What would it take for the GOP to dump Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 07:06:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What would it take for the GOP to dump Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: What would it take for the GOP to dump Trump?  (Read 1798 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2022, 08:32:07 PM »

Ah, someone with all the same anti-democratic values and far right wing social and economic policies, just in a more electable package.

Not exactly a very justifiable answer.

Hes to the left of George W Bush on social issues so not really far right and also to say he and Trump have the same anti-democratic values is laughable .

Also Trump policy wise was good so I don't mind if DeSantis is like Trump policy wise

DeathSantis is out there (at a recent rally), still degrading the FBI (regarding the raid), even after there is talk about highly classified documents trump had in his possession.
How does that make your DeSantis look good to lead America?

https://us.cnn.com/videos/politics/2022/08/15/gop-arizona-rally-desantis-lake-fbi-mar-a-lago-trump-search-lah-pkg-lead-vpx.cnn
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2022, 09:09:26 AM »

I think the real problem for the GOP here is that depending on how far the more fanatic faction of the party take things, the question of “is being a domestic terrorist okay” could potentially be a wedge issues that fracture the base. This would provide the opportunity for the Democrats to flip the script and portray themselves as the party of law and order and Republicans as agents of chaos and disorder. Once that happens, and the GOP suffers humiliatingly steep electoral losses, there will be an active movement in the party to bury Trump and his associates.  
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2022, 09:12:27 AM »

I always asked myself what would happen if Trump revealed to be a liberal and anything was just a terrible joke to prove the GOP's extreme stupidity.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2022, 11:47:02 AM »

I just thought of something that could work. What if Trump is indicted and/or convicted, and Ron DeSantis runs on a explicit platform of pardoning the donald?? Implicitly puts Trump in the rearview mirror as a candidate, but still makes him a party leader/mascot/ golden calf to be protected and fought for.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2022, 12:06:50 PM »

It looks like we won't get a landslide but they Ra won't sweep either, Trump says he needs a sweep not Divided Govt in order to get reelected in 24 his chances are already diminished since D's are gonna win the 303 blue wall

After Midterms they're gonna dump Trump anyways he will be INDICTED
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2022, 01:01:05 PM »

Also Trump policy wise was good so I don't mind if DeSantis is like Trump policy wise

See, this is why so many of us Democrats roll our eyes at your cheerleading for DeSantis.

You like all of the reactionary policies of Trumpism, you just don't like the ascetics.

This sums it up pretty well:

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2022, 01:06:25 PM »

See, this is why so many of us Democrats roll our eyes at your cheerleading for DeSantis.

You like all of the reactionary policies of Trumpism, you just don't like the ascetics.

Trump domestic policy wise was basically the same as how President Jeb Bush would have been and how pretty much any establishment Republican would be like  . His foreign policy was different but frankly it was arguably the best foreign policy since HW left office (extremely low bar but still ).

The reason you guys won in 2020 was because people did not like Trump’s behavior otherwise Trump certainly gets re-elected in 2020
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2022, 01:08:10 PM »

Trump domestic policy wise was basically the same as how President Jeb Bush would have been and how pretty much any establishment Republican would be like  . His foreign policy was different but frankly it was arguably the best foreign policy since HW left office (extremely low bar but still ).

The reason you guys won in 2020 was because people did not like Trump’s behavior otherwise Trump certainly gets re-elected in 2020

...Thank you for admitting that I was correct in my assessment of you.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2022, 01:10:23 PM »

Trump would still be in the White House today if not for his behavior as people liked Trump policy wise . A CNN exit poll showed a plurality of voters approved of Trump policy wise but viewed him unfavorably
Spectator
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2022, 01:12:51 PM »

There’s a lot of mindless kook aid (yes I spelled that intentionally) drinkers/voters in my party that will follow him to the end of the earth. See the nominations of Doug Mastriano, Kari Lake, Dr. oz, Masters, Walker (though I was pleased to see Kemp and Raffensperger hold on), and many more. I’m cynical that they’ll ever move past him until he’s passed.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2022, 01:17:08 PM »

Trump would still be in the White House today if not for his behavior as people liked Trump policy wise . A CNN exit poll showed a plurality of voters approved of Trump policy wise but viewed him unfavorably

Yes OSR, I am aware. That fact is the basis of my criticism.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2022, 01:20:23 PM »

I actually find the people who switched their views on economics , social issues , or foreign policy just cause they disliked Trump to be more unprincipled.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2022, 01:21:36 PM »

I always asked myself what would happen if Trump revealed to be a liberal and anything was just a terrible joke to prove the GOP's extreme stupidity.

The base would turn on him hard , and he’d crash and burn . Trump has such a hold on the GOP precisely cause he has had a pulse on what the base has been feeling like since 2013 and basically is a mouthpiece for them .

To beat Trump you have to do that but do it better
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2022, 02:12:29 PM »

trump will never be abandoned. thank god
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2022, 02:14:45 PM »

I actually find the people who switched their views on economics , social issues , or foreign policy just cause they disliked Trump to be more unprincipled.

So Obama Trump voters are unprincipled.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2022, 02:20:10 PM »

If they changed seemingly most of their views yes otherwise no . Same with Romney Clinton actually as I really only have a major issue with those who changed their views on most of the issues after switching .

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2022, 02:24:25 PM »

If they changed seemingly most of their views yes otherwise no . Same with Romney Clinton actually as I really only have a major issue with those who changed their views on most of the issues after switching .

I get your logic but I think such switching is more common than many think and reflects how principles themselves are just a construct of our identity.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2022, 02:25:53 PM »

Honestly? Probably a serious medical issue.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2022, 02:34:50 PM »

I get your logic but I think such switching is more common than many think and reflects how principles themselves are just a construct of our identity.

Yah you do have a point there but I will say this : it is a different story if a normie switched their views when they switched sides vs people who are pundits on the media , political consultants, former politicians  do.

The normies it makes sense while for the people I mentioned it shows they were pretty much grifters .
Spectator
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2022, 02:46:45 PM »

Yah you do have a point there but I will say this : it is a different story if a normie switched their views when they switched sides vs people who are pundits on the media , political consultants, former politicians  do.

The normies it makes sense while for the people I mentioned it shows they were pretty much grifters .

I don’t think so. People can and often do genuinely change their minds, brother. I didn’t imagine ever voting for a Democrat for President but Trump drove me to voting for Biden due to his incompetence and constant drama and lies. I think it’s predisposed me to moderate or change my mind on several issues too, like abortion and environmental regulations
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2022, 03:18:50 PM »

I don’t think so. People can and often do genuinely change their minds, brother. I didn’t imagine ever voting for a Democrat for President but Trump drove me to voting for Biden due to his incompetence and constant drama and lies. I think it’s predisposed me to moderate or change my mind on several issues too, like abortion and environmental regulations

Sure you can change on a few but to change on a vast majority like many in the Lincoln project and people like Nicolle Wallace seem to have make it seem like it was grifting
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2022, 04:13:03 PM »

Yes absolutely. Dumbest group of all the four possible 2012/2016 combos.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2022, 04:22:31 PM »

Trump lost in 2020 because he didn't take the pandemic seriously and a lot of people died under his watch that may not have died otherwise. He was slow to react, initially calling it a hoax, then peddling conspiracies about it. He refused to encourage red state governors to take it seriously and turned it into a political issue.

I do agree that Trump is likely re-elected if he acted like an adult and lead the country through covid well, but that would go against Trump's personality. Since he lost, of course, things have gotten much worse for him.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2022, 04:23:54 PM »

The Rs are making the mistake that if they win the H they cracked the blue wall, news flash Obama list the H and he won reelection, Gerrymandering is only in the South not in the North the Section of the Voting Rights was repealed in the Deep South due to Apartheid, if Rs win the H it's due to Gerrymandering not because they cracked the blue wall. The Senate isn't Gerrymandering and Barnes, Ryan, Beasley and Demings and Fetterman are all winning, that's the 303 map

Also, because Rs nominated the wrong candidates in WI Michels instead of Kleefisch, they are likely to lose Gerrymandering WI, Biden isn't Hillary 2.0 he will win 303 in 24 but Harris could be that's why she will be primaries like Hillary was not in 24 but in 28

Trump won't win in 24 and if we nominate a competent D in 28 they won't win in 28 it doesn't matter if it's DeSantis, Pence or Trump Rs won't crack the Blue wall so theree
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2022, 04:24:37 PM »

Yes absolutely. Dumbest group of all the four possible 2012/2016 combos.

Not 2012/2016 but what about Clinton/Trump
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies