UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:28:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 230
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 240585 times)
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: October 04, 2022, 04:17:31 PM »

We might even see another Christian Wakeford at this rate.
The unprecedented number of Conservative MPs attacking the budget does raise the prospect of this happening (the UK has one of the strongest party whips in a Western democracy, you don’t publicly state you might vote against your own budget without very serious misgivings).   
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #776 on: October 04, 2022, 04:54:10 PM »

What does the projected constituency map look like now?  😂😂

Using the Electoral Calculus swingometer, a simple, unweighted average of the last 10 polls listed on Wikipedia has the Tories getting 37 seats.

No way in hell it ends up that extreme, but under 150 is probably plausible.

Yeah, I think that the SNP as Official Opposition numbers are honestly a pipe dream, but under 150 is definitely likely imo. I think that the numbers somewhat underestimate the Lib Dems seats, but I’ve been wrong about that before.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #777 on: October 04, 2022, 05:08:41 PM »

Using the Electoral Calculus swingometer, a simple, unweighted average of the last 10 polls listed on Wikipedia has the Tories getting 37 seats.

Yeah, I think that the SNP as Official Opposition numbers are honestly a pipe dream, but under 150 is definitely likely imo. I think that the numbers somewhat underestimate the Lib Dems seats, but I’ve been wrong about that before.

Lib Dems could potentially overperform depending on what happens with tactical voting, but I'm not quite well-informed enough on British politics to wager as to whether or not that is actually likely.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #778 on: October 04, 2022, 05:23:34 PM »

Lib Dems could potentially overperform depending on what happens with tactical voting, but I'm not quite well-informed enough on British politics to wager as to whether or not that is actually likely.

I know that by-elections are not nearly as much of a national barometer in the UK as special elections in the US, but if we read the entrails from recent by-elections, with a grain of salt or otherwise, it does seem like the Lib Dems are finally regaining credibility as a tactical "anyone but the Tories" option in rural Southern and Welsh seats without much of a natural Labour vote.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #779 on: October 04, 2022, 05:57:24 PM »

I know that by-elections are not nearly as much of a national barometer in the UK as special elections in the US, but if we read the entrails from recent by-elections, with a grain of salt or otherwise, it does seem like the Lib Dems are finally regaining credibility as a tactical "anyone but the Tories" option in rural Southern and Welsh seats without much of a natural Labour vote.

That’s what my thinking is as well. I don’t think they’d pick up much in Wales (maybe Brecon and Radnorshire under the current boundaries), but definitely southern England as a whole. The Red Wall polling is pretty clear that it’s going to bounce back to Labour at this point, but we could see the Blue Wall crumble and that will be interesting to see polling from there (I know a pollster or two have surveyed that area more thoroughly, but not recently).
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #780 on: October 04, 2022, 06:45:42 PM »

Obviously Truss will lead Tories over cliff edge if she remains leader so to have any chance of winning, need change in leader.  But do people here think Tories have even an outside chance of winning with a new leader or are they finished?  It is almost feeling like people have decide they are ready for a Labour government.

Truss clearly cannot win an election at this point, but I wouldn't completely rule out the idea of another new leader changing things. Definitely not likely but not impossible either. British politics is very volatile at the moment and there's still two years on the clock.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #781 on: October 05, 2022, 02:23:43 AM »

We’ve reached the hilarious ‘threaten backbenchers’ with an election stage- it was funny when Boris did it when he was 10% behind in the polls. It would be hilarious for Truss to do it when she was 25% behind in the middle of a cost of living crisis.

Obviously Truss will lead Tories over cliff edge if she remains leader so to have any chance of winning, need change in leader.  But do people here think Tories have even an outside chance of winning with a new leader or are they finished?  It is almost feeling like people have decide they are ready for a Labour government.

Truss clearly cannot win an election at this point, but I wouldn't completely rule out the idea of another new leader changing things. Definitely not likely but not impossible either. British politics is very volatile at the moment and there's still two years on the clock.

The reason I’m more and more sceptical is I thought Truss would recover the Tories poll ratings, stop the parliamentary in-fighting (for at least a year) and just generally sand the edges off- but it’s been a complete disaster because the disease is in the blood of the party. I mean you collective responsibility has broken down already!
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #782 on: October 05, 2022, 03:24:58 AM »

That’s what my thinking is as well. I don’t think they’d pick up much in Wales (maybe Brecon and Radnorshire under the current boundaries), but definitely southern England as a whole. The Red Wall polling is pretty clear that it’s going to bounce back to Labour at this point, but we could see the Blue Wall crumble and that will be interesting to see polling from there (I know a pollster or two have surveyed that area more thoroughly, but not recently).

Despite a bad election in 2019, there were certainly quite positive trends for the Lib Dems in areas to the west of London. As a party they have been caught short by the last two elections being 'snap' and Brexit heavy. I think this time they are in contention in at least 15-20 seats higher than a simple setting would suggest if there was a snap election. If Truss goes to the very end and it's a rout? Easily more.
Property Representative of the Harold Holt Swimming Centre
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #783 on: October 05, 2022, 04:37:07 AM »

The latest masterplan.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #784 on: October 05, 2022, 04:41:54 AM »

As an aside, I don't think there's ever been a Conference of a major British political party quite like this. Even the really bad Labour Conferences - even 2019, even more in the 1970s and 80s than I'd care to mention; yes, even the one where Trade Union General Secretaries accused each other of being JACKELS from the podium, live on on national television - were not this bad. This is a shitshow for All Time.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #785 on: October 05, 2022, 04:52:34 AM »

As an aside, I don't think there's ever been a Conference of a major British political party quite like this. Even the really bad Labour Conferences - even 2019, even more in the 1970s and 80s than I'd care to mention; yes, even the one where Trade Union General Secretaries accused each other of being JACKELS from the podium, live on on national television - were not this bad. This is a shitshow for All Time.
Suella Braverman is like if one of the Labour activists currently relegated to The World Transformed somehow made their way on to the main conference stage.

One of the main points of a conference is to showcase your party, do the Tories really think that any of their current behaviour is making people want to vote for them?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #786 on: October 05, 2022, 05:19:00 AM »
« Edited: October 05, 2022, 05:32:12 AM by Torrain »

Truss' speech has been interrupted by anti-fracking Greenpeace protestors.

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #787 on: October 05, 2022, 05:24:24 AM »
« Edited: October 05, 2022, 08:46:33 AM by Torrain »

This is a petty point. But Truss is making a big deal about how she was the first PM to go to a comprehensive school, and made it into big applause line.

As someone who grew up very near Gordon Brown, I can assure you that his alma mater, Kirkcaldy High School, is a mid-level performing state school, and definitely a comprehensive, not a grammar school, as there are none up here.

Edit: it’s not as simple as that - see below.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #788 on: October 05, 2022, 05:36:06 AM »

Doesn’t she look tired?

Also she can’t read an autocue properly
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #789 on: October 05, 2022, 05:39:31 AM »

Pulaski

« Reply #790 on: October 05, 2022, 05:44:34 AM »

I compared Truss to Douglas-Home when she ascended, but she's outdone him. I honestly don't think we've seen a Prime Minister in modern history manage to make their leadership basically untenable in such a short period of time. May was pretty quick thanks to the poisoned chalice she inherited, but Truss has blown her record to smithereens.

I understand Starmer's overtures to the centre-ground - it's hardly an innovation - but I hope as Prime Minister he'll keep true to his Labour roots.
Pulaski

« Reply #791 on: October 05, 2022, 05:45:33 AM »

We might even see another Christian Wakeford at this rate.

Rats leaving a sunken ship deserve no lifeboats. Let them drown.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #792 on: October 05, 2022, 05:47:01 AM »

Truss has just finished up.

She had a whole section about how she's willing to make the hard choices, which rings just a tad hollow in the wake of the u-turns of the past 72 hours.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #793 on: October 05, 2022, 05:47:07 AM »
« Edited: October 05, 2022, 09:21:58 AM by CumbrianLefty »

This is a petty point. But Truss is making a big deal about how she was the first PM to go to a comprehensive school, and made it into big applause line.

As someone who grew up very near Gordon Brown, I can assure you that his alma mater, Kirkcaldy High School, is a mid-level performing state school, and definitely a comprehensive, not a grammar school, as there are none up here.

May as well apparently (slightly surprised me, but appears to be the case)

Truss also seems to think that Andy Street is the elected mayor of "Birmingham" - I'm sure the good folk of Wolverhampton, Walsall, West Bromwich and Dudley will be delighted Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #794 on: October 05, 2022, 05:52:59 AM »

Amazing lack of content, so much so that she kept repeating herself endlessly, even though it was not a long speech.
Pulaski

« Reply #795 on: October 05, 2022, 05:59:54 AM »

Amazing lack of content, so much so that she kept repeating herself endlessly, even though it was not a long speech.

Please tell me we got an update on those Beijing Pork markets.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #796 on: October 05, 2022, 06:03:38 AM »

One other wee snag. She implicated Labour as part of the anti-growth coalition. But then in the next paragraph, she ended a section with the device “we need growth, growth, growth”.

Which Starmer used, verbatim, in a Liverpool speech back in July:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-62292281
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #797 on: October 05, 2022, 06:07:30 AM »

Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #798 on: October 05, 2022, 06:40:15 AM »

Well, there is not much there anyway. Don't expect any dept from Liz Truss. She is just very shallow.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #799 on: October 05, 2022, 06:46:54 AM »

Did she decry anything as a "disgrace" this time?
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 230  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies