Opinion of the Holy Roman Empire?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 12:30:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the Holy Roman Empire?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Opinion of the Holy Roman Empire?  (Read 1226 times)
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 20, 2022, 02:21:50 AM »

Before someone pops in with the overused Voltaire quip, I would say it was one of the greatest polities of all time.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 04:42:59 AM »

Freedom Empire
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 06:14:38 AM »
« Edited: September 20, 2022, 02:12:03 PM by FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦 »

I really hate the swarms coming from the HRE everytime I take provinces in Hungary
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 07:35:13 AM »

HP (Hilarious Polity)
Pacific Republican
An_Artist
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 07:37:06 AM »

The early part was good but then they got a bit too carried away with keeping the bloodline pure.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 07:52:33 AM »

FF, Rome was in every country before the Anglo Saxons Celts whom were Knights and King Arthur were employed by the Romans not the English alot of the Knights had Celt not Anglo Saxon names

The King Arthur Knights kept England away from Anglo Saxons but the incursion still came because the Norwegians are the Scotts,or the Vikings that spoke Celtic too

Eventually slavery came the Vikings started the slave triangle in Africa
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 10:54:37 AM »

Dreadfully boring, like most of German history
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 11:02:36 AM »
« Edited: September 20, 2022, 11:06:48 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

So, you don't realize King Arthur and the Celtic Knights were part of the Roman Empire King Arthur was Crowned King after Romans left England

We always look at Jesus Christ and Augustus Caesar but never look at Rome impact on England why do you think London is only part Celt and Ireland isn't the Viking mixed with the Celts in Ireland they are Celtics like in Scotland

Alot of the knights had Celtic not Anglo Saxon names McDonald it's on the History channel and the Vikings and Angli Saxons fully raided England and Vikings started the slave triangle in 1600 after Columbus

Why do you think they called it Celtic Knights they were strong like ancestors King Arthur  and Lady Gwen whom was also Celtic and Magician Merlin
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2022, 12:44:03 PM »

German = HE
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2022, 01:52:27 PM »

Both halves of this are about as wrong as is possible to be.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2022, 03:36:23 PM »

I think other than France, Germany probably has the most interesting History in Europe tbh
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2022, 09:54:15 PM »

Massive Freedom Empire.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2022, 09:58:52 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2022, 10:02:47 PM by Death, Taxes, and Voting on Kidney Dialysis »

I think other than France, Germany probably has the most interesting History in Europe tbh
Feel free to dunk on me, but I get the sense that most of German history is just a bunch of tiny principalities squabbling with each other over little things. I would be very interested in having this perception changed though.

Agree with France being the most interesting though. No contest there, from Martel to Charlemagne to Jeanne d'Arc to Henri IV to the philosophes to the Revolution to Napoleon to the alternating empires and republics to Petain to de Gaulle... France seems to be uniquely susceptible both to Great Men and to powerful social movements, and that makes its history really fascinating.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2022, 01:22:15 AM »

Courtesy of frequently playing as France in Europa Universalis II and also playing Versailles II: Testament of a King, I came away rather pro-French and rather anti-HRE.

More ambivalent now than anything.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2022, 02:59:35 AM »

Feel free to dunk on me, but I get the sense that most of German history is just a bunch of tiny principalities squabbling with each other over little things. I would be very interested in having this perception changed though.

Agree with France being the most interesting though. No contest there, from Martel to Charlemagne to Jeanne d'Arc to Henri IV to the philosophes to the Revolution to Napoleon to the alternating empires and republics to Petain to de Gaulle... France seems to be uniquely susceptible both to Great Men and to powerful social movements, and that makes its history really fascinating.

That's kind of the whole point with Germany, it was interesting due to the unique form of the Empire, the unique form of government that many of the empire's constituent territories had (Free Imperial Cities, Prince-Bishoprics, Principalities, etc), all the different princely and royal dynasties Germany had and provided to the rest of the World (like the Habsburgs, the Hohenzollerns, the Wittelsbachs, the Saxe-Cobourg-Gothas, etc), and After France probably provided Europe with its best historical architecture in my opinion (the Romanesque/Gothic Cathedrals, the city halls, the castles, etc).

France has to be the most interesting ofc, for all the reasons you mentioned and more. It had a very long Line of Kings, some who did great things, others less so. It was the most formidable power in Europe for centuries, and it was a hub of arts and culture (the greatest Gothic/Renaissance/Second Empire buildings, which are my favourite styles in that order, were mostly built in France; and France came UP with some of the greatest philosophers and thinkers in History). France's History goes back over 2000 years, hard to not find something interesting in there.

I'm very interested in British History (as that's my ancestry), but I don't think it really starts to compare go what you see on the continent until the Tudor Era imo.

I also have an interest in Belgian History as I used to live there, and it actually has a pretty interesting History despite its size and recent creation as a state.
Mr. Ukucasha
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2022, 07:02:51 PM »

Even excluding the Nazi-era, German history is already pretty interesting, but the Nazi-era is probably the single most interesting time period in history.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2022, 09:25:02 PM »

It was neither holy or Roman.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2023, 11:36:38 PM »

It was arguably both.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2023, 12:02:40 AM »

Ein garstig Lied! Pfui! Ein politisches Lied!
Ein leidig Lied! Dankt Gott mit jedem Morgen,
Daß ihr nicht braucht fürs Röm'sche Reich zu sorgen!
Ich halt es wenigstens für reichlichen Gewinn,
Daß ich nicht Kaiser oder Kanzler bin.
Doch muß auch uns ein Oberhaupt nicht fehlen;
Wir wollen einen Papst erwählen.
Ihr wißt, welch eine Qualität
Den Ausschlag gibt, den Mann erhöht.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2023, 12:20:05 AM »

Before someone pops in with the overused Voltaire quip, I would say it was one of the greatest polities of all time.

Voltaire was correct when he said it. It stopped being Holy, Roman, and an Empire in the 1600s.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2023, 11:38:46 AM »

Hard HE for promoting heresy and then bailing when everything had been broken.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2023, 07:07:18 PM »

Voltaire was correct when he said it. It stopped being Holy, Roman, and an Empire in the 1600s.

It arguably stopped being holy in the 1600s, but it was very much Roman and an Empire up until its collapse.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2023, 07:51:44 PM »

It arguably stopped being holy in the 1600s, but it was very much Roman and an Empire up until its collapse.

It was a confederacy that didn't include any of Italy.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2023, 08:17:20 PM »

It was a confederacy that didn't include any of Italy.

I mean, the Byzantine Empire didn’t include any of Italy either, and most people have no problem calling that polity “Roman.”
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2023, 05:30:00 AM »

It was far more complex than most people really think. As example while the empire had in many way stopped being a empire and become a more loose confederation in the north after 1648, with states, like Brandenburg-Prussia, Saxony, and Brunswick-Lüneburg (Hanover) having de facto become independent states, the empire was very much alive in regions like Swabia and Franconia until the end. There were also all the regions, where it was more complex.

The HRE can very much be described as a medieval state until 1618 and a state in slow decay after 1648, but with real attempt at reform. Of course what really killed the empire was the War of Austrian Succession, where the Austrians was forced to disconnect the civil administration of the Habsburg’s princely domains from that of the imperial administration, even through the Habsburg’s soon regained imperial power with the death of the Wittelsbach emperor, the administration of “Habsburgia” and the empire would never be rejoined.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies