AZ-SEN 2024: Away we Gallego (3/5 - Sinema OUT)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:54:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AZ-SEN 2024: Away we Gallego (3/5 - Sinema OUT)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 41
Author Topic: AZ-SEN 2024: Away we Gallego (3/5 - Sinema OUT)  (Read 48231 times)
Dani Rose
danixander92
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2022, 09:18:59 PM »

I wonder who the GOP nominates in 2024.

This will be competitive if the GOP nominates someone sane, and that's a big if.

Top-tier recruits would be Juan Ciscomani (if he doesn't make lots of mistakes in his first term), Doug Ducey, Kimberly Yee, Mark Brnovich, or even Karrin Taylor Robson.

Mid-tier recruits would be Andy Biggs, Debbie Lesko, or David Schweikert.

Bottom-tier would be Mark Finchem, Paul Gosar, Wendy Rogers, or Kelli Ward.

I hope they choose from the third group.

I fully expect someone promising from their hobbled GOP establishment to run and promptly get taken out by Wendy Rogers. I especially see it if the establishment candidate is Ciscomani, given that...well, I'll just leave it at diplomatically suggesting that Rogers, given her beliefs and political alliances, wouldn't be especially fond of someone like him.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2022, 12:42:19 AM »

I wonder who the Republicans run. David Schweikert? Andy Biggs?

Kelli Ward, Kari Lake, or Peter Thiel’s newest twink.  Maybe Charlie Kirk runs.

Schweikert can barely win his own district’s primary, let alone a statewide one.

Tbh, the Ducey wing will probably try to get Ciscomani to run. He checks off a lot of boxes and isn’t crazy.

And risk the House seat in an extremely narrow House that both Kelly and likely Hobbs won?

AZGOP isn't the smartest.

When the neofascists send their people, they're not sending their best
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2022, 12:59:46 AM »

Schweikert can barely win his own district’s primary, let alone a statewide one.

Tbh, the Ducey wing will probably try to get Ciscomani to run. He checks off a lot of boxes and isn’t crazy.

And risk the House seat in an extremely narrow House that both Kelly and likely Hobbs won?

So was John McCain single-handedly holding the state party together or something?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2022, 04:17:19 AM »

So was John McCain single-handedly holding the state party together or something?

He was pro Environment most of these Rs running are pro fossil fuels but Ducey was a centrist that's why Ducey and McCain won coincidence the only Eday that Trump won was 2016 when McCain was on the ballot
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2022, 05:27:28 PM »

Yay, she's doubling down on Sinema(nchin)ism, so Gallego may actually get to beat her 75-25 now:

Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2022, 05:49:41 PM »

Please primary out Sinema with Gallego and give the GOP another chance to win a senate seat in Arizona.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2022, 05:56:54 PM »

Please primary out Sinema with Gallego and give the GOP another chance to win a senate seat in Arizona.
Do we know the Arizona GOP nominates someone mildly electable? To me it seems like Andy Biggs, Kari Lake or some new rando will be the nominee. None of the likely options seem electable.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2022, 06:01:59 PM »

"[A]nother chance" implies that the GOP has recently had an actual chance to win an AZ Senate seat, which hasn't been true since McCain last ran in 2016, & will remain untrue if/when y'all just nominate another kook like Lake or Ward. By all means, though, please do feel free to put up yet another kook against yet another solid Dem in Gallego.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2022, 07:53:18 PM »

Nah, you guys are gonna nominate another weirdo freak and Gallego will win.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2022, 07:54:55 PM »

Looks like it.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2022, 08:10:41 PM »

I think the smartest move for Sinema would be to switch parties.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2022, 08:11:59 PM »

Ruben Gallego sounds like he is prepping for a Sen run if the Senate ends up Tied we don't need obstruction Sinema blocking Voting Rights with a D H because Manchin was a gon on the Filibuster before Sinema blocked it

He said he is waiting til first of the ye but odds on Fav he is gonna primary her , we are too divided to have Sinema keep blocking Voting Rights
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2022, 08:13:27 PM »

She isn't switching parties she voted for KBJ she is D yeah you would love that and let obstructionist McConnell block Biden judges

Sinema and Manchin out KBJ in SCOTUS so Rs if they gained the Senate and if Breyer died McConnells didn't obstruction
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2022, 08:20:09 PM »

She isn't switching parties she voted for KBJ she is D yeah you would love that and let obstructionist McConnell block Biden judges

Sinema and Manchin out KBJ in SCOTUS so Rs if they gained the Senate and if Breyer died McConnells didn't obstruction

I would have voted for KBJ.
So did Collins for instance.
What's your point?

Sinema would be a valued addition to the GOP caucus.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2022, 08:27:17 PM »

I would have voted for KBJ.
So did Collins for instance.
What's your point?

Sinema would be a valued addition to the GOP caucus.

She is not a conservative, I would rather see her be a non-caucusing independent but then she would lose her committee assignments.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2022, 08:29:36 PM »

I hope the AZ GOP doesn't learn any lessons from this year's results and continue to underestimate Gallego at their own will like the quoted post above.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2022, 08:37:30 PM »

I hope the AZ GOP doesn't learn any lessons from this year's results and continue to underestimate Gallego at their own will like the quoted post above.
If they nominate someone like Finchem, they likely lose. If they nominate a more "normal" politician like KTR or Matt Salmon they have a good shot at it. Both of them have been influential recently in trying to get Kelli Ward out of the AZ GOP chair position.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2022, 08:51:45 PM »

I'm not convinced that as many insane Republicans will win statewide primaries in 2024. A lot of Republican voters that I've talked to are very upset about this midterms debacle. That's not to say they'll be moderates, but if Democrats expect more Mastrianos I think they're mistaken.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2022, 09:38:49 PM »

I’m all for primarying Sinema but there’s no guarantee we keep the seat if we run Gallego or whoever defeats Sinema. If a crazy is nominated we are definitely favored but if not it’s easy to imagine Gallego being defined as extreme and losing, especially if Biden loses the state.
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2022, 03:31:11 AM »

I'm not convinced that as many insane Republicans will win statewide primaries in 2024. A lot of Republican voters that I've talked to are very upset about this midterms debacle. That's not to say they'll be moderates, but if Democrats expect more Mastrianos I think they're mistaken.
This is my opinion as well.

Democrats lucked out this cycle with the GOP nominating wackadoodles in lots of states. My instincts tell me that dark money will start invading the primaries, and more "electable" candidates will be propped up.

I was telling my father and brother that, and the next day, I saw a Politico article talking about Steve Daines taking a more hands on approach in primaries. I believe it will extend to other statewide races as well.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2022, 03:44:06 AM »

I think people on this forum are all underestimating Sinema. 2 years in politics is super long.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2022, 07:33:47 AM »

I’m all for primarying Sinema but there’s no guarantee we keep the seat if we run Gallego or whoever defeats Sinema. If a crazy is nominated we are definitely favored but if not it’s easy to imagine Gallego being defined as extreme and losing, especially if Biden loses the state.

Sure, but Sinema is a far weaker candidate than Gallego.  Gallego, Stanton, or really just about any serious candidate would have a better shot in the GE than Sinema, plus if they win then we’d get an actual Democrat in the seat instead of a Republican.  I mean, Sinema is a Republican in a state where an actual Democrat can win (see: Mark Kelly x2, Fontes, Hobbs x2, Hoffman in ‘18, and Mayes) that alone is reason enough to primary her.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2022, 07:35:56 AM »

Sure, but Sinema is a far weaker candidate than Gallego.  Gallego, Stanton, or really just about any serious candidate would have a better shot in the GE than Sinema, plus if they win then we’d get an actual Democrat in the seat instead of a Republican.  I mean, Sinema is a Republican in a state where an actual Democrat can win (see: Mark Kelly x2, Fontes, Hobbs x2, Hoffman in ‘18, and Mayes) that alone is reason enough to primary her.
You keep using that word. It does not mean what you think it means.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2022, 10:40:55 AM »

I think people on this forum are all underestimating Sinema. 2 years in politics is super long.

The crazy thing is too that Sinema doesn't need to be this way. She can still do the whole "bipartisan work is important, etc." without being so off-putting to Dems. Mark Kelly just won by 5 points by still maintaining the "independent" mantle despite voting with Dems nearly all of the time. Arizona clearly doesn't have a problem with it. She's just making things worse for herself. But yeah, she can still turn this around if she stops being so obstructionist.

I do wonder about her involvement this year. I wonder if it was more of her not caring at all to help, or if they thought she'd be more of a hinderance? It does speak volumes though that she couldn't at least tweet a few times for Hobbs/Kelly or something. She didn't need to be by their side the whole time, but the fact that she did *nothing* it seems is pretty striking, and kinda shows that she's still refusing to be a team player.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2022, 11:32:36 AM »

The crazy thing is too that Sinema doesn't need to be this way. She can still do the whole "bipartisan work is important, etc." without being so off-putting to Dems. Mark Kelly just won by 5 points by still maintaining the "independent" mantle despite voting with Dems nearly all of the time. Arizona clearly doesn't have a problem with it. She's just making things worse for herself. But yeah, she can still turn this around if she stops being so obstructionist.

I do wonder about her involvement this year. I wonder if it was more of her not caring at all to help, or if they thought she'd be more of a hinderance? It does speak volumes though that she couldn't at least tweet a few times for Hobbs/Kelly or something. She didn't need to be by their side the whole time, but the fact that she did *nothing* it seems is pretty striking, and kinda shows that she's still refusing to be a team player.
How much is she fundraising behind the scenes? I thought I heard she's a prolific fundraiser for Democratic campaign committees, and that's part of why Schumer still stands, unflinchingly, by her.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies