Mexico offers GPS units to illegals to aid crossing journey into the US
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:15:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mexico offers GPS units to illegals to aid crossing journey into the US
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Mexico offers GPS units to illegals to aid crossing journey into the US  (Read 4905 times)
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2007, 05:26:17 AM »

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_print.asp?art_id=35131&sid=11554548

Mexico offers satnav to illegals crossing into the US

Would-be illegal immigrants planning to cross the desert and enter the United States on foot are to be given hand-held satellite devices by the Mexican authorities to ensure they arrive safely.

Justin Stares

Monday, January 01, 2007

Would-be illegal immigrants planning to cross the desert and enter the United States on foot are to be given hand-held satellite devices by the Mexican authorities to ensure they arrive safely.
Those who get lost or fall sick during the dangerous four-day crossing will be able to activate the device, to alert frontier police on both sides of the border.

The satellite tracking service will require would-be illegals to register their intentions before setting off - a paradoxical move, given that secrecy is necessary for success - but Mexican authorities are predicting that about 200,000 devices will be handed out when the project is launched formally in the coming year.

"Our intention is to save lives," said Jaime Obregon, the coordinator for the state commission for migrants in Puebla, the Mexican state which is behind the project. "There are lots of people looking to cross and we are working with the US authorities to make sure they do not die on the way."

Between 20 and 30 migrants succumb to hellish temperatures and insect bites while trying to cross into Arizona every year. Heat exhaustion sometimes causes short-term memory loss, with trekkers wandering into the desert.

The route into Arizona, known as the Sasave Pass, is both the most common and the most dangerous way into the United States. According to Mexican state migrant authorities, up to 75,000 try the crossing every month, of whom 50,000 to 60,000 are caught by US border patrols and sent back.

The chance of success depends greatly on the knowledge of the guide, known as a "coyote" or "desert fox." They charge US$2,000 (HK$15,600) to US$10,000 per person.

Coyotes are merciless if a member of their pack lags behind. "If you cannot keep up they will abandon you." Obregon said. "Alone, you have about 36 hours to live. It is in this period the satellite device makes a difference."

A spokesman for US Customs and Border Protection said: "We do not have any information about the Mexican government providing satellite trackers to people, but we strongly discourage encouragement to people who are attempting to cross illegally into the United States."

Well, well, well, how do you like them apples?

fb
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 08:31:21 AM »

National Guard on the boarder is what's needed. Then they can turn most of the illegals back to Mexico. We need to also start pressuing the Mexican government, they're supposed to help guard the boarder but they don't want to.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 09:25:44 AM »

Start taking over Mexico state by state if they keep sending in Illegals as punishment.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 12:08:36 PM »

Of all the nerve...

I sincerely hope that our next president takes the threat of illegal immigration seriously. What's next? They are giving them GPS devices now, what's to stop them from giving them weapons tomorrow? This is really something that need be cracked down on.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 12:46:50 PM »

I'm guessing that this money would be better spent on projects inside Mexico to actually make them a livable country.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 03:10:15 PM »

I'm guessing that this money would be better spent on projects inside Mexico to actually make them a livable country.

Maybe their plan is to send all the poor people to the US so they'll only have middle class and wealthy people there and thus a livable country?
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 03:18:17 PM »

Armed Mexicans invaded our country and attacked the national guard and our President is doing nothing about it. The national guard had to retreat and was not allowed to return fire. We should just do to our Southern Border what Mexico does to theirs.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 03:31:46 PM »

Armed Mexicans invaded our country and attacked the national guard and our President is doing nothing about it. The national guard had to retreat and was not allowed to return fire. We should just do to our Southern Border what Mexico does to theirs.

What is that exactly?  I'm not familiar with Mexico's policy on its southern border.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 04:02:33 PM »

Start taking over Mexico state by state if they keep sending in Illegals as punishment.

no, because then that would make those areas "American" and it would give the illegals what they want-to be in America.  Not a good plan.  If anything we should renig on the Gadsden Purchase to make it an extra kick in the face for the border jumpers.
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 04:35:56 PM »

Ding ding ding!  We have a winner!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 05:27:11 PM »

Maybe their plan is to send all the poor people to the US so they'll only have middle class and wealthy people there and thus a livable country?

I knew Calderon was behind this!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 05:42:37 PM »

That's actually a pretty reasonable theory.  I can't honestly think of any other reason why the Mexican government would be so keen to get rid of their own citizens.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 05:58:53 PM »

What is that exactly?  I'm not familiar with Mexico's policy on its southern border.

NO ONE crosses thier southern border, Mexico has the toughest illigal immigration policy in North America
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 06:06:19 PM »

Why do I have a feeling that Mexico and the US will eventually go to war over this?
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 06:11:29 PM »

That's actually a pretty reasonable theory.  I can't honestly think of any other reason why the Mexican government would be so keen to get rid of their own citizens.

I can, and anyone who bothered to read the article rather than just jump straight to writing a kneejerk response formatted to fit their political philosophy could, too.

Illegal immigrants come here for economic reasons, nothing else.  They die by the thousands trying.  The US gov't doesn't do enough to try to keep them from dying of thirst in the desert.  It is a humanitarian gesture to help keep very poor people from starving while trying to make it to a better life. 

Sitting in your pious righteousness while you sip a latte and watch your big screen TV, you probably have no concept of this.  You pass judgement from inside  the castle on the poor peasants trying to scale the walls and falling to their deaths in the moat below.  Admirable.

No thought is given to the root causes of the economic injustice which perpetuates this problem.  You simply seek a convenient target to blame.  "Oh, it's all the Mexican government's fault."  No thought is given to why they would be willing to risk their lives to escape abject poverty, or why that poverty exists in the first place.

Ever think that the Mexican government might actually have some concern for their citizens who are wandering and dying in the desert??  Duh!!

'Coyotes are merciless if a member of their pack lags behind. "If you cannot keep up they will abandon you." Obregon said. "Alone, you have about 36 hours to live. It is in this period the satellite device makes a difference."'

Think more.

fb
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2007, 06:11:57 PM »

Why do I have a feeling that Mexico and the US will eventually go to war over this?
Because you are an idiot.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 06:20:06 PM »

Illegal immigrants come here for economic reasons, nothing else.  They die by the thousands trying.  The US gov't doesn't do enough to try to keep them from dying of thirst in the desert.  It is a humanitarian gesture to help keep very poor people from starving while trying to make it to a better life.

'Humanitarian gestures' may apply just so long as they adhere to our laws of the land.  If they can't respect that, why should we respect them?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh quit the 'holier than thou' attitude.  It's tiresome.

Also, give me a good reason why I should care about the 'peasants' you speak of.
Conan
conan

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007, 06:20:30 PM »

Mexico is really pushing it. It's time for economic sanctions.
Conan
conan

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2007, 06:22:54 PM »

Actually we do a lot to help them. And we do this knowingly that they are trying to break our laws.
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2007, 06:24:03 PM »

'Humanitarian gestures' may apply just so long as they adhere to our laws of the land.  If they can't respect that, why should we respect them?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh quit the 'holier than thou' attitude.  It's tiresome.

Also, give me a good reason why I should care about the 'peasants' you speak of.

Not intertested.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2007, 06:25:56 PM »

You're not "intertested" (sic) in debating an issue you brought to light?  How very lazy of you.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2007, 06:43:02 PM »

That with the wall and enough national guards on the boarder who are allowed to fire on people who fire at them.
Conan
conan

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2007, 06:48:30 PM »

That with the wall and enough national guards on the boarder who are allowed to fire on people who fire at them.
We can build a smart wall that requires few guards. But if they are fired at then they should be allowed to fire back and cross into Mexico to kill. It's sad that Mexico keeps pushing against our policy but to make them stop we would have nothing else to do but economic sanctions which happens to be the problem why people come here. Otherwise they dont care what we say.
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2007, 07:09:01 PM »

You're not "intertested" (sic) in debating an issue you brought to light?  How very lazy of you.

Ok fine, you should care about the well-being of other human beings because it's the right thing to do.

fb
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2007, 07:26:17 PM »

Ok fine, you should care about the well-being of other human beings because it's the right thing to do.

fb

I'll care about their well-being provided they respect the legal channels that are in place to deal with their desires.  Otherwise, I honestly don't mind if the buzzards feast on a bunch of criminals.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies