divorce or break up with their girlfriend/wife will not be eligible for parental leave full services unless there is proof of abuse or adultery is found. This is to disincentivize fraud. prevent a loophole that would have incentivized fathers to become single to get more money. Single fathers who enter into a relationship on full benefits will not lose them.

A. This legislation shall take effect on September 1st, 2023

This bill will take place effective immediately.

This amendment accomplished a number of objectives. First, it concisely amends LGC 11.9 to adjust some of its language while adding Section III-2b to mandate the 6-day work week. I have modified the vacation and sick time to prevent adverse effects, and additionally altered/clarified some of the parental leave section.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2023, 11:20:34 PM »

I should mention we could certainly discuss increasing the amount of available vacation days.
Anything from 14 to 30 is reasonable for a mandatory minimum for large employers, in my view.
We could also add more regarding paid personal time and unpaid sick time.
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2023, 03:36:15 PM »

I propose the following amendment to address my concerns as previously outlined:

Worker Improvement Act

Section I. Title

A. This bill will be introduced known as the Worker Improvement Act

1. Employers must offer to full-time workers a 30-hour work week with wage or salary retention.
a. It shall not be permissible to demote full-time workers to half-time, or less than half-time, without signed consent from the worker.
b. Employers may not penalize or eliminate benefits to full-time workers engaging in the 30-hour work week.

1. Employers must offer to full-time workers a flexible work week composed of 30 hours.
c. Work days containing at least 3 hours must contain two 15-minute break periods.

d. The option to disconnect, or power off, work-related electronic devices when outside of working hours.

B. Full-time workers concurrently employed for at least six months will be entitled to a minimum of 14 paid vacation days and 10 paid sick days per calendar year. Unused paid vacation time may be accumulated into the following calendar year. For waged workers, the rate of pay for either vacation or sick time must be equivalent to the agreed-upon working wage.

C. Employers must provide a minimum of 1 year of full paid parental leave to all workers.
1. Up to 10 years is permitted, although beneficiaries they may not receive it in full.
a. Extended parental leave will be paid on a sliding scale. For example, workers who request someone that requests 5 years off may will only receive 20% of pay for that period.
2.Parental leave may be given in full to an individual who has a lower taxable income than their spouse, regardless of gender. makes the least amount of money out of them and their spouse, The individual who has a higher taxable income than their spouse in a relationship who makes more than their spouse will be entitled to half of the time off (up to 6 months fully paid).
3. Single parents will also be entitled to parental leave. Married or taken men who file for divorce or break up with their girlfriend/wife will not be eligible for parental leave full services unless there is proof of abuse or adultery is found. This is to disincentivize fraud. prevent a loophole that would have incentivized fathers to become single to get more money. Single fathers who enter into a relationship on full benefits will not lose them.

This bill will take place effective immediately.

This amendment accomplished a number of objectives. First, it concisely amends LGC 11.9 to adjust some of its language while adding Section III-2b to mandate the 6-day work week. I have modified the vacation and sick time to prevent adverse effects, and additionally altered/clarified some of the parental leave section.

I agree to the changes
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2023, 03:37:42 PM »

I should mention we could certainly discuss increasing the amount of available vacation days.
Anything from 14 to 30 is reasonable for a mandatory minimum for large employers, in my view.
We could also add more regarding paid personal time and unpaid sick time.
I'd be open to that as well as changes regarding unpaid sick time. I had it at retirement but I am open to allowing some or all of that money to be used up if an employee quits their job and has some left over or possibly into some type of savings account that could be used at their next job if they have used up all of their sick time.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2023, 09:52:35 PM »

I propose the following, additional amendment:

Worker Improvement Act

Section I. Title

A. This bill will be introduced as the Worker Improvement Act

B. Full-time workers concurrently employed for at least six months will be entitled to a minimum of -
1. 24 14 paid vacation days per calendar year.
2. 14 10 paid sick days per calendar year.
a. The above allocated sick time shall be extended in the case that a region or state-approved medical expert has confirmed an inability to work.
3. 7 paid personal days per calendar year.
4. Unused paid time may be accumulated into the following calendar year.
5. The amount paid for vacation, personal, and sick time shall be based on the worker's salary or wage from the previous three months.
For waged workers, the rate of pay for either vacation or sick time must be equivalent to the agreed-upon working wage.

C. All workers concurrently employed for at least six months will be entitled to a minimum of -
1. 7 paid vacation days per calendar year.
2. 5 paid sick days per calendar year.
a. The above allocated sick time shall be extended in the case that a region or state-approved medical expert has confirmed an inability to work.
3. 3 paid personal days per calendar year.
4. Unused paid time may be accumulated into the following calendar year.
5. The amount paid for vacation, personal, and sick time shall be based on the worker's salary or wage from the previous three months.

D C. Employers must provide a minimum of 1 year of full paid parental leave to all workers.
1. Up to 10 years is permitted, although beneficiaries may not receive it in full.
a. Extended parental leave will be paid on a sliding scale. For example, workers who request 5 years off may only receive 20% of pay for that period.
2. Parental leave may be given in full to an individual who has a lower taxable income than their spouse, regardless of gender. The individual who has a higher taxable income than their spouse will be entitled to half of the time off (up to 6 months fully paid).
3. Single parents will also be entitled to parental leave. Married men who file for divorce will not be eligible for parental leave unless proof of abuse or adultery is found. This is to disincentivize fraud. Single fathers who enter into a relationship on full benefits will not lose them.

Section III: Violations

A. Employers found in violation of the Worker Improvement Act, or of the 30 Hour Work Week Act, shall be fined $50,000 per violation and may be subject to additional penalties pending an investigation by the Lincoln Department of Labor.

Section IV 3: Implementation

This updated amendment adds a provision to the sick time clause, adds personal time, includes a violation provision, and provides benefits for other categories of workers.
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2023, 11:01:07 PM »

The first Pyro amendment is adopted.
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2023, 10:14:25 PM »

The second Pyro amendment is adopted.

Motioning for a final vote.
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2023, 02:38:20 AM »

A final vote on this bill has been initiated.

Aye
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2023, 09:48:53 AM »

Aye
Pyro