The GOP's obsession with the "87,000 new IRS" members
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 02:40:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The GOP's obsession with the "87,000 new IRS" members
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: The GOP's obsession with the "87,000 new IRS" members  (Read 2813 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2022, 08:31:43 PM »

The IRS has been systematically underfunded for several years. The reality is that the IRS are nt coming to repossess your home. They're nor the scary beaureaucrats in the movies. In reality, they're more like the most boring people you've ever met, except for the fact that they work long hours on less-than-ideal pay to enforce laws that Congress changes every time there's a new President with little to no consultation.

Republicans and conservatives love to denigrate civil servants, but the government would be incapable of functioning without them.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2022, 08:34:38 PM »

Listen I know there are issues and there has to be hiring increases but we should be honest of what the effect will be .

I do think for example we do need to have better customer support there and if it’s used for that then I’d support such an increase but let’s not mislead ourselves and think the largest corporations will be effects by this
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2022, 08:41:07 PM »

What is with the fetishization of small business owners? (A category that apparently includes PE subsidiaries)
Yes, pay your damn taxes.

Small businesses are the #1 provider of American jobs and wages.  44% of all U.S. economic activity comes from small businesses.

Small businesses give cities and neighborhoods a sense of place.  Local owner-managers know and are responsible to their communities, employees and customers in a way corporate ownership is not.

Of course, it's not surprising to hear today's Democrat Party disdainful of small business.  The Democrats are the party of professionals whose salaries are paid by passive investment income and government transfers; Republicans are the party of those who have to make payroll out of their own pockets. 
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2022, 08:42:12 PM »

Small businesses are the #1 provider of American jobs and wages. 

I thought that was Wal-Mart and the federal government.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2022, 08:43:37 PM »

The IRS has been systematically underfunded for several years. The reality is that the IRS are nt coming to repossess your home. They're nor the scary beaureaucrats in the movies. In reality, they're more like the most boring people you've ever met, except for the fact that they work long hours on less-than-ideal pay to enforce laws that Congress changes every time there's a new President with little to no consultation.

Republicans and conservatives love to denigrate civil servants, but the government would be incapable of functioning without them.

Well that’s what they want. They distrust the federal government that much. They want everything by to be local government. A small central government to preserve “ freedom “, and everything returned back to the local and state governments.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2022, 08:46:45 PM »

Small businesses in terms of jobs created and output have been declining for a decade now.

https://thereader.mitpress.mit.edu/small-business-job-creation-myth/
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2022, 08:49:17 PM »

The only way you can logically justify not expanding IRS headcount is if you think the IRS is doing such a great job that it doesn't need more resources. I don't think anyone, no matter their politics, thinks that is the case.

There are definitely some areas where the IRS needs more resources, like in processing a historic tax return backlog.  But only $3.2B of the $80B in the new IRS spending is earmarked for that purpose.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2022, 08:50:29 PM »

If the Democrats got to write the tax code they wanted, we'd all be working for Wal-Mart/Amazon/Panera Bread and living in the pod, yes
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2022, 08:51:31 PM »

If the Democrats got to write the tax code they wanted, we'd all be working for Wal-Mart/Amazon/Panera Bread and living in the pod, yes

Can you explain more ?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2022, 08:58:37 PM »

"Small business owners" are among the last going to suffer under this employment expansion, but a great strawman for know nothings to mythically defend.

Speaking g as one of the relatively few actual small business owners on Atlas,  I think this is long overdue and have zero fear for my company since we follow the rules.

Most people who will suffer from audits are people who can’t afford to have their taxes done at accounting firms or top notch CPA’s.

Stop with your know nothing demagoguery. Our accountant I good, but he's just a solo practitioner with a small office who handles other genuinely small businesses.

Lol! God do elitist economic right wingers like you and DT Look clumsy and foolish whenever you try to play populist, pretending to stick up for "the little guy". Lol, you're fooling no one.

I work for a small tax accounting firm as well

As usual, you are lacking any point.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2022, 09:01:15 PM »

"Small business owners" are among the last going to suffer under this employment expansion, but a great strawman for know nothings to mythically defend.

Speaking g as one of the relatively few actual small business owners on Atlas,  I think this is long overdue and have zero fear for my company since we follow the rules.

Most people who will suffer from audits are people who can’t afford to have their taxes done at accounting firms or top notch CPA’s.

This is false.
There are plenty of "smaller" tax accountant establishments out there, that know small business taxation very well (probably even better than the rookies they hire at The Big Four Accounting Firms (when I was in college, it was the Big Cool.
Badger points to this also. They do so much small business (and maybe that's all they do), that they know it like the back of their hand, and probably do not charge an arm and a leg for their work.

What about businesses that cannot afford the fees of smaller firms as well .

Please. Accounting expenses are directly proportional the size of one's business. Anything that is more than literally two guys and a Truck doing landscaping or Contracting work can and should afford the nominal expenses of an accountant to do their taxes or frankly be able to do it themselves even as a business. The same reason that any small company bothers to incorporate or form an LLC despite the nominal time and expense of doing so. What an additional straw man in the effort to reach for some coaching argument for protecting uber wealthy tax cheats who make up the broad base of the Republican donor class. Shameful and intellectually dishonest, not to mention literally immoral and illegal
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2022, 09:01:52 PM »

Can you explain more ?

The QBI deduction would not exist
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2022, 09:02:38 PM »

That post was the intellectual equivalent of flatulence
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2022, 09:02:57 PM »

This is false.
There are plenty of "smaller" tax accountant establishments out there, that know small business taxation very well (probably even better than the rookies they hire at The Big Four Accounting Firms (when I was in college, it was the Big Cool.
Badger points to this also. They do so much small business (and maybe that's all they do), that they know it like the back of their hand, and probably do not charge an arm and a leg for their work.

Please. Accounting expenses are directly proportional the size of one's business. Anything that is more than literally two guys and a Truck doing landscaping or Contracting work can and should afford the nominal expenses of an accountant to do their taxes or frankly be able to do it themselves even as a business. The same reason that any small company bothers to incorporate or form an LLC despite the nominal time and expense of doing so. What an additional straw man in the effort to reach for some coaching argument for protecting uber wealthy tax cheats who make up the broad base of the Republican donor class. Shameful and intellectually dishonest, not to mention literally immoral and illegal

A bunch of Vietnamese American stores of all kinds got busted In California last year for not properly paying taxes, because they used to only accept cash payments; to avoid credit card fees and taxes.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2022, 09:03:40 PM »

... it's not surprising to hear today's Democrat Party disdainful of small business.

Hiring new IRS employees does not prove (mean) a "disdain of small businesses."
What are you talking about?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2022, 09:05:36 PM »

This is false.

A bunch of Vietnamese American stores of all kinds got busted In California last year for not properly paying taxes, because they used to only accept cash payments; to avoid credit card fees and taxes.

Sorry, am I supposed to feel bad because some small businesses intentionally violated the tax laws while other businesses, including many immigrant businesses, follow the rules?

And let's get real. The type of so-called small businesses that osr and DT thump their chest about aren't literal mom and pop organizations like my firm with less than 10 full-time employees including the owners. Or my accountant's office for that matter. They are owners of regional car dealerships and small factories that employed hundreds of people and whose owners are millionaires and the landed gentry of their small towns. Plus regular $3,000 a plate Republican fundraiser types which, when we strip away these fake populist working for the little guy BS nostrums that they so embarrassingly trip over themselves pretending to care about, that's what it really comes down to.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2022, 09:07:15 PM »

Well that’s what they want. They distrust the federal government that much. They want everything by to be local government. A small central government to preserve “ freedom “, and everything returned back to the local and state governments.

Republicans at the state level have been removing the decision making abilities of 'blue' cities for at least the last couple years.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2022, 09:22:36 PM »

Speaking g as one of the relatively few actual small business owners on Atlas,  I think this is long overdue and have zero fear for my company since we follow the rules.

This is false.

You guys are making false assumptions of my posts . I never said they should be allowed to get away with stuff but rather that big corporations will not be effected by this change .

So you are strawmanning my point
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2022, 09:30:24 PM »

Stop with your know nothing demagoguery. Our accountant I good, but he's just a solo practitioner with a small office who handles other genuinely small businesses.

Lol! God do elitist economic right wingers like you and DT Look clumsy and foolish whenever you try to play populist, pretending to stick up for "the little guy". Lol, you're fooling no one.

No wonder they're worried about getting audited...
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2022, 09:32:24 PM »

Actually we aren’t
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2022, 09:40:58 PM »

This is false.

Sorry, am I supposed to feel bad because some small businesses intentionally violated the tax laws while other businesses, including many immigrant businesses, follow the rules?

And let's get real. The type of so-called small businesses that osr and DT thump their chest about aren't literal mom and pop organizations like my firm with less than 10 full-time employees including the owners. Or my accountant's office for that matter. They are owners of regional car dealerships and small factories that employed hundreds of people and whose owners are millionaires and the landed gentry of their small towns. Plus regular $3,000 a plate Republican fundraiser types which, when we strip away these fake populist working for the little guy BS nostrums that they so embarrassingly trip over themselves pretending to care about, that's what it really comes down to.

Well it’s not even populist.

It has been the Republican brand for the last 100 years.

The local companies vs. mega corporations.

These companies are more skill based than mine based. It’s your typical tree service company, and auto dealerships but they don’t deal with the wider economy because their products are local.

It’s a cultural divide too. Often times, these companies are family owned. Small town stuff.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2022, 09:41:37 PM »

This is false.

Also wrong person to be angry at.

I was just sharing. 🤷‍♂️
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2022, 09:47:09 PM »

I'd much rather work for a large corporation than a small business. Corporations suck but small business owners can be just as explorative, and with even less recourse.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2022, 09:49:14 PM »

I'd much rather work for a large corporation than a small business. Corporations suck but small business owners can be just as explorative, and with even less recourse.

Once again; it’s not about working for a business.

It’s about Starting your OWN business.

That’s the Republican mantra. Why work for a large corporation or depend on the government for welfare when you can start your own business and be… individualistic ?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2022, 09:52:27 PM »

Actually we aren’t

I thought your education/specialty/major was in economics.
Can I ask ...
Is this a new job for you? And what dept or area in the accounting firm, did they place you in?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies