Is Christopher Colombus a victim of Cancel Culture?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 09:55:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is Christopher Colombus a victim of Cancel Culture?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Colombus Cancel Culture?
Yes and he deserves it

No because it's not Cancel Culture in his case

Yes and he doesn't deserve it

No because Cancel Culture doesn't exist

Some other option

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 82

Author Topic: Is Christopher Colombus a victim of Cancel Culture?  (Read 3615 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2022, 08:06:10 AM »

Grumps, despite all evidence to the contrary, I believe that you are still educable. Yes, Columbus deserved to be cancelled not because he didn't discover that the world is round, and not because he was a colonialist and capitalist, and certainly not because he unwittingly engaged in germ warfare, but rather because he was a slaver and a murderer. In the context of the times, he should have been drawn and quartered, and his entrails thrown in a pot to be consumed by cannibals. I hope that helps.  Angel

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/12/us/christopher-columbus-slavery-disease-trnd
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2022, 08:56:10 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2022, 08:57:51 AM »

Grumps, despite all evidence to the contrary, I believe that you are still educable. Yes, Columbus deserved to be cancelled not because he didn't discover that the world is round, and not because he was a colonialist and capitalist, and certainly not because he unwittingly engaged in germ warfare, but rather because he was a slaver and a murderer. In the context of the times, he should have been drawn and quartered, and his entrails thrown in a pot to be consumed by cannibals. I hope that helps.  Angel

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/12/us/christopher-columbus-slavery-disease-trnd

It will be cancelled once we pass Voting Rights but Sinema Filibuster is preventing that, because they will swap Voting Rights Holiday with Columbus Day, but Thanksgiving the Indians did meet with Pilgrims too that is a white and Native Americans Holiday too, let's just enjoy Italians as Columbus was the Cleveland Indians got rid of their name on part of LeBron
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2022, 10:05:50 AM »

There's a very weird game of telephone that happens with Columbus. In the early twentieth century the default was to see as a generic nice Italian explorer who discovered America and proved the world was round despite everyone thinking the world was flat, but was still centuries before the founding of the US itself. Then some historians pointed out that he wasn't actually a good person, and that he wasn't actually the first European to reach the Americas (to say nothing of the millions of people who were already here to begin with), and didn't ever set foot in any of the modern US (besides territories), and that actually it was widely known that the world was round and that his entire voyage was due to a miscalculation of the size of the Earth.

Somehow in popular culture that got turned into "Columbus was a genocidal maniac who is completely irrelevant to history because Leif Eriksson got there first" vs. "Columbus was a good person and a conservative icon who should be celebrated as a founder of the United States" both of which are ahistorical and are conflating being a good person and being a historically important person. Obviously the "left" side of this argument is right that Columbus Day shouldn't be a thing, but there's still some nuance needed here.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2022, 12:11:43 PM »

and in another parallel, there was and is a tendency in Germany to rename "Von Braun" schools and streets due to his involvement in the use of concentration camp inmates as slave labour to build rockets

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Braun_Center

Huntsville is a very strange place.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2022, 01:32:11 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2022, 09:18:33 PM by Infraction 94 »

For all the same reasons Mongolians continue to celebrate Genghis Khan.

He discovered America, launching the modern era and changing the course of history. We owe our existence as a nation to him.
but:
1.he died thinking he wasn't in America but Asia
2.because he was very very very wrong about the size of the world
3.because everyone knew the world was round in 1492 and how big it was, they were right, he was not
4.nevermind the whole "he was bad even for his day" which is saying a lot

If he was just wrong and an otherwise nice guy, sure, celebrate him as one of the great accidents history, still wouldn't deserve a Federal holiday.  But the fact that he was amazingly dumb and cruel for his day makes celebrating him very wrong.  And it's not like someone else wouldn't have tried to go west eventually, and probably sooner than later.

Leif Erikson became the first European to discover America half a millennium before Columbus did, and he didn't become a brutal dictator.
sure, but nothing came of it so I don't think it should be an important part of the already good arguments against Columbus being a historical "hero".  He was a piece of sh**t and he was wrong, he "proved" nothing and only accidentally discovered a continent, and he didn't even believe that he did.

That's fair. And we're also forgetting that Columbus Day is essentially an Italian-American holiday. (This is what criminal Andrew Cuomo complained about.) So the Nordics got Leif Erikson Day and the Italians got Columbus Day. But it is very strange that Columbus should be their representative, when there are so many others. Why not an Amerigo Vespucci Day?
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2022, 01:49:23 PM »

He discovered America, launching the modern era and changing the course of history. We owe our existence as a nation to him.
but:
3.because everyone knew the world was round in 1492 and how big it was, they were right, he was not

If he was just wrong and an otherwise nice guy, sure, celebrate him as one of the great accidents history, still wouldn't deserve a Federal holiday.  But the fact that he was amazingly dumb and cruel for his day makes celebrating him very wrong.  And it's not like someone else wouldn't have tried to go west eventually, and probably sooner than later.

Leif Erikson became the first European to discover America half a millennium before Columbus did, and he didn't become a brutal dictator.
sure, but nothing came of it so I don't think it should be an important part of the already good arguments against Columbus being a historical "hero".  He was a piece of sh**t and he was wrong, he "proved" nothing and only accidentally discovered a continent, and he didn't even believe that he did.

That's fair. And we're also forgetting that Columbus Day is essentially an Italian-American holiday. (This is what criminal Adam Cuomo complained about.) So the Nordics got Leif Erikson Day and the Italians got Columbus Day. But it is very strange that Columbus should be their representative, when there are so many others. Why not an Amerigo Vespucci Day?

Agreed, it's long past due for a Silvio Berlusconi Day
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2022, 02:22:22 PM »

but:

If he was just wrong and an otherwise nice guy, sure, celebrate him as one of the great accidents history, still wouldn't deserve a Federal holiday.  But the fact that he was amazingly dumb and cruel for his day makes celebrating him very wrong.  And it's not like someone else wouldn't have tried to go west eventually, and probably sooner than later.

sure, but nothing came of it so I don't think it should be an important part of the already good arguments against Columbus being a historical "hero".  He was a piece of sh**t and he was wrong, he "proved" nothing and only accidentally discovered a continent, and he didn't even believe that he did.

That's fair. And we're also forgetting that Columbus Day is essentially an Italian-American holiday. (This is what criminal Adam Cuomo complained about.) So the Nordics got Leif Erikson Day and the Italians got Columbus Day. But it is very strange that Columbus should be their representative, when there are so many others. Why not an Amerigo Vespucci Day?

Agreed, it's long past due for a Silvio Berlusconi Day

Broke: Lee–Jackson–King Day
Woke: Columbus–Berlusconi–Cuomo Day
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2022, 02:38:45 PM »

I think the victims of the attempted genocide that followed were much more victims of literal cancel culture.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2022, 05:04:14 PM »

but why do/should Italians get their own day?  What are they, the fifth largest ethnic demographic in the US?  I do agree that Columbus would is a bad example of an Italian worth celebrating, but apparently he's the best Italian American ever.  I'd be embarrassed if I was Italian American.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2022, 05:15:02 PM »

Christopher Columbus is literally among the most evil people of all time, and the historical re-evaluation he is getting to transform him from being seen as a great scientist to being seen as a horrible monster is 1000% deserved.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2022, 05:53:43 PM »

but:

Considering how much dead0man hates "wokeness," if even he is critical of Christopher Columbus, I think it's safe to say that he deserves to be negatively analyzed how he has been in the modern day.
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2022, 07:40:05 PM »

but why do/should Italians get their own day?  What are they, the fifth largest ethnic demographic in the US?  I do agree that Columbus would is a bad example of an Italian worth celebrating, but apparently he's the best Italian American ever.  I'd be embarrassed if I was Italian American.

Italians got Columbus Day because Benjamin Harrison wanted to ease domestic and international tensions after a bunch of Italians got lynched in New Orleans in 1891.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2022, 09:17:21 PM »

but:

How about someone who is actually relevant to modern Italian-Americans?
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2022, 09:20:54 PM »

Yeah, why not? I'm not Italian so I don't really have a dog in this fight, other than that Columbus Day should be changed to Indigenous Peoples Day and Italian-Americans should celebrate someone less terrible, which isn't hard.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2022, 09:27:25 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2022, 04:30:20 AM by swamp fox »

He was a real scumbag, if you ever read his primary historical sources (raping indigenous women and laughing about it)

Leif Erikson is the only European I will ever recognize as the true European discoverer of the Americas.

And yes, if you disagree with with me, your opinion is wrong.  
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2022, 08:50:40 AM »

Yes but in this case I am fine with it.

Also, I refuse to recognize Lief Ericsson day.  The reason Columbus is important is that his voyages opened the age of colonization which led to the settlement of the US.  Ericsson’s voyage had no similar long-term impact.
sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2022, 09:05:53 AM »

Because if it were up to us we'd have a day celebrating a fictional boxer.

nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2022, 09:39:10 AM »

Yes, unfortunately the opportunistic lies and exaggerations of Francisco de Bobadilla continue to live on I the present day. Columbus was certainly no great administrator or politician, but a vast majority of the heinous crimes levied against him were the result of colonial rebellions against him forcing his hand, or just downright lies told by his rivals, meant to slander him before the Queen.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2022, 02:02:52 PM »

but:

If he was just wrong and an otherwise nice guy, sure, celebrate him as one of the great accidents of history, still wouldn't deserve a Federal holiday.  But the fact that he was amazingly dumb and cruel for his day makes celebrating him very wrong.  And it's not like someone else wouldn't have tried to go west eventually, and probably sooner than later.

#1 and #4 are just plain wrong. 

Columbus writes in the journal of his third voyage (1498) that America was "a mighty continent" "hitherto unknown."

The atrocities of Columbus are largely mythical and more correctly ascribed to Nicolas de Ovando, who was the Spanish governor of Hispaniola from 1501 to 1509.  A lot of the bad stuff attributed to Columbus is Black Legend revisionism pushed by later English and Dutch colonists.   
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2022, 02:06:36 PM »

but:

Leif Erikson became the first European to discover America half a millennium before Columbus did, and he didn't become a brutal dictator. Leif Erikson Day is on the 9th of October, one day before Columbus Day, but most people only heard about it from Spongebob.

It doesn't count as "discovering" something if you pack up, leave, and nothing ever becomes of it.  Before Columbus set sail in 1492, no one on either side of the Atlantic knew the other was there
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2022, 02:14:44 PM »

Christopher Columbus was a tool in the most literal sense. If he was a victim of anything after his death, it was an inflated reputation in the United States from politicians attempting awkward appeals to ethnic Italians. For much of our history we understood that while Columbus played a pivotal role in exploring the continent, the English colonists deserved the credit for actually delivering civilization to much of this continent. The current anti-Columbus fervor is an abrupt regression toward the historical mean.

Ah, so all the places and things named after Columbus (i.e., Colombia, British Columbia, the District of Columbia, Columbus, OH; Columbia the personification of America, etc) didn't exist before American politicians wanted to court the Italian vote?  Nonsense.  Columbia was a highly venerated figure very early in our nation's history.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2022, 02:18:21 PM »

Christopher Columbus was a tool in the most literal sense. If he was a victim of anything after his death, it was an inflated reputation in the United States from politicians attempting awkward appeals to ethnic Italians. For much of our history we understood that while Columbus played a pivotal role in exploring the continent, the English colonists deserved the credit for actually delivering civilization to much of this continent. The current anti-Columbus fervor is an abrupt regression toward the historical mean.

Ah, so all the places and things named after Columbus (i.e., Colombia, British Columbia, the District of Columbia, Columbus, OH; Columbia the personification of America, etc) didn't exist before American politicians wanted to court the Italian vote?  Nonsense.  Columbia was a highly venerated figure very early in our nation's history.

This feels a bit of a stretch. Is the US being called "America" now or even being named "The United States of America" in 1776 really supposed to be seen as a statement of veneration towards Vespucci?
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2022, 02:21:48 PM »

He is dead
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2022, 02:26:42 PM »

This feels a bit of a stretch. Is the US being called "America" now or even being named "The United States of America" in 1776 really supposed to be seen as a statement of veneration towards Vespucci?

There is a growing myth that Columbus was a historical nobody who was plucked from obscurity in the 19th/early 20th century when Italians needed an "American" hero to help bring them in the White mainstream.  That idea simply isn't true and deserves pushback.  Columbus was a widely known about and celebrated figure less than 100 years after his death.  That there are many places/ideas (dating to the mid-1700s) that bear Columbus' name is suggestive of his enduring centrality in America's foundational story.   
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies