NJ-SEN 2024: Draggin' The Line (3/24: Murphy OUT)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 08:24:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NJ-SEN 2024: Draggin' The Line (3/24: Murphy OUT)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 44
Author Topic: NJ-SEN 2024: Draggin' The Line (3/24: Murphy OUT)  (Read 43864 times)
kwabbit

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: January 25, 2024, 09:13:38 AM »

This is definitely a revenge move by Malinowski for sacrificing him in 2022, but he could help Kim get the line in Hunterdon and Somerset. Looking back, I don't think he was a bad candidate at all. The stock trading scandal was pretty minor and isn't the smoking gun of a serious ethics issue. Kean was just an usually strong challenger, having a durable reputation as a moderate as State Senate minority leader and son of the governor.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #551 on: January 25, 2024, 09:15:59 AM »

Hmmm.. I truly think some of this stuff will backfire on Tammy in the end.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #552 on: January 25, 2024, 10:17:01 AM »

This is definitely a revenge move by Malinowski for sacrificing him in 2022, but he could help Kim get the line in Hunterdon and Somerset. Looking back, I don't think he was a bad candidate at all. The stock trading scandal was pretty minor and isn't the smoking gun of a serious ethics issue. Kean was just an usually strong challenger, having a durable reputation as a moderate as State Senate minority leader and son of the governor.

Couldn't Malionwski intend to run for governor as well? Imagine if Kim actually wins and endorses him back. That might help.
kwabbit

« Reply #553 on: January 25, 2024, 12:49:46 PM »

Couldn't Malionwski intend to run for governor as well? Imagine if Kim actually wins and endorses him back. That might help.

He could be intending to run for governor, but Mike Sherrill will have most of the institutional support of Tammy Murphy without any of the baggage.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #554 on: January 25, 2024, 03:41:36 PM »

He could be intending to run for governor, but Mike Sherrill will have most of the institutional support of Tammy Murphy without any of the baggage.

Yeah if it was Sherrill running for Senate instead of Murphy this primary would be long over.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #555 on: January 26, 2024, 11:25:24 AM »

Off topic, but are there any Republican parties that are run by "machine" politics?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #556 on: January 26, 2024, 11:42:22 AM »

Off topic, but are there any Republican parties that are run by "machine" politics?

Yes DeSantis and Abbott machine control TX and FL Ds do best in states outside of FL and TX , OH, KY, KS  MT, AZ and GA and Rust belt aren't TX and FL
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #557 on: January 26, 2024, 11:50:14 AM »

Traditionally Nassau County, NY and Delaware County, PA. The former is still going strong for the most part, but the latter has been almost entirely wiped out.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #558 on: January 26, 2024, 11:59:55 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2024, 12:04:43 PM by PHARAOH BAKARI SELLERS »

It's machine politics because unbroken chain of Rick Perry and R Govs in both TX and FL that's what Machine politics is unbroken chain of 1 party rule, as of now ALLRED still loses by 3 to Cruz

Forum Atlas put too much infersis on Stein and ALLRED we should be donating to Gallego, Brown and Tester

If Jeff Jackson and Busse loses as expected they will run against Tillis and Daines , Collins is vulnerable but she is a moderate and can beat the odds
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #559 on: January 31, 2024, 07:21:32 PM »

Traditionally Nassau County, NY and Delaware County, PA. The former is still going strong for the most part, but the latter has been almost entirely wiped out.

Morris County had a Republican machine up until recently, too.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #560 on: January 31, 2024, 10:39:06 PM »

Anecdotal but all the family I have in NJ seem to be leaning for Kim; they're relatively normie Dems and while they don't personally have anything against Murphy, they just don't like the idea of sending the Governor's wife to Congress. This is mainly in the Jersey City area - Kim seems to be in a good place.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #561 on: February 01, 2024, 12:22:35 AM »

Sounds about right. I don't think this primary is as Safe Murphy as some people think

Who thinks that the primary is Safe Murphy? Most polls show Kim leading by a healthy margin, and the consensus on the ground is that Kim will win.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #562 on: February 01, 2024, 12:33:12 AM »

Sounds about right. I don't think this primary is as Safe Murphy as some people think

Who thinks that the primary is Safe Murphy? Most polls show Kim leading by a healthy margin, and the consensus on the ground is that Kim will win.

There have only been something like two polls and they were both Kim internals.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #563 on: February 01, 2024, 12:56:55 AM »

Didn’t see it posted but Murphy is massively outraising Kim. That’s not a surprise though, and his grassroots support has me encouraged enough to keep the door open for a Kim victory.

They both have $2.7 mill COH at the end of the 4th Q.

Maybe I'm just naive about the power of the machine and the fabled line but to me Kim looks to be a solid favorite. The Governor's wife getting the backing of the powerful pols who have to deal with the Governor is just a terrible look and I honestly think it will backfire. I rarely donate money to a candidate until after the primary but I may make an exception for Kim.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #564 on: February 01, 2024, 09:24:12 AM »
« Edited: February 01, 2024, 09:31:04 AM by Oryxslayer »

Didn’t see it posted but Murphy is massively outraising Kim. That’s not a surprise though, and his grassroots support has me encouraged enough to keep the door open for a Kim victory.

They both have $2.7 mill COH at the end of the 4th Q.

Maybe I'm just naive about the power of the machine and the fabled line but to me Kim looks to be a solid favorite. The Governor's wife getting the backing of the powerful pols who have to deal with the Governor is just a terrible look and I honestly think it will backfire. I rarely donate money to a candidate until after the primary but I may make an exception for Kim.

On the topic of this money: almost everything for Murphy came from big NJDP party donors, whereas over 90% of Kim's came from small donations. That type of polarization says something,  especially when the small donor candidate isn't a progressive who expects that type of fundraising.

Meanwhile,  Menendez is getting F'ed by the donors,  but we all knew that:

cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #565 on: February 01, 2024, 12:56:02 PM »

Anecdotal but all the family I have in NJ seem to be leaning for Kim; they're relatively normie Dems and while they don't personally have anything against Murphy, they just don't like the idea of sending the Governor's wife to Congress. This is mainly in the Jersey City area - Kim seems to be in a good place.

This is basically how I feel, minus the Jersey City part.
CityofSinners
Rookie

« Reply #566 on: February 02, 2024, 06:51:50 AM »

Should we assume that Murphy will overperform polls because of her county line advantage? Can't really replicate the ballot design during a poll.
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #567 on: February 02, 2024, 07:45:04 AM »

I wouldn’t assume anything right now. On paper you would think Murphy has the advantage, but Kim has the electoral experience.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #568 on: February 02, 2024, 09:08:45 AM »

Should we assume that Murphy will overperform polls because of her county line advantage? Can't really replicate the ballot design during a poll.

I assume you are referring to this, the first public poll of the race? The only thing than one can say for certain is that Campos-Medina is likely overpolled, since their campaign lacks any money or presence,  something that will become more apparent with time:.

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #569 on: February 02, 2024, 10:55:12 AM »

Are blacks and Latinos going with Murphy because she is considered the establishment choice?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #570 on: February 02, 2024, 11:28:43 AM »

Are blacks and Latinos going with Murphy because she is considered the establishment choice?

There's no easy way to say this...low income city voters, most often but not always people of color,  are the people who are considered inside the machine.  It's a lot less open than in the days of say Tammany, but people wouldn't see the value in machine politics if they didn't see some benefit.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #571 on: February 02, 2024, 02:59:22 PM »

There's no easy way to say this...low income city voters, most often but not always people of color,  are the people who are considered inside the machine.  It's a lot less open than in the days of say Tammany, but people wouldn't see the value in machine politics if they didn't see some benefit.

That's how machines always were and especially in their golden age. Basically politics as transactional patron/client relationships rather than politics as ideology, which the higher educated reformers valued. Usually the machines beat the reformers by offering more practical benefits to people's lives than the clean government reformers could offer. Machines declined when they couldn't do that anymore.

The oldest cliche about machine politics is an old Boss dying and all the well educated people reading editorials about how he was a giant crook who embezzled millions while his funeral is well attended by common folk sobbing about how he was the soul of generosity and the greatest man to ever live. "He paid for my daughter's wedding" "He found me a new place to live when my apartment complex burned down" etc.

Modern machines don't have anywhere near the power to do stuff like that so they're automatically far weaker than the old fashioned kind.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #572 on: February 03, 2024, 02:37:12 AM »

But what kind of benefit do they or their communities get from supporting the machine over a reformist canidate ?
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #573 on: February 03, 2024, 02:42:29 AM »

There’s plenty of pastors around where I lived that basically directed their churchgoers to vote a certain way, but that’s a bit of an informal machine, since it wasn’t coordinated with the party or each other.
kyc0705

« Reply #574 on: February 05, 2024, 07:20:56 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2024, 07:28:13 PM by kyc0705 »

Got some kind of sponsored poll for the Murphy campaign today, in which they tested out various lines of attack against Kim. They are trying to paint Kim as a DINO/Republican, which is very funny when considering which candidate in this primary was literally a registered Republican for decades.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 44  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies