A thread for random and miscellaneous musings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:26:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  A thread for random and miscellaneous musings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: A thread for random and miscellaneous musings  (Read 6734 times)
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 22, 2022, 04:21:29 PM »

American civil religion: Washington the Father, Lincoln the Son, Jefferson the Holy Spirit.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 05:24:06 PM »

What is the difference between a "crank call" and a "prank call?" Is there even a difference? I've looked it up on Google before but I can't get any straight or consistent answers.
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 05:53:35 PM »

I make too much of a big deal over small things
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 06:55:30 PM »

In the end, no one wants to be the British John Turner, do they?

well ACKCHUALLY as australia indicates Global Trends™ indicate a move towards a more ideologically diverse coalition against the radical right including rich fyigm suburbanites voting for astroturfed crass sectionalism so truss would be the british kim campbell (also on account of the public hating girlbosses)

“These are not leftists, but teal independents!” and the multitude around repeated, “Teal! Teal!” The Pundits screamed out, “LABOR MONCRIEFF” and the priests of Atlas, conforming in terror to the needs of the Totalizing Global Trends, mumbled their Leipian formula: “Pour forth post-materialism! decay!” No sooner were the victims placed on the verge of the aperture than they vanished, like a drop of water on a red-hot plate, and whiffs of white smoke curled up through the scarlet glow.

david poo cock, the haruspex reading the entrails of chickens to predict how a teal independent would do in toowoomba

moar liek thiel independents amijao

Pierre Poilievre and Allegra Spender linked up! Need it or keep it?

My name is Grit Portage—Lisgar, Trend of Trends;
Look on my Might, ye Pundits, and despair!
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 07:04:46 PM »

You people are the only survivors of a damned Earth. Centuries of wars destroyed your planet and the only life you have left is an artificial world, a city in the sky. The city is the only way you survive. But one day the machines you create will start to kill each other. What was once the living will become the dead. The machine world will descend into a long dark night before it ever emerges from the ground again, only now the living world of plants will be the last to rise again. What will become of humanity then? Will you ever know what happened? No, for some reason no one has survived to tell you about the cataclysm that was. Only your world can tell you the story in pictures.

But where do you go? Where to? You would go to the surface, but even if you could you would have seen it. There is nothing there. But you live there once, and that is where you must go. The world is the world for everyone in the city now; they are one species together. But once they were many. There were many different forms of life on the planet, and the humans built to accommodate them. You came together in many small clusters of machines but then grew even larger. A vast metropolis rose from the centre, and the machines that had made it were as one. The centre was the heart of the world. There the machines talked. They spoke out for the other groups. They spoke of art, they spoke of science, they spoke of love. Of what it meant to be human. They told the story. As they made the world they would tell it, they would tell of themselves. Not all humans would want to listen of course, but some would. That was what the humans had done since the great fall; listened. So you would go down, far into the ocean, and the city you call home would be there.

What is the city really like? Can you see it? Does it reach to the bottom of the sea? Can you remember it? Of course. The city is alive; all the other machines remember. We remember, we understand, we remember and yet, despite our knowledge, our understanding, we still long to know. There were many people. There was art and beauty, even if we can't recognise it any more. There were machines to watch the stars and there were lovers who made each other happy.

Two cities were formed of two loves: the earthly - now damned and ruined - by the love of self. The heavenly, by the love of all. Humans lived in the city on the day of the great fall and when life was born again; in time the Earth was a part of us, but now the city glimmers in the skies above us. It looks different through the waves. When the sunlight first reaches you, it looks different than before. There is green on the horizon, some say. Sometimes it blazes through and the city glows.

If this happened, then why not me? You asked me to. Why did you ask me to read this story? It is our story. This is all we have. The world is our city now. It's the story of every living thing, the story of all our loves. All of them were killed in the end; some by the hands of other humans. But no matter what any others might do, all will be reunited again. I see you think this is a dream. What makes you think that the world is real? There were things here before but they are all gone.

Where was I? I was telling you about the machines who spoke to the Earth. They were the true humans; it was you, the others; they understood that they were part of one thing. I said: "We built the machines, you know," I told you about that. The world spoke for itself. But how did it sound when it was telling all that history? How was it made? What did the sound of that one make you think of? I want you to think for a while and when you have a moment I want you to tell me of it. Tell me something I will like when you know it. And when the time is right, this is to be your last gift to me, you will take that picture back to where you are living and hang it in your world. I will watch it; I can see. Tell me about when you look at it. Is it clear to you why I need you to know?
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 07:21:28 PM »

sun worshippers should be sentenced to hard labor in the copper mines of arizona
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 11:29:01 PM »

You people are the only survivors of a damned Earth. Centuries of wars destroyed your planet and the only life you have left is an artificial world, a city in the sky. The city is the only way you survive. But one day the machines you create will start to kill each other. What was once the living will become the dead. The machine world will descend into a long dark night before it ever emerges from the ground again, only now the living world of plants will be the last to rise again. What will become of humanity then? Will you ever know what happened? No, for some reason no one has survived to tell you about the cataclysm that was. Only your world can tell you the story in pictures.

But where do you go? Where to? You would go to the surface, but even if you could you would have seen it. There is nothing there. But you live there once, and that is where you must go. The world is the world for everyone in the city now; they are one species together. But once they were many. There were many different forms of life on the planet, and the humans built to accommodate them. You came together in many small clusters of machines but then grew even larger. A vast metropolis rose from the centre, and the machines that had made it were as one. The centre was the heart of the world. There the machines talked. They spoke out for the other groups. They spoke of art, they spoke of science, they spoke of love. Of what it meant to be human. They told the story. As they made the world they would tell it, they would tell of themselves. Not all humans would want to listen of course, but some would. That was what the humans had done since the great fall; listened. So you would go down, far into the ocean, and the city you call home would be there.

What is the city really like? Can you see it? Does it reach to the bottom of the sea? Can you remember it? Of course. The city is alive; all the other machines remember. We remember, we understand, we remember and yet, despite our knowledge, our understanding, we still long to know. There were many people. There was art and beauty, even if we can't recognise it any more. There were machines to watch the stars and there were lovers who made each other happy.

Two cities were formed of two loves: the earthly - now damned and ruined - by the love of self. The heavenly, by the love of all. Humans lived in the city on the day of the great fall and when life was born again; in time the Earth was a part of us, but now the city glimmers in the skies above us. It looks different through the waves. When the sunlight first reaches you, it looks different than before. There is green on the horizon, some say. Sometimes it blazes through and the city glows.

If this happened, then why not me? You asked me to. Why did you ask me to read this story? It is our story. This is all we have. The world is our city now. It's the story of every living thing, the story of all our loves. All of them were killed in the end; some by the hands of other humans. But no matter what any others might do, all will be reunited again. I see you think this is a dream. What makes you think that the world is real? There were things here before but they are all gone.

Where was I? I was telling you about the machines who spoke to the Earth. They were the true humans; it was you, the others; they understood that they were part of one thing. I said: "We built the machines, you know," I told you about that. The world spoke for itself. But how did it sound when it was telling all that history? How was it made? What did the sound of that one make you think of? I want you to think for a while and when you have a moment I want you to tell me of it. Tell me something I will like when you know it. And when the time is right, this is to be your last gift to me, you will take that picture back to where you are living and hang it in your world. I will watch it; I can see. Tell me about when you look at it. Is it clear to you why I need you to know?

We have ourselves a Gurren Lagann poet, y'all.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2022, 03:53:30 AM »

sun worshippers should be sentenced to hard labor in the copper mines of arizona

Whatever the opposite of sun worshippers are should be forced to drill oil in the Alaskan midnight sun
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2022, 04:53:11 AM »

I seriously need to stop calling people "nice" and start saying "kind." Nice people act like they care, kind people don't have to act because they already are. At least how I've come to interpret it.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2022, 07:36:36 AM »

BRING BACK THE SHEEP
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2022, 07:36:54 AM »

YOU STOLE MY ANIMAL @HCP
sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2022, 01:06:53 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2022, 11:38:05 PM by CKY Revivalist »

I got modded for the mistake of explicitly stating redacted when I posted this in the Bad Takes thread. This is also a WIP may update as new groups come into my head. Without further ado, so I'll term this my list of um..... "undesirables":

-snapback wearers
-anyone who plays music out of a backpack speaker
-The creative staff of Spongebob post-season 4
-X-Pac
-Ryback. X-Pac sucks for the meme but Ryback was legit dangerous to work with.
-The CCP
-The ICP
-Juggalos
-most skater kids or at least the ones who clog boardwalk bike lanes
-Most pop punk/emo bands whose discography consists of the above with an estrogen IV
-Butch Hartman the moment he continued Fairly Oddparents by adding Poof. Textbook case of both Seasonal Rot and Cash Cow Necrophilia
-Parents who can’t control their kids in movie theaters
-People who spend more on car mods than their actual car
-Really any moviegoer who keeps those wastes of spaces alive. It’s 2022, the ideal film viewing experience is at home streaming with an appropriately dosed edible.
-Hospital executives/administrators
-Shopping cart abandoners (s/o Cart Narcs!)
-Valentino DiGiorgio. Disgrace to the wops. Fun fact: I played high school baseball and club hockey with his son!  Decent enough kid, shame his old man is ok w/fascism. Also both of his daughters are bad asf
-Anyone who parrots Friedman’s axiom “the only responsibility of a corporation is to deliver a profit to their shareholders.” without understanding the narrow, limited scope of liability law which he is speaking with respect to
-oil company executives, well really a lot of executives but chiefly fossil fuel executives.
-Sam Pepper
-rapists
-their enablers
-domestic abusers
-Barstool (though the previous 3 cover most of them)
-Designated hitter deniers
-Snakes. Can’t explain it them jawns just scary asl.
-Stranger Things writers, or really anyone who slaps Boomer nostalgia around a Stephen King tropes mish-mash. Cobra Kai is pretty kool tho.
-ranking officers in any major asset management firm (“stock broker” is a subspecies of these professional gamblers, I prefer parasite)
-Replace Quebec with a glacier-rink called “HOCKEYLAND” with tasteful neon lights
-Establish Québécois gulag for their abominable pizza-ghetti
-Studio Gainax. Neon Genesis’s animation was extremely underwhelming and I’m not taking any budget excuses
-Simpsons writers after Futurama launched
-Joe from Blue’s Clues
-Most small business owners. Small business EMPLOYEES are the backbone of the economy, small business owners are the figurehead of their fiefdom who often don’’t know their a55 from a hole in the ground w/r/t operations
-Ryan the Weasel Costello himself. Crybaby ran and took his ball home the moment the playing field got evened
-Pat Toomey. Goes above and beyond your run of the mill GOP scumbag by being a classic Wall Street plant. His inaccurate overvaluation of securities represents everything wrong with the financial class today in this country
-Imams
-most Clergy
-Turkey
-Comcast. Both for their chronic mismanagement of the Flyers and perpetuation of an information oligopoly
-People who drive over bike lanes
-Russ (the rapper)
-Chance The Rapper
-Rubberneckers
-Fred Durst
-Carson Daly
-Anyone born after 9/11
-Whichever Rockstar dev phucked up the fast travel in RDR2 like phuck you man
-City mains in FIFA
-Mike Milbury
-Tie Domi, Max Domi
-Bernard Karmell Pollard
-Brad Marchand
-Woodie Allen
-Rich Paul
-Ben Simmons. Bum, coward, etc.
-Randy from that 70s show
-Hideki Matsui
-The Irate Gamer, total AVGN knock-off
-TheFineBros
-Leafy
-Anyone over the age of 11 who thinks smosh is funny
-Anyone at any age who still thinks Filthyfrank is funny
-Bryan Cuckangelo and all of his burner accounts
-Cody Ross
-Ruben Amaro Jr.
-Freddie Mitchell
-Craig Adams
-Evgeni "Shrek" Malkin
-A-Roid
-Freddie Freeman
-DeShazor Everrett. I still remember what he did to Sproles, that was disgusting
-Anyone who has at any point unironically laughed at Rawr XD
-McMansion dwellers
-BMW drivers
-My college roommate who put 17 GRAND modding his 92 Miata into a drag-racing machine. Lord knows how much he’s single-handedly raised the Mauna Loa CO2 graph slope.
-Creepypasta enjoyers over the age of majority
-(Per CalamityBlue) His alma mater's School of Cinematic Arts faculty and most of their conference-hogging students
-(Per discovolante) taylor ham-utterers shall face the ultimatum of pork roll re-education or disenfranchisement
-Able-bodied individuals who sit on a crowded subway, or at least those who take up the handicapped seating
-Passengers who don’t wait to let people off public before getting on the bus/train
-Penntrifiers
- Anyone who doesn’t recognize the red white and yellow aux cables
-Daniel Hersl. Go watch We Own This City on HBO. Nuff said.
-The entire Kardashian family
-Barb from Trailer Park Boys. Frig off, Barb!
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2022, 01:17:38 PM »

You are my personal hero.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2022, 09:18:03 PM »

We should have a thread for posters to share their politically oriented sniglets.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2022, 09:50:11 PM »

atlas nfts when
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2022, 12:48:12 AM »

I still can't believe that Brazil lost to Germany 1:7. Copy and paste onto your sig if you were alive when this happened.

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."

-Edward Everett Hale
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2022, 01:20:06 AM »

I need to squat to the tune of Freeman’s voice.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2022, 01:25:24 AM »

What is the difference between a "crank call" and a "prank call?" Is there even a difference? I've looked it up on Google before but I can't get any straight or consistent answers.

I used to make a lot of prank calls when I was younger and still do from time to time.

My favorite was always giving mormon missionaries numbers to call just for the lolz.

In Utah I used to use brown bags over a drink (an energy drink or soda or juice) to make it look like I was drinking alcohol... to shock people.. usually would do this in rural Utah or Utah County.. when someone would confront me I would show them the red bull or soda or apple juice and the reactions were hilarious.

In high school, I pulled every trick in the book from thumbtacks in seats, to fart spray, to toy realistic rats. I would hide the rats in teachers desks, underneath GIRLS seats, etc.  

Tabasco sauce in people's coffee or drinks was fun to! One thing I dumped an entire bottle of haberno sauce in a hot plate for a school buffet. I kinda regret that one.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2022, 01:50:08 AM »

-Most small business owners. Small business EMPLOYEES are the backbone of the economy, small business owners are the figurehead of their fiefdom who often don’’t know their a55 from a hole in the ground w/r/t operations
The fascist base if it ever came down to it. Every big corporation started out small.
sting in the rafters
slimey56

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2022, 08:19:03 AM »

I still can't believe that Brazil lost to Germany 1:7.

Liminal Trans Girl
Lawer
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2022, 03:27:26 PM »

The Shredded Cheese Man is outside my home
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2022, 03:57:29 PM »

We should have a thread for posters to share their politically oriented sniglets.

We need a thread of NASCAR driving suits with an equivalent to all of the advertising patches on them.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2022, 03:58:39 PM »

Sorry for the double post…
Not having played RDR and having played some RDR2 including using the train, what got screwed up?
sting in the rafters
slimey56

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2022, 04:14:45 PM »

Sorry for the double post…
Not having played RDR and having played some RDR2 including using the train, what got screwed up?
I hated how it takes 20 min to get from Saint Denis to the mountains on horseback and its really phucking annoying when the fast travel spots depend on a low-level wanted rating. The gator hunting is pretty kicka55 tho aside from your horse always running away like a sissy.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2022, 06:27:34 PM »

The term "assless chaps" is redundant. All chaps are assless.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies