Neil Gorsuch puts foot in mouth at argument, compares UNC’s affirmative action to antisemitism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 01:35:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Neil Gorsuch puts foot in mouth at argument, compares UNC’s affirmative action to antisemitism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Neil Gorsuch puts foot in mouth at argument, compares UNC’s affirmative action to antisemitism  (Read 983 times)
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2022, 01:22:09 PM »

I am sure we are going to hear in this thread compelling reasons why limiting Jewish admissions is bad but limiting Asian admissions isn't.
The left’s hate of Asians is a big reason many of us (including me) have become disillusioned with the Dems.

How does the left hate Asians? It was your side that went on violent rampages towards Asian people because Trump blamed China for COVID.

Lol, Forumlurker161 isn't a Republican.

He has a blue avatar and is rooting for the Republicans to win in November, and is voting for them.

It's his weird performance art. He started pouting a week or so ago because the moderators scolded him for derailing every thread with comments about how evil Republicans are and how they're going to overthrow democracy.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2022, 06:55:16 PM »

He actually made that insensitive comment to attack a UNC policy that is perfectly reasonable. What he said makes me wanna puke!

I am Jewish.

He is correct. The same institutions are discriminating against Asians today that once discriminated against Jews for roughly the same reasons, and justifying it with the same excuses.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2022, 07:21:11 PM »

I don't think Gorsuch was wrong. I think Harvard is in worse trouble with this Court though. It looks like the Court will probably split these decisions, but Harvard is going to take the primary brunt of an adverse ruling. While I don't think the Court can order them to end ALDC admissions, they may very well want it to be considered under strict scrutiny. It's clear that affirmative action is not the least restrictive means by which to obtain a diverse student body.

I'm actually not entirely convinced this Court will eliminate affirmative action entirely. I think they'll gut it, but stop just short of enshrining truly race-neutral admissions (though it could be that in practice).
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2022, 07:31:31 PM »

He is correct. The Ivy Leagues used the exact same mechanisms in the 1920s and 1930s to impose a quota on Jews.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2022, 07:54:11 PM »

I am sure we are going to hear in this thread compelling reasons why limiting Jewish admissions is bad but limiting Asian admissions isn't.
The left’s hate of Asians is a big reason many of us (including me) have become disillusioned with the Dems.

Lol ok. If you want a reason to vote for fascists don't use some fake perceived bias as your justification. Or are you still LARPing as though we live in mainland China?
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2022, 07:57:18 PM »

How does the left hate Asians? It was your side that went on violent rampages towards Asian people because Trump blamed China for COVID.

He has a blue avatar and is rooting for the Republicans to win in November, and is voting for them.

It's his weird performance art. He started pouting a week or so ago because the moderators scolded him for derailing every thread with comments about how evil Republicans are and how they're going to overthrow democracy.

This part is unequivocally true and perhaps even likely; although his timeline was pretty off base.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2022, 07:59:06 PM »

This part is unequivocally true and perhaps even likely; although his timeline was pretty off base.

I guess his timeline might be correct. It hasn't happened yet. I think he believes that after the midterms the Republicans are going to abolish Democracy. I don't remember. It all got so repetitive that I can't keep any of it straight.
BloJo94
Rookie
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2022, 01:33:05 PM »

It may not be gone completely.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2023, 09:45:32 AM »
« Edited: January 15, 2023, 10:03:49 AM by Torie »

The NYT has an article about how colleges and universities are preparing for the expected, and not only expected, but sweeping, decision killing off affirmative action in admissions. Yes, the oral argument was quite brutal, with even Roberts channeling much of Alito's typically caustic take no prisoners energy. No wonder Kagan is depressed.

Of most interest, is that it will probably be the death knell for standardized tests. With no such tests, it makes it harder to prove that an university is engaging in what would then be illicit affirmative action, or favoritism based on race.

For every action, there is a reaction, and that includes what some might deem cheating. Maybe the places with more more money than God, or at least Elon Musk these days, like the most insouciant Ivy sisters, Harvard, Yale and Princeton, should set up campuses in Canada, with their own admissions personnel,  in hopes they would be beyond the reach of US law. And then we can have a case involving jurisdiction, long arm statutes, and God knows what else. Gosh the law, at least the American iteration thereof, is magnificent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/15/us/affirmative-action-admissions-scotus.html

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies