Official 2022 Congressional Election Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 09:02:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Official 2022 Congressional Election Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 238 239 240 [241] 242 243 244 245 246 ... 557
Author Topic: Official 2022 Congressional Election Results Thread  (Read 301717 times)
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6000 on: November 09, 2022, 10:56:23 PM »

Can we stop arguing about gerrymandering? Everytime I refresh I am hoping to see new updates, not some diatribe about the ethics of gerrymandering.

Compucomp is back!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6001 on: November 09, 2022, 10:56:45 PM »

Can we stop arguing about gerrymandering? Everytime I refresh I am hoping to see new updates, not some diatribe about the ethics of gerrymandering.

I'm not sure if we'll get anything new tonight, from AZ and NV anyway. Maybe CO-03?

I saw on Twitter Pueblo isn't going to start counting again until tomorrow morning, so probably no call on CO-3 tonight.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #6002 on: November 09, 2022, 10:56:48 PM »

Haven't seen it mentioned here, but Herrell conceded to Vasquez earlier today. Given her behavior in 2018, I'm pleasantly surprised.

I'm happy the NM gerrymander worked out, I was pretty skeptical of it.

Being happy about gerrymandering is not only anti-democratic, it’s pro cheating. If a Republican posted this, they would be called a fascist.

It is fighting fire with fire. If Florida's GOP can take multiple seats through gerrymandering, why can't Dems elsewhere flip one? The easy solution is to end it on a national level of course, but I don't think Republicans want to do that to stop the occasional cut throat efforts in states like New Mexico when they have so much upside in Florida, Texas, and basically everywhere else across the south.

Fighting fire with fire burns everyone to death. Gerrymandering is inexcusable regardless of the circumstances.
As a resident of Texas and a Democratic-leaning person who usually has had R representatives, I would not consider the gerrymandering you see in my state as inexcusable. If anything, I've seen how lines drawn to protect congressman have come to fail them.
Gerrymanders can fail. That's just being an occupational hazard of a politician whose party has gerrymandered things in your favor. That's why Pete Sessions is no longer in Congress.

Actually Pete Sessions carpetbagged over to another, redder district and won there.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #6003 on: November 09, 2022, 10:56:50 PM »

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6004 on: November 09, 2022, 10:58:02 PM »

So what's going on in Montana's 1st district? I haven't seen anyone call it.

Looks like a narrow GOP win, but still a pretty impressive performance for Dems. That one definitely should be a target in the future.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6005 on: November 09, 2022, 10:58:34 PM »

Haven't seen it mentioned here, but Herrell conceded to Vasquez earlier today. Given her behavior in 2018, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Being happy about gerrymandering is not only anti-democratic, it’s pro cheating. If a Republican posted this, they would be called a fascist.

It is fighting fire with fire. If Florida's GOP can take multiple seats through gerrymandering, why can't Dems elsewhere flip one? The easy solution is to end it on a national level of course, but I don't think Republicans want to do that to stop the occasional cut throat efforts in states like New Mexico when they have so much upside in Florida, Texas, and basically everywhere else across the south.

Fighting fire with fire burns everyone to death. Gerrymandering is inexcusable regardless of the circumstances.
As a resident of Texas and a Democratic-leaning person who usually has had R representatives, I would not consider the gerrymandering you see in my state as inexcusable. If anything, I've seen how lines drawn to protect congressman have come to fail them.
Gerrymanders can fail. That's just being an occupational hazard of a politician whose party has gerrymandered things in your favor. That's why Pete Sessions is no longer in Congress.

Actually Pete Sessions carpetbagged over to another, redder district and won there.
Wait, what? That's the same Pete Sessions? I assumed it was someone with the same name but different person and failed to look at it further.
All I can say is lol...
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6006 on: November 09, 2022, 10:59:27 PM »

Wait, what? That's the same Pete Sessions? I assumed it was someone with the same name but different person and failed to look at it further.
All I can say is lol...

Yup, the same Pete Sessions. I lol'd when I first heard about it too.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6007 on: November 09, 2022, 11:00:01 PM »

All I can say is lol...

Darrell Issa (remember him?) did the same thing.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6008 on: November 09, 2022, 11:00:36 PM »

Compucomp is back!

He never really left, bless his suancai heart.

I’d be beyond pissed if Dems somehow kept their House majority without Katie Porter, Jay Chen, or Christy Smith. But if CO-03 flips back then none of this really matters
gf20202
« Reply #6009 on: November 09, 2022, 11:02:34 PM »

I'm not sure if we'll get anything new tonight, from AZ and NV anyway. Maybe CO-03?
We're getting a vote from Washoe in NV unless I missed it already.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #6010 on: November 09, 2022, 11:02:55 PM »

The correct response to 2016's bait about the House being called in the 9pm hour in 2020 (this is the rare case in which the correct response is NOT no response) is that it was an objectively premature call that should not have been made when it was and the outlets that made it got lucky that they didn't have to retract it.

Regarding 2018, my memory is fuzzier though I have no recollection of any statistical evidence of the majority being in doubt by the 11pm hour.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #6011 on: November 09, 2022, 11:05:58 PM »

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6012 on: November 09, 2022, 11:06:01 PM »

I hope Hobbs pulls it out in AZ. Not only because I don't want a swing state governed by a Trumpist election denier, but also because I want to see all the "media personalities" -- Lake, Dixon, and Oz -- lose to actual elected officials. (Vance is an exception I guess.) I still believe experience matters, and that it's reckless and stupid to elect somebody just because you saw them on TV.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #6013 on: November 09, 2022, 11:06:25 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2022, 11:07:33 PM by Virginiá »

All I can say is lol...

Fun fact: Pete is the son of the late William Sessions, who was Director of the FBI from 1987 to 1993. You might recognize him from the WINNERS DON’T DO DRUGS message in those old arcade games:

100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #6014 on: November 09, 2022, 11:06:50 PM »

One thing that probably needs to be discussed more when analyzing elections is luck.  In 2020, Republicans won most of the very close races.  This year, it looks like Democrats are going to win the lion's share of the races with small margins.  Especially in a 435 member body, something like that is going to come down to luck.  Wasserman is actually saying that we might wind up with a GCB of close to R+4.  If that's true, it changes some of the analysis from wondering why Democrats virtually tied the election to understanding that we hit some bad luck.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #6015 on: November 09, 2022, 11:06:53 PM »

Gerrymandering is part of the system. Within some bounds, it is a wonderful practice, one both parties can use.
I am glad IL Ds drew the lines in my favor and helped my party win at least a near-majority.

If I ever add a downvote feature to the forum, this post is going to rank high on the list of reasons why
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #6016 on: November 09, 2022, 11:08:06 PM »

Why are the Networks refusing to call the House I don't get. The Numbers ain't there for Democrats.

They're not going to call the House either way until there are 218 called races for a party. (Obviously?)
LOL, the House was called during the 11pm in 2018 and during the 9pm ET Hour in 2020 despite Democrats not having reached 218 Seats.

I actually have changed my mind. I am now hoping for a Democratic House Win so that the Republican Party can get finally rid of Trump.

That is way more important.

Are you stupid or ignorant?  Seriously.  Obviously this is different than 2018, as that wasn't close in terms of seats, whereas this will be.
How is this different from 2020. A 222-213 House was also close.

That one honestly shouldn't have been projected that early.  Their model was way off, if I remember correctly.  Similar to how Fox News was in no position to project Biden had won AZ, even if it turned out to come to pass in the end.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #6017 on: November 09, 2022, 11:08:54 PM »

GTFO of here
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #6018 on: November 09, 2022, 11:09:17 PM »

Gerrymandering is part of the system. Within some bounds, it is a wonderful practice, one both parties can use.
I am glad IL Ds drew the lines in my favor and helped my party win at least a near-majority.

If I ever add a downvote feature to the forum, this post is going to rank high on the list of reasons why

I doubt this is wholly serious, but please don't turn Atlas into Reddit.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6019 on: November 09, 2022, 11:10:26 PM »

Why are the Networks refusing to call the House I don't get. The Numbers ain't there for Democrats.

They're not going to call the House either way until there are 218 called races for a party. (Obviously?)
LOL, the House was called during the 11pm in 2018 and during the 9pm ET Hour in 2020 despite Democrats not having reached 218 Seats.

I actually have changed my mind. I am now hoping for a Democratic House Win so that the Republican Party can get finally rid of Trump.

That is way more important.

Are you stupid or ignorant?  Seriously.  Obviously this is different than 2018, as that wasn't close in terms of seats, whereas this will be.
How is this different from 2020. A 222-213 House was also close.

That one honestly shouldn't have been projected that early.  Their model was way off, if I remember correctly.  Similar to how Fox News was in no position to project Biden had won AZ, even if it turned out to come to pass in the end.

If you think that's bad, wait until you hear about the Georgia 1992 instacall when that turned out to be the closest state in the country. To say nothing of the Florida calls/uncalls in 2000. The media used to be MUCH more reckless with early calls.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6020 on: November 09, 2022, 11:10:57 PM »

I was napping when this came in, however got to mention. This seat has always seemed like everyone's common wisdom was wrong - Mainly cause the seat geographically doesn't appear to change.  But this seat took in a bunch of high-intensity Democrat areas and stealthy zoomed so far past its former position that a lot of people were caught napping.  The primary vote suggested the seat would be better grouped with the OC seats. Always been my sleeper seat cause why was everyone else not seeing the stuff right in front of them.

Now the GOP still could win, but this is a marginal race. Also, it shouldn't have been this seat but the SD or OC ones which lurched left, but the ripple effects of precinct movements ended up here...for some reason.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6021 on: November 09, 2022, 11:11:50 PM »

Yeah, upvote/downvote system encourages circlejerks like nothing else.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6022 on: November 09, 2022, 11:11:57 PM »

All I can say is lol...

Imagine telling someone in 2019 that both Pete Sessions and Collin Allred would be elected to Congress in an election cycle...
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #6023 on: November 09, 2022, 11:12:18 PM »

I still really dislike the idea yea, but the general nature of that post is like symbolic (to me) of why a downvote button could serve a reasonable purpose
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #6024 on: November 09, 2022, 11:12:42 PM »

McCarthy is really disliked in CA that's why Ds keep winning due to SF, LA and SD he only wins in his home Bakersfield he only won the H not based on CA only on FL and TX
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 238 239 240 [241] 242 243 244 245 246 ... 557  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies