The GOP's obsession with the "87,000 new IRS" members
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 03:58:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The GOP's obsession with the "87,000 new IRS" members
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: The GOP's obsession with the "87,000 new IRS" members  (Read 2750 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2022, 07:24:51 PM »

"Small business owners" are among the last going to suffer under this employment expansion, but a great strawman for know nothings to mythically defend.

Speaking g as one of the relatively few actual small business owners on Atlas,  I think this is long overdue and have zero fear for my company since we follow the rules.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2022, 07:32:02 PM »

"Small business owners" are among the last going to suffer under this employment expansion, but a great strawman for know nothings to mythically defend.

Speaking g as one of the relatively few actual small business owners on Atlas,  I think this is long overdue and have zero fear for my company since we follow the rules.

Most people who will suffer from audits are people who can’t afford to have their taxes done at accounting firms or top notch CPA’s.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2022, 07:34:08 PM »

The only way you can logically justify not expanding IRS headcount is if you think the IRS is doing such a great job that it doesn't need more resources. I don't think anyone, no matter their politics, thinks that is the case.

If you think the tax code is broken, you fix the tax code. The IRS only exists to administer the tax system the legislative branch created.
Waldo

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2022, 07:38:36 PM »

It wasn't too long ago when Democrats were weaponizing the IRS to specifically target Tea Party members. Now they want 87,000 more agents. As has been seen countless times, if something can be used to harass political rivals, Democrats will use it.

I've owned a small business. My first year, I foolishly thought I could do my own taxes. The problem is that the tax code, particularly for businesses, is so vague and difficult to understand that even the most well-intentioned CPA with years of experience can make a mistake, and that mistake can cost small businesses owners thousands in attorney fees alone. An audit is a brutal and expensive process. If you've never filed taxes for anything other than yourself, you know nothing about business taxes and should probably get off your soap box until you know what you're talking about.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2022, 07:40:41 PM »

Most people who will suffer from audits are people who can’t afford to have their taxes done at accounting firms or top notch CPA’s.

Stop with your know nothing demagoguery. Our accountant I good, but he's just a solo practitioner with a small office who handles other genuinely small businesses.

Lol! God do elitist economic right wingers like you and DT Look clumsy and foolish whenever you try to play populist, pretending to stick up for "the little guy". Lol, you're fooling no one.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2022, 07:41:09 PM »

This thing called Turbo Tax is remarkably effective, Waldo.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2022, 07:41:54 PM »

It wasn't too long ago when Democrats were weaponizing the IRS to specifically target Tea Party members. Now they want 87,000 more agents. As has been seen countless times, if something can be used to harass political rivals, Democrats will use it.

I've owned a small business. My first year, I foolishly thought I could do my own taxes. The problem is that the tax code, particularly for businesses, is so vague and difficult to understand that even the most well-intentioned CPA with years of experience can make a mistake, and that mistake can cost small businesses owners thousands in attorney fees alone. An audit is a brutal and expensive process. If you've never filed taxes for anything other than yourself, you know nothing about business taxes and should probably get off your soap box until you know what you're talking about.

I haven't heard that one in awhile. I'm sure you don't care, but that's been long-debunked.
Waldo

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2022, 07:42:10 PM »

This thing called Turbo Tax is remarkably effective, Waldo.

If he was TurboTax for a business, you're an idiot and you'll probably get audited.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2022, 07:44:05 PM »

"The law is broken and hard to understand so we shouldn't even try to enforce it"
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2022, 07:47:13 PM »

Stop with your know nothing demagoguery. Our accountant I good, but he's just a solo practitioner with a small office who handles other genuinely small businesses.

Lol! God do elitist economic right wingers like you and DT Look clumsy and foolish whenever you try to play populist, pretending to stick up for "the little guy". Lol, you're fooling no one.

I work for a small tax accounting firm as well
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2022, 07:51:25 PM »

Jesus Harold Christ
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2022, 07:55:42 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2022, 08:21:42 PM by ProudModerate2 »

Speaking g as one of the relatively few actual small business owners on Atlas,  I think this is long overdue and have zero fear for my company since we follow the rules.

This is false.
There are plenty of "smaller" tax accountant establishments out there, that know small business taxation very well (probably even better than the rookies they hire at The Big Four Accounting Firms (when I was in college, it was the Big 8 ).
Badger points to this also. They do so much small business (and maybe that's all they do), that they know it like the back of their hand, and probably do not charge an arm and a leg for their work.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2022, 08:07:17 PM »

If Republicans cared about small businesses;, they would realize that some type of universal healthcare for example is a big boost to small business owners.

Health care costs, are the most impactful for small firms.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2022, 08:13:19 PM »

Oh lord I hope your clients don’t end up in jail
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2022, 08:15:45 PM »

This is false.
There are plenty of "smaller" tax accountant establishments out there, that know small business taxation very well (probably even better than the rookies they hire at The Big Four Accounting Firms (when I was in college, it was the Big Cool.
Badger points to this also. They do so much small business (and maybe that's all they do), that they know it like the back of their hand, and probably do not charge an arm and a leg for their work.

What about businesses that cannot afford the fees of smaller firms as well .
Spectator
United States

« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2022, 08:17:08 PM »

This is false.
There are plenty of "smaller" tax accountant establishments out there, that know small business taxation very well (probably even better than the rookies they hire at The Big Four Accounting Firms (when I was in college, it was the Big Cool.

So they should be able to break the law? That’s essentially what you’re implying.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2022, 08:17:15 PM »

The revenue department needs to be properly funded so that it can do its job and collect the taxes it is entitled to. Come on, there is no use having it exist on paper only.

Plus we all know there are plenty of complicated tax evasion examples out there that a well-resourced revenue service is needed to deal with, like a certain billionaire or near-billionaire who only paid $750 in tax.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2022, 08:19:52 PM »

The revenue department needs to be properly funded so that it can do its job and collect the taxes it is entitled to. Come on, there is no use having it exist on paper only.

Plus we all know there are plenty of complicated tax evasion examples out there that a well-resourced revenue service is needed to deal with, like a certain billionaire or near-billionaire who only paid $750 in tax.

In a normal country; it would be expected.

But you're talking about a political party; which has carried the classic American tradition of " No taxation without representation ". And of a weak central government. Anti government stuff.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2022, 08:21:13 PM »

Why are you responding this way
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2022, 08:21:51 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2022, 08:24:59 PM by Old School Republican »

Speaking g as one of the relatively few actual small business owners on Atlas,  I think this is long overdue and have zero fear for my company since we follow the rules.

This is false.

So they should be able to break the law? That’s essentially what you’re implying.

No that is not what I am saying .

I am just saying I absolutely do not trust the idea that this will be used to target big corporations  more than small businesses
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2022, 08:24:28 PM »

In a normal country; it would be expected.

But you're talking about a political party; which has carried the classic American tradition of " No taxation without representation ". And of a weak central government. Anti government stuff.

Not funding the tax service properly is more like an anarchist position than a sensible fiscal conservative position.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2022, 08:24:49 PM »

This is false.

No that is not what I am saying

That is the logical conclusion of what you’re arguing. I’m all for paying less taxes too, btw. But it pisses me off that some people think they should be entitled to get away with paying nothing because they can’t run a sufficiently profitable business.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2022, 08:26:02 PM »

This is false.

No that is not what I am saying

That is the logical conclusion of what you’re arguing. I’m all for paying less taxes too, btw. But it pisses me off that some people think they should be entitled to get away with paying nothing because they can’t run a sufficiently profitable business.

No , all I am saying is the justification for doing this expansion is bs . Big Corporations are likely not to get effected as much from this a small businesses so be upfront about this rather than mislead the public .
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2022, 08:26:53 PM »

#HotTake: every part of the federal government should be on a massive hiring spree, END OF STORY!
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2022, 08:28:48 PM »

This is false.
There are plenty of "smaller" tax accountant establishments out there, that know small business taxation very well (probably even better than the rookies they hire at The Big Four Accounting Firms (when I was in college, it was the Big 8 ).

If this is the case, then these small businesses, are very small.
In that case, a good powerful accounting system program (Intuit's Quick Books, comes to mind), accompanied by a matching year-end tax program, that grabs the information directly from your "books," could do the job.

It's a matter of properly breaking-down all your receipts and purchases, all year long (as you do your normal accounting), and making sure you properly attach every "relevant" cost (or revenue) to it's proper account. As long as you are doing this, every day or week during the normal processes of handling your business, then it makes the year-end taxation process easier on your tax guy (or you, if you are attempting to do them yourself).
If you are waiting to the end of the year, to look at every single transaction and break it all down at the time, then it's going to be a hell of a frustrating job.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies