NJ-SEN 2024: Draggin' The Line (3/24: Murphy OUT)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:47:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NJ-SEN 2024: Draggin' The Line (3/24: Murphy OUT)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 41
Author Topic: NJ-SEN 2024: Draggin' The Line (3/24: Murphy OUT)  (Read 40528 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: September 30, 2023, 06:13:43 PM »

Kim has the ability to fundraise on being the anti-Menendez and hasn’t yet gotten his name out, so it’s hard to see this as a sign of voter support, and the Murphys can spend millions faster than he can raise it.

This is great news but I’m continuing to caution against your fantasies since they’re based on having no idea who Tammy Murphy is. (Gottheimer also won’t be intimidated by this.)

Why are you so sure Murphy is going to win?
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #376 on: September 30, 2023, 06:43:18 PM »

So funny to see Jeff Van Drew attempting to grift his way to higher office representing two political parties within 5 years.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #377 on: October 01, 2023, 08:43:12 AM »

Hopefully Kim can combine the southern county lines with Northern progressives and resist libs.
kwabbit

« Reply #378 on: October 01, 2023, 12:24:13 PM »

Kim has the ability to fundraise on being the anti-Menendez and hasn’t yet gotten his name out, so it’s hard to see this as a sign of voter support, and the Murphys can spend millions faster than he can raise it.

This is great news but I’m continuing to caution against your fantasies since they’re based on having no idea who Tammy Murphy is. (Gottheimer also won’t be intimidated by this.)

She’ll have unlimited money and the support of the governor. That could be enough to sway some Northern county parties. Kim having a good first week and raising a million doesn’t mean that much IMO. A competitive primary would cost a lot more than that and it’ll be a long time before the counties decide their slates. I foresee a bimodal distribution of outcomes. The first is that Tammy Murphy launches and completely flops as she is viewed as unqualified and only there since her husband is gov, or she launches and is immediately competitive, at which point most of the North Jersey county parties coalesce behind her and she wins clearly.  I don’t see a 50-35 Kim-Murphy scenario as particularly likely.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #379 on: October 01, 2023, 04:42:39 PM »

She’ll have unlimited money and the support of the governor. That could be enough to sway some Northern county parties. Kim having a good first week and raising a million doesn’t mean that much IMO. A competitive primary would cost a lot more than that and it’ll be a long time before the counties decide their slates. I foresee a bimodal distribution of outcomes. The first is that Tammy Murphy launches and completely flops as she is viewed as unqualified and only there since her husband is gov, or she launches and is immediately competitive, at which point most of the North Jersey county parties coalesce behind her and she wins clearly.  I don’t see a 50-35 Kim-Murphy scenario as particularly likely.

I could see outcome 3 happen where Kim runs a really strong off the line campaign in North Jersey and runs roughly even with Murphy in white educated areas, while killing it in the south. White voters tend to be more persuadable and it’s generally voters of color who tend to stick with the county lines the most, and Menendez could cut into a lot of Murphy’s support there.
kwabbit

« Reply #380 on: October 01, 2023, 07:07:56 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2023, 07:13:33 PM by kwabbit »

She’ll have unlimited money and the support of the governor. That could be enough to sway some Northern county parties. Kim having a good first week and raising a million doesn’t mean that much IMO. A competitive primary would cost a lot more than that and it’ll be a long time before the counties decide their slates. I foresee a bimodal distribution of outcomes. The first is that Tammy Murphy launches and completely flops as she is viewed as unqualified and only there since her husband is gov, or she launches and is immediately competitive, at which point most of the North Jersey county parties coalesce behind her and she wins clearly.  I don’t see a 50-35 Kim-Murphy scenario as particularly likely.

I could see outcome 3 happen where Kim runs a really strong off the line campaign in North Jersey and runs roughly even with Murphy in white educated areas, while killing it in the south. White voters tend to be more persuadable and it’s generally voters of color who tend to stick with the county lines the most, and Menendez could cut into a lot of Murphy’s support there.

Hudson is only one of many large, diverse counties. Middlesex, Union, Bergen, Passaic, and Essex will not have minority voters in lockstep for Menendez. It’s not a sure thing that Menendez will even carry cities like Elizabeth, Perth Amboy, or Paterson. Any victory for him would have easy wins there but  Murphy could clean up against Kim in a Menendez collapse.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #381 on: October 01, 2023, 07:13:58 PM »

Hudson is only one of many large, diverse counties. Middlesex, Union, Bergen, Passaic, and Essex will not have minority voters in lockstep for Menendez. It’s not a sure thing that Menendez will even carry cities like Elizabeth, Perth Amboy, or Paterson. Any victory would but  Murphy could clean up.

I’m not saying he’d win those areas but he’d possibly siphon off small but significant chunks of voters who would otherwise go to Murphy, and that Kim would be competitive in the whiter areas of North Jersey even without the line.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #382 on: October 02, 2023, 08:37:44 AM »

Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #383 on: October 04, 2023, 11:23:25 AM »

Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #384 on: October 04, 2023, 02:17:49 PM »

*insert Atlas poster joke here*

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #385 on: October 04, 2023, 05:41:57 PM »

That's a good sign that he might not run again after all, even if he still serves the remainder of his term. It's probably the best we can hope for.

*insert Atlas poster joke here*

Yikes! This certainly makes things tougher for these two.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #386 on: October 05, 2023, 08:42:03 AM »
« Edited: October 05, 2023, 10:08:08 AM by Oryxslayer »

First primary poll alert! Unsurprisingly,  Menendez has a awful approval. Kim easily defeats him in the Two-Way, and Murphy in the three way. Murphys though best described as unknown so the data on the 3-way is less obvious. But the poll was probably released to dissuade her. The same though could also be said of Kim who has around 40% of the electorate not know who he is (likely concentrated in north jersey) with <10% of democrats disappointed in his service.

Also in this article,  Pallone takes himself off the table, and Sherrill and Gottheimer are 100% running for Gov. Which in theory makes the 3-way the most likely outcome until Murphy says anything.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #387 on: October 05, 2023, 08:46:27 AM »

Although vastly different circumstances, I'm getting Cuomo vibes. Some people just don't understand when it's time to go.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #388 on: October 05, 2023, 09:01:48 AM »

Very glad to see Menendez flopping so badly even in a 3-way. However, still no reason for Murphy to get in. Just let it be Kim at this point.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #389 on: October 05, 2023, 10:25:11 AM »

So I guess there is a difference between the Democratic and the Republican party.
In the Democratic party getting indicted doesn't help you win a primary.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #390 on: October 05, 2023, 01:22:03 PM »

Shoutout to the 5% of Democrats who are Menendez-Murphy voters.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #391 on: October 05, 2023, 02:43:02 PM »

Second poll today on to primary.  78% of democrats say Menendez should resign. Unlike the previous poll, the multi-battery selection is not very helpful, since 3 named options are not going to enter the race. Does help show Menendez can't win even if the field gets crowded.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #392 on: October 05, 2023, 05:47:46 PM »

6%?Huh Holy crap he's cooked.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #393 on: October 05, 2023, 06:04:39 PM »

Yeah, I think Kim has this. He was very wise to announce as soon as he did.

Now the big question will be whether Menendez wants to spare himself the humiliation of losing the primary or staying in the Senate while the bad news continues compounding for him and his wife.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #394 on: October 05, 2023, 06:42:40 PM »

Great poll for Kim. He has a real shot at clearing the field.
SilverStar
Rookie
« Reply #395 on: October 05, 2023, 11:33:02 PM »

Menendez should get 0% in the primary
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #396 on: October 12, 2023, 11:15:35 AM »

This man needs to resign.

patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #397 on: October 12, 2023, 01:43:31 PM »

Incredible. Unregistered Egyptian foreign agent.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1712503547940499479
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #398 on: October 30, 2023, 09:36:29 AM »

Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #399 on: October 30, 2023, 09:45:35 AM »
« Edited: October 30, 2023, 09:50:15 AM by Senator Incitatus »

Tammy Murphy plans to file her exploratory committee this week.

This is still early enough for me (as one rooting for Kim) to consider it tilt Murphy. Kim's sole poll against her is (as noted) impressive, as is his early fundraising total, but absent anything else in the intervening weeks and given the incredible hold the Murphys have over the state party and fundraising apparatus (at least in North Jersey, where the bulk of votes are), they can easily make up the ground by next June. I also don't expect she'd be getting in if she hadn't already had sufficient conversations with the North Jersey bosses like Jones and DiVincenzo and popular figures like Sherrill.

It should be noted that the proxy campaign is already underway between Kim and Murphy—SOMA Action, the progressive group behind the ban on Halloween in Maplewood and South Orange, has put out a ranked-choice ballot for members to define their endorsement. Leadership is squarely for Kim, possibly in retaliation for Governor Murphy's criticism of the Halloween ban, but they've received some backlash for playing politics and running this vote far, far too early in an effort to rig the result.

Kim did hire a highly qualified campaign manager with national connections recently. I expect this to go the distance.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies