Will Republicans become more moderate on abortion if 2022 goes poorly for them?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 07:49:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will Republicans become more moderate on abortion if 2022 goes poorly for them?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Will Republicans become more moderate on abortion if 2022 goes poorly for them?
Yes

No

The party will push for it, but the base will reject it

The base will push for it, but the party will reject it

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Author Topic: Will Republicans become more moderate on abortion if 2022 goes poorly for them?  (Read 1701 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2022, 09:58:14 AM »

Dems had to lose many elections before correcting course in the 1990s. Republicans don’t even accept that they’ve lost an election.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2022, 12:24:07 PM »

When have Republicans become more “moderate” on anything, recently?

On a good deal actually:

1. As much as people mock me on this , they absolutely have become more moderate on LGBT issues compared to 10 let alone 20 years ago

2. The GOP is more liberal when it comes to marijuana issues than they were 15-20 years ago (15-20 years ago a GOP admin wouldn’t have tolerate a state legalizing marijuana)

3. The GOP has moved back into becoming more realpolitik on foreign policy which is arguably more moderate than neo conservativism

4. Overall the GOP is still more moderate on economics than they were from 2010-2015 though more right wing than they were pre 2010

Since I’m talking about the party apparatus and not base voters…

1. They mostly sidelined the issue since they recognized that opposing it was a losing battle, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that they wouldn’t try to limit LGBTQ rights if they thought they could get away with it.

2. Perhaps some have, but many still seem opposed to legalization of pot.

3. I really have not seen any meaningful change in the GOP when it comes to actual policy here. Sure, there are some bits of rhetoric here and there, but Biden has uronically been much more “dovish” than Trump.

4. I can’t think of any example that backs this up. With Trump’s tax cuts, staunch opposition to corporate taxes, as well as opposition to the COVID stimulus when it was Biden trying to pass it.

1. I mean can you think of even 1 republican who votes for gay marriage in 2010 let alone 47

2. Oh sure they aren’t in support of marijuana legalization but still are way less pro war on drugs now

3. I mean under Trump we really didn’t get directly involved in any new long term interventions

4. Well Republicans worked with Biden on legislation like BIF and CHIPs while it’s hard for me too see the Obama era GOP doing the same .
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2022, 03:55:41 PM »

They will try to never talk about this issue and probably no effort IS going to be done at the federal level to ban it.

However there will be so many ugly stories at the.local level that are not going to make this issue go away.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2022, 04:26:05 PM »

Reading this thread has made me wonder: how many election cycles for the next few years will be turned on their head by the Supreme Court issuing drastically unpopular, reactionary rulings on high-salience issues?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2022, 06:51:54 PM »

Reading this thread has made me wonder: how many election cycles for the next few years will be turned on their head by the Supreme Court issuing drastically unpopular, reactionary rulings on high-salience issues?

Possibly every year until the majority is finally reversed. It would depend on what exactly is ruled on, of course.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies