Neil Gorsuch puts foot in mouth at argument, compares UNC’s affirmative action to antisemitism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 03:31:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Neil Gorsuch puts foot in mouth at argument, compares UNC’s affirmative action to antisemitism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Neil Gorsuch puts foot in mouth at argument, compares UNC’s affirmative action to antisemitism  (Read 984 times)
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2022, 11:07:04 AM »

He actually made that insensitive comment to attack a UNC policy that is perfectly reasonable. What he said makes me wanna puke!

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 12:11:45 PM »

I am sure we are going to hear in this thread compelling reasons why limiting Jewish admissions is bad but limiting Asian admissions isn't.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 02:59:41 PM »

I am sure we are going to hear in this thread compelling reasons why limiting Jewish admissions is bad but limiting Asian admissions isn't.
Unfortunately Asians don’t have the social or political capital like Jewish Americans to act on this
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 03:04:36 PM »

The left’s hate of Asians is a big reason many of us (including me) have become disillusioned with the Dems.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 03:14:42 PM »

The left’s hate of Asians is a big reason many of us (including me) have become disillusioned with the Dems.

Or perhaps; we should think  of rebooting the admissions process as a whole ?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 03:17:54 PM »

It’s kinda funny to me the knee jerk reaction conservatives have compare anything vaguely racial tinged they don’t like to antisemitism 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022, 03:31:58 PM »

"Gorsuch mentions athletes who play squash and row crew, sports that favor wealthy white students, then shifts gears by asking, “What do we do about history here?” and arguing that Harvard’s move to the holistic admissions approach used diversity as a subterfuge for racial quotas to limit Jewish enrollment."

The above is what Gorsuch actually said, and he has a point. Holistic admissions and legacy admissions and the introduction of subjective personal factors were used at one time to keep out Jews. Now they have the effect at least of keeping out Asians. And that is why Harvard is going to lose the case. If you want a diverse student body, don't use criteria that screw a minority.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2022, 03:35:01 PM »

It’s one thing to support improving education equality. It’s a whole another to promote certain races for admissions in universities. Not only are you blocking more qualified candidates but you are placing those who may be less prepared for difficult courses than the average student causing them to fail long term as well and just screwing everyone. The argument here should be for ways to reduce education inequalities earlier on. Don’t know why the left is so insistent on affirmative action instead.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2022, 03:35:43 PM »

What about saying that both of them are bad?

Anyway, it's clear admissions systems discriminate against Jews and Asians. Those concerned with the issue should focus on dealing with systemic poverty and other issues that prevent the enrollment of POCs in line with their percentage of the populace rather than striking down deserving students.
US Politics Fanatic
Bill Nelson
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2022, 03:59:56 PM »

Private universities should be allowed to discrimate based on race. Public universities should absolutely not and if they do, they should even be threatened to be shut down.

It's that simple. The same for restaurants and companies.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2022, 04:01:32 PM »

Private universities should be allowed to discrimate based on race. Public universities should absolutely not and if they do, they should even be threatened to be shut down.

Nice try.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2022, 04:06:27 PM »

How does the left hate Asians? It was your side that went on violent rampages towards Asian people because Trump blamed China for COVID.
US Politics Fanatic
Bill Nelson
Rookie
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2022, 04:08:54 PM »

How does the left hate Asians? It was your side that went on violent rampages towards Asian people because Trump blamed China for COVID.

Blaming a country and its people is not the same thing. Government =/= residents.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2022, 04:11:06 PM »

Harvard's problem is statutory rather than constitutional and due to it receiving federal funds.
US Politics Fanatic
Bill Nelson
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2022, 04:13:28 PM »

Harvard's problem is statutory rather than constitutional and due to it receiving federal funds.

Don't allow Federal or even local funds to universities or corporations that discriminate based on race but let them do it if they choose to do so.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2022, 04:27:16 PM »

Blaming a country and its people is not the same thing. Government =/= residents.

Right-wing radicals don't know the difference.
US Politics Fanatic
Bill Nelson
Rookie
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2022, 04:30:04 PM »

Right-wing radicals don't know the difference.

Some don't, I agree. But it's unfair, it's like saying all leftists support gulags, which I don't believe.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2022, 04:38:08 PM »

Don't allow Federal or even local funds to universities or corporations that discriminate based on race but let them do it if they choose to do so.

I am explaining the law and you are arguing policy. As to policy, do you draw a distinction between those that provide public accommodations like restaurants and hotels and private colleges?  Anyway, "you" "lost" that battle long ago - permanently.
US Politics Fanatic
Bill Nelson
Rookie
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2022, 04:39:54 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2022, 04:47:32 PM by Leopard Gecko »

I am explaining the law and you are arguing policy. As to policy, do you draw a distinction between those that provide public accommodations like restaurants and hotels and private colleges?  Anyway, "you" "lost" that battle long ago - permanently.

With all due respect, don't be so sure. Restaurants and hotels don't have more or less duties than private colleges. Same for every private institution.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2022, 05:02:21 PM »

Lol, Forumlurker161 isn't a Republican.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2022, 05:06:55 PM »

I am explaining the law and you are arguing policy. As to policy, do you draw a distinction between those that provide public accommodations like restaurants and hotels and private colleges?  Anyway, "you" "lost" that battle long ago - permanently.

With all due respect, don't be so sure. Restaurants and hotels don't have more or less duties than private colleges. Same for every private institution.

That is not the law however, as opposed to your opinion on policy.

In reality the distinction has no meaning as a practical matter. A private college that discriminates on race, would get no federal funds, including indirectly via Pell grants and so forth. That is not a business model that most private colleges could accept, even if in the abstract they wish to discriminate.
US Politics Fanatic
Bill Nelson
Rookie
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2022, 05:35:29 PM »

That is not the law however, as opposed to your opinion on policy.

In reality the distinction has no meaning as a practical matter. A private college that discriminates on race, would get no federal funds, including indirectly via Pell grants and so forth. That is not a business model that most private colleges could accept, even if in the abstract they wish to discriminate.

I understand what you mean. In fact, we don't understand each other because I consider affirmative action is discrimination and you don't. But you're right that currently the law is on your side, AA is not seen as a form of discrimination.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2022, 06:29:23 PM »

The Supreme Court continues to do what it has done for most of its history, screw over Black people.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2022, 12:42:45 AM »

It’s one thing to support improving education equality. It’s a whole another to promote certain races for admissions in universities. Not only are you blocking more qualified candidates but you are placing those who may be less prepared for difficult courses than the average student causing them to fail long term as well and just screwing everyone. The argument here should be for ways to reduce education inequalities earlier on. Don’t know why the left is so insistent on affirmative action instead.

I was thinking about adopting an Austrian/German style education system; and rebooting everything.

Too idealistic ?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2022, 11:28:02 AM »

Lol, Forumlurker161 isn't a Republican.

He has a blue avatar and is rooting for the Republicans to win in November, and is voting for them.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies