Soldier who joined the army to kill black people was given top security clearance
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 12:37:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Soldier who joined the army to kill black people was given top security clearance
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Soldier who joined the army to kill black people was given top security clearance  (Read 678 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2022, 10:01:34 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/sep/08/us-military-killian-ryan-racism-social-media

A former paratrooper who allegedly enlisted in the army to become more proficient at killing Black people was given top security clearance despite ties to white supremacist organizations and Nazi ideology.

Killian Ryan was arrested on 26 August and charged with making a false statement on his army application for the secret security clearance, and then discharged on the same day for multiple drink-driving violations.

But the criminal investigation uncovered violent and racist remarks on multiple social media accounts, which had apparently eluded the agency which authorised his army credentials.

On one account, Ryan allegedly posted: “I serve for combat experience so I’m more proficient in killing n*****s.” Investigators found that Ryan registered some social media accounts with an email that included “naziace1488.”

FBI investigators found another account which had “been in contact with numerous accounts associated with racially motivated extremism”, according to reported court records. The account username referenced Sigurd – a figure in Norse mythology sometimes co-opted by white supremacists – and an email registered to the account referenced Nazi ideology.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 10:09:53 PM »

Our intelligence services need to keep an eye on this man. If he managed to win a security clearance through normal processes, then I trust the process by which he did it, but there's little doubt that this man is racist at the very least.
Security clearances can be revoked at any time.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 10:36:09 PM »

Can't spell "aryan" without "Killian Ryan".
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 10:37:49 PM »

This is why screening processes are so important. He certainly isn't the only person who has joined the armed forces for this reason, but unfortunately many like him slip through.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 11:01:20 PM »

A "Secret" level security clearance is not "top" in any way.  Every (normal) active duty person has a Secret level security clearance.  And the way it's worded might make someone assume he has a "Top Secret" security clearance, he did not.  And because nearly everyone has one, a "Secret" level security check isn't much more than a FBI background check.  They only dig into a person's background for the higher levels.

This is still a problem, and still a worthy story, just not as horrible as it looks on the surface.

<and this would have been a great Crane thread!  Too bad that coward was lacking a spine.>
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 02:06:29 AM »

The Democrats are the real threat to our military!

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2022, 06:37:52 PM »

A "Secret" level security clearance is not "top" in any way.  Every (normal) active duty person has a Secret level security clearance.  And the way it's worded might make someone assume he has a "Top Secret" security clearance, he did not.  And because nearly everyone has one, a "Secret" level security check isn't much more than a FBI background check.  They only dig into a person's background for the higher levels.

This is still a problem, and still a worthy story, just not as horrible as it looks on the surface.

<and this would have been a great Crane thread!  Too bad that coward was lacking a spine.>

Wait, just to be clear, you're saying everyone in the military write down to a buck private has a Secret level security clearance?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2022, 07:41:04 PM »

Wait, just to be clear, you're saying everyone in the military write down to a buck private has a Secret level security clearance?
Security clearances are kind of misunderstood. People immediately associate them with things like those documents that Trump is under investigation for having but it's usually just mundane stuff like the layout of military bases and where troops are deployed before this is publicly announced. I'm not familiar enough with the military to know if it's "everyone" but you can't even get access to most areas on military bases without a security clearance, and all civilian contractors that work on them require one. And even rank and file military members would receive information that would be classified even if it seems mundane, such as where troops are being deployed if they're included in this deployment, that would be a requirement.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2022, 11:37:39 PM »

not everyone, but most people do (or are in the process of getting one).  It's what keeps many (most?) people out of the military.  I can't find a good cite, but I found this.
Security clearances are different than access and need to know. Almost every enlistee into the military branches will have an entrance National Agency Check done on them that can ensure whether they can get a clearance up to Secret. If there's unfavorable information on those checks, it will be documented and the person will not qualify for a job using classified information. The person usually will know within a month or two if there is going to be a hold up on the regular processing.
there just isn't a lot of things that military does that doesn't, in some way or another, involve classified things.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2022, 12:27:30 AM »

not everyone, but most people do (or are in the process of getting one).  It's what keeps many (most?) people out of the military.  I can't find a good cite, but I found this.
Security clearances are different than access and need to know. Almost every enlistee into the military branches will have an entrance National Agency Check done on them that can ensure whether they can get a clearance up to Secret. If there's unfavorable information on those checks, it will be documented and the person will not qualify for a job using classified information. The person usually will know within a month or two if there is going to be a hold up on the regular processing.
there just isn't a lot of things that military does that doesn't, in some way or another, involve classified things.
Do you have a Secret clearance? I have a Public Trust (I know that's not really a clearance and it's also laughably easy to get.)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2022, 12:45:22 AM »

Secret would also include tons of federal civilian positions. It seems to be simply "can we trust you not to break/steal sh#t?" Incredibly banal.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2022, 12:54:21 AM »

Secret would also include tons of federal civilian positions. It seems to be simply "can we trust you not to break/steal sh#t?" Incredibly banal.
Probably at least 70% of American Atlas posters could get a Secret clearance. And the stuff that disqualifies you isn't what most people would expect. It's stuff like having too many person ties to a possibly unfriendly foreign country, excessive debt you might have trouble repaying, a serious criminal background, or continued use of illegal drugs. The last is probably the biggest, especially since marijuana in even legal states still counts since it's still federally illegal*.

*This is one of the reasons I haven't used "real" marijuana in years and only used hemp-derived products that are actually federally legal although I don't use even those anymore. Yes it still shows up on a drug test but I haven't had one since I got hired, and I actually gave myself an at home drug test this week and passed.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2022, 01:00:54 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2022, 01:49:48 AM by Post-Soviet-Posting »

A "Secret" level security clearance is not "top" in any way.  Every (normal) active duty person has a Secret level security clearance.  And the way it's worded might make someone assume he has a "Top Secret" security clearance, he did not.  And because nearly everyone has one, a "Secret" level security check isn't much more than a FBI background check.  They only dig into a person's background for the higher levels.

<and this would have been a great Crane thread!  Too bad that coward was lacking a spine.>

Probably at least 70% of American Atlas posters could get a Secret clearance. And the stuff that disqualifies you isn't what most people would expect. It's stuff like having too many person ties to a possibly unfriendly foreign country, excessive debt you might have trouble repaying, a serious criminal background, or continued use of illegal drugs. The last is probably the biggest, especially since marijuana in even legal states still counts since it's still federally illegal*.

*This is one of the reasons I haven't used "real" marijuana in years and only used hemp-derived products that are actually federally legal although I don't use even those anymore. Yes it still shows up on a drug test but I haven't had one since I got hired, and I actually gave myself an at home drug test this week and passed.

Hero.

It's funny how many people do not immediately intuit the state/federal distinction when I explain why I don't smoke.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2022, 01:07:32 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2022, 01:10:35 AM by (If only you knew half as much as you pretend to) »

Hero.

It's funny how many people do not immediately intuit the state/federal distinction when I explain why I don't smoke.
The "0.3% rule" is a pretty useful loophole for that if you want to try it although that's only if you're absolutely certain you won't get a drug test of course. Amusingly my sister-in-law who is actually a drug rehab counselor bought a THC seltzer from a local brewery when my brother and her were here for a Twins game a couple weeks ago because she was curious.

I stopped even that because it was causing some mood swings that had a pretty negative impact on me and just wasn't fun anymore. Maybe if First Avenue or some of the other music venues here start selling THC drinks like First Avenue has said they actually intend to do I'll get one when seeing a Christian band just for the irony factor.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2022, 04:09:13 AM »

Do you have a Secret clearance? I have a Public Trust (I know that's not really a clearance and it's also laughably easy to get.)
I have Top Secret with some extra letters I don't want to talk about.  I don't have access to cool stuff, but my job sometimes puts me in a position where the cool stuff is about.

(I am never comfortable talking about this stuff online for obvious reasons, though the govt got hacked a few years ago and so the Russians and the Chinese know I exist and my exact clearance level (and my SS number, address, etc) so it probably doesn't really matter that much anymore)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies