NJ-SEN 2024: Draggin' The Line (3/24: Murphy OUT)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 08:26:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NJ-SEN 2024: Draggin' The Line (3/24: Murphy OUT)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 44
Author Topic: NJ-SEN 2024: Draggin' The Line (3/24: Murphy OUT)  (Read 43865 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: February 26, 2024, 03:16:01 PM »

I don't really have anything against Tammy Murphy herself, but using corrupt antiquated mechanisms to distort the playing field is pretty awful. If she felt she was the best candidate, she should have disavowed the machine elements and called for a fair process. Andy Kim is awesome though. I see so many places offer the worst of America, but sending Andy Kim to the Senate offers some of the very best.

I don't even know exactly what this county line thing is (apart from a strange-looking ballot), but it needs to be abolished or struck down.

There's federal litigation challenging the Line rn: Conforti v. Hanlon, filed by several losing 2020 primary candidates & the NJWFP, survived the motion to dismiss & remains pending in discovery now nearly 44 months after it was initially filed, but unfortunately isn't on-track for trial in Judge Quraishi's courtroom anytime soon, let alone by this year's Jun. 4th primary.

First link is broken

Fixed, thx!
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #651 on: February 26, 2024, 03:16:17 PM »

I don't really have anything against Tammy Murphy herself, but using corrupt antiquated mechanisms to distort the playing field is pretty awful. If she felt she was the best candidate, she should have disavowed the machine elements and called for a fair process. Andy Kim is awesome though. I see so many places offer the worst of America, but sending Andy Kim to the Senate offers some of the very best.

I don't even know exactly what this county line thing is (apart from a strange-looking ballot), but it needs to be abolished or struck down.

There's federal litigation challenging the Line rn: Conforti v. Hanlon, filed by several losing 2020 primary candidates & the NJWFP, survived the motion to dismiss & remains pending in discovery now nearly 44 months after it was initially filed, but unfortunately isn't on-track for trial in Judge Quraishi's courtroom anytime soon, let alone by this year's Jun. 4th primary.

First link is broken

Fixed, thx!

You’re welcome
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #652 on: February 26, 2024, 07:19:39 PM »

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #653 on: February 27, 2024, 12:54:39 AM »

Really wasn't expecting the bitterness of this primary.
Here's to hoping that there's less collateral damage and not more.
In general Tammy Murphy trying to win the primary off just the County Line alone is not the best thing to see.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #654 on: February 27, 2024, 04:32:11 AM »

The county line system gives NJ among the better and less polarized state legislatures in the country. It'd be a shame to see it go.
If indifference to corruption counts as better, sure.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #655 on: February 27, 2024, 04:45:13 AM »

The county line system gives NJ among the better and less polarized state legislatures in the country. It'd be a shame to see it go.
Machine politics is in fact an effective way to shave off the worst edges of hyper-ideologicalized politics. It's generally an important element in a functional political system.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #656 on: February 27, 2024, 06:30:15 AM »

I mean the "original sin" as it were for the County Line system is that it's not free or fair in the largest and most democratic counties. We have seen throughout the week that if a endorsement is open to a convention, the whole thing becomes a glorified presidential caucus. Candidates are doing normal campaign stuff, just indirectly. But there's a cycle of corruption that occurs in the big counties. A handful of insiders control the line where it matters most, allowing them to pick candidates,  meaning those candidates when they win repay the local elites and entrench elite power, and on and on it goes.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #657 on: February 27, 2024, 11:36:25 AM »

It's refreshing to see that voters seem to be pushing back on Tammy's schtick. I go back to again: Tammy and the Murphy's are not popular enough for her to just win the primary based on her name, and given that Andy Kim is an actual representative while she has no actual experience, it's not surprising to see voters seeing right through her act. She also doesn't seem trustworthy at all, given that she just seems to be on the side of whatever she thinks is popular among the base.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #658 on: February 27, 2024, 01:17:27 PM »

Machine politics is in fact an effective way to shave off the worst edges of hyper-ideologicalized politics. It's generally an important element in a functional political system.

While that's quite an interesting way to put lipstick on a pig, political machines are simply cronyism and patronage by a different name. The county line system's continued existence is mere evidence of complacency from an unengaged and cynical electorate.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #659 on: February 27, 2024, 02:22:01 PM »

I would not share such a negative view towards political machines. If anything the delivering of things to communities is plainly more concrete of a way to proceed than an amorphous ideology-based qualification. There's nothing "cynical" about supporting someone because they've fixed a school or a road in your community. And those are tangible things. Wouldn't it be more cynical to use ideological purism as a way to climb the ladder?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #660 on: February 27, 2024, 03:30:07 PM »

In general Tammy Murphy trying to win the primary off just the County Line alone is not the best thing to see.

I guess the bitterness comes from Murphy believing she was entitled to the be the Democratic candidate as the governor's wife with a lot of financial ressources and institutional backing. Yet Kim seems to have connected with Democratic voters and well beyond the progressive wing.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #661 on: February 27, 2024, 03:33:26 PM »

I guess the bitterness comes from Murphy believing she was entitled to the be the Democratic candidate as the governor's wife with a lot of financial ressources and institutional backing. Yet Kim seems to have connected with Democratic voters and well beyond the progressive wing.

This is it, 100%. I think Tammy thought she would skate through based off of her name and connections and is now getting annoyed that Kim actually is very well liked, not just among progressives but normie Dem voters.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #662 on: February 27, 2024, 04:05:04 PM »

This is it, 100%. I think Tammy thought she would skate through based off of her name and connections and is now getting annoyed that Kim actually is very well liked, not just among progressives but normie Dem voters.
The bitterness started more with Tammy, I'd agree. But now Kim is as fully in it as well. It's quite unfortunate but c'est la vie.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #663 on: February 27, 2024, 04:07:37 PM »

The bitterness started more with Tammy, I'd agree. But now Kim is as fully in it as well. It's quite unfortunate but c'est la vie.

I mean Kim's seems more just frustration with the system, which I completely get where he's coming from, especially when he's been winning voters in these conventions.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #664 on: February 27, 2024, 04:11:57 PM »

I mean Kim's seems more just frustration with the system, which I completely get where he's coming from, especially when he's been winning voters in these conventions.
Well, I'm not anti-system in an NJ context so I can't emphatize with him there.
In fact I endorsed him right out of the gate and I've dumped my endorsement of him because of this.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #665 on: February 27, 2024, 10:11:17 PM »

I think the backlash would be virtually non-existent if the establishment had coalesced around say, Mikie Sherrill, or some random state legislator. The fact that it's Murphy's wife, who has no political experience, really rubbed everyone the wrong way.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #666 on: February 27, 2024, 10:45:54 PM »

I think the backlash would be virtually non-existent if the establishment had coalesced around say, Mikie Sherrill, or some random state legislator. The fact that it's Murphy's wife, who has no political experience, really rubbed everyone the wrong way.

I think if Sherrill had ran Kim might have seen the writing on the wall and gone back to NJ-03.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #667 on: February 27, 2024, 11:41:05 PM »

Asian men are an underrepresented group in the senate and their invaluable voice needs to be heard via Kim, he needs to hit north jersey hard for desi and Asian votes
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #668 on: February 28, 2024, 08:09:11 AM »

I would not share such a negative view towards political machines. If anything the delivering of things to communities is plainly more concrete of a way to proceed than an amorphous ideology-based qualification. There's nothing "cynical" about supporting someone because they've fixed a school or a road in your community. And those are tangible things. Wouldn't it be more cynical to use ideological purism as a way to climb the ladder?

Me making things up
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #669 on: February 28, 2024, 11:27:23 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2024, 11:51:24 AM by President Pro Tem Punxsutawney Phil »

Me making things up
I'm sorry that you wasted 70 or so seconds of your life on a post that was, to put it kindly, utterly silly, and disrespects legitimate differences in political opinion.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #670 on: February 28, 2024, 12:06:20 PM »

Honestly I'm more convinced than ever that Murphy is going to lose this. She's just not a good candidate.

What she's saying here isn't even necessarily wrong - but saying it about the *Kushners* in particular is... nonsensical

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #671 on: February 28, 2024, 12:11:24 PM »

Uhhh...what? Good campaigns don't let this happen.

And in this case it's not a sign of dropping out, cause Tammy was at a big fundraiser and launched a new ad campaign yesterday.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #672 on: February 28, 2024, 12:12:51 PM »

It's wild that Tammy's campaign is such a mess given that she has access to presumably most of the Murphy/NJ machine
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #673 on: February 28, 2024, 12:33:40 PM »

That clip of her talking about the photo with Jared and Ivanka was just priceless. The panicked, stammering, nonsense response about PPE and reaching across the aisle...just wow. It's pretty shocking how unprepared and ill-equipped she is for a race that was going to be high stakes and closely watched because the incumbent Senator is currently under indictment. This was very clearly a power move and she expected no resistance on her way to the nomination.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #674 on: February 28, 2024, 02:59:34 PM »

Me making things up
I'm sorry that you wasted 70 or so seconds of your life on a post that was, to put it kindly, utterly silly, and disrespects legitimate differences in political opinion.

Your defense of New Jersey political culture is totally in theory and doesn’t actually deal with what the results in the state government actually look like. The legislature’s historically been on the more dysfunctional side (the state’s had two shutdowns this century + a lot of near misses), some of the highest corruption in the US, and among the worst public finances of any state. Not really sure what about it (and other states with similarly corrupt and machine-heavy  political cultures) makes it good.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 44  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies