What would it take for the GOP to dump Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 06:58:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: What would it take for the GOP to dump Trump?  (Read 1850 times)
MiddleRoad
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2022, 06:06:46 PM »

After the August 8th raid, I am done with Trump. He is an albatross around the neck of the GOP and an millstone to the cause of national unity. He continues to show no humility or appreciation for the continued harm he is causing to the country, or that which he has done.

I am not even referring here to January 6th or even to whatever documents he was holding, I am referring to the deep and toxic divide in our nation. Think of:

All the ruined friendships / relationships he has caused

All the division in this country

All the violence (beyond Jan 6th) his rhetoric has caused

He has become beyond sad, it is an obscenity which I can no longer in good conscience support. He will only cause the destruction of the Republican Party as an effective political party. He is nothing but an immoral albatross whose only interest is himself, at this point

Even Nixon had the humility to accept when it was over, pack his bags, and get out. And he did so with Grace, and served his country for the remainder of his years honorably.

This man, whom I fervently supported in 2016 and 2020, he will not do that. He seems to utterly lack humility.

That being said, how can the rest of the GOP be made to wake up and see the same? Not just the voters, I mean the public figured that are circling the wagons around him.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 06:08:58 PM »

I’m proud of you. I don’t think the GOP as a whole will abandon him within his lifetime and most likely not for decades. If Access Hollywood and January 6 didn’t, I don’t think this investigation will either.
MiddleRoad
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 06:16:50 PM »

I’m proud of you. I don’t think the GOP as a whole will abandon him within his lifetime and most likely not for decades. If Access Hollywood and January 6 didn’t, I don’t think this investigation will either.

The word that keeps going through my mind is “obscenity”, that’s why I made my thread earlier. I do not particularly want to set the precedent for former presidents to be prosecuted (because it will be used against others in the future), I just want him to go away, hence my idea of a conditional amnesty which would literally blot him off the political scene.

I just want him to go away, go back to his companies and his self promotion and whatever else he was up to in 2015, and let us get back to some sense of normalcy. I don’t really want the man to die in prison. I am absolutely fine with him doing whatever crap he was doing beforehand. But…just go away. Leave the political stage.

He’s caused almost as much division in this country as an actual civil war would. All the thousands of people who no longer speak to each other because of one man. So many people I alone am aware of who severed lifelong friendships over him.

He is not worth it, no one man is.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 06:22:46 PM »

I do want to set the precedent that former presidents can be prosecuted. Why should they be exempt? Nixon should have been prosecuted. Multiple healthy democracies have prosecuted and convicted former presidents.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2022, 06:40:03 PM »

The path forward for Trumpism is not for it to go extinct but for it to evolve into DeSantism. If the party cannot evolve it's going to be a constant albatross down Republican candidates' necks. The main argument for DeSantis to make is that Trump's incompetence and ego held the MAGA movement back and caused him to lose most of his battles.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2022, 06:42:48 PM »

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2022, 06:45:39 PM »

Ronald Dion DeSantis
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2022, 06:48:46 PM »

They will dump him as soon as he is seen as a liability for them. The GOP never loved Trump. What they loved was winning and they stuck with him through thick and thin as long as they thought he could deliver that. The moment they stop thinking that, he's done.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2022, 06:53:10 PM »

They will dump him as soon as he is seen as a liability for them. The GOP never loved Trump. What they loved was winning and they stuck with him through thick and thin as long as they thought he could deliver that. The moment they stop thinking that, he's done.

Then they should have dumped him after the Georgia runoffs.
MiddleRoad
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2022, 06:55:04 PM »

I do not believe he is the way forward. I think he is the next Goldwater, meaning in terms of electability, not influence.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2022, 07:08:03 PM »

A landslide loss in Nov, the D's are overperformed in the polls so it's likely we hold onto the Sen, Eric Trump says he need an R Congress and MI, WI and PA Govs in order to get elected Prez he didn't say the Rs need to just win the H Eric Trump said both Houses of Congress

Rs are only ahead 8 pts in OK and Abbott is only 6 pts ahead in TX that's embarrassing in this Environment you can interpret that TX Gov as good news he isn't down by 10 Beto but it's wave insurance
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2022, 07:17:32 PM »

I don't think so anymore. The problem is that a lot of these people have incorporated Trump into their identity. Dumping Trump is like dumping themselves.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2022, 07:24:41 PM »

Trump joining ISIS might put a dent
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2022, 07:47:57 PM »

For him to die.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2022, 07:48:57 PM »

I don't think so anymore. The problem is that a lot of these people have incorporated Trump into their identity. Dumping Trump is like dumping themselves.

We're talking about the party as a whole, not the Trump base. The problem is the base, while still a force, isn't as big as it was when he was president. With DeSantis starting to emerge as an alternative it's easy to see that support chip away further, as we have been seeing in some recent polls.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2022, 07:55:03 PM »

We're talking about the party as a whole, not the Trump base. The problem is the base, while still a force, isn't as big as it was when he was president. With DeSantis starting to emerge as an alternative it's easy to see that support chip away further, as we have been seeing in some recent polls.

Even most Republicans have incorporated Trump into their personal identity. I think he needs to be out of the spotlight for that to wane.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2022, 07:59:01 PM »

Even most Republicans have incorporated Trump into their personal identity. I think he needs to be out of the spotlight for that to wane.

Republicans are campaigning on Trump to appeal to that base. That doesn't necessarily mean they are all true believers in MAGA. While some people like MTG will stick with Trump until the end I think a lot of other Republicans are ready to move onto DeSantis.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2022, 08:04:44 PM »

I don’t see any concrete way forward for the GOP.

DeSantis may help ground them, but they will never truly recover from the stain Trump has left.

This is a group who were willing to literally sacrifice democracy in Trump’s name. How do they recover from that?
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2022, 08:10:38 PM »

Move back towards Reagan or Bush style conservatism as opposed to right wing populism.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2022, 08:29:35 PM »

The next firebrand or movement figure.

Or Dems finally get their act together, find the next figure that actually causes visceral fear and hate from the GOP...but continues to win anyway, which forces them to take the same cowardly stance from which Biden was nominated.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2022, 08:33:40 PM »

Trump becoming a Democrat and campaigning for/endorsing Democrats while bashing the Republican Party.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2022, 08:46:24 PM »

Isn’t Ronny kissing Trump’s ass right now and attacking the FBI?
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2022, 08:50:20 PM »

A bad 2022 election night--or a well below than expected result.  Something like 1998.  
MiddleRoad
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2022, 09:13:42 PM »

Move back towards Reagan or Bush style conservatism as opposed to right wing populism.

Yuck. All that staid religious right “I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free”  crap? No thanks. Don’t see anything wrong with populism. Just Trump that is the issue.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2022, 09:15:08 PM »

He would need to shoot someone on Fifth Avenue... and he would need to shoot not anyone, but f***ing Ron DeSantis.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies