UK General Discussion: Rishecession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:31:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: Rishecession
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 230
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: Rishecession  (Read 241554 times)
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2022, 11:05:43 PM »

This might be embarrassing for the new PM.

That is the best thing she has ever said that i have heard.

(and even better than all nonsense keir starmer has ever said). This proofs to me that she actually is someone who cares.

Lol I hate the monarchy but there is more than enough evidence that Truss doesn't care about people.

What evidence? Your personal guts, the fact that she is a conservative?

Also, "i hate the monarchy but..." really doesn't sound like you hate the monarchy. The "but" indicates you don't care about it as an issue which at the end is the same as being in favour of the monarchy.

I strongly care about the issue, actually. I just think Truss's policies like not passing a windfall tax on new oil exploitation like the Norwegians did a couple decades back is proof that she doesn't care about working people.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2022, 11:11:07 PM »

(and even better than all nonsense keir starmer has ever said). This proofs to me that she actually is someone who cares.

Lol I hate the monarchy but there is more than enough evidence that Truss doesn't care about people.

Also, "i hate the monarchy but..." really doesn't sound like you hate the monarchy. The "but" indicates you don't care about it as an issue which at the end is the same as being in favour of the monarchy.

I strongly care about the issue, actually. I just think Truss's policies like not passing a windfall tax on new oil exploitation like the Norwegians did a couple decades back is proof that she doesn't care about working people.

Few nations have a windfall tax. Labor had power for longer than a decade and never passed a windfall tax on energy companies too.

I strongly agree with windfall taxes, but as of now few European nations have done it in this crisis so far, because we're all neoliberal and support neoliberal policies, and all don't give a damn.

The only one in the UK i would trust doing a windfall tax right now is Corbyn, the most hated man on this forum and esp. by you lol.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2022, 02:07:00 AM »

Wait, so how many affairs has she had, that we know of?  She had one with Mark Field in 2004-05 when he was an MP but she wasn't yet.  And now rumors with Kwasi Kwarteng.  Who else?

So, what you are suggesting is that Truss likes bbc, just not the BBC?
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2022, 03:06:27 AM »

Truss, incidentally, is still a republican if the 'kissing hands' photo is anything to go by.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2022, 04:40:31 AM »

Few nations have a windfall tax. Labor had power for longer than a decade and never passed a windfall tax on energy companies too.

I strongly agree with windfall taxes, but as of now few European nations have done it in this crisis so far, because we're all neoliberal and support neoliberal policies, and all don't give a damn.

The only one in the UK i would trust doing a windfall tax right now is Corbyn, the most hated man on this forum and esp. by you lol.

Labour literally came to power in 1997 on a promise (which was kept) of instituting a windfall tax and are calling for one now. And it is a very popular policy.

Is there anything else you would like to be entirely wrong on?
Logical

« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2022, 04:41:26 AM »

Y'all just hate a sexually active #girlboss
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2022, 04:48:44 AM »

Labour literally came to power in 1997 on a promise (which was kept) of instituting a windfall tax and are calling for one now. And it is a very popular policy.

From what i've read, those two "windfall taxes" aren't the same thing.

This is specifically a proposed windfall tax towards gas & oil companies

which btw surprise, surprise, i support.

But many center-left parties in EU are against, because basically no-one has enacted a windfall tax on gas & energy companies, even countries that have center left parties in the government. Most have been like "you can only do these policies on the EU level, while nothing happens on the EU level as usual, since there is always 1 country that will be against, if 28 have to vote".
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2022, 04:56:34 AM »

The traditional left vs right divide was unusually clear in PMQs, it was refreshing to see actually. I think the Tories have made a big mistake by just going back to repeating Thatcherite talking points that will be out of date in 2024. Boris did a good job for two years of pretending to care about levelling up though the cracks were showing because he did not have the competence to actually deliver in a way that satisfied either his northern or southern voters.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2022, 05:06:08 AM »

...someone who left the Lib Dems because they weren't approved as a candidate fast enough.

Oh is that why she defected when she did? I had always wondered what on Earth was behind that: not many people joined the Conservative Party after being a member of a different party in 1996 of all years!

The story as I heard it was that the panel told her to make a few improvements and come back, and shortly afterwards she left. Not impossible she could've ended up MP for Leeds North West and (completely ignoring all the other changes it would have caused) in the place of Jo Swinson come 2019, thinking about it.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2022, 05:26:30 AM »

...someone who left the Lib Dems because they weren't approved as a candidate fast enough.

Oh is that why she defected when she did? I had always wondered what on Earth was behind that: not many people joined the Conservative Party after being a member of a different party in 1996 of all years!

The story as I heard it was that the panel told her to make a few improvements and come back, and shortly afterwards she left. Not impossible she could've ended up MP for Leeds North West and (completely ignoring all the other changes it would have caused) in the place of Jo Swinson come 2019, thinking about it.

It wouldn't have been much different if she was.
"The more voters see of Liz Truss the less they like her"
"Has familiarity of Jo Swinson bred contempt?"

At least Truss happened to be in the party that was already in government and so actually be Prime Minister for a bit.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2022, 05:43:33 AM »

That’s a fascinating hypothetical - wonder how she would have done in the 2017 election, and if she survived that, 2019. Would she have warmed to the coalition? Or attacked if from the left?

Would she have been the natural Swinson replacement, or accepted a ministerial role in the coalition, and been turfed out when the Lib Dems imploded?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2022, 05:56:12 AM »

What's interesting is that if she wasn't a Tory, replaying the old conference 'abolish the monarchy' clips etc would have been news for weeks. The right wing press are happy to protect her.

I'm interested if she ever attended a CND demo at the same time as Sturgeon.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2022, 06:04:40 AM »

From what i've read, those two "windfall taxes" aren't the same thing.

This is specifically a proposed windfall tax towards gas & oil companies

which btw surprise, surprise, i support.

But many center-left parties in EU are against, because basically no-one has enacted a windfall tax on gas & energy companies, even countries that have center left parties in the government. Most have been like "you can only do these policies on the EU level, while nothing happens on the EU level as usual, since there is always 1 country that will be against, if 28 have to vote".

The UK isn't in the EU, so I'm not sure what your point was.

Sunak instituted a windfall tax on oil and gas producer profits this year, but undercut it by effectively writing it off if businesses committed to investment in exploration (that they were already going to do.) The Labour policy was to cancel that tax break and increase the windfall tax.

In terms of revenue it's a small part of the cost of a price cap (because the North Sea reserves aren't great, wishful thinking notwithstanding.) But the politics of windfall taxes in the UK are not the same as in the EU.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2022, 06:47:42 AM »
« Edited: September 08, 2022, 06:51:16 AM by Torrain »

Buckingham Palace have released this statement to the press:
Following further evaluation this morning, The Queen’s doctors are concerned for Her Majesty’s health and have recommended she remain under medical supervision.

The Queen remains comfortable and at Balmoral.

Edit: Clarence House have also announced that Charles, Camilla and William are en-route to Balmoral.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2022, 06:52:38 AM »

Yes.

It does sound serious. Gauging by the reactions in the Commons and the family heading north.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2022, 07:02:34 AM »

The statement, particularly the 'concerned about her health' bit, sounds very similar to what is part of the official procedure when it's about to happen. When George VI was about to go, for example, something like that was said. It's also worth noting perhaps that the Palace doesn't usually speak in such tones regarding the health of the Queen or any senior Royals, as I think has been said on here.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2022, 07:10:08 AM »

If she does pass away at Balmoral, it does complicate the days after. The understanding is she is taken to Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh to lie in state. Then the body is taken to the Castle with a small service at St Giles' before the body is returned to London. Preferably by train (which is risky) but most likely plane to be received.

Edinburgh is a much... harder city to 'rush' to and perhaps easier to control crowds than in London.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2022, 07:14:22 AM »

The statement, particularly the 'concerned about her health' bit, sounds very similar to what is part of the official procedure when it's about to happen. When George VI was about to go, for example, something like that was said. It's also worth noting perhaps that the Palace doesn't usually speak in such tones regarding the health of the Queen or any senior Royals, as I think has been said on here.

Just a few days ago she was still able to meet both Johnson and Truss, even if at Balmoral.

So its a pretty rapid turn for the worse if the general current impression is correct.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2022, 07:15:28 AM »

Yeah - they didn’t even confirm she had COVID for a couple of days, if I remember correctly. It’s the sort of statement you only release as a pre-amble to a significant development.

The BBC News operation seems to be bracing for an announcement. The sign language interpreter is in all black. The presenters are still wearing coloured ties, but the male presenters are in matching black suit jackets. They’re mostly running stock footage from the Jubilee, but the background shots of the studio are far busier than is typical at this time of day.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2022, 07:15:36 AM »

That was George V, I believe. George VI, while in very bad health, died in his sleep at Sandringham, with Elizabeth and Philip in Kenya at the time.
ibagli
United States

« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2022, 07:21:42 AM »

Even before the very grave statement was issued, the cancellation of the Privy Council meeting was pretty concerning. That's definitely what the Palace had been calling "light duties" recently; it would have been a video engagement where all she had to say was "approved."
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2022, 07:26:07 AM »

Already choked up at the thought of her passing. I hope she is comfortable and surrounded by her family soon.

I agree, I can’t imagine they would release such a grave statement unless they believed something was imminent.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2022, 07:29:55 AM »

Whenever it happens, it will truly be the end of an era.

She is the only monarch most British people have lived under (and still more, actually remember)
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2022, 07:31:26 AM »

The graphics on the BBC are quite ominous and there's a lack of "get well soon" or anything similar in the statements from various quarters.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #99 on: September 08, 2022, 07:33:24 AM »

Yeah, even if it doesn't happen today or tomorrow we are being mentally prepared.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 230  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies