AZ-SEN 2024: Away we Gallego (3/5 - Sinema OUT) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:15:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AZ-SEN 2024: Away we Gallego (3/5 - Sinema OUT) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AZ-SEN 2024: Away we Gallego (3/5 - Sinema OUT)  (Read 52875 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: November 21, 2022, 07:35:56 AM »

I’m all for primarying Sinema but there’s no guarantee we keep the seat if we run Gallego or whoever defeats Sinema. If a crazy is nominated we are definitely favored but if not it’s easy to imagine Gallego being defined as extreme and losing, especially if Biden loses the state.

Sure, but Sinema is a far weaker candidate than Gallego.  Gallego, Stanton, or really just about any serious candidate would have a better shot in the GE than Sinema, plus if they win then we’d get an actual Democrat in the seat instead of a Republican.  I mean, Sinema is a Republican in a state where an actual Democrat can win (see: Mark Kelly x2, Fontes, Hobbs x2, Hoffman in ‘18, and Mayes) that alone is reason enough to primary her.
You keep using that word. It does not mean what you think it means.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 11:32:36 AM »

I think people on this forum are all underestimating Sinema. 2 years in politics is super long.

The crazy thing is too that Sinema doesn't need to be this way. She can still do the whole "bipartisan work is important, etc." without being so off-putting to Dems. Mark Kelly just won by 5 points by still maintaining the "independent" mantle despite voting with Dems nearly all of the time. Arizona clearly doesn't have a problem with it. She's just making things worse for herself. But yeah, she can still turn this around if she stops being so obstructionist.

I do wonder about her involvement this year. I wonder if it was more of her not caring at all to help, or if they thought she'd be more of a hinderance? It does speak volumes though that she couldn't at least tweet a few times for Hobbs/Kelly or something. She didn't need to be by their side the whole time, but the fact that she did *nothing* it seems is pretty striking, and kinda shows that she's still refusing to be a team player.
How much is she fundraising behind the scenes? I thought I heard she's a prolific fundraiser for Democratic campaign committees, and that's part of why Schumer still stands, unflinchingly, by her.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 12:05:59 PM »

Sinema was a good senator. She stood up for the institution of the Senate and for measured policy and gave needed votes to Biden's judicial nominees and most of his general policies.
She will be missed.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 12:16:36 PM »

Sinema was a good senator. She stood up for the institution of the Senate and for measured policy and gave needed votes to Biden's judicial nominees and most of his general policies.
She will be missed.
She, along with Manchin, killed Build Back Better

Parts of BBB not passing was a benefit to us in the long term actually. Though I don't think 100% of what Sinema did was necessary, I wouldn't go that far.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2024, 03:21:57 PM »

The Arizona House has just voted to repeal the 1864 abortion ban.  This still needs to be passed by the Senate (which is likely) and signed by Gov. Hobbs (which is certain).
Should this law be repealed, what will replace it?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2024, 04:17:48 PM »

The Arizona House has just voted to repeal the 1864 abortion ban.  This still needs to be passed by the Senate (which is likely) and signed by Gov. Hobbs (which is certain).
Should this law be repealed, what will replace it?

If the 1864 law is repealed, my understanding is the 15 week limit passed in 2022 would go into effect.
Splendid.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies