FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 10:40:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 ... 131
Author Topic: FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)  (Read 122071 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1775 on: August 31, 2022, 06:43:26 PM »

What is he on the ballot for in November?

Agree.

Why should the election have any bearing here? Trump isn’t on the ballot.

Garland is doing his best to avoid the appearance of a politically motivated investigation.  That won't sway any of Trump's core supporters, but it's still the right move.

Trump and his MAGA enablers will always cry foul and accuse the Justice Department of a political motives, no matter when they announce something or how much hard evidence they gathered. Garland should really not be intimitated by their lazy talkingpoints.

If they wait until after the midterms, the presidential cycle is about to start, so the argument will then change from "politicall motivated for swing the midterms" to "politically motivated to stop Trump from running again." There's no perfect point in time unless you want to let him off the hook and send a signal that cult leaders and/or former presidents are above the law.

60 days for that to be in play. So after the midterms two years less 60 days to file an indictment - a 22 month window.
ugabug
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -4.35

« Reply #1776 on: August 31, 2022, 06:59:14 PM »

So then they didn't plant them at least. Guess that talking point is out.
Never underestimate the Trumpists ability for double think.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1777 on: August 31, 2022, 07:22:02 PM »

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1778 on: August 31, 2022, 07:26:41 PM »

I'd say there's about a 40% chance Trump is indicted.  But even if he isn't, the DOJ could still release all the information they have and Democrats could move quickly to get a third impeachment trial if they hold the House (or even in the lame duck session).
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1779 on: August 31, 2022, 08:50:44 PM »

Well I guess that settles the question of whether outsiders had access to these documents.

Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1780 on: August 31, 2022, 08:50:55 PM »

This is so embarrassing.

LOCK THEM UP!

It looks like threats to public officials doing their job, and hence obstruction of justice.

LOCK THEM UP!

(only if duly convicted in a court of law, of course).

Democrats are the party of law and order.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1781 on: August 31, 2022, 09:03:32 PM »

Well I guess that settles the question of whether outsiders had access to these documents.

Trump's lawyers are so incompetent I now believe he keeps classified papers on his floor.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1782 on: August 31, 2022, 09:08:24 PM »

Trump's lawyers are so incompetent I now believe he keeps classified papers on his floor.

I cannot believe these people don’t know enough to STOP TALKING. When you’re in a hole, the first rule is to stop digging it deeper!
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1783 on: August 31, 2022, 09:28:41 PM »

In their response they say they won't address 15 pages of the filing (which is where the bulk of the damning info is) and they also say classified material should have been expected to be found in his records at MAL.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #1784 on: August 31, 2022, 09:31:04 PM »

Just continuing to reinforce that they have no legal arguments and all they have is a political argument.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1785 on: August 31, 2022, 11:05:07 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2022, 11:22:36 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Hopefully after the Rs defeat in Nov it will end Trumpism for good Palin loss is a start she was the first to endorse TRUMP

Believe even if we keep tye Senate and lose the H iits a defeat for Trump he need R Govs in WI, PA and MI to certify his EC victory abd an R Sen before 24 so they net gain WV, OH and MT in 24 so they can ratify his right wing judges so a draw isn't good for TRUMP but it's a good chance we can now hold tye Trifecta

No one wants to Def R party but it needs to detatch itself from Trump he isn't the R party before he ran for Prez he never held political office I rather had Jeb win than Trump .

He instigatd  Voter Suppression laws

This isn't just a 303 map scenario we are gonna win red states Ryan and Beasley are winning 2020 was before the insurrection regardless if we hold the H or not thats why Tom McDermott is kneck and kneck abd we just won AK so users keep saying WI, FL, OH and NC are Lean R its wave insurance put it on your map the maps are blank on Eday no ratings

If you truly are a D you want to lose pts on over predict not underpredict because Act blue always talk about blue wave not just 303 seats they always talk about how good Ryan is they jumped Strickland and Bullock and Joe Kennedy up Joe Kennedy ran in MA not MD where his Shriver cuz are
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1786 on: September 01, 2022, 06:55:47 AM »

The filing by Trump's lawyers still fantasizes that Trump can assert executive privilege, does not address the issue that Trump had the case of the slows in asking for a special master, seems to suggest that attorney client privileged documents were in the storage room rather than just the office, so the special master should look at everything, and then suggests that the documents should be run by Trump's lawyers so that their beady little eyes can look at the documents.

One thing that puzzles me, is that information in attorney client privileged documents can't be used to prosecute Trump unless subject to the crime fraud exception, so what is the big deal? I am not sure who has the right to possess such documents, if the privileged documents concern advice involving Trump's duties as President, rather than something entirely personal.

In contradistinction to the DOJ filing, I found this one somewhat discursive and disorganized, and light on legal authority, including sometimes misstating it. He is just not getting the best lawyers. So sad.

Finally, other than Trump's lawyers being desperate to know what the government has (they will know soon enough if he is indicted), what do they accomplish by delaying matters for a month or whatever?  Trump isn't going to be indicted until Christmas at the earliest if Garland chooses to go there.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1787 on: September 01, 2022, 07:09:57 AM »

There's always a tweetclip.

I know, I know. Pointing out the hypocrisy of Republicans is like pointing out that water is wet. But it bears repeating that the goal of the GOP is the destruction of rule of law in order to enable their own abuse. It is important that we do not become numb to the endless stream of Republican falsehoods. Trump needs to be brought to justice, and the Republican Party destroyed as a political force.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1788 on: September 01, 2022, 07:59:49 AM »

this photo is insane to me, if this photo was taken at my house or yours, we'd be in prison.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1789 on: September 01, 2022, 08:09:47 AM »

I know, I know. Pointing out the hypocrisy of Republicans is like pointing out that water is wet. But it bears repeating that the goal of the GOP is the destruction of rule of law in order to enable their own abuse. It is important that we do not become numb to the endless stream of Republican falsehoods. Trump needs to be brought to justice, and the Republican Party destroyed as a political force.

"tHaT's NoT wHaT hE mEaNt!!!1!!!"
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1790 on: September 01, 2022, 08:40:30 AM »

This is unbelievably clever: a summary of the Mar-a-Lago search written in the style of Dr. Seuss.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1791 on: September 01, 2022, 08:47:35 AM »

"tHaT's NoT wHaT hE mEaNt!!!1!!!"

No one will be above the law... except me. Because I AM the state. Muhahahahahahaha.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1792 on: September 01, 2022, 08:51:34 AM »

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1793 on: September 01, 2022, 08:56:45 AM »

He's pretty much stuck with clowns and part-time TV lawyers such as Giuliani. No competent lawyer wants to work for that orange buffoon in the first place. Not even for the money, which he may not even pay in the end. So why risk your name becoming radioactive by working for him? And even if you somehow constructed a defense, Trump is so undisciplined that goes on Fox or "Truth" Social the next day and says something to the contrary.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1794 on: September 01, 2022, 09:09:56 AM »

I still don't understand this claim, repeated ad nauseum in the media, in light of the tweet that opens this thread.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #1795 on: September 01, 2022, 12:32:21 PM »

The new completely deranged Trump line is "I think they were looking for Hillary Clinton emails". Because, you know, that's something that would be at Trump's house.

F***ing mental.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #1796 on: September 01, 2022, 12:48:06 PM »

His boss might haven given them to him after finding them in 2016. After all, that is what Trump asked for.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1797 on: September 01, 2022, 01:06:41 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1798 on: September 01, 2022, 01:24:50 PM »