UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 07:14:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 202 203 204 [205] 206 207 208 209 210 ... 235
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 256188 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5100 on: December 21, 2023, 06:22:23 AM »

In very minor defection news, Andrew Bridgen has left Reclaim and is an independent MP again.  Reading his statement does not exactly make it clear why.

A falling out with Laurence Fox seems to be the most accepted explanation.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5101 on: December 22, 2023, 04:24:48 PM »

Another U-turn, really?
The Guardian: Starmer likely to shrink 28 billion pound green investment plan
The Guardian understands that Keir Starmer and Rachel Reeves will discuss the party’s flagship economic policy next month, with senior Labour figures pushing to drop the £28bn commitment entirely while others want to retain key elements of the plan.

Labour officials say they intend to keep central parts of their green policy, but want to recast them in a way that allows them to stop talking so much about what they cost, focusing instead on what the policies will achieve.

One insider said some were concerned about how a Labour government would grow the economy without the green plan, and whether it could be politically damaging for Starmer as it could leave him open to charges of “flip-flopping” by the Tories.

But they added: “There will be a pivot in the new year and the £28bn price tag as it exists now is unlikely to survive that. Whatever ultimately happens will be a further watering down of the position. This will be the Tories’ number one area of attack so they need to deal with it."

Any change in government will be a relief. A presentational change like a "Bringing Down Bills Act" could work, but undermining the policy is not smart.

However, what the public I think deep down want and need is someone who will deliver radical change and who shows credibility and confidence by just using whatever mandate they get. You could interpret Starmer's Thatcher comments to mean he thinks a Labour version of Thatcher's style of leadership is required, and I'd agree with that.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5102 on: December 22, 2023, 04:27:15 PM »

the uk should have it general election on the same day as the presidential election for memes

We haven't had a non-Thursday GE for over a century, sorry.

The same week, then.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5103 on: December 23, 2023, 05:48:33 AM »

Firstly, there is an actual Labour party thread on here Wink

Secondly, this one has been briefed (very likely by the same person) half a dozen times already, only to be walked back each time - so it looks very much like a "bouncing" operation.

What may happen, and far fewer would be against this, is something of a change in the framing.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5104 on: December 24, 2023, 02:38:37 PM »

What’s the likely month for the next general election
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #5105 on: December 24, 2023, 07:00:16 PM »

The assumptions are May or October - May has become the default month that confident governments would choose (aligns with the locals so shores them up; it’s the start of summer so people are more likely to be a bit optimistic; plus it gives them a period afterwards to kick off their agenda before the summer) and while that doesn’t apply here there’s a feeling they might try it as a bit of a Hail Mary especially if the migration stuff fails somewhere - I’d say unlikely but possible. More likely is October - gives them a few extra months to see if things turn around; but you aren’t deep enough into winter where campaigning is a pain. Parliament legally has to be dissolved by December and an election in late January but that is basically the last ditch option - but like everyone is depressed in January so I don’t see that happening.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5106 on: December 24, 2023, 07:17:50 PM »

From 1979 to 2017 every election was in April, May, or June.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5107 on: December 25, 2023, 12:57:01 AM »

Redirecting levelling up funding from Northern transport links, to flatter motorists in London?

Future political historians will have a *field day* with the political ramifications of the 2023 Uxbridge by-election.

The sheer number of deleted tweets from official departmental accounts in this thread really speaks to the acumen of Tory PR advisors.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5108 on: December 25, 2023, 09:32:41 AM »

Though before that, autumn/winter elections were quite common.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5109 on: December 25, 2023, 09:49:21 AM »

Though before that, autumn/winter elections were quite common.
How likely are we to see a return to the heyday of winter/autumn elections?  What would be the prerequisites for something in that direction to happen?
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #5110 on: December 25, 2023, 09:52:44 AM »

Redirecting levelling up funding from Northern transport links, to flatter motorists in London?

Future political historians will have a *field day* with the political ramifications of the 2023 Uxbridge by-election.

The sheer number of deleted tweets from official departmental accounts in this thread really speaks to the acumen of Tory PR advisors.

If they are from official accounts then theoretically it’ll be drafted by the Civil Service - although Ministers will clear things like this and SPADs will inevitably have thoughts so there’ll be a bit of Tory PR interest. It’s also why they are always quite awkward - it’s non-partisan officials trying to convey some often partisan views in as objective a way as possible - while they represent the government of the day that doesn’t mean they work for the Conservative Party and it’ll be the same people doing social media when Labour are in charge.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5111 on: December 25, 2023, 10:07:54 AM »

King Brian has a very distinct form of politics; a mix of old school liberalism but talks in a way we haven’t really seen since Rowan Williams.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5112 on: December 25, 2023, 10:47:50 AM »

King Brian has a very distinct form of politics; a mix of old school liberalism but talks in a way we haven’t really seen since Rowan Williams.

All indications are that his views are strikingly similar to Mountbatten's, which makes sense given everything.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #5113 on: December 26, 2023, 05:19:59 AM »

Happy Foxing Day, to all who celebrate:
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5114 on: December 26, 2023, 06:39:34 AM »

He will never live that down, and quite right too.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #5115 on: December 26, 2023, 07:53:48 AM »

And yet he emerged looking positively sensible against an utterly hysterical reaction. Those who hate him have a curious habit of ensuring that.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #5116 on: December 26, 2023, 09:24:59 AM »

Regardless of whether you agree with his political views, he's a deeply unpleasant individual and frankly a cancer on the legal system. I don't say this just because I like foxes (although they're such a pest round here), he's a self-centred preening prick with a laughable track record in cases. I don't think anyone in the M25 from either party actually likes him.

Anyway, I'd better calm down before I become Exhibit A for Eadmund's post above.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix

« Reply #5117 on: December 26, 2023, 10:17:51 AM »

Regardless of whether you agree with his political views, he's a deeply unpleasant individual and frankly a cancer on the legal system. I don't say this just because I like foxes (although they're such a pest round here), he's a self-centred preening prick with a laughable track record in cases. I don't think anyone in the M25 from either party actually likes him.

Anyway, I'd better calm down before I become Exhibit A for Eadmund's post above.

Oh, of course. I don't like the man. Every word Yuan Yi Zhu said was true if simultaneously hilariously ironic. I just find it utterly bizarre people obsessed--and four years on, continue to do so!--over how he did something that (from my experience, anyway, having grown up knowing a few) isn't uncommon among people who have pet chickens.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #5118 on: December 26, 2023, 02:06:55 PM »

Oh, of course. I don't like the man. Every word Yuan Yi Zhu said was true if simultaneously hilariously ironic. I just find it utterly bizarre people obsessed--and four years on, continue to do so!--over how he did something that (from my experience, anyway, having grown up knowing a few) isn't uncommon among people who have pet chickens.

I think it was more the fact he defined himself as a Guardian reading, before the phrase existed;  “tofu eating wokerati”. Yet seemed to revel in killing a fox, something that the majority of people (who don’t have chickens, rabbits etc) think is weird. Which is the sort of thing you’d expect a random back bench Tory to tweet about.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5119 on: December 26, 2023, 02:07:34 PM »

I think it was the kimono detail.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix

« Reply #5120 on: December 26, 2023, 02:58:28 PM »

I think it was more the fact he defined himself as a Guardian reading, before the phrase existed;  “tofu eating wokerati”. Yet seemed to revel in killing a fox, something that the majority of people (who don’t have chickens, rabbits etc) think is weird. Which is the sort of thing you’d expect a random back bench Tory to tweet about.

As someone who doesn't have chickens or rabbits I wouldn't say it's weird: foxes are pests with a habit of killing pets, and I assume that pet owners in general would step in to defend their pet from a fox, and if that fox were injured, struggling, and making horrendous noises of pain--which foxes do--would try to end its suffering as painlessly as possible. It's not nice, and not something to celebrate (and I do not see how his comment counts as that), but sometimes necessary.

If the majority of people would find it weird, then that would be remarkably hypocritical given the public willingness to kill rats and mice, neither of which have a habit of killing pets; I might add that glue traps were only banned in England last year, and all sorts of rodent poisons which take days to kill are still legal.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #5121 on: December 26, 2023, 03:26:27 PM »

Maybe it’s just that he comes off as naturally smug so anything he says comes off as a boast.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5122 on: December 26, 2023, 06:11:04 PM »

As someone who doesn't have chickens or rabbits I wouldn't say it's weird: foxes are pests with a habit of killing pets

In urban areas, they will happily rip open bin bags in search for food.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5123 on: December 27, 2023, 07:10:45 AM »

Budget on 6 March, which I think gives more weight to an April or May GE.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5124 on: December 27, 2023, 11:59:33 AM »

All indications are that his views are strikingly similar to Mountbatten's, which makes sense given everything.

Yes it’s weird that MB is written up as labour friendly in both histories of the 1940s and the 60s; despite the errrr long running rumours.

A fun game is to guess how members or the firm would have voted- believe Thatcher said the problem with the Queen was she was the type of person who votes SDP
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 202 203 204 [205] 206 207 208 209 210 ... 235  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies