Official 2022 Congressional Election Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 08:06:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Official 2022 Congressional Election Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 333 334 335 [336] 337 338 339 340 341 ... 557
Author Topic: Official 2022 Congressional Election Results Thread  (Read 307105 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8375 on: November 11, 2022, 03:36:41 PM »

Any reason why AZ senate hasn’t been called by major networks yet?

The fabled Maricopa Dump hasn't arrived yet. If that isn't insanely good for Masters it will be called.

There is one more that will be very good for Republicans, the 17K of the last remaining E-Day vote. Other than that yeah, we have to see how the day of drop offs where.

How good for the Republicans will the 17k be?

They probably get a solid majority of them, but not an overwhelming one.
Spectator
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8376 on: November 11, 2022, 03:36:44 PM »

The fabled Maricopa Dump hasn't arrived yet. If that isn't insanely good for Masters it will be called.

There is one more that will be very good for Republicans, the 17K of the last remaining E-Day vote. Other than that yeah, we have to see how the day of drop offs where.

EDay votes broke 70-30 for the Republican candidates, give or take depending on the race in question.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #8377 on: November 11, 2022, 03:37:54 PM »

EDay votes broke 70-30 for the Republican candidates, give or take depending on the race in question.

Okay. And is that 17k spread across the whole county? Where in the county is it?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8378 on: November 11, 2022, 03:38:09 PM »

Why do they want to postpone the leadership elections? Because they're worried McCarthy won't win?
SCNCmod

« Reply #8379 on: November 11, 2022, 03:38:21 PM »

Apparently there's a letter circulating among Senate Republicans trying to postpone leadership elections scheduled for Wednesday.

One of the main Senators behind it is... Rick Scott.

https://i.imgur.com/g3emCyU.png
Six public backers so far:

I'll be genuinely amazed if Scott manages to escape backlash from his mishandling of the NRSC's finances and decision to not weigh in on any primaries, by just saying it's all Mitch McConnell's fault.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy, but still.

Doesn't Rick Scott have a history of mismanagement scandals... I bet he's a little sensitive to the failure!  (Love him or hate him... McConnell runs circles around Scott regarding competency.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8380 on: November 11, 2022, 03:38:47 PM »

Maricopa and arguably Clarke counties should really be broken up. These western mega counties just seem really impractical for a lot of things
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #8381 on: November 11, 2022, 03:39:07 PM »

Apparently there's a letter circulating among Senate Republicans trying to postpone leadership elections scheduled for Wednesday.

If they oust McConnell, I guess that means the $9 million McConnell spent to win Murkowski’s loyalty is moot.

It's a funny situation because she's cited as a primary reason why they hate McConnell now. If the Republicans decide on an angry, crazy majority leader then that will make things awkward for Murkowski, especially whenever they need her vote. Depending on how Alaska is looking in 2024 and beyond, Murkowski might determine that it's unwise politically to side with some of the more ridiculous Republican demands like refusing to confirm uncontroversial judges, etc. She never becomes a Democrat, though.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #8382 on: November 11, 2022, 03:39:36 PM »

Why do they want to postpone the leadership elections? Because they're worried McCarthy won't win?

Senators wanna postpone theirs nominally because the midterms aren't over yet & doing it now disenfranchises Herschel Walker, but really just to stir up some hay for Mitch now that he's weak & everything is zero-sun for them &/or bide some time to try & organize a legit challenge.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8383 on: November 11, 2022, 03:39:51 PM »

Okay. And is that 17k spread across the whole county? Where in the county is it?

It's the ballots that couldn't be scanned because they were printed too light, which was an issue at a bunch of vote centers (I want to say 40?), so I'd assume they're widely distributed across the county.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8384 on: November 11, 2022, 03:40:14 PM »

Every call I don’t like is a premature call.

AZ-SEN was prematurely called in 2020.
CO-03 was prematurely called (and ended up being wrong) this year.

Races can be prematurely called in ways that are favorable to Democrats too. People find you completely insufferable because you have very clear double standards in your reasoning.
AZ-Sen was not prematurely called in 2020. Kelly won. The call stood.

Just because the outcome ended up standing doesn't mean the call wasn't premature.  Like, if someone wins by 2 votes in the end, but it was called at poll closing, are you saying that wouldn't be a premature call?  

It would not be. The call means a tie is outside of the 99.5% confidence interval. A 2 vote difference is outside of that.
Spectator
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8385 on: November 11, 2022, 03:40:47 PM »

Maricopa and arguably Clarke counties should really be broken up. These western mega counties just seem really impractical for a lot of things

Nah, Florida has big mega counties too and they never have these issues counting ballots.
new_patomic

« Reply #8386 on: November 11, 2022, 03:41:26 PM »

Senators wanna postpone theirs nominally because the midterms aren't over yet & doing it now disenfranchises Herschel Walker, but really just to stir up some hay for Mitch now that he's weak & everything is zero-sun for them &/or bide some time to try & organize a legit challenge.

I'd also say it's less about actually toppling McConnell now as it is registering discontent, virtue signaling the base, maybe getting a few digs in to see if you can weaken his stranglehold on leadership.

Still dumb, though.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #8387 on: November 11, 2022, 03:41:37 PM »

Every call I don’t like is a premature call.

AZ-SEN was prematurely called in 2020.
CO-03 was prematurely called (and ended up being wrong) this year.

Races can be prematurely called in ways that are favorable to Democrats too. People find you completely insufferable because you have very clear double standards in your reasoning.
AZ-Sen was not prematurely called in 2020. Kelly won. The call stood.

Just because the outcome ended up standing doesn't mean the call wasn't premature.  Like, if someone wins by 2 votes in the end, but it was called at poll closing, are you saying that wouldn't be a premature call?  

It would not be. The call means a tie is outside of the 99.5% confidence interval. A 2 vote difference is outside of that.

Come on, don't p*ss down my leg and tell me it's raining.  What utter nonsense.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8388 on: November 11, 2022, 03:42:21 PM »

Lots of types coming from Maricopa tonight.

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8389 on: November 11, 2022, 03:42:27 PM »

Nah, Florida has big mega counties too and they never have these issues counting ballots.

I just saw a very good and evenhanded thread explaining the differences between Florida and Arizona election laws and procedures and why they cause Florida to count so much faster.  Start here:

Lognog
United States

« Reply #8390 on: November 11, 2022, 03:42:57 PM »

Are they trying to postpone until new members are elected?

If that is the case and dems win NV, AZ, and GA, doesn't this movement have almost a quarter of people it needs to out McConnell (6 backers, 49 GOP senators, 25 for majority)?

Are there 19 others that would back it?

I'm suspecting most of the backers will be freshmen or very anti-establishment people
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #8391 on: November 11, 2022, 03:43:12 PM »

It's the ballots that couldn't be scanned because they were printed too light, which was an issue at a bunch of vote centers (I want to say 40?), so I'd assume they're widely distributed across the county.

Okay. That's probably not enough for Schweikert to take the lead, then. If the 17k were entirely in his district, he would need 63%.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #8392 on: November 11, 2022, 03:43:21 PM »

Lots of types coming from Maricopa tonight.

Ah, so these could be slightly more better for Rs in total than if it it was just drop-offs. Those 17k are more likely to favor them than the 60K drop-offs. The 17K were in-person.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8393 on: November 11, 2022, 03:43:42 PM »

Funny how no one seems to be talking about Guam anymore.
That was like -THE- story on here for much of Election Day.

Washington DC, Puerto Rico, and Guam should be admitted as states immediately. It's a perfect compromise- a blue state, a swing state, and a red state, so no feelings have to get hurt to do the right thinf.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #8394 on: November 11, 2022, 03:43:56 PM »

If they oust McConnell, I guess that means the $9 million McConnell spent to win Murkowski’s loyalty is moot.
I believe the peak-chaos (implausible but amusing to speculate) outcome here goes as follows:
  • Senate GOP very narrowly win NV, GA, for a 51-49 GOP senate.
  • Senate GOP oust McConnell, and replace him with Scott (with McConnell's funding of the AK Senate race the clear undertone for his removal).
  • Murkowski makes a bid show about the party swinging to the right, and caucuses with the Dems in return for chairmanship of the Energy and Natural Resources Committee, handing them Senate control back.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #8395 on: November 11, 2022, 03:44:07 PM »

The Oregonian really went with the R winning in OR-05 simply because they claimed victory? That's some botched journalism...
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8396 on: November 11, 2022, 03:44:08 PM »

Come on, don't p*ss down my leg and tell me it's raining.  What utter nonsense.

I don't know what to tell you man. I must have said this a dozen times in 2020. When they call it, it often includes the possibility the result could be very close. And if they don't call it then, they're artificially holding back for no valid reason.
AZdude
Rookie
« Reply #8397 on: November 11, 2022, 03:45:51 PM »

The delay in AZ is basically for one reason, and one reason only.  In AZ you are allowed to drop off absentee ballots on election day.  In Florida you are not.  All the ballots dropped off on election day have to be signature checked before they can be counted, and if the signature doesn't match the voter has to be contacted and has 3 days (I think) to verify their identity.

It doesn't have anything to do with how large Maricopa County is.  The other counties are still processing votes, it's just that they have fewer voters.

I'm a strong supporter of mail-in voting, but I think election day drop offs should not be allowed.  If you wait until the last minute but are willing to get into your car or walk to a polling place, there's no reason you can't stand in line and vote.

This is making our state into a laughingstock, and far worse, fueling the nutjobs and their conspiracy theories.  When AZ wasn't competitive, nobody cared (see several of the other Western states), but now we are, and people DO care.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #8398 on: November 11, 2022, 03:46:26 PM »

Ralston all but writing Sisolak's obituary. Damn.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8399 on: November 11, 2022, 03:46:44 PM »

Funny how no one seems to be talking about Guam anymore.
That was like -THE- story on here for much of Election Day.

Washington DC, Puerto Rico, and Guam should be admitted as states immediately. It's a perfect compromise- a blue state, a swing state, and a red state, so no feelings have to get hurt to do the right thinf.
Guam + Northern Marianas Islands and I'm in.

A Marianas state would still have the lowest population in the Union, but 200k (201,165 in the 2020 Census) is enough for a state to support itself. Almost all western states were admitted with smaller populations than that.
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 333 334 335 [336] 337 338 339 340 341 ... 557  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies